October 22 - Get ready to go to school with The Sims 4 Discover University Expansion Pack! >> Click here for the orientation video.
October 18 - Take a look at the Friday Highlight and discover some awesim discussions! Click me!
October 10 - A new The Sims 4 update is ready for you on Xbox One and PlayStation 4! Details here

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

  • AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 39 Member
    The moment a TS5 game is out, is the moment a TS6 game will be requested. Thats what I feel
    ... And I think that the expectation of a TS5 game was the main thing that caused the sales of the early TS4 to sunken.

    So, personally I wouldn't create a TS5 game I would aim to offer a "engine" update. So I can publish a "New Game" that feels different, yet can be born rich by using the resources I allready have. And avoid the "expecting for the next The Sims" trap.
    Packs: Get to work, Get together, City Living, Cats & Dogs, Get Famous, Outdoor Retreat, Vampires, Jungle Adventure, Strangerville, Romantic Garden, Spooky Stuff.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,456 Member
    edited June 28
    Sucom wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    So I don't quite understand what is wrong with Island Living?

    Read all the posts on the forum that complain about it including right in this thread. You can't avoid it, lol!
    I see nothing wrong with it and if I wanted Sims 4 to be a rehash of past games I wouldn't have bought it.

    That is based on what you think about IL, other people have different ideas and opinions that differs from yours and that is okay.
    Ok but you need to realize this isn't Sims 2 or 3 and it doesn't need to measure up to either game.

    It DOES have to measure up to Sims 2 and 3 because it's part of the series. They should have made TS4 it's own game. That way it wouldn't have to live up to the previous better iterations.

    I agree. It DOES and SHOULD match up with Sims 2 and 3 because it's supposed to be a follow on from those games. Sims 4 is definitely NOT a follow on. Sms 4 changed the criteria right from the outset and right from the outset, in terms of being a follow on, it was lacking. Everyone who has played Sims 2 and 3 already knows that. It's not a belief, it's a fact. EA know it, long time players know it.

    Sims 4 is ok as a stand alone game. It's .... ok. But that's it. If I look at it from the perspective of being an extended, better version of Sims 2 or Sims 3, then no, it's not ok. It's lacking.
    Its not lacking you just expect the game to be open world no loading screens. You expect everything they put out to be Sims 3 quality and to be honest Sims 3 wasn't that good. I have more fun playing Sims 4 then I did Sims 3. I had more issues and more game breaking immersive issues with Sims 3. It was so much fun to play and when you come back from vacation in that game to have your 4 generation families family tree all messed up beyond fixing. It was so much fun to have to use mods to fix the problems that game had. That game was a big buggy mess. Also when I do go back to Sims 3 there are things in Sims 4 that make Sims 3 boring now. I am a long time simmer of the franchise I started with The Sims.

    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 524 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    So I don't quite understand what is wrong with Island Living?

    Read all the posts on the forum that complain about it including right in this thread. You can't avoid it, lol!
    I see nothing wrong with it and if I wanted Sims 4 to be a rehash of past games I wouldn't have bought it.

    That is based on what you think about IL, other people have different ideas and opinions that differs from yours and that is okay.
    Ok but you need to realize this isn't Sims 2 or 3 and it doesn't need to measure up to either game.

    It DOES have to measure up to Sims 2 and 3 because it's part of the series. They should have made TS4 it's own game. That way it wouldn't have to live up to the previous better iterations.

    I agree. It DOES and SHOULD match up with Sims 2 and 3 because it's supposed to be a follow on from those games. Sims 4 is definitely NOT a follow on. Sms 4 changed the criteria right from the outset and right from the outset, in terms of being a follow on, it was lacking. Everyone who has played Sims 2 and 3 already knows that. It's not a belief, it's a fact. EA know it, long time players know it.

    Sims 4 is ok as a stand alone game. It's .... ok. But that's it. If I look at it from the perspective of being an extended, better version of Sims 2 or Sims 3, then no, it's not ok. It's lacking.

    Yeah, EA should rebrand TS4 as a separate Sims game for pre-teens with a new name like, "The Sims - My World: Pre-Teen Edition". And then crown TS5 (that follows after TS2 and TS3) as the REAL TS4.

  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,686 Member
    If they create a game which allows players freedom to create their own worlds or their own environments, and they create a game where people can add their own colours to objects, sims and clothes and focussed on all players different needs - ie. give them the tools for freedom to create from the players' own imaginations, they wouldn't need to think up new things for the Sims. Players would have all the tools they need to create for themselves. What could be better than that? Who could ask for more?

    All players are different; all players' needs and expectations are different. Focus should be on creating tools for players to create for themselves. That would be so much better. If I had this in a game, I wouldn't ever want to play a different one because my imagination PLUS tools to utilise my imagination to the full, would be absolutely magical.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 524 Member
    Alexciel wrote: »
    The moment a TS5 game is out, is the moment a TS6 game will be requested. Thats what I feel
    ... And I think that the expectation of a TS5 game was the main thing that caused the sales of the early TS4 to sunken.

    So, personally I wouldn't create a TS5 game I would aim to offer a "engine" update. So I can publish a "New Game" that feels different, yet can be born rich by using the resources I allready have. And avoid the "expecting for the next The Sims" trap.

    Well, the way the routine used to be: When the base game of an iteration is released, they start building the engine for the next one. So when the base game for TS2 was released back in 2004, they were already working on TS3's base game. TS2's sales didn't suffer just because they were already working on TS3. The same thing with TS3 when they were already working on TS4. As a matter of fact it did better.

    For whatever reason, they wanted TS4 to be online, but when the online version of SimCity didn't work out, they converted what they already had - the Olympus base game - into TS4. It was a very poor product from the start and it is its own reason why it isn't do so well, not the anticipation of TS5.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,393 Member
    edited June 28
    Alexciel wrote: »
    The moment a TS5 game is out, is the moment a TS6 game will be requested. Thats what I feel
    ... And I think that the expectation of a TS5 game was the main thing that caused the sales of the early TS4 to sunken.

    So, personally I wouldn't create a TS5 game I would aim to offer a "engine" update. So I can publish a "New Game" that feels different, yet can be born rich by using the resources I allready have. And avoid the "expecting for the next The Sims" trap.

    For whatever reason, they wanted TS4 to be online, but when the online version of SimCity didn't work out, they converted what they already had - the Olympus base game - into TS4. It was a very poor product from the start and it is its own reason why it isn't do so well, not the anticipation of TS5.

    Exactly, I just hope with TS5 they focus on delivering a good, solid base game.

    No online multiplayer. No gigantic cupcake machines. Just simple objects that can be used more often like lounge chairs or dishwashers.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,333 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    So I don't quite understand what is wrong with Island Living?

    Read all the posts on the forum that complain about it including right in this thread. You can't avoid it, lol!
    I see nothing wrong with it and if I wanted Sims 4 to be a rehash of past games I wouldn't have bought it.

    That is based on what you think about IL, other people have different ideas and opinions that differs from yours and that is okay.
    Ok but you need to realize this isn't Sims 2 or 3 and it doesn't need to measure up to either game.

    He/she accepts you have a different opinion and said it's okay, let this person have her/his own opinion, period.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,393 Member
    edited June 28
    I hope TS5 also focuses on world editing, like adding our own lots, changing the terrain or streets, adding or removing trees, etc.

    Also open worlds or at least open neighborhoods that each have more than 10 lots.
    david-le-merrer-6.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 274 Member
    edited June 28
    Maxis isn't what it used to be. Will left back in 2009 I believe, which was a serious loss, as he's easily one of the greatest developers in the industry. He's called out EA's mistakes when it comes to broken content in the past (particularly with SimCity). He worked directly on The Sims and his vision was revered for The Sims 2.

    Maxis as long time Simmers know them were effectively shut down back in 2015 after EA closed Maxis Emeryville. Again, the final nail would have been the disastrous SimCity launch along with The Sims 4 having a poor opening run (The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million in its first week whilst it took The Sims 4 over three months to hit the same figure). Development has always been messy.

    It's been mentioned already but the fact they used a scrapped project (Olympus) as a base for 4 is awful. Laziness literally from day one. The game was built to run in an entirely different fashion to what we see now and the way it handles the number of variables is poor as a result. Issues like simulation lag stem from that.

    One of the absolute biggest things is that the community has to stop excusing poor practice if the series is ever going to improve. They like to pass the buck, saying that Maxis answers to EA, which is only true under certain circumstances. Richard Hilleman, EA's Chief Creative Officer, said:

    "That title exists in other businesses... usually the person is responsible for editing essentially the content that's produced by the organisation. I don't get to do that job. The way that EA's organised is we are essentially twenty or so little tiny companies that are in the football business or the FIFA soccer business or they are in a very specific business and they have a very direct relationship with their customer, they have their own creative organisation, they have a really clear vision of where they are going."
    DJsVk3j.png
    Simming since 2000
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 253 Member
    Hopefully Sims 4 will end later this year,and we'll get to have Sims 5 next year. In the meantime,i'll be mostly sticking to Minecraft and Angry Birds.

  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 10,434 Member
    edited June 28
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    So I don't quite understand what is wrong with Island Living?

    Read all the posts on the forum that complain about it including right in this thread. You can't avoid it, lol!
    I see nothing wrong with it and if I wanted Sims 4 to be a rehash of past games I wouldn't have bought it.

    That is based on what you think about IL, other people have different ideas and opinions that differs from yours and that is okay.
    Ok but you need to realize this isn't Sims 2 or 3 and it doesn't need to measure up to either game.

    And again that is your opinion and I have mine, believe I know the difference between all Sims games thank you much. >:)
    AMD 2700X 16 GB AMD Radeon 590 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB Recon PCIE 3D LG Ultrawide 34"
    AMD FX 8350 16 GB AMD Radeon 390 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB Z Samsung 27"
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 243 Member
    Well, it's going to last as long as they can decide it is profitable for them to keep it going. I won't cry when it does come to an end, but as long as I feel the enjoyment I get out of the packs they put out is worth what I spend on them I won't wish for it's hastened demise either.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    Well, the gurus love to keep hammering it into or brains that the series has no planned end date, so the end could be years away. With how lackluster the most recent packs have been, I'm nervous for the future ones. I really don't see why they're wanting to drag it out for so long, anyway. But I guess it's kind of a positive for me, since that's more time for them to work on updating babies.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,456 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    So I don't quite understand what is wrong with Island Living?

    Read all the posts on the forum that complain about it including right in this thread. You can't avoid it, lol!
    I see nothing wrong with it and if I wanted Sims 4 to be a rehash of past games I wouldn't have bought it.

    That is based on what you think about IL, other people have different ideas and opinions that differs from yours and that is okay.
    Ok but you need to realize this isn't Sims 2 or 3 and it doesn't need to measure up to either game.

    It DOES have to measure up to Sims 2 and 3 because it's part of the series. They should have made TS4 it's own game. That way it wouldn't have to live up to the previous better iterations.

    I agree. It DOES and SHOULD match up with Sims 2 and 3 because it's supposed to be a follow on from those games. Sims 4 is definitely NOT a follow on. Sms 4 changed the criteria right from the outset and right from the outset, in terms of being a follow on, it was lacking. Everyone who has played Sims 2 and 3 already knows that. It's not a belief, it's a fact. EA know it, long time players know it.

    Sims 4 is ok as a stand alone game. It's .... ok. But that's it. If I look at it from the perspective of being an extended, better version of Sims 2 or Sims 3, then no, it's not ok. It's lacking.
    Its not lacking you just expect the game to be open world no loading screens. You expect everything they put out to be Sims 3 quality and to be honest Sims 3 wasn't that good. I have more fun playing Sims 4 then I did Sims 3. I had more issues and more game breaking immersive issues with Sims 3. It was so much fun to play and when you come back from vacation in that game to have your 4 generation families family tree all messed up beyond fixing. It was so much fun to have to use mods to fix the problems that game had. That game was a big buggy mess. Also when I do go back to Sims 3 there are things in Sims 4 that make Sims 3 boring now. I am a long time simmer of the franchise I started with The Sims.

    Ignoring the open world since that isn’t happening, it’s still lacking. Like how many staple base game features are we missing? It’s cool that you settle for less, but I find it ridiculous to discourage other people from expecting and called for more. Sims 4 is NOT high quality, especially the newer things they’re releasing!
    I am not settling for less I see the Sims 4 as a platform to be creative and tell stories. When you have possibly experienced my bugs in Sims 3 or traveling bugs I had where 4 generation were ruined by the bugs you would understand my point. These things took me out of the game and they were also beyond being able to fix. 4 generations is a huge deal and if your family tree gets messed up because all you did was send them on vacation and it wasn’t repairable that’s not good. The only thing that has happened and it wasn’t game breaking or immersion breaking in the Sims 4 was a eye color glitch. I love this series I stand by this series but I don’t want rehash of older games in the series even Sims 3. Sims 3 was buggy it was fun when it first came out but I get bored with it now. Sims 4 has unique gameplay in my opinion It has so much to do and I doubt you have even done everything in the game. My game style of playing is telling fun drama related stories and seeing what my sims do in certain situations and that’s how I develop who they are going to be. Sometimes I like to explore my sims having lives with their boyfriends or girlfriends that they grew up with. Other times I like to explore maybe one of my sims doesn’t quite feel like they like the opposite gender so they date their gender or they just want to focus on careers and they don’t want a family of their own. My point is that it’s a creative platform no matter if you think it’s lacking in content it’s a platform to tell stories that you can only imagine and it’s a platform to share experiences or share content you make. That is what the Sims Series is.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 1,891 Member
    edited June 29
    I just want the game to be completed for sims 4 players so they will be happy and content with the game when it does end. the last thing i want is for them to feel like "that's it?" when sims 4 officially does end. But honestly at this point, my expectations of the next sims game is extremely low.
    tumblr_inline_orlq69j5Dg1rx5a1o_540.gif[img][/img]
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 196 Member
    Honestly I just want to see how TS5 will be and see if they really listen the fans! I have 0 expectations that will be different. In other way I just want that this new boom of simulators that revived old dead franchises because of bad decisions (like Cities Skylines for Simcity, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo for Rollercoaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon) continues and hope for a good competitor. After 20 years this game needs competition because EA will continue to ruin it and the majority will accept it. PERIOD!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,706 Member
    Sims 5 will fail because no one will buy it from the start. They'll all be waiting for the complaints to come in and be waiting for the Sales before they try it. :D

    This is probably why they are keeping with Sims 4 so long and until they start getting a lot of praise for Sims 4 packs to come they would be wise to keep us waiting .......and if they are really wise they will only allow players on the forum who actually have registered that they have installed a copy. Merging the Forums Sims4,3 and 2 was a very bad idea.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 30,915 Member
    edited June 29
    Simburian wrote: »
    Sims 5 will fail because no one will buy it from the start. They'll all be waiting for the complaints to come in and be waiting for the Sales before they try it. :D

    This is probably why they are keeping with Sims 4 so long and until they start getting a lot of praise for Sims 4 packs to come they would be wise to keep us waiting .......and if they are really wise they will only allow players on the forum who actually have registered that they have installed a copy. Merging the Forums Sims4,3 and 2 was a very bad idea.

    Why do you keep bringing up that only those who have a game installed should be able to comment? Are you seriously going to say I have to install and play this new "EP" to know if it lacks a tremendous amount of gameplay and doesn't expand the entire game? You say these things often. One would think you don't want to be anywhere there is even a hint of dissent about anything to do with TS4. You enter my thread, and you are welcome to comment, however, you entered it knowing the topic. This isn't a safe space, this is my own reasons for why TS4 should have ended when they are now going to try to pass off GP packs as EPs, which they have been doing for quite some time now.

    ETA: GP (a very focused pack, even there it fails) EP (expands entire game). Most things to do in IL is limited to the one world that makes it a GP, and not a very good one. As someone who owns it pointed out, fourteen lots (among many other problems) and eight are limited to not be changed or expanded. I gave reasons in my first post why this EP is a fail, for many, and again not an Expansion (which btw gets a bigger budget than a GP) and was left with half baked, unfinished gameplay and less thought out or well executed gameplay it does contain. I assume this makes it all that much easier to port it to Sim Mobile and console. Fourth Iteration should mean something to those with twenty years of experience.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 30,915 Member
    edited June 29
    Sucom wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    So I don't quite understand what is wrong with Island Living?

    Read all the posts on the forum that complain about it including right in this thread. You can't avoid it, lol!
    I see nothing wrong with it and if I wanted Sims 4 to be a rehash of past games I wouldn't have bought it.

    That is based on what you think about IL, other people have different ideas and opinions that differs from yours and that is okay.
    Ok but you need to realize this isn't Sims 2 or 3 and it doesn't need to measure up to either game.

    It DOES have to measure up to Sims 2 and 3 because it's part of the series. They should have made TS4 it's own game. That way it wouldn't have to live up to the previous better iterations.

    I agree. It DOES and SHOULD match up with Sims 2 and 3 because it's supposed to be a follow on from those games. Sims 4 is definitely NOT a follow on. Sms 4 changed the criteria right from the outset and right from the outset, in terms of being a follow on, it was lacking. Everyone who has played Sims 2 and 3 already knows that. It's not a belief, it's a fact. EA know it, long time players know it.

    Sims 4 is ok as a stand alone game. It's .... ok. But that's it. If I look at it from the perspective of being an extended, better version of Sims 2 or Sims 3, then no, it's not ok. It's lacking.
    Its not lacking you just expect the game to be open world no loading screens. You expect everything they put out to be Sims 3 quality and to be honest Sims 3 wasn't that good. I have more fun playing Sims 4 then I did Sims 3. I had more issues and more game breaking immersive issues with Sims 3. It was so much fun to play and when you come back from vacation in that game to have your 4 generation families family tree all messed up beyond fixing. It was so much fun to have to use mods to fix the problems that game had. That game was a big buggy mess. Also when I do go back to Sims 3 there are things in Sims 4 that make Sims 3 boring now. I am a long time simmer of the franchise I started with The Sims.

    IL broke Dine Out, has messed up vampires, has messed up hot and cold outfits Sims freeze, and many other bugs. It has it's own bugs like one lot where Sims get stuck in water, and another bug or oversight mermaid can't complete a job task, because they didn't bother to define a different task for a mermaid, who can't do the task to begin with, and the lists goes on and on with it's own bugs. Add all that to all the bugs in the previous EPs or GPs still broken and no one should be saying how buggy TS3 is or was, *routing on some worlds*, when we know how many bugs TS4 is piling up. ETA: And speaking of family trees TS4 broke my Sims family trees three years ago so that isn't much of an answer to keep playing TS4. It happens in this game for many different reasons just not at vacation.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


This discussion has been closed.
Return to top