Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

need your help on building in the sims 4

Rashel1456Rashel1456 Posts: 36 Member
help please

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    What exactly do you need?
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Rashel1456Rashel1456 Posts: 36 Member
    @DeKay tips
  • Dud3tteDud3tte Posts: 23 Member
    Tips on what? Building, CAS, challenges?
    Dud3tte people have these really cool looking houses and i don't even know where to start everyone is using speed build on youtube and i need like step by step on how to biuld like fencing and a porch i need lessons everyone makes it look easy
    edited June 2019
    Kate Emerald has some cool stuff and tips on YouTube. I suggest you watch videos cuz I learned a lot about building from watching speed build as well. You can always slow down the speed builds as well and try to follow along in your game. And practice makes perfect! The more you do it, the easier and more natural you will become at it! Good luck!

Here are my tips on how to improve.

- Watch speedbuilds preferably with a voice over so you can understand the thought process of the person and also how they achieve the thing they're doing.

- Maybe watch or two videos and find something you like about the builds, be it how they built the roofs, how they used the platforms, etc etc.

- Take screenshots of the video so that you can see how it's done (if you are not following along with the video). But also try to memorize how the thing is done.

- Go into your game and alternate between looking at the screenshots and in your game and try to replicate it using your memory. If you can't remember, then you can refer to the video again.

- Once you get the hang of it, have fun and make a few builds on your own using the fun stuff you've learned from other people's builts.

- After that, you can then do challenges once you're more confident. You can time yourself to make a build in 30 mins, for example. This will force you to make a small house. Always start with small houses as they are easier to manage.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    @DeKay thank you so much for the help
    Rashel1456 wrote: »
    DeKay thank you so much for the help

I added some more tips there in the post. 😊
    FwDXXd5.gif
    DeKay wrote: »
    Kate Emerald has some cool stuff and tips on YouTube. I suggest you watch videos cuz I learned a lot about building from watching speed build as well. You can always slow down the speed builds as well and try to follow along in your game. And practice makes perfect! The more you do it, the easier and more natural you will become at it! Good luck!

Here are my tips on how to improve.

- Watch speedbuilds preferably with a voice over so you can understand the thought process of the person and also how they achieve the thing they're doing.

- Maybe watch one or two videos and find something you like about the builds, be it how they built the roofs, how they used the platforms, etc etc.

- Take screenshots of the video so that you can see how it's done and use them as reference later on (if you are not following along with the video). But also try to memorize how the thing is done.

- Go into your game and alternate between looking at the screenshots and in your game and try to replicate it using your memory. If you can't remember, then you can refer to the video again.

- Once you get the hang of it, have fun and make a few builds on your own using the fun stuff you've learned from other people's builts.

- After that, you can then do challenges once you're more confident. You can time yourself to make a build in 30 mins, for example. This will force you to make a small house. Always start with small houses as they are easier to manage.

FwDXXd5.gif
    anyone else have easy building tips
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    I always start with the front hall and build the rooms off it, making it at least three squares wide to accommodate stairs to an upper level if required.

Always leave at least two squares between useable objects for Sims to move around one another especially in the kitchen.

Sometimes it's good to start off with a large plot, choose Maxis rooms you like or choose one by one and stick them in the garden not touching the house, then you can pick out the pieces you like for your own rooms and delete the room and bits you don't want after, (saves time looking through the catalogue). It helps with the selection of matching items!

Those Maxis rooms can be a help if you are a bit lazy as you can stick them on to a hall but you have to make sure you get the door in the right position! You can change doors to match after.

If you build a small house on a 20x15 plot, save it to your library as you can always put it on a larger one and expand later on.

If you get problems with light holes appearing in your upstairs floors or rooms not going dark (sometimes a problem with stair positions) use the building tool to go round the edges of that whole floor or even the whole hallway upstairs until the whole floor goes dark. Then that floor is OK.

I put small ceiling lights in every room when I've made an empty house to see what I'm doing when I decorate after.

Just practice. It's the roofs I have trouble with so start with simple floorplans!

• SteffariSimsSteffariSims Posts: 24 Member
    I would also recommend using reference images from real life. This will help with your design skill rather than the technical aspects of building on TS4 but you can use youtube tutorials for that like mentioned above.

Google the type of house you would like to build, look at lots of images of the same style of house (or even mix styles if you want) and try your best to copy the houses into the sims 4! Every good artist uses reference and building houses is no different :) You can also look at images of real interiors and try to mimic that.

If you practice this long enough, you will eventually build you own "Visual Library" in your head! And you will be able to build things without using reference and from imagination instead.

Good luck!