Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Island Living is the most barebones expansion pack we've received so far. My favorite thing about it is the beauty of Sulani and the items. I've mainly taken a ton of pictures during my playtime. However, it hasn't gone much deeper than that. I didn't buy the expansion to take a million pictures and then wonder "what next??!" so quickly. It is very shallow gameplay-wise. At the least they could have added a handful more of interactive items such as volleyball, Frisbee, or even hammocks! I agree with everyone that said this was a game pack originally that they decided to label as an expansion pack at last minute. However, gameplay-wise, I think I've gotten more enjoyment out of Jungle Adventure!

Well JA was an adventure for sims already in your game - where as this ep is a new or different culture - nothing to do with Sims already in your game. You apparently were just looking for another gamepack with more adventure for your already played sims instead of a whole new culture and different way of life.

I can agree if you were just looking for more adventure then this pack really wasn't made for you. This is not a new vacation - it's a whole different life style for a different kind of Sim.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Island Living is the most barebones expansion pack we've received so far. My favorite thing about it is the beauty of Sulani and the items. I've mainly taken a ton of pictures during my playtime. However, it hasn't gone much deeper than that. I didn't buy the expansion to take a million pictures and then wonder "what next??!" so quickly. It is very shallow gameplay-wise. At the least they could have added a handful more of interactive items such as volleyball, Frisbee, or even hammocks! I agree with everyone that said this was a game pack originally that they decided to label as an expansion pack at last minute. However, gameplay-wise, I think I've gotten more enjoyment out of Jungle Adventure!

Well JA was an adventure for sims already in your game - where as this ep is a new or different culture - nothing to do with Sims already in your game. You apparently were just looking for another gamepack with more adventure for your already played sims instead of a whole new culture and different way of life.

I can agree if you were just looking for more adventure then this pack really wasn't made for you. This is not a new vacation - it's a whole different life style for a different kind of Sim.

But JA costs half the price of this one and it also come with a new culture, in fact, it is even a half skill to learn about the Selvadoradian culture and food. They have a special cultural way of dancing, special foods and drinks that you can learn the recipes only once you become knowledgeable of the culture, the foods and drinks even give you special moodlets, a special way of greeting each other, outfits, etc.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019

But JA costs half the price of this one and it also come with a new culture, in fact, it is even a half skill to learn about the Selvadoradian culture and food. They have a special cultural way of dancing, special foods and drinks that you can learn the recipes only once you become knowledgeable of the culture, the foods and drinks even give you special moodlets, a special way of greeting each other, outfits, etc.

But the fact remains it was an adventure made for your present sims - not just about the new culture. Now if it was not a vacation spot that would have made it like this one perhaps. This one is all about a different way of living for a different culture. You cannot live in JA - you can only visit - your sims cannot be one of the culture of JA - it is atourist town - but your sims will never be one of them. In Lulani you play one of the people who live there and whose ancestor live there with the same values and way of life they have lived there for generation. It is a different lifestyle or was designed to be only it sounds like many simmers are just trying to play their other sims as they always have and wanting it without the history and way of life.

The main focus of JA is your pld sims doing something else but still being who they were. IL is about new sims and ways of life not being anything like your modern - present sims so naturally it does not offer much for sims looking for adventure. It;s about this way of life. Maybe too quiet and different for modern day sims in your game.

I did not bring any of my sims to the islands - I picked a user made native sim to live life as the game designed and not as my sims live in all the other worlds. It's a NEW way of life for my sim - period.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited June 2019
    So I’m going to be honest. I do really like this expansion, but I can’t argue that there isn’t much gameplay or depth especially when comparing it to other expansions for sims 4. Now I have yet to try everything and have intentionally ignored the new careers because I’m playing rags to riches style which overall has been a blast. I do find myself wondering what else I can do after just two real days of playing which has never happened. I thought initially the criticism was unfair but I don’t fully disagree with it.

Now I have plans for all of my families to spend time in Sulani. I can say I have never done that before with any new world really. I have some sims I want to buy a retail lot and spend time there occasionally, I have some I want to camp on the volcano island, I have some I want to have a luxurious getaway it depends on the save. As far as new ideas of how and where I want to use this pack I have many, but the issue is I’m having to use other packs to add activities for these type saves. For example a spa or a restaurant. It just seems like there isn’t much to do that’s already there besides swim as far as things to do.

Now I am one who understands why this happened as I’m sure the ocean and the swimmable part of it took a large chunk of the budget they were given. Not to mention the clothing specific tan lines had to also be complicated considering how much clothing is is the game. I also like that they are working on other worlds and we have the ability to wade in some spots now. So I believe it’s possible we will have swimmable oceans one day.

Do I wish I hadn’t paid full price? Sort of but I’m also someone who would buy anything over 20 dollars and think I spend too much money lol. I wouldn’t say it’s not worth the expansions price tag the CAS and BB are incredible. The world is my new favorite and I want all my sims to spend time there. I’ve been inspired to build my own community lots which I’ve never attempted before. This game sparks so much creativity for me and I love that. I would say that makes it worth it. The gameplay isn’t the best but I love what we got even if I wish there was more. A lot of this stuff besides the careers I see myself using often. I just feel like the big gameplay component isn’t there and that bothers me a little. I don’t fully regret my purchase I just wish there was a bit more.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @Akl500P - very well said. I feel very similar to you. When I first saw this thread I had just spent all weekend playing, was thinking, “oh no, here we go with all the complaining again”, got into the shower and really thought about it. And it finally hit me that what people say about this series is true.

I do like the EP, I just want to love it more, I wish it had more to offer.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    RexZheng wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    I agree.
    Compare this pack to Jungle Adventures and it comes off like a game pack, but not as deep.

Disagree. I had much more fun with Jungle Adventure than Island Living, at least my Sims don’t disappear into a rabbit hole everywhere. And it came with two new skills while Island Living has none. Plus they did the culture there better. :/

You got my point backwards.
    I am saying Jungle Adventures is better.

I agree which is just crazy to me since its $20 cheaper. Do they just think their consumer base won't notice? Its just odd to me that with all this criticism (most of it, not all, but most....is valid) that they wouldn't be doing everything in their power to make every pack amazing, especially given that this iteration has the longest wait between packs of any other.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited June 2019
    Akl500P wrote: »
    So I’m going to be honest. I do really like this expansion, but I can’t argue that there isn’t much gameplay or depth especially when comparing it to other expansions for sims 4.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I am explaining to @Writin_Reg the feel of the pack is great, but the lack of gameplay isn't up for debate here, its just a fact (which is basically what you are saying too). What isn't there isn't there and this has so little gameplay that its baffling. I made a list on another post and its concerning how little it has. I do agree though that the world and objects/clothes/hair are absolutely amazing, which just makes this even more of a pity.

• KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2019
    I agree OP. I bought IL and I feel almost "duped" by the devs. There's nothing to do!!

Hammocks
    Volleyball
    Surfing
    A fully fleshed out mermaid occult
    Bunk beds
    Hotels or rentals
    More exploration and island lore

All things missing in my opinion.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2019
    Schantal wrote: »
    Akl500P wrote: »
    So I’m going to be honest. I do really like this expansion, but I can’t argue that there isn’t much gameplay or depth especially when comparing it to other expansions for sims 4.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I am explaining to @Writin_Reg the feel of the pack is great, but the lack of gameplay isn't up for debate here, its just a fact (which is basically what you are saying too). What isn't there isn't there and this has so little gameplay that its baffling. I made a list on another post and its concerning how little it has. I do agree though that the world and objects/clothes/hair are absolutely amazing, which just makes this even more of a pity.

I like it too, mainly for the environment, clothes, and objects.

I just had my sim have a conversation with Nalani and it seemed a little harder to increase his relationship with her.
    I am wondering if it is because she's a mermaid. I love the fact that she denies being a mermaid and it makes me hope there is some payoff in getting to know this mysterious sim. So maybe this pack is just slow to open itself up?

I am having my sim try the activities, but they feel shallow. Like they are just a bunch of features to have on the list, but they aren't interrelated and build off each other for the culmination of a grand experience to be earned later. It's like a stuff pack, but with activities instead of stuff.
    Activity pack with a tropical theme?

People going around saying this pack just isn't for you are annoying and it's mainly a shut up tactic. :)
    Any pack that adds anything useful and improves the overall game is for me. It may be a small contribution, but the game itself is improved overall. It's just disappointing when your $40 gets you just a handful of useful features and immersion factors for you when the theme itself has so much more potential and we probably won't get anything else related to this theme.

I have my "vacation home", but I also have tags on every object that lets me put them up for sale because it's actually a retail lot.
    And I have to phone-in daily for vacation time because my sim is not really on a scheduled vacation. And just now I clicked on the go-home icon, forgetting that It's going to take me back to San Myshuno instead of his vacation home in Sulani. :s Oops.

I am hoping that we do get features that will allow me to play Sulani like I want without feeling ad-hoc.
    This is supposed to be an Expansion Pack, not a Game Pack.

At the rate I am going, most of the population of Sulani are going to be homeless as I use up the available lots for a spa, restaurant, a starter vacation home and a grand vacation home, and probably a full Sulani experience park with the the Island Spirits and Volcanic lot traits, generic cabins, and whatever else I can toss in there. This lot will be for my sims in all the other worlds who want to teleport over to Sulani for a weekend.

[Update]
    Alright, done!

Mua Pel'am just got a tourist lot.
    Somebody has to be generating the trash that is appearing in this part of the world.
    06-27-19_12-00-22nbspPM.png

Sorry Fetu, but it's snowing in Windenburg right now and my sims want some sun and surf.
    06-27-19_12-10-38nbspPM.png
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Has anyone tried going on vacation in one of the vacation worlds and just visiting Sulani for all the activities, possibly returning to the rental to sleep, if necessary? I am planning to try this (might as well make the most of things) and pretending that Selvadorada is just a mountain district nearby. It’s not like we wouldn’t get loading screens going to the public beach anyway. This way it would qualify as a legit vacation for ease of taking days off, moodlets and such.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

I don't understand the "nothing to do with Sims already in your game" part. Every single pack expands on the world of the beloved Sims I've played already. When I get a new pack I look at the personalities of the Sims I already have and choose which ones fit the newest content best. I did the same with this one but the pack simply is very shallow. I agree Jungle Adventure was a completely different pack but it still has more overall gameplay to me than this Island pack. I was most definitely not looking for another game pack as that would have been 20 bucks and it is usually a given that game packs have less content because of that lower price. I just feel the developers have so many missed opportunities in this pack.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    I gave up on GTW for a long time after believing adverse comments too much that it didn't have much play in it until I learned better later. I now tend to ignore them.

At the moment I love playing with a sunny world which cheers me up and by the time I'm bored I am sure Maxis will sort their problems out - or we get Realm of Magic to start all over again. :)B)

I only played JA once and decided it wasn't for me but the pack items were nice so I didn't regret buying it.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited June 2019
    As I've said before, the design in the pack is great, and everything else is either bleh or meh.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I gave up on GTW for a long time after believing adverse comments too much that it didn't have much play in it until I learned better later. I now tend to ignore them.

At the moment I love playing with a sunny world which cheers me up and by the time I'm bored I am sure Maxis will sort their problems out - or we get Realm of Magic to start all over again. :)B)

I only played JA once and decided it wasn't for me but the pack items were nice so I didn't regret buying it.

Honestly, I kind of doubt Maxis will get everything figured out, quality started going downhill with 3, even Sims 3 expansions weren't where a lot of people wanted them to be at the time, and a lot of the packs even I feel were lackluster compared to 2 or even to other EPs Sims 3 had. If it hasn't gotten better since the sim 3 days I doubt it's going to get any better under EA.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2019
    I got this image from a Discord server I'm in. I have no idea who said this and where, but I kind of agree with it.

gyfGPT0.png

Wow, I hadn't even realised this. Honestly what an eye-opener. The fact that this EP was initially a GP is now starting to sink in. What a sham. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have paid full price for this "EP", especially since I've already found myself bored of doing the same things over and over.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited June 2019
    I got this image from a Discord server I'm in. I have no idea who said this and where, but I kind of agree with it.

gyfGPT0.png

This is the first time I see it mentioned (that I can recall), the fact that only 1 of the 3 islands actually has any conservationist gameplay. I was very confused by that when I got the game. Wondering where all the litter was because I started playing in one of the other islands. I was 100% sure it would be a world thingand not a neighborhood thing.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Raevyn wrote: »
    I cringe so much when people tell me I should be "grateful" of EAs packs. Like am I not paying for them? I mean sure if they were for free, then I'd understand. But mate, if I'm dropping $50 on a pack and I don't think I'm getting good value for money then #&*# straight I'll have a complain. Don't tell me to be grateful for content I'm paying for. That's ridiculous.

That's like me telling you, you should be grateful for your house cleaner, which you pay $100/hr to clean your house. There's certain expectations when you pay for tangible things/services, and if they aren't met, there's a big problem.

You must remember EA isn't doing us a favor, they're selling us a tangible product. And when you compare these $50 packs to games which are around the same price point, you get MUCH better value by pretty much every developer other than EA.

Thank you very much for saying this!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2019
    TS4_EP07_SECONDARY_ART_01_008_4k.png

Honestly I wish sims could swim underwater and that we could play sims like that diver in this render. Scuba diving as a rabbit whole is such a let down for me.... and snorkelling doesn't do anything? My sims just get fitness from it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,860 Member
    So who's buying the next expansion pack? 😁
  • SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    As much as everyone is complaining, they haven't dropped in sales. They have no financial evidence that there is anything wrong with their product.

Exactly. If they're anything like the corp I work for, literally ALL they care about are their precious numbers. If the numbers look good, they will think their product is good, even if everyone and their mother is complaining about it.
    The world is quiet here