Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else here never played the Sims 3?

Anyone else here never played the Sims 3 or any pervious iterations of the Sims?
I'm asking out of pure curiosity, because it seems like a lot of people like to compare this game to Sims 3, and I feel kinda out of the loop because I've never played it, at least not on PC.
I've always wanted the Sims 3, but had no money to get it. One Christmas, I had asked for the Sims 3 for Wii, and I got it. But I quickly realized the Sims 3 for Wii was absolutely nothing like the PC version. It was extremely limited and very laggy. It did't even feel like I was playing the Sims 3, but rather a cheap spin off.
So then the next year, I'm prepared to ask for the PC Sims 3 before Christmas. But then the Sims 4 came out, and I was blown away by the way the Sims looked, and the CAS. People went on and on about how it was missing features, but that CAS just amazed me so much that I just kind of ignored the complaints.
Sometimes when I play the Sims 4 I think of what it would be like if I had gotten the Sims 3 instead. But I can't really look at the Sims 3 the same way anymore. I used to really want it, but now I just think the Sims from the game are ugly looking, and that the graphics are outdated.
There are some features from that game I would love to have in the Sims 4 though; like the color wheel, and the ability to swim in any body of water; not just pools. Open world is out to the question, but I think open neighborhoods should be an option for those who don't have terrible computers.
Let there be Fairies! o:)

Comments

• Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    The sims 3 is on sale during the Steam summer sales thing, I think you can get everything for like $100.

tbqh I don't find the sims in 3 any uglier or prettier than the sims in 4

tumblr_ptoa4zjmLl1uqphsho1_1280.jpg
    I find her just as pretty as her
    tumblr_pqovklDyd81xi5hclo2_1280.png

The sims 3 was an ambitious feat, maybe too ambitious for the regular sim player, it seems like a lot of simmers run toaster rigs rather than beefy gaming rigs. Unless you have a decent computer, I've never had a problem running sims 3 even when I had a less beefy computer, but that isn't the case for everyone.
  • Options
    NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    The sims 3 is on sale during the Steam summer sales thing, I think you can get everything for like $100.

The sims 3 was an ambitious feat, maybe too ambitious for the regular sim player, it seems like a lot of simmers run toaster rigs rather than beefy gaming rigs. Unless you have a decent computer, I've never had a problem running sims 3 even when I had a less beefy computer, but that isn't the case for everyone.

Oh woah! I just checked out that sale and it's very tempting!

Do you know exactly when the sale ends? I'd like to get it after my first paycheck at my new job.
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Having played a ton of Sims 1 and 2 I skipped Sims 3 entirely. Played Sims 3 base game for one day when it was released and was so bored I quit the game and waited for Sims 4. I also hated how ugly the Sims are in 3, with the soft, pudding, plastic faces and alpha-looking hair so that was a dealbreaker for me. I'm sure Sims 3 got better with expansions and all, but I sat out that entire iteration.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I borrowed a friend's game to see if I liked it, before the Sims 4 came out. It had good content Ultimately I didn't enjoy the way the sims actually were. Between the two There're definitely are things missing in the Sims 4, however I can achieve in the Sims 4, that at least I couldn't achieve in the Sims 3.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    NiaraTiara wrote: »

Oh woah! I just checked out that sale and it's very tempting!

Do you know exactly when the sale ends? I'd like to get it after my first paycheck at my new job.

According to google, it'll end July 9th.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Sort of... I got the chance to try TS3 a couple of times on playstation if that counts. Then much later, when I was already playing TS4, I got a gift code for TS3 but didn't like it much. Later I bought the game with some better DLC on a steam sale, but ended up returning it. So to this day I have played a little TS3 but never got into it. To your question I did play TS1 and TS2 though.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    My playing of Sims 3 is fairly minimal. I bought the initial game as a used copy, and played it a little before going back to The Sims 2. I subsequently bought most of the expansions (always used copies) to try them out, but still preferred The Sims 2 . I do like the living neighborhood of TS3, but since getting TS4 I've only played TS2 a few times, and TS3 not at all.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    I played it a little. It was my least favorite version of the sims franchise. I could of happily gone through my life never playing it. :D
  • Options
    CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    edited June 2019

I have a pretty nice computer (I have over 7k items of CC and mods on The Sims 4 and it still runs smoothly with Very High settings), but the Sims 3 was still super glitchy and had frequent lag spikes with pretty regular settings. I can also run games like GTA V (an open world game) on high settings. The Sims 3 is just a buggy game, it is what it is.

However, I still very much enjoyed it.

Also to say that a lot of simmers run "toaster rigs" is very presumptuous ;)
  • Options
    CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    Sims 3 was great and all, but the main reason why I will always put the Sims 4 above Sims 3 is because of the Sims 4's gallery function.

I'm not an avid builder (I like to jump straight into gameplay) and I'd rather not spend hours upon hours working on a build, so I really enjoyed how I can just simply grab amazing builds and sims off of the gallery and start playing.
  • Options
    puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    I skipped it completely. While I think its scenery is very pretty (love clicking through that thread where simmers post screenshots of the different worlds), I just outright hated how the sims themselves were looking. Call me shallow if you want, but aesthetics are quite important to me. haha Plus, I'm always having a hard time moving on to new things, so I preferred playing Sims 2 instead.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I've never played any PC sims game aside from 4. I want to play 2, just haven't gotten around to finding. 3 doesn't interest me.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    There’s nothing wrong with having never played the sims 3 or any previous sims title. It’s a shame In a sense as the person doesn’t know what they are missing but I suppose you can’t miss what you never had.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I've never played any game before TS4. I've seen footage on Youtube tho.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I played 1 and 2 but skipped 3 in its entirety. It had some neat features, but I just couldn't with those sims!
  • Options
    CrownSims wrote: »

I have a pretty nice computer (I have over 7k items of CC and mods on The Sims 4 and it still runs smoothly with Very High settings), but the Sims 3 was still super glitchy and had frequent lag spikes with pretty regular settings. I can also run games like GTA V (an open world game) on high settings. The Sims 3 is just a buggy game, it is what it is.

I count Laptops as toasters. I would never recommend playing heavy games like Cities Skylines on a laptop. any laptop. In my professional opinion, I have not met a Laptop yet that is better than a desktop with the same specs when it comes to playing games. Definitely never recommend Sims 3 for a laptop I don't even think Sims 4 is all that great on a laptop, but my Laptop has only slightly worse specs than my Desktop so I can't truly compare.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I had just purchased the last expansion for Sims 2 when 3 came out, so I kept playing 2. It sounded like the story progression would interfere with rotating households, which is how I played Sims 2 so I wasn't eager to switch. Eventually I bought a used ps3 copy to try it out but didn't like the console controls for Sims. So I just kept playing 2 until that computer died, which was conveniently a few months after Sims 4 came out.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    CrownSims wrote: »

I count Laptops as toasters. I would never recommend playing heavy games like Cities Skylines on a laptop. any laptop. In my professional opinion, I have not met a Laptop yet that is better than a desktop with the same specs when it comes to playing games. Definitely never recommend Sims 3 for a laptop I don't even think Sims 4 is all that great on a laptop, but my Laptop has only slightly worse specs than my Desktop so I can't truly compare.

I'm actually really happy playing The Sims 4 on my Apple Macbook Pro laptop. But I only play on laptop so I can't compare it with desktop.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2019
    Title of this thread doesn't really apply to me since I've been playing sims since the original and S3 is my favorite out of all of em'. But if you are curious, you can always check out Let's Plays on YouTube. This won't be the only Steam sale that includes S3 either so don't feel rushed.

Graphics and Art Style aren't the same thing if you ask me. S3 does not have the same art style as S4 so, in my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to compare the two if you're talking about graphics. :/ *shrugs*
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    @Techbilt wrote: »

When is this Summer sale? I'm still missing some Sims 3 SP's ahaha

Also what store content is that ponytail from??
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I played Sims 3 forever, It can be really fun and I even thought about playing it again the other day until they fix some of the bugs in Sims4. The Problem with Sims3 is You have to know how to use mods and do the research on setting up Your game before playing or it is way to buggy to play. I have all the mods that fix the bugs plus some in order to stop the stuck sims problems. If You play the island world You have to know what boats to remove and what sims to delete as well as how to move certain land marks or else sooner or later a Generic Sim out there in the world will get stuck waving there arms and cant go anywhere and then Your whole game freezes, this is where You need the mod over rides.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @Techbilt wrote: »

When is this Summer sale? I'm still missing some Sims 3 SP's ahaha

Also what store content is that ponytail from??

It came with the Aurora Skies, the summer sale is now until July 9th. But they have sales often for the sims 3.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I hardly played it. Maybe for a couple of hours back in the day.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I started with TS1 when it first came out and TS2 afterward. When the TS3 came out I was heavily involved with admin duties for my TS2 forum/website. We held contests and giveaways for it and I was in awe of the world and how advanced it seemed to be. The computer I had at the time didn't have good enough specs to play it though and we couldn't afford to upgrade. I loved TS2 anyway so I just ended up skipping TS3. However, I enjoyed looking at the beautiful landscape screenshots some of my members posted in a thread we had for it. :)
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I haven’t; I started with The Sims 4. I’ve considered playing the previous games as well though.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€