Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living Appreciation

Comments

• Options
    Bellesim67Bellesim67 Posts: 38 Member
    Being A simmer since 2000, I enjoy the game a lot I played The Sims one, two and now 4. The Sims 3 well my computer wasn't the best and I had a full-time job plus I was still enjoying Sims2. I wasn't even a gamer in 2000 I saw The Sims in a magazine and it piqued my interest and I've been hooked ever since.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Little gameplay was added @Beardedgeek

I agree with a lot of the others, this depends on your playstyle. I play families mostly and I develop hobbies, likes, dislikes and interests with my sims through the use of traits, skills and clubs. I enjoy being able to do simple things, like take a family out to the beach. When you play the game that way, there is more gameplay added:

9vPM7d5.png

*All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    The only real point of criticism for me is the disappointing cave discovering experience. It's just not satisfying to have that be a rabbit hole. Doesn't add anything, except that you can apparently find collectibles. But it's so frustrating to read about how they discovered a lagoon or whatever and not be able to see it and explore there :( But for the rest I really like it. Yes, you can't take much of the pack into other worlds, but it's more like a liveable vacation pack anyway. However, if I'm really honest, I also don't really understand what the considerations are for classifying something as game pack or expansion pack. Maybe it's more of a game pack than an expansion pack, that could very well be true, but I do think it's worth the money.
  • Options
    islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    edited June 2019
    I love it. I just got the Island to the third tier for all of the effects, and I love that my sim can impact the environment in that way. It's kind of similar to Strangeville's storyline, except it doesn't really guide you through it (which I thought was fun, as I had to explore a lot more). I'm still trying to figure out the events on the mainland, so far I've had a cultural bonfire/bbq, a fishing event (with a vendor to make seafood dishes out of your fresh catch) and the turtle hatching event. I've heard there are more, so I moved my sims to the mainland (Ohan'Ali Town) to try to catch them, b/c they don't give a notice that they're happening (except the turtle event). I just noticed that they give a buff from participating that boosts happiness for 1-2 hours ("Part of the Community).

QzsCGWV.png
    BzVVazt.png

xXmLE6y.png

I'm still digging into the content. I love my sim's modified jetski (blaring summer strut with light effects and handlebar streamers) and her dolphin bff helps manage the social need a lot easier. I'm still getting used to the increased "community" mechanics, with people randomly coming by with food and whatnot, which seems a lot more frequent and diverse than in other worlds (with exception to city living).

bArZyC2.png
    PhD20zl.png

I still want to try an off the grid scenario, and set up a caldera base camp for that purpose.. I just haven't gotten to that yet. :D

vocmZqq.png

UuCpkh1.png
    2nFn1jU.png

I literally don't want to visit any other worlds right now.
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP

• Options
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    @Beardedgeek - Good to know I'm not in a minority ~ it seemed like everybody was bitterly complaining about every pack coming out, which seems a shame since I do know a lot of people who do enjoy and appreciate what we have got. It's lovely to know.

Honestly, people have complained about literally every pack. And they'll complain about all of the future packs, too. They won't adjust their expectations or accept that it's okay to leave the game and come back (and it's probably for the better that it's not the sort of thing that people spend hours upon hours every day playing). The game is still a sandbox, so expecting it to create stories for us can only go so far.

I'm content with it because I don't set my expectations based on prior versions of the franchise, because 4-5 years later, we know that the packs will be different and that they won't include everything that was in TS2 or TS3. Expecting otherwise is just going to lead to disappointment. In some ways, TS4 has improved on TS3 (I can't even get TS3 to run, so there's that) and in others, it lacks some of the features and details. When new packs come out, I just let myself be excited as opposed to looking for everything wrong with it (like Seasons EP and snow depth). Then I play it for a week or so, release a bunch of builds, and then I play when the mood strikes me (which is pretty sporadic).

I get the impression people are expecting too much for what the franchise has proven capable of, and they want a game with more depth than what is basically a sandbox version of playing with dolls. It is as interesting as you make it.

• Options
    Zussage wrote: »
    Snip

I agree -- I think some of it has to do with the proliferation of theme park games, where players are basically taken on a ride with little room or freedom for sandboxing, and that's "content". So it makes sense that with a game that basically just gives you tools to make your own content/tell your own "stories," that the players that have adapted to themepark-style play are upset because the content isn't sticky enough or doesn't provide the depth that they're instead responsible for creating.

TS3 had a lot more stuff, but the functionality was limited (i.e, little-to-no multitasking, terrible stability, etc.) and I was frustrated when TS4 first came out.. until I made my own content/gameplay. Then I went back to TS3 (when I could still run it) and I actually began to appreciate what TS4 was offering.

Regardless, I think it's funny that as soon as an appreciation thread starts, people come in just to tell us why they hate it. :D

• Options
    MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
    edited June 2019
    Happy players spend less time on the forums. I have to say that I tend to read through the complain comments and then don't add postive arguments to the discussion on a negative tread because that would only anger the antis. Those players don't want to hear that other people enjoy content, they want to vent and meet others of the same opinion to vent in company.

Sims 4 is great for me (even though I want more building options) because I am not a 'theme park' player. I don't like content with ultimate end-game and level restrictions and fixed adventures on a string. I love to invent my own stories, switching between solitay Sims spending all their life in their garden, then play some ultra social character and switch back or to something new and cheer whenever I meet the currently not played on an outing. I don't need the game to tell me that Introvert Sim is uncomfortable. Nice if it does, but I don't need it and I don't expect it.

I use this as an example because I have both type of chars on Sulani and was amused when I visited a beach with my extrovert and saw the other one. He was having fun (which is out of character for him) but that only meant for me as the player that my active character, who knew the other, knew (as in: story in my own head) that this was hinky and I played it that he talked to the friend because (again, in my own imagination) he feared that someone had slipped introvert a roofie or too much kava root beer or something.
    I love that we don't get a translation for simlish, it can mean whatever we want. Sims gives me a lot of tools to create the stage for my stories, throws in random outside impulses I can ignore or use and that's what I need and want.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2019
    I've been enjoying the pack. Other than a couple of things I thought were missing as well as some objects I felt were MIA (island counter and a hammock and more beach activities. A lot of things to warrant the EP price) I've been enjoying the expansion. I remember people asking constantly for sims to be able to swim in the ocean and even for mermaids among the list of things they wanted to see. I'm also happy that it seems we'll be getting a bigger update for certain places in other worlds to finally be swimmable which will come into a patch since sims can wade in certain spots of water now.).

At the moment sims can pretty much build sandcastles in other worlds where there's sand apparently as well as make your own little sand play box (very good for children in the backyard).

Sulani is very beautiful and I really like that my sims can just go visit the beach and not have to be confined to that world as in living in it. Had a sim take a vacation off for two days and took her to Sulani for the beach and I enjoyed it. Also a good place for families as well.

QUTXCzq.png
    There's always sims hanging around at the beach lot if not more eventually end up showing. Lounging, socializing, bbqing, building sand castles, snorkeling, hanging out around the bonfire, diving, on a sail boat or aqua zip as well as splashing one another in the water. Just very lively. Usually when it rains they'll pretty much scatter and start to leave as do most beach goers.

sGDtTa1.png
    Cutest thing in seeing toddlers playing in the most shallow parts of the water and sand.
    fwBh4pF.png
    McyOyZL.png
    bwGgJsl.png
    Conservationist career has a lot more depth and gameplay than one would think, especially going the environmentalist branch. You can pass policies and it actually can affect the sims and world around you? Yes, PLEASE. This is the kinda thing I really like and hope more like this gets applied in more packs or at least careers to be more impactful with rewards that pay off so well.

riFeRWN.png
    Ah, yes any new death is always great to me. :*
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited June 2019
    I admit I've been a tiny bit of a Negative Nancy on the forum lately. But not because of this pack. I don't have it yet but I do look forward to playing it when I can get it.

I enjoy family game play and this pack looks to enhance that. The only thing I've been bugged about are the bugs that came in the patch. And even despite this I'm trying to work around them because I love this game. I love this game just the way it is and I have been a Sim player since 2000. I think having a thread on the positives is a great idea. It gives us that don't have the pack yet positive things to see about the pack.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    @LadyKyn wow! I’ve honestly not seen or heard anything about those policies yet, that’s really cool! My conservationist is still pretty low level and I was planning on going the marine biologist route, but now I’ll have to reconsider. Or maybe create another sim on the island who will become an environmentalist.

@AphoticLee I don’t think being vocal about bugs is being a “negative Nancy”. It’s the only way they’ll know that there is an issue to be fixed! I’ve been pretty lucky that I haven’t experienced anything game breaking, but we all definitely need to report bugs. I remember seeing a tweet from nick a few months ago when someone told him they were still experiencing the pets spamming interactions. He seemed to have no idea the problem was still occurring and I thought wow, I should have reported because it was still an issue for me months after it was supposedly fixed. We gotta keep those gurus on their toes 😜
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2019
    @LaurenLoser16 You should. Marine Biologist is a bit more hands on and concerning the fitness skill though with the other branch you'll have more of a use for charisma and passing policies and mostly doing things from your phone and waiting for policies to be passed. I assume most haven't touched on the job yet because they were busy with the other stuff in their game or it didn't interest them, but it's pretty indepth. :smile:

@AphoticLee One can always share their displeasure or frustrations, especially if it's with a game you do enjoy regularly. Giving feedback is the only way to get things addressed. (And to not repeat past mistakes) I :heart: this game too and I have my gripes and disappointment in certain aspects of it and what I want improved or want to see. I think being a negative Nancy is more for people who literally have the worse to say about every single thing about this game and not seeing any mild positives or highlights about it and mentioning what needs to be improved.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, I've been on both sides of the fence. When TS4 was in bad shape, I criticized it from time to time, and even participated in the Get Together boycott, but for the most part, I spent time in the Off Topic section. I also mostly stuck with TS3 and TS2, and I didn't buy any of the other TS4 DLC.

Even today, I also express disappointment or dissatisfaction with some things that I think could use improvement. I love Island Living, but I do recognize some oversights and shortcomings, like mermaids not being able to snorkel for the conservationist career, or toddlers and vampires being glitchy. Being critical of the game and pointing out shortcomings and flaws aren't bad per se.

What I don't get are the people who spend a lot of their time and energy just hating TS4. I understand wanting something better and that the older Sims games don't get new content anymore, but it's clear that TS4 just isn't the game for certain people. When I hated TS4, I just stuck with the older games and waited for it to either improve or for something better to come along. There wasn't any point in wasting too much energy on something I hate. IIRC I pretty much just ignored the threads that expressed satisfaction with the game and let people be.

And you know, I hated MFPS too. I boycotted it and expressed my dissatisfaction. I didn't like people buying it at first, but soon I came around and just let people enjoy it, because it's their money and the pack made them happy. And who am I to tell them not to be? It's enough that I didn't give my $10 to EA.

TL;DR Constructive criticism is healthy, but there are better things to do than spending too much mental energy on something you hate and begrudging others who like that thing
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    @LadyKyn I didn't know about the policy effects! I love all of these small details that have a broader impact. I'm going to have to play another conservationist, as mine took the Marine Biologist Branch.

• Options
    I thought the policies were a lovely touch, too! Haven't done much with them yet (my IL save has my conservationist sim get one policy to 40% so far!) but it's lovely to have a small feature that affects a wider audience. Nice job done there <3
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I love it to bits, too. Just hoping the bugs will be fixed asap. This is just hilarious. Diving is difficult, should the feet or the head go down first?
    9lgaKCQ.jpg
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    What I don't get are the people who spend a lot of their time and energy just hating TS4. I understand wanting something better and that the older Sims games don't get new content anymore, but it's clear that TS4 just isn't the game for certain people. When I hated TS4, I just stuck with the older games and waited for it to either improve or for something better to come along. There wasn't any point in wasting too much energy on something I hate. IIRC I pretty much just ignored the threads that expressed satisfaction with the game and let people be.

And you know, I hated MFPS too. I boycotted it and expressed my dissatisfaction. I didn't like people buying it at first, but soon I came around and just let people enjoy it, because it's their money and the pack made them happy. And who am I to tell them not to be? It's enough that I didn't give my $10 to EA.

TL;DR Constructive criticism is healthy, but there are better things to do than spending too much mental energy on something you hate and begrudging others who like that thing

Part of me wonders if it’s because people did the opposite of what we did as to why they are so bitter? Because same- I didn’t join in until.... shortly after Parenthood I believe. Prior to that I HATED the sims four for what it lacked and it’s flaws and just flat out didn’t buy it. I finally decided to give it a try when they added pools, toddlers, and did the gender/clothing patches. At which point I bought the base game at a discount, and played around with it and got an full idea of what Sims 4 looked like, and then decided it was worth it. And even then since I was catching up I would wait for sales or buy in bundles at discounted prices, so I didn’t invest in full price until the game became worth it for me.

A lot of these people complaining seemed to have hated the game/had severe misgivings of the game from day one but still invested full price and were with it from early on. A lot of people think that doing this will give them a larger voice on what the game should be and... tbh all it does it create resentment.

Regardless, I have been ecstatic with this expansion, because MERMAIDS and SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN. And although I recognize it it doesn’t have as much as island paradise, ehhhhhhh..... it actually has arguably more than Bon Voyage from the sims 2. (By arguably, I’m considering day to day stuff and I would take one in depth livable world over 3 shallower ones.) Which with prior expansions I’ve kinda considered many of them a step down from the sims 2 on a lot of fronts. And like. None of these sims 4 games will have as much as sims 3 because of system capabilities.

One thing I was impressed with is how smoothly my game runs in Sulani- my computer sometimes has trouble with other worlds and I was nervous about how much the ocean would affect my game, but it’s been absolutely a dream to run. On a technical note I am ridiculously pleased with that (especially as, as much as I loved Island Paradise, oh god I could barely run that world).
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    The people that spend all their time ranting and raving about how much they hate sims 4 ( not just those that have criticisms) are wasting time being bitter. I genuinely wonder why they play the game for hours when they seemingly get no enjoyment out of it.
  • Options

Part of me wonders if it’s because people did the opposite of what we did as to why they are so bitter? Because same- I didn’t join in until.... shortly after Parenthood I believe. Prior to that I HATED the sims four for what it lacked and it’s flaws and just flat out didn’t buy it. I finally decided to give it a try when they added pools, toddlers, and did the gender/clothing patches. At which point I bought the base game at a discount, and played around with it and got an full idea of what Sims 4 looked like, and then decided it was worth it. And even then since I was catching up I would wait for sales or buy in bundles at discounted prices, so I didn’t invest in full price until the game became worth it for me.

A lot of these people complaining seemed to have hated the game/had severe misgivings of the game from day one but still invested full price and were with it from early on. A lot of people think that doing this will give them a larger voice on what the game should be and... tbh all it does it create resentment.

I think you guys could be right. I bought the base game when it came out and I enjoyed it for what it is, not what it was 'missing'. I got the first 2 EPs but due to a 2 year hiatus from the community, I bought the rest on sale in November last year. So for me, I'm still exploring a dozen packs and I'm always finding something new. But then I play incredibly slowly in my main games and haven't done half the things from each pack yet. I've only just put a dog in a household! :D

@Simsister2004 - Wonderful picture. Perhaps she's never dived before? :D

• Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    Honestly, I am loving this pack so far. I love the conservationist career. My sim finishes her tasks for the day and still spends all the rest of the day continuing to take care of the Island. I also love having her spend hours upon hours swimming around and playing with the dolphins. I finally got a mermaid in the family and I am loving that too. Yes, there are always things that could be improved on, and there are things (house boats and resorts} that I miss from sims 3. But not enough to make me enjoy this pack any less. I don't want my sim to live anywhere else but on this Island now.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    So I have a few questions if people are willing to answer:

conservation career - the world changing as you clean up the island.
    This seems really neat that you can change the world around you as you go through the career, more careers should do this. I didn't realize how hands on it really is. This is really hands on a good way. If I have an existing legacy in Newcrest would I be able to get this job for my sim in Newcrest and visit Sulani to do the after work tasks or would it be too much of a headache?

Dolphins
    Do they do anything other than sometimes get you collectibles and look cute? I know you can pet them, but can you like adopt one and put one in your pool at home if you're friendly enough with it? What are you supposed to do with them? Do they give you a rare dolphin only collectible?

the community on the island
    Things like festivals? Are they a lot like the festivals in City Living?

new water activities
    What kind of new water activities?
    is it just lounging on pool floaties, boats/water jets, snorkeling, and diving? Are there new ways to swim?

Mermaids Powers:
    • Call a dolphin only if your friends with it
    • summon ocean threat - can I use this only if my sim is evil or can I make a materialistic, perfectionist, snob and summon the ocean threat/Sirens call?
    • Sirens call - seems to be the same thing as summon ocean threat, but in deeper waters, why didn't they just merge these two together and call it sirens call but use two different animations based on the depth of the water?
    • fishing lure- boosts fishing skill.
    • mermaid kiss - extra boost to romance? I'm all for more romantic interaction in this game but is this just a regular kiss in the water but with mermaids??? Not entirely sure how this is a special power right now.
    • weather control - so I can't use this power unless I have seasons right?
    • Swims faster than a lvl 10 fitness sim.

and these are available to ALL mermaids right? And I can't pick and choose powers/weaknesses like I can with vampires?

these I don't have questions on but these are other things people appreciated in this thread (with out repeating):
    beaches/lots with water
    aesthetics (world build/buy, ocean sounds)
    suntans and sunburns

I'm just trying to make a pros and cons list and was looking for things reviewers/LP's missed, and I kind of want it but I don't because the world and BB is gorgeous, but I can't justify spending $40 for a world, couldn't do it for the sims 3 store worlds refuse to do it for 4.

• Options
    @Techbilt - 1. Yes, you can still live in Newcrest but work in Sulani. No reason why not.
    2. The dolphins don't do anything particularly. They're part of the marine life in the water. Your sims can pet them, talk to them (builds the social need) and splash but there isn't anything else to do with them. Nope, you can't adopt them.
    3. There are festivals but they're a bit more low-key than the City Living ones. You don't get a notification, they just happen. Some are a competition, others are like a community barbeque. You'll know when one's happening though because when you're in the main 'town', you'll see balloons and banners all over the place.
    4. The swimming's now got new animations, yes (at level 3 of the Fitness skill, if I recall).
    5. Those powers are available to all mermaids, yes. I've read that certain elements are available to only good or evil sims but don't hold me to that. I haven't worked extensively with mermaids, so somebody else can probably answer that better than me.

Does that help?
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    @MissyHissy

I like the fact that the festival is low key compared to city living, if I make friends with the locals will they call me up begging me to go to the festival? Mermaids are kind of a bummer compared to Vamps But I think this would have been a decent game pack.

and yes, it does thank you! I think its a good pack, but not for $40. I think if I do get it I'll get it at half price. Thank you so much this thread has brought some misconceptions I had on the pack to light that reviewers or LP's had yet to show me.
  • Options
    @Techbilt I've no idea if they'll phone you or not. I hadn't received any calls and my sims were friends with quite a few locals. It looks like they're just something that happens on a spur of the moment basis. It fits nicely though with the close-knit community Sulani has. It's lovely <3 Yeah, the mermaids don't have much in the way of features (this hasn't bothered me primarily because I don't play supernaturals much. I don't have the vamp pack so I can't help with comparisons really).

I do like the beach activites, such as building the sand sculptures and digging for seashells (and trash, to help clean the place up). I'm particularly pleased that the toddlers got included in this, with a couple of beach interactions because they got completely overlooked in Sims 3. I feel like it's added to the family interactions, especially as the sand-oriented activities are not restricted to beaches. Therefore, you can build sand pits in the back garden. Excellent <3

Glad it's helped! :)
  • Options
    starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am truly enjoying Island Living. I finally played a Sim that then became a mermaid who has a cat for company. I thought this shot of her playing in the sea while he snoozed on her bed to be quite cute, despite the poor quality of my graphics.

fnr36wv.jpg

I sure hope EA fixes a few of the problems that we, the players, found like broken tubs, off-grid stuff that needs electricity, etc. But on the whole, I've been playing this for a week and have still just scratched the surface. One thing I do love is that Sulani is low key and friendly, very much like true island living is in RL.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    I'm a bit disappointed with all the rabbit holes. But this pack does a great job at making you feel like your sims are relaxing on an island. I've never felt so relaxed watching my sims sleep on a float in the middle of the ocean.

Btw has anyone done anything creative when your sims go to the island festivals in order to make them better.