Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

there are no new whims in island living and

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    Agree. I love the whims. Use them all the time - wish there were new whims for the new pack seeing it is an ep for heavens sake.

I do love this pack but when it is lacking something it is a much bigger deal when it is an ep for sure.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I wish they would tell us if they have stopped whims altogether I think I would rather know for sure instead of wondering
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    One thing I wish the game had is an unemployed sim rolling a whim to enter a specific career. I used that all the time in Sims 2, when my sims grew to adulthood or finished university. If the career in question conflicted with the Sims LTW I let them enter the desired career just to get the aspiration points and then had them get the job they really wanted shortly afterwards. :) Unfortunately we have fewer aspirations tied to jobs now so having an unemployed sim (not a freelancer or sim with a custom title) wish to enter a specific career would give a little more meaning to the career choice, I think.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    I love the whims and would very much like them to reflect a sims trait and aspiration more than they do now. Fears would be a great addition too.

These are some comments I made in another thread about whims:

I love whims. I remember when I updated the game some time ago after a long break from the game and found that whims had been switched off - I genuinely panicked that they had been removed before reading that they were just switched off by default. The sims just feel more real to me because they have temporary whims, just like humans! Having said that, I don't agree with some of the whims (pool squares and bee boxes!) but on the whole, I feel that the game would be poorer without them.

One thing I wish the game had is an unemployed sim rolling a whim to enter a specific career. I used that all the time in Sims 2, when my sims grew to adulthood or finished university. If the career in question conflicted with the Sims LTW I let them enter the desired career just to get the aspiration points and then had them get the job they really wanted shortly afterwards. :) Unfortunately we have fewer aspirations tied to jobs now so having an unemployed sim (not a freelancer or sim with a custom title) wish to enter a specific career would give a little more meaning to the career choice, I think.

that would be nice I also wish they could roll a whim to adopt a child and if we get cars I hope they roll whims to learn to drive and teach others to drive or fix up a car or if we a had a university pack a whim to go would have been nice and with the new magic pack a whim to cast spells on other sims @Mariefoxprice83
    I wonder if the sims gurus miss whims and wants to

that would be nice I also wish they could roll a whim to adopt a child and if we get cars I hope they roll whims to learn to drive and teach others to drive or fix up a car or if we a had a university pack a whim to go would have been nice and with the new magic pack a whim to cast spells on other sims @Mariefoxprice83

I'm not fussed about cars but I definitely agree with the rest :) Sims 2 did all of those things in its whims, and it feels like a step back to be without them if and when we get the relevant packs. We I know we're getting magic in some form, so hopefully whims will play at least an occasional role in that.

One thing I've noticed is that in Sims 4 we just don't get the fun random element in the same way as we did with Sims 2. Sims don't want to enter any careers unless it's related to their aspiration, crazy things don't happen often, and sims only want to flirt with sims they have already expressed romantic interest in, because there's no clear attraction system (I think I miss that the most!)
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    I already updated my whimoverhaul mod for Island Living:
    https://www.deichschafblog.de/s4/sonstige-mods/
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited June 2019
    The thing that bothers me most about whims is that they just decided to get rid of them rather than improve on them.

Sure, whims are extremely lazy and irrelevant in the Sims 4, often times they don't make sense (like the whim for buying a 5x5 pool) or are too trivial (like the whim for buy a toy). But, it's been over 4 years, and they've had plenty of opportunities to improve them. But no, I guess it was just too difficult for them to do this, and they ended up just eliminating them altogether. You can turn them back on, but what's the point if they're not even updating them for existing packs? Like another poster stated, they didn't bother updating them for Strangerville, and now they haven't done it for Island Living either.

I really hope the devs actually read this. THEY KNOW that the sims are shallow and lack personality. And they could have improved this with fixing the whims. But, NO, this was just toooo hard. All they care about is windows dressing :(

AND If they can't even fix or update whims, do you really think we'll get attraction, fears, or favorites? If whims are too hard for them, how will they improve the sims at all?
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me most about whims is that they just decided to get rid of them rather than improve on them.

Sure, whims are extremely lazy and irrelevant in the Sims 4, often times they don't make sense (like the whim for buying a 5x5 pool) or are too trivial (like the whim for buy a toy). But, it's been over 4 years, and they've had plenty of opportunities to improve them. But no, I guess it was just too difficult for them to do this, and they ended up just eliminating them altogether. You can turn them back on, but what's the point if they're not even updating them for existing packs? Like another poster stated, they didn't bother updating them for Strangerville, and now they haven't done it for Island Living either.

I really hope the devs actually read this. THEY KNOW that the sims are shallow and lack personality. And they could have improved this with fixing the whims. But, NO, this was just toooo hard. All they care about is windows dressing :(

AND If they can't even fix or update whims, do you really think we'll get attraction, fears, or favorites? If whims are too hard for them, how will they improve the sims at all?

The only real reason I use whims is to get the rewards.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited June 2019
    Honestly they should just bring back Wishes from Sims 3.

They popped up based on what a Sim was doing, where a Sim was or what traits they had

And you could save up to 4 wishes you wanted to fulfill, not just 1
    a256aFi.gif

They popped up based on what a Sim was doing, where a Sim was or what traits they had

You can actually pin both non-emotional whims.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member

Yes, but you can just pin 1 and not 4, as stated in my post.
    a256aFi.gif

Yes, but you can just pin 1 and not 4, as stated in my post.

*2 and not 4. But yes, that does stink.
    edited June 2019
    I was thinking I have all the sims 2 packs and all the sims 3 eps but sims 4 was the one where I got to enjoy waiting for new packs and talk about them with other simmers when I got sims 2 and 3 all the packs were already out so this time has meant a lot to me
    and even though the thing going on with the whims has hit me really hard its great to be able to talk about it with other simmers
    this is a wonderful community
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I already updated my whimoverhaul mod for Island Living:
    https://www.deichschafblog.de/s4/sonstige-mods/

thanks for making the mod
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Whims have to be completely overhauled, IMHO. Adding new ones won’t fix the issue that it’s a mostly useless system.

In TS2/TS3, completing wants had a direct influence on the happiness of your Sims (especially in 2). The Sims 3 had wants tuned to be more rewarding, when wanting to redeem the points you earn within the reward store.

The Sims 4’s whims only present 3 at a time, reward a tiny 25-50 points (whereas the only good rewards are in the 1000s range), and don’t always appear to be contextual.
    I like whims not just because it helps you know what your sim wants but also because it helps me do things in the game I wouldn't have thought of like fight with someone or go some where like a park and end up meeting a new sim
    or get a pet and I think if they add to it they could get people trying parts of the game that don't get used that often
    or just get people to play longer because they didn't know about parts of the game or about objects they could use
    I like whims not just because it helps you know what your sim wants but also because it helps me do things in the game I wouldn't have thought of like fight with someone or go some where like a park and end up meeting a new sim
    or get a pet and I think if they add to it they could get people trying parts of the game that don't get used that often
    or just get people to play longer because they didn't know about parts of the game or about objects they could use

Sometimes they do convince me to do things I ordinarily wouldn't.

But pretty much everyone wants to go meet someone new, go make a friend, tell a joke, send a happy text, etc; most whims aren't unique to the Sim's personality/experiences, and can make them seem like cardboard cutouts.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Yet another thing they decided they would rather get rid of than fix. Just because we don't use it doesn't mean we don't like it or want it in our games. It most of the time just means we'd like it to be redone in some way to make it better. Why do they only do things either halfway or not at all?
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Honestly, this is why the game has been so boring for me lately. What's the point if Sims have no wants? Might as well just leave them on free play all the time.
    I absolutely don't understand what's so hard about programming whims in relation to the Sims' traits and what's going on around them, and put some limits in place so that the same whims don't pop up all the time too. It would make the game so much more interesting.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2019
    Doesn't look Sims themselves on characteristical/emotional level will ever be improved or near the end of the game's span. It's been talked many times as number of #1 request, lingering in the first page of feedback. There's a reason pack's like Vampires, Parenthood and Get Famous are well or ok received than other. They enforce and provide customization options for Characterization your Sims, with perks and rules that define the corresponding target entity (vampires, celebrities or kids). For whatever reason, strangerville and color swatches for the least desired object (doors) is their priotity over revamping Sims or releasing world building tool that developers use.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    For me whims are one of the most important things in The Sims games. They were the reason for me to play TS2. I hope that they just rebuild it, not leave or cancel. :(
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2019
    Aericia wrote: »
    For me whims are one of the most important things in The Sims games. They were the reason for me to play TS2. I hope that they just rebuild it, not leave or cancel. :(
    They wouldn't put in that disable option If they planned on ever improving them later. Just think about it: it's disabled by default (I was confused where the whims before realizing), with the intention to forget there ever been whims. 100% I estimate they won't.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • fabemefabeme Posts: 830 Member
    This... if we could get back fear and wishes ! it would be so much better and I am pretty sure that more players would use those !
    Sims 3 and Origin Username: fabeme