Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about the rare golden Mahi mahi fish

mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
So I am slowly but surely working on updating my collections for my collection rooms. I am catching the fish and keeping them alive and fresh for my fish collection. I caught the very rare Golden Mahi mahi fish but had a pop up warning me its illegal to keep so I released it, because while updating the collections I am trying to heal Sulani with my conservation sim. Now my question is what happens if you keep the golden Mahi mahi, because I need it for my collection rooms. I will keep it in a fishtank with the others until I am done with the collections.

Comments

• Options
    NivyxNivyx Posts: 244 Member
    I was able to catch them from the island lot by the volcano without the pop up. I got a pop up for another type of fish though. I haven’t tried keeping any that had the pop up so I don’t know what would happen.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    My sim has fished a lot on Sulani, he must have caught around 40 different types, including rare and endangered ones. I kept one of each fish for mounting, then after that I release the endangered ones. As far as I could see, nothing happens. I was a bit nervous about this as well :)

Anyway, the best way to get loads of fish? Fish Traps! You get a lot of other stuff too, like shells and treasures. Use small, cheap fish to bait the trap, wait for them to fill up, and reap the rewards. I've gotten up to 10-12 fish from ONE trap + all the misc. stuff (lumps of clay, cameras, Sulani shells and treasures ++)

BTW, thanks so much for the collection rooms! They are brilliant and a sanity saver, especially when you're missing like 1 or 2 items, and the game refuses to give them to you :)
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited June 2019
    My SIM got caught fishing up a butterfly fish native to land, she kept it but I didn't see any consequences, maybe there wasn't one of those folks to enforce the rules yet
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    so far, i've found three fish with the endangered popup (butterfly fish, leopard shark, golden mahi mahi). most of the time my sims don't have anything happen to them for keeping the fish (i'm about 50/50 on keeping/releasing) but every once in a while, a day after the catch i'll get a message from a random sim about having been caught fish poaching and needing to pay a $500 fine, which immediately gets taken out of household funds
  • Options
    Thanks all for you comments :) I can live with a 500 dollar fine, motherlode can help with that. LOL I have tried the fishing trap, but somehow accidently released all my fish, so need to figure that one out ;)
  • Options
    yeah, the 'move fish to my inventory' option isn't named the clearest (it's 'empty trap', i believe). but the fish traps are quite handy, esp once you start placing bait in them

the location you put them determines what you can catch. it seems shallow, 'medium' and deep waters give you different options (i'm currently in the middle of placing traps in all three types of locations and checking that out) and about a day after you set them (they need to be 'set' or 'set with bait', not just placed. i...forgot that once...) should be full of fish. you can grab the fish early, but only get 2-3 fish that way. waiting until the description says it's totally full will net quite an assortment and occasionally treasures (and things like plumbing parts)
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Anyone got a pic of this fish?
  • Options
    here's one next to a regular mahi mahi (i'm currently decorating my marine biology lab so was scrolling through fish to put on tables for 'research purposes')

a4b71bac64d159cb373c27899a63791f.png

unrelated, but a research purpose screenshot:
    6d57ab5bd4176752ddcab9595cda0666.png
  • Options
    so, here's a quick bit of findings... just from one catch from each location, so very much not fully studied...

shallow water (literally ankle deep):
    b1ffd00da5e6ffa9472775c9f944f300.png

'medium' water (i think?). directly over a snorkeling reef:
    7a1c64678484bdda0cfdb3ead52bd571.png

deep water, next to a diving buoy:
    39f0af8739e74ce6e6b6152703f3e1d3.png

there are definitely some fish that seem to be caught at different depths but others are available in all. also, my fisher only has skill 6, so i'm hoping that all that empty space in the deep one is supposed to have rarer fish... seems awfully short compared to the other two
  • Options
    Very interesting @kalaksed :)
  • Options
    floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    I think one of the consequences of keeping an endangered fish is that if your sim can summon the Elementals, they will not be happy with your sim, and I believe they can cause negative things to happen. I'm not 100% sure though, as I haven't played around with this part of the pack yet.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • Options
    I think one of the consequences of keeping an endangered fish is that if your sim can summon the Elementals, they will not be happy with your sim, and I believe they can cause negative things to happen. I'm not 100% sure though, as I haven't played around with this part of the pack yet.

That's a thing I didn't think about. My sim couldn't summon the elementals, but his now moved in friend can. He got their blessing, so I guess they didn't notice the 3 mounted endangered fish on the wall (HE also didn't fish them up) :D The fish probably needs to be in your sims inventory
  • Options
    Bellesim67Bellesim67 Posts: 38 Member
    My sim found one while beachcombing for trash.
  • Options
    just want to come here and say that, now that i've finally had a sim catch all the fish, there are a total of five endangered species. alongside the butterfly fish, leopard shark and golden mahi mahi, we've also got the bluefin tuna and the royal sabrefish (both of which have avoided all my fishing sims until today, even though they're all at max fishing from trying to catch those two)

i've only managed to catch one sabrefish but multiple bluefins, all from the one fishing spot on mua pel'am that gets rainbow sparklies once your sim reaches level 8 fishing
  • Options
    suzyl3suzyl3 Posts: 513 Member
    These new fish are so pretty that I'm willing to pay that $500 fine to keep them. I'm gonna just keep some of the endangered ones for my fish tank and then I'm releasing the rest lmaoooo
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Ah, it's the leopard shark I'm missing (got all the rest of them). I kept one of each of the endangered fish to mount (and felt very guilty about it), but I've been releasing the others. So far, there haven't been any consequences, but as suggested above, it would probably make the elementals very unhappy.

I also wonder if it's contributing to the general degradation of the island - there's more and more algae in the water. I had my Sim do some beachcombing for trash, and got a message that the island was improving, but that was before she caught the sabrefish.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    i dunno if keeping the endangered species counts against island conservation but i do know releasing them counts for it. catching an invasive species also counts for conservation and pulling up seaweed, driftwood or a treasure chest all also count towards conservation so fishing overall tends to be a decently fast way to get the 100 conservation points needed for island change
  • Options
    Fishing is absolutely a great way to clean up the island, or keep it clean. You'll catch plenty of invasive species, like perch, celestial grouper or goldfish. I've gotten so many treasure chests, some times more than fish. I've no idea how many lumps of clay and cheap cameras I've fished up...its a LOT. Not to mention Voodoo dolls :D Just wish they didn't throw the seaweed/driftwood back in, though :#
  • Options
    Uh oh, there is definitely an unpleasant consequence to catching endangered fish. Some official-type Sim stopped Indiana and took away the endangered mounted fish in her inventory. (I think there was some message about having something that didn't belong to her.)

Now, I'm mad. I'm going to have to re-catch those fish (and immediately go back to my Sim's house in Willow Creek to put the mounted fish in the treasure basement). Only lost two - I had the other two safely at home, fortunately, and I'm still trying to get the leopard shark. (Okay, I still feel bad about it. I mean, endangered species!)
  • Options
    Uh oh, there is definitely an unpleasant consequence to catching endangered fish. Some official-type Sim stopped Indiana and took away the endangered mounted fish in her inventory. (I think there was some message about having something that didn't belong to her.)

Now, I'm mad. I'm going to have to re-catch those fish (and immediately go back to my Sim's house in Willow Creek to put the mounted fish in the treasure basement). Only lost two - I had the other two safely at home, fortunately, and I'm still trying to get the leopard shark. (Okay, I still feel bad about it. I mean, endangered species!)

Got my leopard shark, finally. Tambaqui fishing from a boat near some corals where I'd seen a bunch of fish jumping around.

I was going to post a list of bait when I finished, but the notebook isn't terribly useful - it only states whether fish were caught with large, medium or small fish, frogs, flowers or produce. There doesn't seem to be any preference for a particular bait - most of my fish show up with a variety of baits used to catch them. One of those types might be 'preferred', but there's no way to tell which one.