Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

there are no new whims in island living and

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I hope sims 5 has wants or whims or something like it because if it doesn't I can tell you right now i'm not buying
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    @comicsforlife have you ever tough that games evoles and that also go for the sims game not every player of the game are into wants or whims as a player i am not so for me its not something that i find important as a player never bothered my self with those in pass sims game and its not something i went to see return in game i think they need to modernise the sims game and not bring back content from older game but thats my toughs as a player.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    @comicsforlife have you ever tough that games evoles and that also go for the sims game not every player of the game are into wants or whims as a player i am not so for me its not something that i find important as a player never bothered my self with those in pass sims game and its not something i went to see return in game i think they need to modernise the sims game and not bring back content from older game but thats my toughs as a player.

maybe your right and other people wont care ether but for me its really sad sims 4 was my favorite sims game my favorite game of all the games I played and whims were already in it and it seems like they stopped doing them before the game was even done now even if they add some of the things I've been wanting like dragons or cars or slow dance I will always be thinking its to bad they can't want to do it or find any interests in it
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Personally I never depended on whims so if they are not there I do not miss them but I hope they do return them for those who do care. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

maybe your right and other people wont care ether but for me its really sad sims 4 was my favorite sims game my favorite game of all the games I played and whims were already in it and it seems like they stopped doing them before the game was even done now even if they add some of the things I've been wanting like dragons or cars or slow dance I will always be thinking its to bad they can't want to do it or find any interests in it

I care. I care a lot about whims and thought bubbles -- it helps me feel like I am getting into the Sim's head. Sims 4 whims and thought bubbles are very lackluster, though, compared to 2&3. I would love for them to fix them, but I'm not sure that they can.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Personally I never depended on whims so if they are not there I do not miss them but I hope they do return them for those who do care. :)

sometimes I would do my own thing also but I also like whims not just because it helps you know what your sim wants but also because it helps me do things in the game I wouldn't have thought of like fight with someone or go some where like a park and end up meeting a new sim
    or get a pet @Goldmoldar
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I think a lot fell through the cracks with this expansion pack, or at least that's what it feels like. For my play style wants and fears/wishes/whims are important to how I play, that how I get a feel for who my sims are, that's how I experience everything a pack has to offer, I don't have stories already in mind when I play the sims, I don't already have personalities for my sims planned out, I play the sims to be inspired by them.

Sims 4 should not only improve on what its predecessors had but it should also go above and beyond especially if previous iterations did it in the past(such as vacations, seasons, Island Paradise, university, occults, etc) . They should introduce new things (and they have introduced new systems and gameplay) as well as make things bigger and better than previous versions. What the Devs and producers need to do is look at previous games and say "okay players really like this, can we improve that? What about this? People didn't like this. Do we need it? Can we make it so people will like it?"

Since Whims are turned off by default now I'm not surprised they've stopped adding to them though I am glad you can turn them back on and they weren't taken away completely. I hope modders will be able to fix what I hope is an oversite. But anymore it looks like aspirations are the new wants. I think they want us to pay more attention to those than whims.

There is a sad pattern I have noticed recently though, with Lounge chairs and someone said there weren't any whims in the strangerville pack either, that they seem to be forgetting a lot of the features that are in the game. Lounge chairs you can't multi-task in, no new whims in a pack. Stragerville would have been nice to whims in as well, this seems like a concerning pattern.
    Techbilt wrote: »
    I think a lot fell through the cracks with this expansion pack, or at least that's what it feels like. For my play style wants and fears/wishes/whims are important to how I play, that how I get a feel for who my sims are, that's how I experience everything a pack has to offer, I don't have stories already in mind when I play the sims, I don't already have personalities for my sims planned out, I play the sims to be inspired by them.

Sims 4 should not only improve on what its predecessors had but it should also go above and beyond especially if previous iterations did it in the past(such as vacations, seasons, Island Paradise, university, occults, etc) . They should introduce new things (and they have introduced new systems and gameplay) as well as make things bigger and better than previous versions. What the Devs and producers need to do is look at previous games and say "okay players really like this, can we improve that? What about this? People didn't like this. Do we need it? Can we make it so people will like it?"

Since Whims are turned off by default now I'm not surprised they've stopped adding to them though I am glad you can turn them back on and they weren't taken away completely. I hope modders will be able to fix what I hope is an oversite. But anymore it looks like aspirations are the new wants. I think they want us to pay more attention to those than whims.

There is a sad pattern I have noticed recently though, with Lounge chairs and someone said there weren't any whims in the strangerville pack either, that they seem to be forgetting a lot of the features that are in the game. Lounge chairs you can't multi-task in, no new whims in a pack. Stragerville would have been nice to whims in as well, this seems like a concerning pattern.

I hope it was an over site as well and I agree with you and I also play the sims a lot like you do
    edited June 2019
    hey @LiELF I just thought of something that made me a little hopeful there were no skills in the last two packs ether so maybe they really are redoing whims and skills some how and oh also dont get your hopes up to high but SimGuruNinja said something to make me think fear might be added to the sims 4 he showed a pic of the new sim blared out and two other sims reacting to it
    and he said under it I wonder if there frightened or disgusted
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    hey @LiELF I just thought of something that made me a little hopeful there were no skills in the last two packs ether so maybe they really are redoing whims and skills some how and oh also dont get your hopes up to high but SimGuruNinja said something to make me think fear might be added to the sims 4 he showed a pic of the new sim blared out and two other sims reacting to it
    and he said under it I wonder if there frightened or disgusted

@comicsforlife I saw that pic! I thought of that too, but I don't want to hope for official Fear in case that's not it. I did notice that I have some Sims in game getting a "frightened" moodlet during thunderstorms but with a "tense" emotion, so...you never know. I'm trying to stay calm about it, lol. I don't want to be disappointed.

But I do hope they are working on some overhauls because it seems like a lot of people are asking for better personalities now. I know it's a huge endeavor, but if they can make some good changes, I really think it would be worth it in the end for general gameplay. Every pack would have more value if the base game Sims had more depth and individuality. (And customization!)
    #Team Occult
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I love whims. I remember when I updated the game some time ago after a long break from the game and found that whims had been switched off - I genuinely panicked that they had been removed before reading that they were just switched off by default. The sims just feel more real to me because they have temporary whims, just like humans! Having said that, I don't agree with some of the whims (pool squares and bee boxes!) but on the whole, I feel that the game would be poorer without them.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    I really hope they are overhauling the Whims because it feels like all my sims ever want are: The Bee Box, a Pool that's at least 1x1, and to compliment someone, all of my sims. I've made different sims with every possible trait combination they all want these three things 80% of the time and I can't stand it.

Whims I think should be a guide especially to newer players, I remember being new to the sims and not really knowing what to do so I looked toward my sims wants (I started with Sims 2) I don't remember what she wanted, might have been a job, hovered over said to find a job in the newspaper or computer. There should be a whim for everything there is to do in a pack, and I think they should have more to do with sims traits as well. I can't see an Evil or Mean sim wanting to compliment someone when they're happy Or a Loner sim wanting to join a club.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Wow, really? That's interesting. I too hope they're actually planning on updating the whims so Sims feel more unique. Most of the time, my sims all have the same ones. I can understand my materialistic sims always wanting to buy random things, but all of my sims shouldn't be wanting to buy everything in the buy catalog. I want whims to relate more closely to their traits and aspiration.
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    Whims were so boring. I'm glad they finally stopped supporting them. :)
    I have tweeted some of the gurus about whims and have asked if they stopped doing them and to please reconsider if they have it would help if those who can would tweet them to so they know we like whims
    I wonder why none of the big youtubers are covering this its a pretty big deal its the first time they stopped making whims or wants since the sims 2 even if they didn't like them it seems like something they should be talking about
    They honestly probably hadn't noticed, I don't even notice whims half the time and that's how I usually play! They are so useless the way they currently are that people forget they are even there.
    I love whims. I remember when I updated the game some time ago after a long break from the game and found that whims had been switched off - I genuinely panicked that they had been removed before reading that they were just switched off by default. The sims just feel more real to me because they have temporary whims, just like humans! Having said that, I don't agree with some of the whims (pool squares and bee boxes!) but on the whole, I feel that the game would be poorer without them.

I feel the same way @Mariefoxprice83
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited June 2019
    The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm pretty shocked that whims seem to be completely abandoned. A few patches ago they were "disabled" and now whims need to be turned on in settings. Now, no new whims for Island Living. I can understand not having any whims for the game packs such as Strangerville. But none for the expansion pack? What a incredible missed opportunity.

If the team decided to abandon whims because people weren't using them enough, that's because they weren't well designed and were overly repetitive. But no whims makes our sims even less interesting and unique.

I seriously hope that this lack of attention means there is an overhaul being planned. Because otherwise it's sad. I can't imagine University coming out with no whims to attend University. I'll never forget in Sims 2 when teenage sims had the Wants to attend college and the Fear of not attending. Sometimes it was frustrating, but it added a lot of depth. The human condition is to WANT. Aspirations, especially in this version are not a replacement. Ideally, both Whims/Wants and Fears would return in Sims 4.

If you are not considering this now, PLEASE consider revamping whims, and ideally, adding Fears. We are getting to the point where we have enough "stuff" for our Sims. Now we really need more depth. This game would be so incredibly improved with these types of adjustments to the Sims themselves.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I just wanted to comment I wholeheartedly agree with the OP and I hope they don't mind I created another thread calling attention to this issue, because the more I thought about it, the more upsetting it became...
  • Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    Yes, PREACH IT! I use the whims even though they are repetitive and there isn't anything new added. They are a huge part of the personal depth to an individual sim. Getting married, having kids, buying or replacing things in their household etc. Going off what they want makes the game more interesting and intriguing (at least for me).
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    It feels like they have just given up on whims. I hope I am wrong.
    edited June 2019
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I just wanted to comment I wholeheartedly agree with the OP and I hope they don't mind I created another thread calling attention to this issue, because the more I thought about it, the more upsetting it became...

yes it is upsetting if you can tweet about this to a sim guru tell them how you feel if we all do that maybe they will reconsider @Pegasys
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm pretty shocked that whims seem to be completely abandoned. A few patches ago they were "disabled" and now whims need to be turned on in settings. Now, no new whims for Island Living. I can understand not having any whims for the game packs such as Strangerville. But none for the expansion pack? What a incredible missed opportunity.

If the team decided to abandon whims because people weren't using them enough, that's because they weren't well designed and were overly repetitive. But no whims makes our sims even less interesting and unique.

I seriously hope that this lack of attention means there is an overhaul being planned. Because otherwise it's sad. I can't imagine University coming out with no whims to attend University. I'll never forget in Sims 2 when teenage sims had the Wants to attend college and the Fear of not attending. Sometimes it was frustrating, but it added a lot of depth. The human condition is to WANT. Aspirations, especially in this version are not a replacement. Ideally, both Whims/Wants and Fears would return in Sims 4.

If you are not considering this now, PLEASE consider revamping whims, and ideally, adding Fears. We are getting to the point where we have enough "stuff" for our Sims. Now we really need more depth. This game would be so incredibly improved with these types of adjustments to the Sims themselves.
    well said I agree with you 100%
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    We are getting to the point where we have enough "stuff" for our Sims. Now we really need more depth. This game would be so incredibly improved with these types of adjustments to the Sims themselves.

This 100%. The sims themselves need an overhaul more than any new objects and clothes. The whims are just one example. The execution of them is just plain bad. All off the sims get the same whims and it seems not to matter if they make sense or not. Every sim seems to want to buy a bee box, even if the sim is lazy. Every sims seems to want to buy pet toys, even if they don't have a pet. The whims should properly reflect the sims, lifestyle, traits, and aspiration.

I am also hoping that the reason for these changes is because they are planning an update on them and that they didn't put new ones in Island Living because the system is being worked on. It would be horrible to abandon them at this point, especially when the sims already have such little depth and variety between them.