Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It Gets Better partnership

I was trying to find a more direct avenue to communicate this feedback, but it seems more direct channels are (rightly) reserved to handling problems. As far as I can tell, this is the best place to say this.

Maxis, this is just how it is done.

Thank you for your inclusion of Pride apparel to mark the historic 50th year of Pride, in partnership with It Gets Better.

Here is what you did right:
  • Limited English Text - I prefer Simlish in my game and you left me plenty of options.
  • Representing the Larger Community - your flag selection for wall decor included more than I knew. I learned something. Also, when early viewers pointed out a key constituency that had been missed (at least in the preview), you fixed the omission before release. Good work!
  • Free Content - too many companies pose as Allies to use Pride to sell us things. You gave us a gift. That's different
  • Integral to the values of the game and the studio - I think you know that, without necessarily meaning to, The Sims since its inception has been groundbreaking in its representation. The content feels sincere because I see the ongoing work you have done in-studio to be even better. You have made EA overall better, through your association.
  • Youth outreach and support - Gaming has a potential to reach younger persons than many media, and it's a segment of the community most at-risk. You didn't choose to partner with a lobbying group like HRC or even GLAAD - you chose one that gives hope where it's needed.

I can think of more, but those are the biggies.

I know that including stuff like this is still controversial, and am not here to debate that. I am here to say, as someone who has been bombarded by rainbow advertisement all month, this is different, and it's better, and it's appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Yes! I love :love: love the inclusiveness! & my sims are already sporting Pridewear. Makes me happy to see them wearing it in-game. :sunglasses:

Still surprises me, though, that the museum-style paintings in decor do not include nonwhite sims. I'd like my sims from continents other than Europe to have 100+-year-old artwork to hang on their walls, so I can pretend those are their ancestors, their history. I use what I can find from the gallery, but the art style isn't the same; it's less paint-like, and of course the only framing we can use on 'em is modern. I really don't understand why Maxis, who try to be inclusive, have this huge blind spot! I made a thread about it some months back, but it got no traction. /shrug.

Meanwhile, though, I'm really happy about the LGBTQ-inclusiveness! :heart:
  • Options
    storminmaystorminmay Posts: 137 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Free Content - too many companies pose as Allies to use Pride to sell us things. You gave us a gift. That's different

This this this this this this this.
    Origin/Gallery ID: storminmay

The Venegas-Chan Family Tree
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Tiarella - oh, there is progress to be made representationally, too, to be sure. I am just confident that Maxis also knows that and is already looking for ways to improve. Your specific example is a good one, and yes, we should not be complacent. Still, I don't feel like Maxis is all "What? You have Ms. Pac-Man too, now. What more do you want?"
    Post edited by Sindocat on