Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Funny Book Titles

2...Next

Comments

• iamsweetmysteryiamsweetmystery Posts: 250 Member
    I think "The Night the Moon Forgot to Shine" might be a parody of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"
    9ndehwc.png
    Just spotted another book joke. The toddler book "When is Winter" is definitely a spoof on the Snow family motto from the Game of Thrones series. (Winter is Coming). In the book's description, it says "When is winter? Who knows, but it's coming."
    9ndehwc.png
  • CarlaplaysCarlaplays Posts: 36 Member
    Carrie the Clumsy Ghost is a pretty good one
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I love "The little train that couldn't" and "The Bladder Games"
  • FurryModSpinelFurryModSpinel Posts: 481 Member
    The glutton spiel. the description is even better.
    fnf is a very pog game
    814240012736397312.png

If I recall, The Glutton Spiel is another Hunger Games spoof. There are at least 2 or 3 others as well. The Bladder Games, for example. Some things got multiple parodies. Game of Thrones got a few. (Game of Groans, Musical Chairs: a Song of Hot and Cold, etc.) I think the bigger the fad, the more it got hit with this, perhaps just to make sure players would catch part of it at least.
    9ndehwc.png
    By the way, my all-time favourite book title is in the non-fiction. It's called "How To Seriously Injure Someone With This Book." lmao.
    9ndehwc.png
  • ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    Crisis Barn is supposed to be Animal Farm, I'm pretty sure. And I think Chronicles of Narnia is more likely than the other suggested title, but I could be wrong.
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

I just read the description for Glutton Spiel. Definitely Hunger Games. Kids chosen from isolated post-apocalyptic communities to fight to the death... Plus the "Glutton" in the title is a food/hunger reference, plus it says "because future" and it's listed in Sci-Fi. I'm not sure where the "Spiel" part fits in though. I always thought a spiel was a rambling monologue, or some such.
    9ndehwc.png
    edited June 2019
    Okay, I just did a search and came up with something unexpected. I think I know where "Spiel" fits in now.
    Quoted from Wikipedia... "With 1,021 exhibitors from 50 nations (in 2016) SPIEL is the worldwide biggest fair for board games."
    It's not about the word "spiel", it's referencing a German board game convention. I'd never heard of that, but the reference makes so much more sense now.
    (Additionally, I suspect "Glutton Spiel" is also a pun on the "glockenspiel" which is a miniature xylophone. Some of these Sims jokes have so many layers...)
    P.S. The third Hunger Games parody is "The Plunder Games".
    9ndehwc.png
  • ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    Spiel is German for game or play, I thought? Something like that. But that was good work, @iamsweetmystery
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

From what I looked up, "spiel" means a long story or speech, usually used to persuade. A rambling sales pitch would be an example of this. Basically, rhetoric. In a way, I could see that concept being related to "playing a game" (a game of words, playing with minds/emotions, etc.) and the way language tends to evolve, I could totally see how the connection could be made in another language to play and games in general through a shift in use over time. Also, some types of games (such as PnP RPGs) make use of long stories and various forms of persuasion as a gameplay mechanic.
    Sorry if I rambled a bit, myself. I've always found linguistics and etymology extremely fascinating.
    9ndehwc.png
    Back on the subject of the books themselves, I get a lot of these references since I've read many of the RL books being parodied. I've read all 3 books in The Hunger Games, the first book of Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice), the first 3 books of Twilight, Fifty Shades of Grey, and many more, along with familiarity with other media being spoofed (Chronicles of Ridd-ick [had to modify the name. the site has a habit of censoring it.], The Fast and the Furious, Mass Effect, etc.) It's fun seeing and recognizing so many things I like getting some Sims attention. It's like with musicians and Weird Al. You know you've made it when you're significant enough for a "big player" like The Sims to parody your work, so congrats to all those authors, filmmakers and game devs immortalized in the Sims Parody Hall of Fame. :)
    9ndehwc.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top