Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building is plumming me of!

SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
edited December 2014 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
As a builder, we are so limited. many already know that and i dont have to tell that. But every time i give it a chance, cause i think 'was it really that bad?' YES!

After building detailed houses like how i want to and i how i used to do it in previous games, i gave this up in the sims 4, cause it isnt possible at all.
So today i thought: I will build a simple container house and guess what.. impossible!

Why? First of all i can't place flooring on the second level without a wall under it. Not even one or two grids over the edge. This was always possible. And they said we could even build floating houses with the sims 4.. yeah only for walls, then flooring maybe. But if you only want to place a floor somewhere floating in the air.. its impossible.

You may think, why not just build a wall under it. Well in some designs it isnt the solution. When i build a wall under it, placed the flooring and made a mistake with one tile too much.. i couldnt simply delete the ONE tile.. now i have to delete the whole flooring again, since the sims 4 works with freakin rooms. That always 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off! Why, just why?!

Ok, then i deleted the room, guess what. the foundation under it got deleted as well... i never asked for that! It just makes everything 10x harder and slower then before.

Now, what i found also strange is that you cant build flooring on the grids above the pillars.. what? What are pillars supposed to do then?

I dont know what they were thinking, but saying that this is created for builders, then tell us the 'amazing' options that are actually limiting us is just disgusting to me..

Comments

• Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I tried to make a walkway around a second floor room, but because the room was close to the edge of the lot, it would not allow me to make a floor, even though there was room. I needed a 2 square wide floor, and there are 3 spaces to the edge (not including the very outside square, which for some reason we cannot use), however, because the tool used to place the floor spaces is wider than that, it would not let me place it. Very annoying. I gave up trying. With no color wheel, no basements, and very limited choices for items and colors (NONE of which match), I just cannot create buildings like I could in TS3.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    SimsFur wrote: »
    As a builder, we are so limited. many already know that and i dont have to tell that. But every time i give it a chance, cause i think 'was it really that bad?' YES!

After building detailed houses like how i want to and i how i used to do it in previous games, i gave this up in the sims 4, cause it isnt possible at all.
    So today i thought: I will build a simple container house and guess what.. impossible!

Why? First of all i can't place flooring on the second level without a wall under it. Not even one or two grids over the edge. This was always possible. And they said we could even build floating houses with the sims 4.. yeah only for walls, then flooring maybe. But if you only want to place a floor somewhere floating in the air.. its impossible.

You may think, why not just build a wall under it. Well in some designs it isnt the solution. When i build a wall under it, placed the flooring and made a mistake with one tile too much.. i couldnt simply delete the ONE tile.. now i have to delete the whole flooring again, since the sims 4 works with freakin rooms. That always 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off! Why, just why?!

Ok, then i deleted the room, guess what. the foundation under it got deleted as well... i never asked for that! It just makes everything 10x harder and slower then before.

Now, what i found also strange is that you cant build flooring on the grids above the pillars.. what? What are pillars supposed to do then?

I dont know what they were thinking, but saying that this is created for builders, then tell us the 'amazing' options that are actually limiting us is just disgusting to me..

Yeah, I ranted about this some time ago. And even went as far to say when they said the old tools are there for us to build like before in the past...False. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. Why in the world would I waste time building a wall when I just need one tile EA up stairs hanging over the edge. Don't ask me why I just want one tile...I just do. Faster the old way is all I can say.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    Yeah this is a very irritating part of building in The Sims 4. This and the lack of CASt (and so having to choose the closest match [which may not be a match at all] rather than making it a perfect match myself) make building tedious rather than fun. In one house, the foundation had to be a darker brick than the actual wall and the fence, and it just bugs me so much. Also the hit boxes (right word?) for a lot of objects, especially lighting, seem to be far too large.
  • Options
    yes that coloring issue is horrible as well.
    many times i thought i had it right and one in a million change i could have a matching house until i came to the last piece, the roof coloring and there it was.. no matching color with the whole freakin house. it made me do it all over again and till now, still im not satisfied.
    I get that we dont get 4 colors of red maybe for every object, but at least make all the white the same and for every object and give us basic colors for everything.. doors? where are the colors? everything is white.. there goes the dream of making a wood house with wooden doors.. so frustrating
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    First of all i can't place flooring on the second level without a wall under it. Not even one or two grids over the edge. This was always possible. And they said we could even build floating houses with the sims 4.. yeah only for walls, then flooring maybe. But if you only want to place a floor somewhere floating in the air.. its impossible.

Just delete the wall afterwards.
  • Options
    First of all i can't place flooring on the second level without a wall under it. Not even one or two grids over the edge. This was always possible. And they said we could even build floating houses with the sims 4.. yeah only for walls, then flooring maybe. But if you only want to place a floor somewhere floating in the air.. its impossible.

Just delete the wall afterwards.

thats not the issue. A lot of other complications are coming with that. When i deleted the wall after it, the foundation under it that i build got deleted too.. just annoying and it makes everything slow and make u start over and over again which was never necessary in previous games.
    Separated walls got deleted as well, dont ask me why. Its all just an annoying process and they clearly didnt think how WE players build through all the years, so their statements were based on their own experience or what they thought we would like and need. It doesn't even come close.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited December 2014
    There is no question that the foundation has to be tweaked. I would rather knock it down myself, then have it knocked down for me. That puts me back in control. Also you should be able to put two buildings on the same lot without having the height be controlled by the foundation. A house and a shed for instance or a house and a garage. Also I would like to be able to have better control of color and matching and some sort of a external pattern maker if we can't have CASt.

The new build/buy tools are not bad. But they are really designed more for the non builders.
  • Options
    DizziestSimsDizziestSims Posts: 788 Member
    I agree with the OP and I'm not a builder.

They have made it very user friendly for people like me who aren't into building.
    Often I just want to slap in a room real quick or re-size it and this is great.

But when I tried to do a little more than that, it became so non-user-friendly.
    Like, the foundation has to be the same height on all structures on the lot.
    That's just a giant leap backwards.
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    I also find building frustrating.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I've gone back to sims 3 because I miss being able to build exactly what I want. I would gladly give up the new "push and pull" idea of sims 4 and ability to move entire rooms around in order to have more variety and customization for building. Also, I just miss having stuff for my sims to do together!
  • Options
    SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    Hi SimsFur!
    - Why? First of all i can't place flooring on the second level without a wall under it. Not even one or two grids over the edge. This was always possible. And they said we could even build floating houses with the sims 4.. yeah only for walls, then flooring maybe. But if you only want to place a floor somewhere floating in the air.. its impossible.

Actually you can do it.
    Open building category -> walls and find "empty wall". It looks like empty floored terrace. Pick up this floor quadrate with empty walls and place on second storage. With it you can build floating houses. Select empty wall and choose "build fence" or "build wall" or just leave it empty, but floor. You can drag and move those empty room as you do with normal room. Sorry, I really cannot explain better and I believe I cannot post picture for you because of my membership status.

Happy simming!
  • Options
    Hi SimsFur!<br />
    - Why? First of all i can't place flooring on the second level without a wall under it. Not even one or two grids over the edge. This was always possible. And they said we could even build floating houses with the sims 4.. yeah only for walls, then flooring maybe. But if you only want to place a floor somewhere floating in the air.. its impossible.<br />
    <br />
    Actually you can do it.<br />
    Open building category -> walls and find "empty wall". It looks like empty floored terrace. Pick up this floor quadrate with empty walls and place on second storage. With it you can build floating houses. Select empty wall and choose "build fence" or "build wall" or just leave it empty, but floor. You can drag and move those empty room as you do with normal room. Sorry, I really cannot explain better and I believe I cannot post picture for you because of my membership status.<br />
    <br />
    Happy simming!

That is actually for placing a foundation, you mean that? I found that yesterday as well, thanks anyway ;)

I agree with what some people said btw, this building is really 'easy' for those who want to build fast and simple, but not for the pro builders..
    I have some amazing houses drawn out that i want to make, but its not possible. We have 3 wall heights, but the whole house should be the same. i cant even build my own home where the first floor has a high ceiling, but the second floor has a normal one. Where are the half walls? or at least a fence that looks like a wall and not from stone.. well oh well.. i give it up unless some cool CC is coming out soon
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited December 2014
    Hi SimsFur!<br />
    - Why? First of all i can't place flooring on the second level without a wall under it. Not even one or two grids over the edge. This was always possible. And they said we could even build floating houses with the sims 4.. yeah only for walls, then flooring maybe. But if you only want to place a floor somewhere floating in the air.. its impossible.<br />
    <br />
    Open building category -> walls and find "empty wall". It looks like empty floored terrace. Pick up this floor quadrate with empty walls and place on second storage. With it you can build floating houses. Select empty wall and choose "build fence" or "build wall" or just leave it empty, but floor. You can drag and move those empty room as you do with normal room. Sorry, I really cannot explain better and I believe I cannot post picture for you because of my membership status.<br />
    <br />
    Happy simming!

That is actually for placing a foundation, you mean that? I found that yesterday as well, thanks anyway ;)

I agree with what some people said btw, this building is really 'easy' for those who want to build fast and simple, but not for the pro builders..
    I have some amazing houses drawn out that i want to make, but its not possible. We have 3 wall heights, but the whole house should be the same. i cant even build my own home where the first floor has a high ceiling, but the second floor has a normal one. Where are the half walls? or at least a fence that looks like a wall and not from stone.. well oh well.. i give it up unless some cool CC is coming out soon

Actually, the wall heights are specific to floors, not entire houses. In one house I built I made downstairs have a medium ceiling and upstairs have a low ceiling. I cannot remember exactly how to do it, but I think it appears when you click on an existing wall.

I agree about half walls though, especially if we could have multiple heights of those.
    Post edited by DrewRowland on
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Without CASt, I really am not into the whole building thing. Unfortunately for me, the decorating was the most interesting thing to me in Sims 3, and I didn't even realize it. Breaking up the actual playing of the sims with decorating kept me playing the game longer.
  • Options
    Hi SimsFur!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Happy simming!

Actually, the wall heights are specific to floors, not entire houses. In one house I built I made downstairs have a medium ceiling and upstairs have a low ceiling. I cannot remember exactly how to do it, but I think it appears when you click on an existing wall.

I agree about half walls though, especially if we could have multiple heights of those.

i tried it once, but it didnt work, so i wonder how you did it. I dont think its possible. Cause when you select another height for the second floor, the first floor automatically changes i remember.. maybe im wrong. Anyway, there are so many complications with this new style of building, it isnt fun at all. I miss the tricks i had in ts2 and ts3 that looked more like each other, but now it feels everything is so different.
    That MOO is back is a lot better, but i couldnt try it out yet.

• Options
    meetkitty123meetkitty123 Posts: 524 Member
    I hate building in the Sims 4 it's a pain in ... Yup why the hell they got rid of the option to set floors without walls is beyond
    STUPID STUPID gosh Sims 4 can suck so much compared to other Sims it's the worst for building or creativity. Sims 3 best of all Sims 4 is just a fancy Sims 1
    SENIOR POLLINATION TECHNICIAN #3 DOWNLOADS:
    ORIGINAL: https://goo.gl/ux61nn REMODELED: https://goo.gl/pcJwsN
    MY GALLERY ---> https://bit.ly/2N5kp8y <----

a0933d0f-c078-40f1-8aa9-1f6adbbd24d3-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Hi SimsFur!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Happy simming!

i tried it once, but it didnt work, so i wonder how you did it. I dont think its possible. Cause when you select another height for the second floor, the first floor automatically changes i remember.. maybe im wrong. Anyway, there are so many complications with this new style of building, it isnt fun at all. I miss the tricks i had in ts2 and ts3 that looked more like each other, but now it feels everything is so different.
    That MOO is back is a lot better, but i couldnt try it out yet.

You can. U could look sites that show how to build in sims 4 and learn tricks and tips for build mode.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    This is a really old post and not really relevant to changes made since the game came out in a lot of respects.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Didn't even look what year this post was since it was just in my front page. Mb
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The fact that they're talking about moveobjects being brand new didn't tip you off ?
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    They really need to put 2014 to 2016 in an Archive, so many necroposts turning up lately.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    People praise build/buy in TS4 and me as a builder Im like "Its more easy but not the best". Not only because the features that lacks but the restrictions and the way some features work. I really hate foundations in TS4, terrain tools are here but they are not good in my opinion and it looks really ugly in the map view. Objects have so many tags wrong that this is a mess. I found clutter in sculptures, outdoor banks in sofas etc... wth???
  • Options
    happyopi wrote: »
    The fact that they're talking about moveobjects being brand new didn't tip you off ?

nah, but nice that you are coming to point that out even tho it's useless to do that anymore
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey friends considering this was inactive for so long I'm going to close it off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top