Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 DLC is not refundable! But it SHOULD be.

If someone wants a refund within 24 hours of buying one of your games, they should be able to get one.
"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think you can "Dispute Charge" as well as "request refund" by the Contact us link in Origin. If all else fails you might have law on your side. In the UK we have a Trading Standards office to back us up on returns or refund law., especially if it doesn't do what is promised.

They do need to explain more why this refers to your refund request. Make sure you save pics. etc with dates to back up any claim. Usually an email helps but I don't know if that is available. I don't want a refund myself.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I think you can "Dispute Charge" as well as "request refund" by the Contact us link in Origin. If all else fails you might have law on your side. In the UK we have a Trading Standards office to back us up on returns or refund law., especially if it doesn't do what is promised.

They do need to explain more why this refers to your refund request. Make sure you save pics. etc with dates to back up any claim. Usually an email helps but I don't know if that is available. I don't want a refund myself.

they just say that dlc is non-refundable. and when i remind them that the site says if the game isnt working properly they will refund it, they tell me they are about to sign out of the chat :|
  • Options
    I didnt know that their expansions and game packs were non refundable. im not used to that. and i really , really feel weary about buying their games now because they are shipped with lots of bugs and problems.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    I sent an angry rant to an EA advisor once and got a refund for an Expansion Pack I didn't like for Sims 4. I still have the ticket where I got the refund too to prove it.

Origin says they're not refundable under their great game guarantee because they're not actually games themselves, they're add ons, but there are certain points you can make to sway them. I listed bugs in my request when I got my money back.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    I told the advisor about bugs. Im going to keep trying. I cant make a mermaid, one of the prime features of Island Living and Im so un-enthused at this point i regret every playing the sims or spending a dime on their games. I am completely burnt out :| I also have a number im going to call once i wake @PrincipleOfEntropy
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    You could try Twitter if you have an account there. You can send a direct message as well as tweet to EA Help.

https://twitter.com/EAHelp
  • Options
    I told the advisor about bugs. Im going to keep trying. I cant make a mermaid, one of the prime features of Island Living and Im so un-enthused at this point i regret every playing the sims or spending a dime on their games. I am completely burnt out :| I also have a number im going to call once i wake @PrincipleOfEntropy

The fact I asked in less than 24 hours was a factor too, looking back at the ticket. Timing and evidence of bugs are big points to include.
    2eovajb.png
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    I bought the game late last night. I should have been able to get a refund today :)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I bought the game late last night. I should have been able to get a refund today :)

I don't see how your case is different from mine. Something didn't work as intended, I owned the pack for less than 24 hours, I got a refund. If I got one with those factors in mind then I don't see why they shouldn't give you one as well.

Whatever the case, don't give up because it is certainly possible to get one, regardless of what they say.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options

I don't see how your case is different from mine. Something didn't work as intended, I owned the pack for less than 24 hours, I got a refund. If I got with those factors in mind then I don't see why they shouldn't give you one as well.

Whatever the case, don't give up because it is certainly possible to get one, regardless of what they say.

Every advisor i chat with refused and tell me dlc is non refundable. No matter how soon. And when I tell them it doesnt work they dont care at all. So....thats very encouraging for future business with them lmao :D Im going to call the phone numbers later. Right now im drained mentally and emotionally.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I don't see how your case is different from mine. Something didn't work as intended, I owned the pack for less than 24 hours, I got a refund. If I got with those factors in mind then I don't see why they shouldn't give you one as well.

Every advisor i chat with refused and tell me dlc is non refundable. No matter how soon. And when I tell them it doesnt work they dont care at all. So....thats very encouraging for future business with them lmao :D Im going to call the phone numbers later. Right now im drained mentally and emotionally.

Yes that is sad and you are right they do not care as they got your money. Another reason I do not pay full price as I do not mind losing a little bit of money to a lot of money because $40 does add up and if they are full of bugs that may never get addressed.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    the advisor i spoke with told me he was going to email me some "help" to fix the issue and he had pinpointed the problem but now I have nothing in my inbox.
  • Options
    So I called on the phone and they refused to do the refund again. So thats that.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

The fact I asked in less than 24 hours was a factor too, looking back at the ticket. Timing and evidence of bugs are big points to include.
    2eovajb.png

You possibly got a refund because they know you can call up your cc company and ask them to stop the payment. If they get involved EA doesn't get paid so it's probably not worth their trouble for a cc company to start a complaint, too. If you dispute a charge with a cc company they will usually try to get your money back because technically you aren't aware there is no refund for dlc until you get an email and cc companies frown on that for their customers.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I remember I got refunded once when I had a code that didn't work. I made the purchase on Amazon though, so their policy is probably different.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    No, DLC is not part of the “great game guarantee” and is non-refundable. I DO NOT recommend disputing this transaction with your bank! That is only for fraudulent transactions, and is considered fraud if you are just trying to get a refund for something you regret purchasing. If EA will not refund you, you are just going to have to keep it.
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hi! It looks like you're not reading your other threads now, so I'm copying my post here as there are things you can do if EA continues to refuse to refund your money even though they made such a refund for someone in exactly the same circumstances.
    Hey, 'Joy! I understand your rage, and if you're like me, part of the anger comes from feeling that there's nothing you can do about being taken advantage of--hence the venting here. But there are things you can do, even though they may not result in a refund.

You can try to dig up addresses for the company's CEO, Board of Directors, etc. (not easy with some corporations these days), and draft a letter of protest. Don't send it until you're able to rewrite using a calm rather than enraged tone, so it won't be dismissed out-of-hand.

You can make a formal complaint. Check out the federal website here, or google to see the process your state uses. It's been quite a few years since I've done the latter; in my state I believe I contacted the state Atty General's office. (Added: make sure you mention that EA gave a refund to at least one other customer whose circumstances were identical to yours, but still refused to give you a refund! That there ain't kosher!)

If I felt as strongly as you do, I'd probably also contact the Bureau of Consumer Protection to politely ask them to consider reviewing the way companies refuse to refund DLC, even when you are attempting to 'return' it within X number of hours because it doesn't work. (I'm hesitant because I suspect the underlying issue for companies is that that's enough time for hackers to basically steal the game; I simply don't know enough to take a stand or I'd have asked my political representatives to change the law). That, btw, is a third thing you can do: ask your congressperson/senator (federal and state) to change the laws that allow companies to refuse to make these refunds.

You're not helpless. There are things you can do. They may not get you the result you want, & you definitely won't get quick results, but you won't be taking it on the chin without a squeak.

Venting here won't affect EA. The steps I suggest will at least make EA have to pay someone to review your letter, get government officials (or their staff) to consider your complaint. Even if they can't take any positive action at this time, you'll have made your voice heard.

These are steps I encourage anyone to take whenever they have an issue with a company that bothers them enough to take the time to complain.

If it's not worth the time to take these steps, then for your own happiness, I hope you can find something to distract you so you can get back to enjoying life. If it helps, you could think of it this way: dwelling on this more than necessary is letting EA steal your time as well as your money.

I'll add something I learned that really helps when I'm mad as hops at a company but dealing with some service rep who didn't cause the problem: I tell them I'm very angry at the situation but I am NOT mad at the person I'm talking to & I don't blame them; this makes it possible for them to listen to me without getting all defensive (they seldom love their employer either, heh). Also, if they tell me they can't do what I ask, I very very politely ask them to let me talk to their supervisor--again that I'm not mad at them or dissatisfied with them, but since they don't have the authority to do what I'm asking, I'd like to discuss my problem with the supervisor. I've sometimes gone up a number of organizational ranks until I found someone with the authority to do what I wanted. Othertimes, I hit a dead end. It's a useful technique, though, to resolving issues w/a company BEFORE filing a formal complaint. Oh--and keep careful notes of who you talked to, & the exact times & dates. If I don't catch the name, I ask them to repeat it, and spell it if I don't know how. Keep notes, too, of what you discuss, & what the rep tells you. Otherwise, you won't remember the details when you need 'em.

Hope some of that is helpful, & apologies if you already know all that.

Edited because my postscript got mixed in with my quote. Sorry! can't seem to fix that but will keep trying...
  • Options
    They definitely do refunds for DLC. I've seen people who got refunds for vampires after a day of playing it . Ive seen people who got refunds for jungle living. Just because they dont like it. So , this "no refunds" thing is definitely a new practice @drake_mccarty .

This game should not be bought at all, actually. They will never get another penny from me, i dont care what they come out with.
  • Options
    Acknowledgement of the guarantee.

15s4y0w.png
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Acknowledgement of the guarantee.

15s4y0w.png

i talked to several EA advisors and they all refused. I may try one more time but thats it. Im through @PrincipleOfEntropy
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2019
    Take it as a lesson learned for the future.

When it comes to The Sims 4, I don't buy DLC unless it's discounted, usually 50% off. I feel EA half-bakes most of these packs, so I give them half of what they deserve in return.

And then there are packs like Strangerville which I wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole. :relaxed:
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Considering there are multiple threads on this exact subject I'm going to close this one off. There's no need for there to be multiple threads on the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top