Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do tans seem to dark to anyone else?

I feel like the transition and change needs to be more subtle. The sunburn is super red and the tan almost changes my sims ethnicity or at least that’s what it looks like to me. I’m not trying to be problematic but has anyone else experienced this or agree with me?

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2019
    Not on my computer but one of my more fair skinned sims had more of a orange like tan than anything. Didnt look overly drastic. Need to find my other image in the other thread.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • dogboy678dogboy678 Posts: 200 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Not on my computer but one of my more fair ski bed sims had more of a orange like tan than anything. Didnt look overly drastic. Need to find my other image in the other thread.

I didn’t think about that maybe it looks better on better graphics settings my computers pretty bad.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    This is one of my sims with the first sun tan she got and I play on Ultra, so not sure if it looks different with a lower setting.

XKi8siv.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    No but those tan lines! :D Didn't know this game could be so realistic. Oh and sunbathing in nude when you live with other Sims...forget it. I have never seen a Sim move so fast when her teen foster came down the steps. Well worth it when she could hide from her co-workers.
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    This is one of my sims with the first sun tan she got and I play on Ultra, so not sure if it looks different with a lower setting.

XKi8siv.png

I’ll post my screenshot later but yeah that looks a lot better
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I also think the tans are a bit much, the sim in my profile image turned so dark it was almost scary.
    This is her without tan:
    tumblr_ptgcr9waaA1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    And this is her with tan:
    tumblr_ptkc0tTD5S1v8k7elo1_1280.jpg

But I think it varies per skin tone (and maybe haircolour is of influence to appearing dark or not). I have another Sim, she has a lighter skin, but her tan seems quite alright. These are pictures that feature both Sims, so you can see the difference.
    tumblr_pthzxgy0nc1v8k7elo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_pti1muaTKB1v8k7elo3_1280.jpg
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    It depends on the skin tone, some get really nice looking tans whereas some are comparatively too dark, too saturated or not saturated enough. I was a little upset giving one of my mersims a tan only for her to turn freaking orange :|
  • xosummerloverxoxosummerloverxo Posts: 245 Member
    dogboy678 wrote: »
    I feel like the transition and change needs to be more subtle. The sunburn is super red and the tan almost changes my sims ethnicity or at least that’s what it looks like to me.

I definitely agree. Like, I actually forgot how pale my Sim was because I got used to them having such a dark tan. I wish there were different levels of tans or, like, the ability to choose how dark the tan will be. I'm trying not to complain too much with it because it's still a cool feature as a whole (especially with the tan lines feature) but yeah.
    tumblr_opy59iHeFc1vnq1cro1_400.gif
    I do not own the above gif.

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Eh I like it and I think it does depend on skintone. For example, if a sim has a darker undertone which in turn makes sense for some sims to get a deeper tan. I think it is pretty realistic.

Max Villareal and Elsa Bjergsen for example are not too different in their non tan tone but Max gets a way deeper darker tan than Elsa. I hope they don't change it unless they are going to enhance it with stages of tanning.
  • yuppyupp Posts: 570 Member
    I agree. The tans are way too dark and almost orange. I play on ultra and the fans in my game look very unnatural
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,942 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Eh I like it and I think it does depend on skintone. For example, if a sim has a darker undertone which in turn makes sense for some sims to get a deeper tan. I think it is pretty realistic.

Max Villareal and Elsa Bjergsen for example are not too different in their non tan tone but Max gets a way deeper darker tan than Elsa. I hope they don't change it unless they are going to enhance it with stages of tanning.

I like the tans too. My sim is fair skinned and she didn't get a dark tan. It looked like she barely got a tan, so I'm going to have her tan a couple of days in a row. I had her tan once and she was still a light skin color.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    What's really jarring is the skin changing undertone after tanning. That's just not possible.

That was also the problem with the new batch of darker skins added last year. They all had a really red undertone, instead of the more common yellow. I'm not saying dark skin with cool undertone doesn't exist, it very much does, what I'm saying is someone at EA should have watched more make-up tutorials to get a better grasp of how skin works.

As for tanning, I'm 90% sure the game just assigns a darker skintone on the palette instead of a proper tan mechanic.
    If you're lucky, you get a skin with same-ish undertone, and it will look okay. If you're not lucky, well have fun looking at this imposter pretending to be your sim for a while.
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited June 2019
    @LadyKyn's sim looks really nice with her tan, but mine looks more like @MDianaSanders's sim - her skin seems to have a slightly grubby look, especially the face. I think it might be because she had fair skin with a cool undertone before, whereas maybe the tans work best on sims with a warm undertone.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Yeah my sim got tan (I cancelled once it said its sun burning) and it totally changed his ethnicity! Not being problematic either but it looked unrealistic and didnt fit him, he has a mild skin tone leaning a little dark it didnt look good at all I never tanned again..really disappoint..
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I play on ultra too, amd the tan looks so dark also. There has to be levels. If you sunbathe for a shorter time, the skin must be barely tanned, and if you stay for hours it must be deeper.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    I think it might have something to do with how long you tan cause my sim tanned for just a sim hour or two and she looks fine but she does have a slightly dark skin originally so her tan just makes her look a bit darker. Might also have to do with the time of day as my sim tanned in the evening so maybe tanning at different times of the day affect it.
  • cerebroskicerebroski Posts: 1 New Member
    @everyone saying the tans are unrealistic. They actually aren’t. I live in south texas so i know tanning well. I’m half white and half mexican, and when i tan over the summer, people call me a border jumper more often than usual lmao. The tanning feature is far from unrealistic and if it looks like your sims is a different ethnicity, that’s what actually happens when you tan. The skin tones are a bit weird but i’m sure the devs will take not and modify them.
  • AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I think the sunburn is a little much. My poor sim looked dark red. It was painful just looking at her.
  • sarahxcutiesarahxcutie Posts: 2 New Member
    Does anyone know how long a suntan lasts? I don't want my sim looking super tanned forever lol
  • RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    Does anyone know how long a suntan lasts? I don't want my sim looking super tanned forever lol

@sarahxcutie About 4 sim days, I think.
    Hold on @everyone , so are there varying degrees of tan? Like a 2 hour tan vs a 4 hour tan? Cause I just waited for sim to get a middle of well tanned thought that was it. Is there just one tan overlay or many? @cmbaker16
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    @dogboy678 I don't know if there is varying degrees of the tans, just that different skintones seem to have different tans. What I posted before was just my theory as my sim didn't tan that long and her tan didn't look too dark for her skintone.

This is a picture of my mermaid sim with her tan, this is when she just finished tanning after the 2 sim hours

i39s74.png

her original tone is a slight dark tone so her tan here just makes her look a little darker. I had another sim tan who was on the lighter end of the skintones and she tanned longer than my mermaid, her tan turned out darker. So i'm thinking there might be varying degrees but I could be wrong.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    My sim looks like Ross in Friends after he went to the tanning place :lol:
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    I think its good that now tanning look darker and you can tell sims is tanned just by looking at his tan but i would wish there would be 2-3 different tan stages to choose. Now we only got 1 tan or burn skin and how deep the tan/dark just depends on you're sims skin color
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png