Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Island Living Rating

Comments

• PorkeeCorkeePorkeeCorkee Posts: 9 New Member
    [quote="EnjoyfulSimmer;c-17126458"][quote="pepperjax1230;c-17126090"][quote="EnjoyfulSimmer;c-17125313"]And Im actually being generous with the 6 rating because I couldn't even get to play mermaids since I couldn't edit their form....it just seems glitched. Hope it works today since I uninstalled and re-installed it. [/quote]Just out of curiosity why did you buy the pack? The Sims 4 isn't ever going to be like Sims 3 they are both different games. I am sorry if you aren't getting what you wanted from the pack but I am and others are to. There is things to do and you can't have possibly done everything in the pack to rate it how you did. So yes just curious why you bought it.

[/quote]

I don't need to answer to you on why I bought something.In fact, because you keep doing this thing where you give me attitude over my thoughts, id like if you just stop quoting me altogether. I like some things about it. However, this is a topic to discuss our rating . Myself and a lot of others, also don't feel that this pack is EP material.I feel that Island Living is a nice little addition but that is all.

It's not groundbreaking and its lacking a lot. You shouldn't demand justifications because someone doesn't give this a 10. I own all the Sims 4 packs, because whether it's new clothes or new hair, or even a new piece of decor they all have something. And I like the game, but its far from perfect .

Please stop being disrespectful whenever someone has a criticism. There is lots to go around and rightfully so @pepperjax1230 [/quote]

Nicely done pepperjax. Couldnt help but giggle to ur reply. No one NEEDS to explain why they rate what. We ARE entitled to our own opinions.
    [quote="Sara1010P;c-17126605"]Loving the pack. The mermaids are fantastic. I played Island Paradise in sims 3 and while I loved almost everything about that pack, I never took to the mermaids in it. This time around they just suit me. Not giving it a 10 because I would have liked house boats and resorts. I am not really bothered with no underwater diving, because though it was included in sims 3 it felt more like a novelty than anything else, once I had dived a couple of times it got kinda boring to me. I think it was a good idea, but it didn't keep my attention for long. [/quote]

I also miss the house boats :(
    [quote="Bamajam;c-17124362"]I might be one of the few that is glad there is no hotels or vacation spots. Tourists would ruin the feel in my opinion.[/quote]

Strongly Agree!!
    [quote="Cookingpup99;c-17124584"]For those of you that have get famous too would you rather get this one over that one?[/quote]

Depends on your gameplay prefrences. I play each pack as a standalone to get the most out of it but if i HAD to choose it would be get famous. There are Alot of dissapointments for me in island living vs sims 3 island paradise
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Not voting as such since I don't have it. What I've been reading on the forums about bugs, features not working, and breakages to things that used to work is less than encouraging. Looking at the preview that shows up on the game launch streen shows CAS & B/B content that is largely just a re-color of what we already have. Looking at the pictures there, and elsewhere in the forums, the visuals all fairly scream, 'tourist trap', what some Madison Avenue marketing guy thinks is an 'island look'. Way things are going I'll be generous and say 2. For now.
    I thought and hoped that island living would be closely related to sims 3 island paradise but I was sadly mistaken :( NO boathouses, NO underwater exploring. Yes island living has alot to offer but i would hav been a perfect 10/10 of you could explore the deep ocean. I know not all feels the same but this is how i feel. A bit dissapointing
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I realised that I hadn't really given any explanation for my rating yet, so here it goes:

Well, in short, I really love the pack!

I am having so much fun with it, I really can't stop playing. I first spent a few hours in B&B and CAS - and in this respect, it's especially impressive. In terms of gameplay, I think there's quite a bit you don't see at first. But what they did give us is, for the most part, very well done. The lot traits, the mermaids (<3), the sim traits, the new activities, the volcano, odd jobs, the overall feel of the world and its people, etc. are all great. The conservationist career seemed weird to me at first, but it's actually relatively relaxing and, somehow, I really did end up caring about how "dirty" Sulani is xD So, so far, all my Sims want to help fixing it (both the sea loving mermaid, her daughter and Makoa, as well as the tribesmen- and women). It's just overall really relaxing and fun. And addictive 😂

But there are omissions. Personally, I wouldn't want there to be lots of tourists in Sulani from other worlds (especially not famous ones). I like that most of the sims I see there are from that area (with a few exceptions). I appreciate that. But the option to buy a second home, and to be at least a semi-permanent resident of Sulani would have been cool. Because what if I wanted to make a writer sim who loves the culture and nature of Sulani, but only lives there during the summer months? Or a sim that would like to buy her late parent's place to keep it in the family? Or a sim who just likes to own a vacation home? 😄 I mean, it's just a nice feature to have and I don't see why they can't implement it using a similar mechanic to the one they already have for retail stores. I also miss group activities (I'm glad sims can build sand castles together, but having two sims on the boat or playing volleyball or tag together on the beach would have been great).

Now, for me, I still find it an incredibly fun pack, despite those omissions. I've been having such a blast lately playing this game with mostly larger groups of sims (a military, a supernatural orphanage and a fishermen tribe all together in one save? Hell yes 😂). And Island Living adds a lot of new, fun storytelling potential that you can go a lot of ways with. Which is why I give it an 8. But: island life (not island vacations), environmentalism and mermaids kind of have to be your thing for this to appeal to you. If it's vacationing and doing standard free time activities only that you want form a tropical pack, basically "Paradise", I don't think this is that. It really is the "Living" there that's fun here.
    edited June 2019
    [quote="CAF84;c-17126653"]Personally, I haven’t been enormously inspired by this pack. The world is stunning, so so stunning, and I love the new feel it gives to the game. I have loved building in this pack. The attention to detail is just getting better and better. However, it does feel like there aren’t enough new objects and the attention to detail has meant fewer new objects. I have been building with only island living checked off and I find there are so many items missing (i.e. kitchen island units to match the new counters, any furniture matching the new bar - which is amazing, but I want to extend it, nothing comes even close -, more living furniture in the same theme, like a bookcase or hutch etc.). My biggest rub is that there aren’t more decor items. Wall wise, my builds are looking so samey with the same wall decors everywhere. It feels like it is a toss up between attention to detail and quantity and this time around the balance has been in favour of quality.

In terms of gameplay, I am not as engaged with this pack as I have been with previous ones. And after an hour or so, my attention was waning. I am missing the introduction of a game-changing new gameplay feature. It feels like we haven’t got one this time around. It honestly has more of a game pack feel to it (though even Jungle Adventure had a new gameplay feature that drew me in). I am not interested in occults or other life forms, so haven’t explored (and probably won’t explore) mermaids, but it feels like the other things to do are quite small and the pack is reliant on the beautiful world as its main draw. I definitely don’t feel like this has as many new things to do as an expansion pack should.

I had very high hopes after the pack leaked, then felt a bit concerned after the announcement because I couldn’t see any new big features and now it has released, I feel disappointed that there isn’t a new major aspect of the game to explore (just smaller things that aren’t all that attention-keeping for me).

I will definitely give it more of a chance before I fully make my mind up, but yesterday evening, after only playing a little bit, I got bored and started doing other things as I played. Never a good sign. [/quote]

I agree. Feels more like game pack than expansion. Also got bored and now im back playing my other saved games. Very dissapointing

[quote="PorkeeCorkee;c-17128237"]I would've liked if you could travel to work with yor sim [/quote]

[quote="PorkeeCorkee;c-17128250"]I bought seasons alongside island living and im enjoying seasons more. A tad dissapointted in island living. Wish it was more like sims 3 island paradise :([/quote]

[Edited your other posts in here as quotes ~Rtas]
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    edited June 2019
    This is by far one of my most favorite Sims 4 DLC packs. I love the whole tropical ocean vibe this pack gives you, and I love all the build mode and cas items! But I am a bit disappointed that there aren't house boats or hotels. But I'm having a lot of fun with this pack nonetheless! Now I'm going to be playing a lot more Sims 4. This pack just freshens up the game for me!
    Proud simmer
  • kpeekkpeek Posts: 5 New Member
    Hoping I can get the pack soon and rate it (:
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    And Im actually being generous with the 6 rating because I couldn't even get to play mermaids since I couldn't edit their form....it just seems glitched. Hope it works today since I uninstalled and re-installed it.
    Just out of curiosity why did you buy the pack? The Sims 4 isn't ever going to be like Sims 3 they are both different games. I am sorry if you aren't getting what you wanted from the pack but I am and others are to. There is things to do and you can't have possibly done everything in the pack to rate it how you did. So yes just curious why you bought it.

I don't need to answer to you on why I bought something.In fact, because you keep doing this thing where you give me attitude over my thoughts, id like if you just stop quoting me altogether. I like some things about it. However, this is a topic to discuss our rating . Myself and a lot of others, also don't feel that this pack is EP material.I feel that Island Living is a nice little addition but that is all.

It's not groundbreaking and its lacking a lot. You shouldn't demand justifications because someone doesn't give this a 10. I own all the Sims 4 packs, because whether it's new clothes or new hair, or even a new piece of decor they all have something. And I like the game, but its far from perfect .

Please stop being disrespectful whenever someone has a criticism. There is lots to go around and rightfully so @pepperjax1230

Nicely done pepperjax. Couldnt help but giggle to ur reply. No one NEEDS to explain why they rate what. We ARE entitled to our own opinions.
    I never said I was needed an explanation why they rated it the way they did. I said I was curious why they rated it the way they did opinions are opinions no matter how you look at it and this is a post on rating the game so I am allowed to ask why the rating it wasn't off topic.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    They added satin bonnets for sims. Nuff said.

Satin bonnets!? That right there gets an immediate score of 8 from me and I dont even have the pack.
    Yes, when I saw them I screamed with delight. All my black sims have had their nightwear updated. <3

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I like it. But it is Sims 4 to the core. If you love Sims 4, you'll love the pack as there's a lot to love about it. I think it's pretty shallow compared to previous iterations, but that probably is Sims 4 being Sims 4!
  • GumbyGumby Posts: 46 Member
    I was kind of expecting an underwater lot kind of like in the sims 3 but I still vote a 10 for this EP. It's my favorite EP so far. I've played it for hours.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    I was lucky I got IL in a bundle, so it was only $30 (au, so around $20 american??), as it's definitely not worth full price. The world, CAS and BB are gorgeous, and it's nice to finally see some more clothing options for toddlers (though imo, an expansion should also include some toddler gameplay items), but in terms of new things your sim can do, there's very little there. Even lower rated expansions such as City Living (it's my 2nd favourite actually, but I know some simmers didn't like it :) - fair enough) have much more for your sims to do, especially outside of the worlds they come with.

In IL, there's a lot of re-used/same activities and animations (swings were in seasons, the lounge chair is base-game now) and rabbit holes. The mermaids are nice, but nowhere near as involved as vampires. From the looks of some of the promo images, I thought I would be able to at least move the camera view under the surface of the water when my mersim was swimming, and collect or click on the coral and fish floating around, but I couldn't, which made swimming very boring (and just like the base-game). The neighborhood I was in, while open-water, was tiny, so even with a jetski or boat, I couldn't make my sim go anywhere interesting.

If the devs manage to code swimming and sand in all worlds for IL players, that will raise my rating a little bit, but overall, I am disappointed about the lack of actual gameplay content as opposed to set dressing. It feels more like a tropical getaway GP with a mermaids SP tacked on. At least I will be able to make some nicer off grid homes now though :).
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    I was lucky I got IL in a bundle, so it was only $30 (au, so around $20 american??), as it's definitely not worth full price. The world, CAS and BB are gorgeous, and it's nice to finally see some more clothing options for toddlers (though imo, an expansion should also include some toddler gameplay items), but in terms of new things your sim can do, there's very little there. Even lower rated expansions such as City Living (it's my 2nd favourite actually, but I know some simmers didn't like it :) - fair enough) have much more for your sims to do, especially outside of the worlds they come with.

In IL, there's a lot of re-used/same activities and animations (swings were in seasons, the lounge chair is base-game now) and rabbit holes. The mermaids are nice, but nowhere near as involved as vampires. From the looks of some of the promo images, I thought I would be able to at least move the camera view under the surface of the water when my mersim was swimming, and collect or click on the coral and fish floating around, but I couldn't, which made swimming very boring (and just like the base-game). The neighborhood I was in, while open-water, was tiny, so even with a jetski or boat, I couldn't make my sim go anywhere interesting.

If the devs manage to code swimming and sand in all worlds for IL players, that will raise my rating a little bit, but overall, I am disappointed about the lack of actual gameplay content as opposed to set dressing. It feels more like a tropical getaway GP with a mermaids SP tacked on. At least I will be able to make some nicer off grid homes now though :).

City Living is my favorite pack, and while I was so hyped for the release and gave it a 7 upon first few moments of gameplay, I 100% agree with everything you said, @silentcyborg.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    And Im actually being generous with the 6 rating because I couldn't even get to play mermaids since I couldn't edit their form....it just seems glitched. Hope it works today since I uninstalled and re-installed it.
    Just out of curiosity why did you buy the pack? The Sims 4 isn't ever going to be like Sims 3 they are both different games. I am sorry if you aren't getting what you wanted from the pack but I am and others are to. There is things to do and you can't have possibly done everything in the pack to rate it how you did. So yes just curious why you bought it.

Please stop being disrespectful whenever someone has a criticism. There is lots to go around and rightfully so @pepperjax1230

I never said I was needed an explanation why they rated it the way they did. I said I was curious why they rated it the way they did opinions are opinions no matter how you look at it and this is a post on rating the game so I am allowed to ask why the rating it wasn't off topic.

Yeah, but you shouldn't be acting so surprised and asking for answers over a rating. As more roll in you will see a lot less "10s" and 9's and some less pleased reviews.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Yeah, but you shouldn't be acting so surprised and asking for answers over a rating. As more roll in you will see a lot less "10s" and 9's and some less pleased reviews.
    No game in the sims series is going to be perfect and appeal to everyone. This is a rating post I was asking why because I was genuinely curious ok. That is it if you are offended that’s fine you don’t have to feel like you have to tell anyone it was just curiosity. So no worries.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    If we were able to run resorts I'd give it a 10
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Was torn between 9 and 10 but there is one or two very minor issues that make it so I can't say it's perfect which is what I would consider a 10. But I would have been willing to give it a 9.9
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    Pros: The world is absolutely stunning and the build items are too. It's reignited by interest in building because we can make a different kind of lot. Beach houses or huts. Lends really well to living of the land or off the grid. Careers are more fleshed out than we're used too. I'm really enjoying being able to have part time jobs and take on odd jobs. Cas items aren't too bad either. I love mermaids because i'm an occult girl through and through so I will take anything I can get.

Cons: The world is small and the community lots are lacking but this can be fixed with some builds of my own. No special animation when turning into a mermaid just a little back flip in the water. No vacation spots but again I can mod this if I wanted too. No supernatural skin tones for memaids.

Overall i'm finding the pack really enjoyable. It brings another aspect to gameplay for me and is up there with Seasons for me. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I am. I wish the world was bigger but it runs really well on my laptop so I can't complain really. I can't lie, I miss hotels of some description. It would have been cool to have atleast one lot to be a hotel so it could be used as a vacation world if we want too.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

It is a 7 and not a 5 or 6 because aesthetically it couldn't possibly be prettier and more appealing. But it loses the 3 most important points out of 10 because of gameplay (or lack of thereof).

If you'd ask me to rate it in a couple of weeks, I'll probably give it a 6. But the initial hype made me vote for 7.
    I now have a formed opinion of the pack and after the initial hype, I must say there's not much to it.

The world is gorgeous (but small), I love the concept of the island being "alive" and evolving, I love the culture and little festivals. CAS has really pretty items and so does Build/Buy.
    But I feel like that is all.

Mermaids are much closer to aliens than they are to vampires development wise and there's barely anything you can do with them that you can't do with a normal sim. You can't even create havoc by drowning sims around because they just won't die from your mermaid interactions. They can't eat in the water (no raw fish, no kelp, nothing). And the worst part is that they don't have a "habitat". The inability to go underwater for real is very obvious when playing a mermaid. Even aliens have a hidden world that they can visit! Mermaids have nothing. It was a big mistake, in my opinion, not to give mermaids a habitat. If making going underwater anywhere was not a possibility, at least they should have made a special mermaid lot. The cave that is just a rabbit hole should have been a hidden lot where mermaids hang out, a lot they can call home.
    So, I wonder, if mermaid didn't get much to do or any special place to go, what was the trade off?
    Sims themselves don't have much to do either and most gameplay is small or very niche. There's no feature in this pack that changes anything in the game. No new system of any kind.

There's also the issue that Sulani feels very isolated from the rest of the residential worlds and it is just weird to me to travel with a Sulani sim to Windenburg just for visiting a park or having a beer. Therefore, I feel like I'm stuck in Sulani unless I pretend they go on holiday to visit other worlds.

I am struggling to see how Island Living is an EP and not a GP. I just can't really justify it.
    You can tell a lot of love and attention went into making it but it just feels...empty.

Some things that could have made the pack feel fuller:
    - It could have more fleshed out mermaids and and underwater neighbourhood or at the very least and underwater hidden lot
    - Maybe they could have gone the hotel route as many wanted and add a new hotel system for sims to stay or for sims to manage
    - They could have made all the new careers in the pack interactive like the conservationist one
    - Make a larger world with more neighbourhoods to explore
    - Add a feature/system that would make sense to use in other worlds

It is a shame, and I do love many aspects in the pack. I know I will be playing a bunch there and specially I will be building a lot there and creating sims. But it doesn't feel like a full EP.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • SimmersopinionSimmersopinion Posts: 4 New Member
    I give it a zero it is very slow and laggy. And even whith and whith out mods me and cousin are deleting it until there is an update.so dont get your hopes up befor you download it.
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited June 2019
    Soooo first impressions... honestly...as critical as I am of TS4 I am REALLY enjoying this pack. The world is beautiful, the beaches are always alive and populated with townies, the mermaids have some really neat customization options. It doesn't hold a candle to Island Paradise but I've still had a great time playing.

But...I do have to agree with other players (including Game Changers) who have said that it feels more like a game pack than an expansion. Outside of this island world, there really isn't much to expand on the overall Sims experience. And I do really miss houseboats and boating in general being a group activity. The complete and utter laziness of the lounge chairs makes it lose some points for me too.

Overall, this pack is a lot of fun. It is one of the better TS4 expansions (the best still being Get Famous) but still feels kinda...lacking.

This pack should have been a 9 or a 10. But it just feels too much like the poor man's Island Paradise for me to give it anything higher than a 7 and even then I still feel like I'm being generous. There are just sooo many little things that add up and keep it from being perfect (story of TS4's life, at this point). Which makes the fact that it was so close all the more frustrating.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    10/10!
    Bye-Bye San Myshuno as my favorite world, Hello Sulani! :p
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif