Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do they really ‘listen’?

Comments

• Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2019
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    I mean, they have to listen to some things to gather ideas for new packs and figure out what needs to be patched (sometimes, at least...), they just listen selectively. as @Shayminnasakura says, the amount of content from 2-3-4 steadily goes down and down as EA tests the waters of what they can get away with cutting from the game and cutting corners when adding content before just enough people complain that they can no longer ignore it (ballpits anyone?).

Sims 2 Nightlife (£7.83 on Amazon)
    - 125 New Objects
    - Dating System (Chemistry)
    - Bowling
    - Vampires
    - Cars
    - Restaurants
    - DJ Booth
    - Karaoke Machine

Sims 4
    - No Chemistry System
    - Bowling cut to one pack (Bowling Night Stuff £9.99)
    - Vampires cut to one pack (Vampires £17.99)
    - Cars don't exist
    - Restaurants cut to one pack (Dine Out £17.99)
    - DJ Booth in separate pack (Get Together £34.99)
    - Karaoke Machine in separate pack (City Living £34.99)

7.83 today you mean though, right? I don't think that's exactly comparable since no TS2 EP still costs a lot and proving you own one gets you the entire remaining collection for free from Origin :joy:

Not saying TS2 wasn't awesome, it was, it's just not fair comparing today's price of a nearly 15-year-old expansion to the price of an EP released today.

The point is how Maxis will split up content into as many packs as possible in order to make the most money, whereas in the past packs were a lot more considerable in scope. Getting the same features requires you to buy more and more with each iteration. This is the sort of thing that gives EA its well deserved reputation.

Nightlife was around £25 when it first came out.

The Sims 2 Complete Collection is no longer available either. It ended in 2018.
    Post edited by PrincipleOfEntropy on
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I mean, they have to listen to some things to gather ideas for new packs and figure out what needs to be patched (sometimes, at least...), they just listen selectively. as @Shayminnasakura says, the amount of content from 2-3-4 steadily goes down and down as EA tests the waters of what they can get away with cutting from the game and cutting corners when adding content before just enough people complain that they can no longer ignore it (ballpits anyone?).

- 125 New Objects
    - Bowling
    - Vampires
    - Cars
    - Restaurants
    - DJ Booth
    - Karaoke Machine

Sims 4
    - No Chemistry System
    - Cars don't exist

7.83 today you mean though, right? I don't think that's exactly comparable since no TS2 EP still costs a lot and proving you own one gets you the entire remaining collection for free from Origin :joy:

Not saying TS2 wasn't awesome, it was, it's just not fair comparing today's price of a nearly 15-year-old expansion to the price of an EP released today.

The point is how Maxis will split up content into as many packs as possible in order to make the most money, whereas in the past packs were a lot more considerable in scope. Getting the same features requires you to buy more and more with each iteration. This is the sort of thing that gives EA its well deserved reputation.

Yeah I got the point, just wanted to put that 7 in perspective. Idem 25: all games cost more today, and development has become more complex.

I'm not disagreeing that TS2 EPs tended to be larger in scope though :)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member

- 125 New Objects
    - Bowling
    - Vampires
    - Cars
    - Restaurants
    - DJ Booth
    - Karaoke Machine

Sims 4
    - No Chemistry System
    - Cars don't exist

They did the same thing (and worse) in Sims 3. Some features were locked behind the store and made players have to buy more Sim Points than they needed, therefore spending even more money just to get a single feature that they wanted. However, many Sims 3 players felt that expansions had enough in them to make up for what was "missing", and that's the difference.

The thing is though, that people are expecting a pack from one iteration to carry over and be an exact replica into the next. To claim that content was "split up" means that the packs in question were intended to have the same exact features in the first place. Spoiler alert: they weren't. I don't know why people can't get past this. There is no standard that says X, Y, and Z items must be included in a pack of a similar theme, or that a theme must replicate from a previous game.

This doesn't mean, however, that a new pack or new theme isn't lacking in something, of course, or that it doesn't fall flat in some areas. But packs need to be judged on what they are actually trying to accomplish individually for the intended game and its needs, not for a checklist of what came before in a pack that was similar.

For example, in this new expansion, we got deep sea diving and a lifeguard career, but both are rabbit holes. Some people are upset by that because they've been waiting for a pack that revolves around swimming and going into the ocean, and wanted more underwater gameplay. This is an understandable complaint because this pack was intended to bring ocean gameplay to Sims 4, and ocean swimming is a brand new feature to this iteration. However, the pack is also bringing a new, playable life state, Mermaids. Many people have been requesting more playable Supernaturals in general and many others have been requesting Mermaids specifically. These Mermaids have a lot of CAS options and come with special powers as well as the ability to morph into Sims and be playable on land. So for some players, there might be a lot of value in this pack, because Mermaids didn't even exist in Sims 2 and weren't up to par in Sims 3. Then again, without deep sea gameplay, some might find that they still fall flat.

So it's not about what a pack had in it before, it's about what a pack can offer now, what new features it brings to enhance the current game, and what player needs it fulfills.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yes - they do - but they cannot always make everything the people want either. No game devs can...

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    No, they can't make everything people want and being an game player of many franchises know that but what you can do with what you can do is bring the best and not come half stepping, for to me EA/Maxis is doing just that. Why settle for less when you can play the best.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    filipomel wrote: »

I'm quite optimistic for a Sims 5 if one were to ever be made. One thing I can say for certain about Sims 4, is that it was an excellent learning experience for the team, and it's going to continue to be a learning tool for the team until they cease development. With that being said, I believe they will apply a lot of what they have learned when/if they make the Sims 5, a perfectly balanced sims game with features that will satisify all player types. Fingers crossed!

I used to think as you do. However, five years of watching how TS4 has developed, I've given up any hope that TS5 will expand upon and improve the concepts of the previous games. Just like TS4, I expect the developers to pick a few key things to embellish. Everything else will be the bare minimum that should be expected from a series that's nearly two decades old.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Next one is onlne - read about The Atlas SEED Project.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

If it's going to be online they'd better look into making it higher than T- teen. I was pretty innocent when I started playing The Sims Online being an adult at the time. Little did I know ...
  • Options
    ApocNizmithApocNizmith Posts: 13 New Member
    I legit just joined the community, but my only beef is AAA game costing dlc. For real for teh cost of 1 expansion I could buy 2-3 games off steam during a sale or g2a every day of the week. 40 dollars for dlc is NEVER EVER EVER going to happen for me personally, that is just outrageous.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    I will never pay and play an online The Sims version.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    The area that the Sims can explore around their homes is getting much larger. I started noticing this in Brindleton Bay but in Island Living my Sim who was living in an Off the grid lot could swim out to the neighbouring island where there were pineapple to harvest and a public toilet to use and lots of room to walk around and meet people and the sea area is large too. He didn't get a loading screen doing this but did get one on going home.

I had been wanting larger exploration areas since Sims4 started.
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »

+ 1
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited June 2019
    rjssim wrote: »

+ 1

+1

Surely they can't be so incredibly st­upid as to try that again?

Well, if they do make The Sims multiplayer again, I guess we'll have a definitive answer as to the OP's question.

And that answer will be a resounding "NO!".
    raw
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

+ 1

Same. I will not play the Sims 5 online with other people. I don't want other players being present, let alone have any kind of tangible effect, on my Sims or their worlds. If the next game is online, I'm out xD
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »

+ 1

+1

Surely they can't be so incredibly st­upid as to try that again?

Well, if they do make The Sims multiplayer again, I guess we'll have a definitive answer as to the OP's question.

And that answer will be a resounding "NO!".

Even Will himself called EA out for the disastrous launch a certain other online simulation game had.

"It was kind of like, 'EA is the evil empire, there was a lot of 'Let's bash EA over it. That was basically inexcusable, that you charge somebody $60 for a game and they can't play it. I can understand the outrage. If I was a consumer buying the game and that happened to me, I'd feel the same."

https://gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-04-will-wright-games-falling-way-short-as-a-medium
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member

+ 1

Same. I will not play the Sims 5 online with other people. I don't want other players being present, let alone have any kind of tangible effect, on my Sims or their worlds. If the next game is online, I'm out xD

Exactly, SimTrippy. The Sims is about spending time with the sims themselves, enjoying the single player experience, or even story telling. Maybe having the *option* to play with a friend or two would be fine, but a MMORPG-like TS5... no thanks. It would just make the game less personal. There are plenty of other games out there for the online purpose of interacting with others.
  • Options
    I once upon an time was for online but now not so much as I do not play other games that has online only and no SP. Another thing when these online games go dark you lose as you can't play and I am not too much into subscription type games as well. So an online version for me is an no go.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

Well that is one to skip on purpose. Every survey from EA or the sims team, I mention that I want an offline-only experience for my game.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I wouldn't care if they did multiplayer if it was done in addition to the Sims 5, and kept Sims 5 built specifically as a single player. They could probably reuse the Sims 4's engine for multiplayer and build us a better Sims single player from an appropriate engine that's actually made for simulation. I just don't want another repeat of shallow personalities, inability to alter the world environments, and Sims gravitating to objects over group interactions, which all are most likely the result of being run on an engine built for multiplayer. The Sims 4 definitely fights against the player and sometimes it seems like its intuition is to do the opposite of what a "normal" Sims game would do.

I sincerely hope that all of this feedback throughout Sims 4's lifespan has been taken into consideration by the company because we really need the heart and soul of our game back.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    From this article:
    "At EA, we envision a future in which games go even further beyond the immersive experiences players enjoy today," Moss said. "I'm talking about games that offer living, breathing worlds that constantly evolve. You'll play them one day, and when you come back the next, things have changed based on inputs from other players, AI, and even the real world. These new experiences will lead to deep, meaningful social interactions. The games you play, the characters you create, and the experiences you have together will create shared ground for friendships that span the globe. I believe this is a future where games become the most compelling form of entertainment. You will be able to play games with your friends anytime, anywhere, and on any device."

If this is the way Sims 5 goes they haven't been listening at all. Nor learning from history. Why in the world would I want a game in which I want to control everything to be altered by player input and changing every time I come back. Also, I come here to socialize with other simmers. I don't want you all in my game, no offense. :tongue:

I also want an offline only experience. Preferably I don't want to deal with Origin at all, let alone whatever they're cooking up currently. But I do think those who want to should have the option to like I should have the option not to. Better yet, make it two different games. The Sims Online 2 can use Atlas and The Sims 5 can be offline single player sandbox.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2019
    I wonder about something -- the Sims Online was really gross; most multiplayer games, especially ones where you can roleplay, are. Sims Online was far worse than most, though. I wonder if they'll only have limited chat if they make Sims 5 more of an MMO. I honestly cannot see, when you are forcing interaction with other people, controlling the ick factor while allowing for open chat.

Edit: I think the Sims team needs to take a long, hard look at Second Life and ask themselves if that's really what they want to make the Sims.
  • Options
    EA/Maxis is following the leader as more and more online programs are popping up and they think that this is the time to get on board. I hate to be online when the bubble burst that's for sure.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2019

That will honestly be the end of the series. But I cannot find anything about such project.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    navystylznavystylz Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Godleyjeans said:
    > Hold your rants and negativity! This isn’t an attack against th Gurus and EA, as angry and upset as I am with the recent Maxis Monthly, I’m here to ask what’s on everyone’s mind following the news of a new career and packs on the way to the sims 4.
    >
    > For years, since the games release, we have asked for so much and as much as I respect and understand the team only have so little time on their hands...where is the content we actually asked for? Where is the content we actually need?
    >
    > The sims 4 is 4 years old just about....babies are still objects.
    >
    > We still lack firefighters and police and burglars! We lack story progression and cars and decent services and jobs....
    >
    > Do you see what I’m saying?
    >
    > They listen....but do they LISTEN?
    >
    > Are they giving us what we want or what THEY WANT?
    >
    > Toddlers only appeared after constant backlash.
    >
    > We have had to fight for a shelf!
    >
    > We have had to fight for so much and what we received in return was so lacking it felt more like a middle finger than actual content!
    >
    > Vampires...that’s all I’m gonna say because what else is there to say?
    >
    > Again! They’re working, day in, day out, having to deal with us, their employers, their own personal lives and so much more.
    >
    > But! Their job is to deliver content.
    >
    > They are paid to release and create quality content for a game many of us have invested hundreds of pounds on.
    >
    > Yet, we receive content so lacklustre and poor, they might as well have thrown us a cheap looking toaster that constantly catches fire.
    >
    > I am not here to hate the gurus or insult the company, or the sims itself.
    >
    > But what happened to the sims? What happened to lead us here?
    >
    > Why do we have to come here and demand quality content as well as content which actually makes a difference to our games! Nobody wants the same stuff, I understand that very well.
    >
    > But when we receive content, do not deny that a good amount is incredibly lacking!
    >
    >
    > I am going to leave this here for you to continue on via the comments.
    >
    > At this moment I am utterly let down and seething that nothing I say feels enough to express my outrage and hurt.
    > I have been a simmer since I could just about walk, blame my dad (biggest financial mistake he ever made), and having been there for the rise and fall....I just...need to put this out there and hope someone at the company listens.
    >
    > All I want is someone to reach out and say “hey we’re currently doing this, no idea when it’s going to be finished but it’s coming so don’t worry”
    >
    > I would happily wait another two years for story progression or burglars or even free mobile babies.
    >
    > I would simply appreciate being kept in the loop and knowing that someone is hearing us and actively listening.
    >
    > My apologies for rocking the boat, however things like this need to be said sometimes,
    >
    > I’m gonna go, have a nice day and keep simming.
    >
    > Sul Sul

We don't need every single little thing that was in previous Sims. Would love to just get new stuff that isn't just sims 4 X reskinned for the sims 4. Especially when stuff in Sims 4 comes out incomplete, and lackluster compared to the sims 3 versions in many respects.
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Nazgune wrote: »
    I just joined the community, so I don't really know what you guys have been asking so far. I know that they did add a few free nice things since the game came out, like more roof shapes and the new foundation mechanic.

About paying content, I just wish things were a bit cheaper. I really wish I could have more of the packs but it's just too expensive.
    There have been a few this over the years somethings have been done others not here is a small list of some of the biggest:

1. Toddlers (done)
    2. Free the babies
    3. Open world
    4. Occults(ongoing)
    5. Education
    6. Disability
    7. Sims 5

That’s just a small list there have been a lot more but you get the basic idea.