Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the grid items (confused)

Comments

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I guess the only other option would be to sell and replace the washtub every time you use it, which would be a pain. Hopefully that's something they will address long-term. The moodlet makes me think otherwise, but I can't imagine the thought process for NOT making the washtub and clothes line off-the-grid friendly.

Of course, if it were me making the lot trait, I would also have (a) made baths possible instead of showers, because they waste less water, (b) I would definitely have added a composting toilet, and (c) adding a functioning well would make a lot of sense, too. Or at least a water pump, which I seem to recall having in TS2 (although I suppose that might have been a mod).

I was planning to use this trait for a few of my existing households. But as it is, I will probably not use the trait, and just continue to act as though I have it, in the way that makes most sense to me.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    It seems counterintuitive that a fridge can work off the grid... What the heck is it running on?!
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited June 2019
    They need to go back through th BB catalog and revamp what works and what doesn't. Because a lot of it doesn't make sense. Like this video points out.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXWnvRif_4
  • LairaLaira Posts: 39 Member
    It seems counterintuitive that a fridge can work off the grid... What the heck is it running on?!

A fridge can run on gas.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Laira wrote: »

A fridge can run on gas.

I guess... but still seems to go against the whole ethos of living off the grid :D Oh well
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Laira wrote: »

A fridge can run on gas.

I guess... but still seems to go against the whole ethos of living off the grid :D Oh well

Fridges can also be kept cold with ice, which is something one could quite easily do off the grid, I think.
    I don't have a problem with the idea of a low-quality/low-energy fridge, particularly if you have solar panels. My issue is more with some of the things that don't work relative to the things that do.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Moving this one to the General Discussion section as this lot trait is available for the base game :smile:
  • Rasia SilverRasia Silver Posts: 101 Member
    Someone might want to let the girl in the video know that she needs to turn on her earbuds before she can listen to them. I made the same mistake lol.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Has anyone figured out how to wash a dog off the grid? My dog got skunked. :s
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Caitie85Caitie85 Posts: 156 Member
    The Off-The-Grid lot trait was a really great addition to the game, but it feels incomplete. It needs to be accompanied by more options in my opinion. Not hooked up to the municipal water service? Great. So give us a pump that our sims can use to wash hands and dishes and fill a bathtub and other similar things, like you do when you're camping. Give us an outhouse that we can use. Or give us a well object that we can put on our lot and suddenly all plumbing objects work. Electricity is fine, except why don't our cell phones work? Because we can't plug them up to recharge without electricity? Except that cell phones in the Sims games are magical objects that always work, no matter where you are, and never need recharging. These are all concerns that I have beyond all the bugs. It just feels like a great idea that wasn't executed well.
    Kickin' back in Sulani.
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    I wish the IceBOX Vintage Refrigerator worked Off-the-grid and, also, the Auld Crow Woodburning stove states it works off the grid, but all options for it are greyed out... anyone else have this issue?
  • ApocNizmithApocNizmith Posts: 13 New Member
    > @Simsandra said:
    > I am sad that the washtub for the clothes does not work, you can not change the water 😑
    > I really wanted my off the grid sims to wash laundry by hand.
    >
    > But the cheapest fridge, oven, shower, toilet and sink work on the lot. Also this old fashioned looking items.

The crafted wooden toilets do work as well.
  • ApocNizmithApocNizmith Posts: 13 New Member
    > @loubyloulou said:
    > It seems counterintuitive that a fridge can work off the grid... What the heck is it running on?!

The ICEBox vintage fridge should work off the grid. There are several items in the game that require electricity that just shouldn't IMO. It also bugs me that the woodburning stove can't cook anything but grilled cheese and eggs and toast. I live in a hme where we have agas oven and a wood burning stove in real life, and you can make anything you could make on a electric range on either. Not to mention Pizza from a wood fired oven is 10000x more tasty XD!
  • marinapjanic80marinapjanic80 Posts: 1 New Member
    I got a toilet from vampires, that is functional off the grid, and my pregnant sim vomited, and now there is no way to clean it...
    Very frustrating
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Eugh I just posted somewhere else about how the off grid aspect feels kinda last minute, and this just confirms it! I’m waiting for it to come out on console but all I’m seeing is people complaining at the apparent lack of thought that went into this feature. Hence me guessing it was added last minute.

Like the whole pack kinda feels like half baked elements ngl, obviously off grid isn’t integrated with all the other packs that have off grid style items, (and there aren’t many added in this pack), the mermaids are cute for CAS but that’s about it, where is the mermaid neighbourhood? What happened to scuba diving? Is there a botched underwater neighbourhood somewhere they couldn’t release with this pack for some reason? Is the promo art intentionally that misleading? In my head the same thing happened with get famous, which is why the map is so small. I reckon there must have been another neighbourhood that didn’t make it. Maybe one on the left side of the map by the coast with a beach, or downtown with apartments (obviously it’s LA inspired)? I dunno lol maybe Del Sol was always gonna be small?

I hate to complain as I do enjoy sims 4, and I Defo will be getting this pack on release for console and I’m sure I will still love it. It’s just I’ve been waiting for off grid since it was brought up in that stuff pack collab they did wayy back (laundry day), they’ve teased about it multiple times since too, and like I said it just feels a little half baked. Thank the lord for patches lol
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I don't understand why they made some obvious electrical and plumbed items work.

I know someone said fridges can work off gas, but to me they shouldn't be allowed! And showers and sinks... We should have been given a bathtub that a sim could fill by hand (brrr... cold bath unless you heated the water over a fire). And we should definitely be allowed to wash laundry by hand.

A working well would have been fantastic! Or a water pump, which someone mentioned earlier. I remember a gorgeous deco water pump in TS3, something like that would have been perfect. And it would have been fab to have some sort of pump shower set up in a tree!

I had my sim living on Key Point in just a tent. She had a pee bush, the candles in the glass bottles, I had to give her the wooden shower thing, (which I was disappointed about) and she had a campfire for cooking. Those were the only things she had lol. But I would have liked to have given her the laundry tub and clothes line, those would have been great additions.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I was annoyed when I saw what items work with off the grid. an OVEN? Sink?? Really? How? And then no working tub for laundry.. What the ****
    I wish they would just give us new objects that would make sense to be used without automatic flowing water or electricity off the wall. An outside old fashioned oven would have been a lot better then just flagging already existing items that do not look very off grid to me.
    Or a shower with a bottle as if it was man made would also been a lot nicer. They got to work a little harder on these things. The sims is not about easy solutions. You can't sell this to us.

What about the old 1700s shower boxes? Apparently they worked by stringing up a bucket of water and tipping it over onto yourself, probably via rope or something. Also, there was a shower made in 1767 that used a hand pump.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited June 2019
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I guess the only other option would be to sell and replace the washtub every time you use it, which would be a pain. Hopefully that's something they will address long-term. The moodlet makes me think otherwise, but I can't imagine the thought process for NOT making the washtub and clothes line off-the-grid friendly.

Of course, if it were me making the lot trait, I would also have (a) made baths possible instead of showers, because they waste less water, (b) I would definitely have added a composting toilet, and (c) adding a functioning well would make a lot of sense, too. Or at least a water pump, which I seem to recall having in TS2 (although I suppose that might have been a mod).

I was planning to use this trait for a few of my existing households. But as it is, I will probably not use the trait, and just continue to act as though I have it, in the way that makes most sense to me.

Yes, they should have made a functioning well, a way to buy gas and wood for appliances if they take it, propane tanks that run out and you need to refill, and a composting toilet for off the grid lots. That way if you want a refrigerator, you can use it. But, pay something for it’s use.
    I continue to shake my head over baths v. showers. I mean, for those who are doing retro builds or challenges, think about it: What did people use hundreds of years ago? Baths*, or showers? I think we all know the answer to this.

(Ok, maybe they didn't take a LOT of baths... but it was at least an occasional option. :D )
  • artistichippie2009artistichippie2009 Posts: 115 Member
    I could see the off the grid trait possibly getting a game or stuff pack with it in the future, just of other items you can get that would/could work with the off the grid expansion. I say game/stuff pack because there is for sure diffrent game changing things they could add, ie chopping would,
    I continue to shake my head over baths v. showers. I mean, for those who are doing retro builds or challenges, think about it: What did people use hundreds of years ago? Baths*, or showers? I think we all know the answer to this.

(Ok, maybe they didn't take a LOT of baths... but it was at least an occasional option. :D )

Both. Both is good.
    edited June 2019

Both. Both is good.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind them including showers. Heck, in real life, I own a camping shower that requires zero plumbing: you just fill the water bottle, let it warm in the sun, and then, voila, plumbing-free shower. Perfectly off-the-grid.

I'm just saying, if you HAD to choose between the two, it makes absolutely no sense to include showers but not baths, which is what they did.

ETA: and my other point was that historically speaking, people did NOT have showers in the past. They did have baths. So obviously plumbing is in no way necessary for baths.