Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spliced plants are awful now.

I'll start by saying I like how gardening is now, I really enjoy that plants all have in-seasons now BUT this new system of "Spliced plants will spawn less often" is awful. I played a gardener sim all the way through Young Adult to Adult and she just grew into an elder. In that time I had 3 spliced plants that should have given me Dragonfruit, 1 for Parsley, and 1 for Bird of Paradise. In her entire lifespan I got 1 or 2 Parsley. My gardener sim couldn't even grow her own cowplant, I had to fish for one! And she did flower arranging and I could never do any Bird of Paradise arrangements. I checked all 5 plants every sim day and there was never a single Dragonfruit or BoP. I completely understand not wanting to spawn like 5 of them every day but this is ridiculous.

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Use the long life span, if you're not already. I haven't played a gardener in a while, but I don't like when it's too easy to get rare things. It's fine for me.
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Use the long life span, if you're not already. I haven't played a gardener in a while, but I don't like when it's too easy to get rare things. It's fine for me.

I mean... it's not any harder...
    It just takes longer. That's not harder.

It just makes splicing less worth doing, since you could instead just use your time to make money to spend on seed packets, since all plants are available from the game's various seed packs.

Might as well just plant the most expensive things to sell for profit to focus on seed packet RNG and ignore splicing exists.
  • Options
    It's harder because you're struggling to get the rarer plants.
  • Options

It's not harder, just less reliable.
    Why should you splice instead of just buying seed packets to skip it?
    Or heck, maybe not even seed packets, some of the Stalls that pop up around the world with Seasons just sell the rarer plants directly.
    Or in the case of a Cowplant Berry, there are other ways to get it, like from Fishing, or exploring Space, or getting promoted to Plant Nerd in the Botanist branch in the Gardener career.

It shouldn't be THIS unreliable. You shouldn't HAVE to play on the Long Lifespan just to have enough time for a spliced plant to produce its spliced harvestable. It needs to be re-rebalanced to bring it more in line with the other methods of acquiring harvestables.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Considering some of the grafting combos need some heavy pre-planning as the plants don't grow at once, the Seasons nerf to grafting was far too much. Since there's some time needed to reach Gardening level 5, it might require at least two full cycles (so up to 56 sim days) just to set up the grafting - which is pretty much full adult lifespan on normal. Thus, if we take into account the first day is no production (the plant needs to grow into harvest), you have pretty much six chances (supposedly around 1:100 rate or worse) per 28 days to get the spliced plant.

Again, considering the lifespan around which the game is tuned, this is just poor design/tuning.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    Chushii58Chushii58 Posts: 49 Member

I play on a slightly longer lifespan than the "normal" setting with MC Command Centre. I shouldn't have to play a long lifespan to accomplish something that is part of the "Freelance Botanist" (growing a cowplant). I'm not saying they shouldn't be rare, but for this one sim the success rate was near 0 minus 1 measly parsley harvest. And I don't have the energy to try to replicate this with a whole other sim lifespan.
  • Options
    Chushii58Chushii58 Posts: 49 Member
    Considering some of the grafting combos need some heavy pre-planning as the plants don't grow at once, the Seasons nerf to grafting was far too much. Since there's some time needed to reach Gardening level 5, it might require at least two full cycles (so up to 56 sim days) just to set up the grafting - which is pretty much full adult lifespan on normal. Thus, if we take into account the first day is no production (the plant needs to grow into harvest), you have pretty much six chances (supposedly around 1:100 rate or worse) per 28 days to get the spliced plant.

Again, considering the lifespan around which the game is tuned, this is just poor design/tuning.

That's a good point as well. I had a decent indoor greenhouse so I rotated everything out with the seasons, so my grafted plants had a chance to spawn literally every day. If I wanted to play purely seasonal based gardening I would be even more frustrated.
  • Options
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Or heck, maybe not even seed packets, some of the Stalls that pop up around the world with Seasons just sell the rarer plants directly.
    Or in the case of a Cowplant Berry, there are other ways to get it, like from Fishing, or exploring Space, or getting promoted to Plant Nerd in the Botanist branch in the Gardener career.

It shouldn't be THIS unreliable. You shouldn't HAVE to play on the Long Lifespan just to have enough time for a spliced plant to produce its spliced harvestable. It needs to be re-rebalanced to bring it more in line with the other methods of acquiring harvestables.

I'd splice because I prefer less-cheaty gameplay whenever possible. Same reason why I send my sims out to shop in stores, rather than going into CAS or Buy mode.

If you think splicing is unreliable, then use the other ways that you mentioned. Problem solved, right? Why should you splice if you don't have patience for it? To each his own, I guess.
  • Options
    Iyasenu wrote: »

I'd splice because I prefer less-cheaty gameplay whenever possible. Same reason why I send my sims out to shop in stores, rather than going into CAS or Buy mode.

If you think splicing is unreliable, then use the other ways that you mentioned. Problem solved, right? Why should you splice if you don't have patience for it? To each his own, I guess.

Cheaty?
    You can make money without motherlode and kaching, ya'know?
    And you can order Seeds from the computer, not just Buy mode.

That's like considering it "cheaty" to go to the grocery store and buy bread.

And it's not a problem of patience, it's a problem of "Hey, my Sim is going to die of old age before these plants I spliced back when they were Young Adults produce their spliced harvest".
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited June 2019
    Check out Carl's website - He actually made mod just for this issue. He discovered that the way the tuning had been set up there was something like a 1 in 200 chance to spawn rares (don't know if it's been changed in the latest patch). That's too low!!! His mod changes it to equal chances for spliced plants. Check out "Spliced Plant Rare Spawn 'Bug Fix' Mod" at: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/mods/
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Check out Carl's website - He actually made mod just for this issue. He discovered that the way the tuning had been set up there was something like a 1 in 200 chance to spawn rares (don't know if it's been changed in the latest patch). That's too low!!! His mod changes it to equal chances for spliced plants. Check out "Spliced Plant Rare Spawn 'Bug Fix' Mod" at: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/mods/

Yeah, it pretty much reverts the changes made to the spawning chances. I use it but downloaded it long ago and forget where exactly it was to link it.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    ApocNizmithApocNizmith Posts: 13 New Member
    > @Chushii58 said:
    > I'll start by saying I like how gardening is now, I really enjoy that plants all have in-seasons now BUT this new system of "Spliced plants will spawn less often" is awful. I played a gardener sim all the way through Young Adult to Adult and she just grew into an elder. In that time I had 3 spliced plants that should have given me Dragonfruit, 1 for Parsley, and 1 for Bird of Paradise. In her entire lifespan I got 1 or 2 Parsley. My gardener sim couldn't even grow her own cowplant, I had to fish for one! And she did flower arranging and I could never do any Bird of Paradise arrangements. I checked all 5 plants every sim day and there was never a single Dragonfruit or BoP. I completely understand not wanting to spawn like 5 of them every day but this is ridiculous.

If you want dragonfruit, plant 20 strawberry bushes and 20 snapdragon, just water them, take cutting from snapdragons and graft to berry bushes. with 20 plants grafted you will get at least 1 dragonfruit every 7 sims days, but all you need is 1. Plant the first harvest from that and now you have 10 dragonfruit plants. Graft just 1 cutting to any perfect plant you have and now you have a money tree. 5 perfect dragonfruit plants provides roughly 65K simolians every day.
    I made that mistake before. Planted 18 planters full and with marketable and super sell I was getting more than a half of a million simolians per day... It's game breaking. I had to just wipe my save and start over.
  • Options
    ApocNizmithApocNizmith Posts: 13 New Member
    > @Chushii58 said:
    > IceyJ wrote: »
    >
    > Use the long life span, if you're not already. I haven't played a gardener in a while, but I don't like when it's too easy to get rare things. It's fine for me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I play on a slightly longer lifespan than the "normal" setting with MC Command Centre. I shouldn't have to play a long lifespan to accomplish something that is part of the "Freelance Botanist" (growing a cowplant). I'm not saying they shouldn't be rare, but for this one sim the success rate was near 0 minus 1 measly parsley harvest. And I don't have the energy to try to replicate this with a whole other sim lifespan.

Just fish for the berry, and boom cow plant.