March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Live Game Play Recording Software -- What Do I Need?

23kels8923kels89 Posts: 804 Member
Hello, Simmers! :)

I am looking into starting a Let's Play channel on YouTube (who isn't?) but I would like some advice on where to start.

I am on Square One right now--I've only got my computer, my games, and my imagination.

With that being said... What setup would y'all recommend?

I would like options with the following software:
  • Audio
  • Recording Live Gameplay
  • Video Editing
I've done some research and have found that many Simmers use AUDACITY and OBS--to name free software.

I have a Windows 10 computer with plenty of space. But I'd like to start out with free or inexpensive software (for budget reasons).

But ANY and EVERY suggestions would be awesome!

Please list your recording software and maybe a link or two on software tutorials.

Thank you & Happy Simming! <3

Find me on the Sims 3
Find me on Origin

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• ItsYukiMeItsYukiMe Posts: 71 Member
    Hey! It's great that your going to start uploading on Youtube, it's a very exciting start.

For myself I don't use free software since I purchased/have a discount through my school (I use Premiere Pro to edit and Action! to record then I use my video camera for my voice audio and face-cam)

But if you are looking for free software OBS would definitely be a great start. I have used streamlabs obs personally but I'm sure that they are similar enough to where you could just use either for recording and not streaming purposes.

As far as OBS tips the one by the Youtube channel TechGumbo is well explained (I can't post links yet since I'm new to the forums)
    Side-tip: if your laptop fan get's too loud you may have to record in 30fps instead of 60 which shouldn't be really noticeable since it's the sims and not a first-person shooter or something.

Let me know if you need help on anything else! Best of luck!
  • 23kels8923kels89 Posts: 804 Member
    Hey @ItsYukiMe ! Thanks for your response! :)

So I've actually started with Audacity (still learning the software) for audio and OBS for recording game play; however, when I start recording with OBS, my game gets real laggy with playback--but it doesn't lag at all when I'm actually playing and recording. There's this encoding overloaded notification that pops up. Do you have any idea how I could get this fixed so that my gameplay and recording are in sync?

Find me on the Sims 3
    Find me on Origin

@23kels89 No problem!

Hmmm, the OBS encoding overload thing might be because either the settings it's recording at are too high and/or your computer might not have enough hardware to encode it properly. Is your computer more on the older side perhaps?

There's this video on Youtube that might help: Best OBS Studio Recording Settings For A Bad PC!! Even Laptops!!! (Works 2019... For now)

in the beginning he changes his screen resolution down to 1280x720 but I would try to keep it at your default if it still works. But if you have to change it then also change the resolution in the sims! So it stays consistent between the two. Also I think you can change the fps in the sims from 60 to 30 and if you change it to 30 in OBS as well that should also help a little.

Hopefully that works!
  • 23kels8923kels89 Posts: 804 Member
    @ItsYukiMe
    My current computer that I'm using now is actually pretty new. About a year old with 1TB. But hey! I've tested out the Action! and let me tell you--it's flawless!

Now, I've downloaded OBS to my laptop to test it out on that (just waiting on the Sims contents to download -- forgot I removed it off that laptop :# ) and I'll see if it still gives me problems. The laptop is several years old now but runs the Sims 4 games smoothly. While waiting on the contents to download, I tested OBS with its recording display. Just moved the cursor around the screen and flipped back and forth on tabs--still got the same encoding error! I tried to decrease some settings but it still came out weird and image was blurry. Not the best software for me, I guess.

But I'm going to do a few more tweaking with OBS and if I still can't get anything right, I'm going to purchase Action! So far it has been the best recording software I have tried thus far! ;)

Find me on the Sims 3
    Find me on Origin

@23kels89
    Awesome! Yeah when I started recording I looked-up up and watched a bunch of reviews of different recording software and Action! is so user friendly.

It's weird that more people don't talk about it honestly. The different modes between game capture/window capture/and recording a specific area are so nice to have. There's plenty of great tutorials on how to set-up Action! for many different things so I'm glad that it worked for you too!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top