The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I can't find my sims whims anymore please help

2...Next

Comments

• hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I played for a awhile with whims off not even realizing they were gone. Then when I turned them back on they actually felt like a huge distraction. They’re gonna stay off in my game for sure.
  • TangledHeart828TangledHeart828 Posts: 57 Member
    edited December 2018
    The title pretty much says it all... my sim is perfectly happy, but she has *no whims* whatsoever. Not even the standard "buy a dishwasher" one! Is this a bug? Is my sim just really unambitious?

*EDIT* Heh heh... didn't know you could deselect "Show Whims" in the options menu, yet somehow I did. Checked the box, and everything is back to normal!
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It's " hidden" now. You can select to show whims in game options.
  • TangledHeart828TangledHeart828 Posts: 57 Member
    Oh, that's like the default? Why? Seems strange.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    The whims don't really add anything and aren't particular or special to any sim or trait. They are points getters for things, that's all. And they don't work. lol. You can own a dishwasher and it will still come up to buy one. It's just busy work.

They hid them because they're a nuisance and an annoyance.

Do you know how many 1x1 pools I bought, threw the sim in and then fenced them off? lol
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    the new tutorial does not teach about whims so I'm afraid they might not do anything with whims anymore
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • BilmoBlampkinsBilmoBlampkins Posts: 226 Member
    I like jazz
  • WholikesmypictureWholikesmypicture Posts: 14 New Member
    But why would you even need whims if you have this: aspirations.complete_current_milestone (its a cheat), also to use cheats, press (or hold) 'CTRL' and 'C' at the same time.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Because some people like to earn their perks and achievements through playing the game?

Why necro an old post, when the issue (whims not showing by default) no longer pertains, and has been resolved?
    edited July 2019
    @EA_Mai could you close this please
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    There should be a sticky for this question.
    So_Money wrote: »
    There should be a sticky for this question.

yes there should
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    well wouldn't it make more since for on to be default @Cupid

@comicsforlife the devs turned it off after all of us complained for years that the whims were shallow, lacked fears and needed an overhaul. Instead of overhauling, they decided to make it optional so that they had an excuse if we complained about the quality of this feature.
    edited July 2019
    Karon wrote: »

@comicsforlife the devs turned it off after all of us complained for years that the whims were shallow, lacked fears and needed an overhaul. Instead of overhauling, they decided to make it optional so that they had an excuse if we complained about the quality of this feature.

that still wouldn't explain why its off by default after all it could still have been optional with it being on by default @karon
    The decision to hide the whims was basically an admission of how poorly implemented they were from the start.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My Whims have never been hidden, and didn't abruptly default to toggle-off. I wonder if this is Pack or Mod-specific?
    @Sindocat

They were hidden by default by the November (I think) patch.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Karon wrote: »

that still wouldn't explain why its off by default after all it could still have been optional with it being on by default @karon

It's off by default because they are no longer updating the whims. Complaints would only get worse in the future if all the whims are old/outdated.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I don't understand this decision at all.

Or why it's turned off by default.

New players will likely not even realize that's an option. And it's always been part of the sims, so I don't get it.

I love that it's optional now - i couldn't stand whims. I think we have enough to work towards with aspirations and careers, so I found whims an irritating extra and I never bothered with them.

I think I would have bothered with them more if there was a negative consequence for ignoring them, like in TS3 with the fulfillment bar.
  • storminmaystorminmay Posts: 137 Member
    I actually didn't even notice they were gone, probably because I never really used them.
    Origin/Gallery ID: storminmay

The Venegas-Chan Family Tree
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited July 2019
    The option in Gameplay Options is called 'Show Whims' and the tooltip 'Enabling this shows whims over the Sim's head in the bottom left corner of the screen.'
    As far as I can tell, it does not actually turn whims off and they still occur and if you happen to satisfy them will still collect reward points.
    Although I am an experienced player with TS3 I am new to TS4, only buying the base game in the January Sales when it was cheap and not touching it other than a quick look at the tutorial.
    I recently started playing a few days ago after updating the game and this option has always been off for me. However while playing my Sim which I created for the tutorial, she has been collecting reward points and I got the notification that I had completed 100 whims without ever seeing one.
    It's probably no coincidence that my Sim is a gardener and probably has a lot of whims related to that. Since I have her do a lot of gardening anyway, there may be a fair chance that it is what she wanted to do, lol

(As an aside, the option being off is a common programming error, when adding something new to a GUI and not considering what value it should have when it wasn't there before.)