Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointed about lounge chairs

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Phantomflex
    TS4 gets shorter lounge chairs, it doesn't look confortable and the sims don't seem to be relax.

If there is no multitask, they could do it like TSFP.

0.jpg
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    It might be something we'll have to wait for the modders to improve as with everything else in the game.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I fail to see how The Sims FreePlay is relevant to this discussion.

That game is, as far as I'm aware, developed by a team that is separate from the team that develops The Sims 4. And last time I checked, FreePlay is for phones and tablets which have hardware that is still inferior to the hardware of PCs in spite of recent technological advances. If the PC version of a game is somehow not able to be more advanced and sophisticated than a game built for phones, tablets, and even consoles for that matter, then that is truly appalling.

Imho, being that Sims 4 cannot take advantage of an high end system and relegate itself to one level I look at that program worthy of being an tablet or smart phone material. EA/Maxis is scared to let the program scale up or down to one's specs.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    It might be something we'll have to wait for the modders to improve as with everything else in the game.

So true even if I do not use them. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Techbilt wrote: »
    Seems kind of cheap if they decide to add reading in lounge chairs to a University pack. Tanning and Sunbathing I could understand keeping that action to an EP because Base game doesn't have summer to tan or sunburn the sims. But the base game does have books so I feel it should be a free update to the base game. especially since so far it looks like the only action you can do with a lounge chair is sit lounge and drink.

Maybe it will be included in a pre-University patch. :)

i dont have time to wait tbh.
    y'all got bread?
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    MadIris wrote: »
    Seems kind of cheap if they decide to add reading in lounge chairs to a University pack. Tanning and Sunbathing I could understand keeping that action to an EP because Base game doesn't have summer to tan or sunburn the sims. But the base game does have books so I feel it should be a free update to the base game. especially since so far it looks like the only action you can do with a lounge chair is sit lounge and drink.

Why do you and others who comment like you keep letting EAxis get away with this with comments like this? It's always maybe they will do it next patch or the patch after that. It took how long for us to get lounge chairs and they still half baked it. To be honest I'm sick of it and sick of holding my tongue about it. I didn't pay all this money to get half baked base game content that came COMPLETED, mind you, in previous iterations base game. It's not right. And then we get simmers like you who keep commenting like this is okay. Now wonder this game keeps getting all this problematic half baked content with no real fixes.

Btw don't care if I get banned for saying this. I'm sick of it all. And tired of watching what I say on here. They need to hear this. It's honest feedback from an unsatisfied customers who's been a customer for over a decade.

You're giving me, and others who comment like me, too much credit. There is a fixed budget for animations. You'll never know what would have been left out if sleeping, reading, and reclined talking animations had been added to lounge chairs but there is always a trade off. It's been almost 5 years. You should know that by now.

I wonder why tradeoffs even exist with a BILLION dollar gaming company? In 2019?

Agreed -- Sims 4, according to EA, is selling incredibly well. The reason they're not putting in the same amount of animations that were in previous games is not because of any type of struggling with the company -- it's because they don't have to because they have a lot of customers who think it's fine.

I wish they'd just start reusing more animations from the previous games so at least they would exist.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2019
    Felicity wrote: »

Why do you and others who comment like you keep letting EAxis get away with this with comments like this? It's always maybe they will do it next patch or the patch after that. It took how long for us to get lounge chairs and they still half baked it. To be honest I'm sick of it and sick of holding my tongue about it. I didn't pay all this money to get half baked base game content that came COMPLETED, mind you, in previous iterations base game. It's not right. And then we get simmers like you who keep commenting like this is okay. Now wonder this game keeps getting all this problematic half baked content with no real fixes.

Btw don't care if I get banned for saying this. I'm sick of it all. And tired of watching what I say on here. They need to hear this. It's honest feedback from an unsatisfied customers who's been a customer for over a decade.

You're giving me, and others who comment like me, too much credit. There is a fixed budget for animations. You'll never know what would have been left out if sleeping, reading, and reclined talking animations had been added to lounge chairs but there is always a trade off. It's been almost 5 years. You should know that by now.

I wonder why tradeoffs even exist with a BILLION dollar gaming company? In 2019?

Agreed -- Sims 4, according to EA, is selling incredibly well. The reason they're not putting in the same amount of animations that were in previous games is not because of any type of struggling with the company -- it's because they don't have to because they have a lot of customers who think it's fine.

I wish they'd just start reusing more animations from the previous games so at least they would exist.

What are you talking about? Do you know how many new animations are in this EP? For swimming alone there's tons. Compare making a sand sculpture in TS4 and making a sand castle in TS3.....like even the handle of the bucket moves when sims make sand castles in TS4.

But I hope they'll just update lounge chairs to allow multitasking.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2019
    Look on the bright side. We got 350 new swatches for base game doors.
    Which I for one am very happy about, especially the additional swatches for gender neutral doors and the gender neutral bathroom door for Spa Day. I've been enjoying remodeling my venues with the new bathroom doors.

It's possible that they had some issues with some of the interactions and the lounge chairs, and rather than leave out lounge chairs altogether they went with what they had so they can continue to work on them, and patch in additional interactions later on. They're not sitting around in their cubicles wondering, "Hmmm, what can we leave out and make the community even more frustrated?"

No, you are right they don't decide to frustrate the community, but somehow they keep disappointing by adding content that is lack luster and doesn't even stand up to the test of time when past objects offered more. I don't see the use in handing players content that would only frustrate them and make them think half-baked again. ETA: It makes most think wow, this team isn't as good as those from twenty years ago. It's only natural they would.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    @Phantomflex
    TS4 gets shorter lounge chairs, it doesn't look confortable and the sims don't seem to be relax.

0.jpg

That picture hurts my neck.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Phantomflex

0.jpg

That picture hurts my neck.

I didn't even notice that!! Wow indeed, that would be super uncomfortable there's no neck support. ahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

What are you talking about? Do you know how many new animations are in this EP? For swimming alone there's tons. Compare making a sand sculpture in TS4 and making a sand castle in TS3.....like even the handle of the bucket moves when sims make sand castles in TS4.

I really don’t think they will. The entire issue with us getting them hinged on the cost of all of the new animation work that would need to be done for them to function with multitasking. I don’t know how they can write off the cost of that now that they’ve already released the loungers. It would be a separate cost, not really the same as if they did it all at once.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Seems just like the ones from Sims2 - It's a lounge chair for crying out loud. Sit by the pool chair. What do you want a lounge pool chair to do. Really?

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    2016: Devs say they will only add lounge chairs if it’s done PROPERLY, integrated with multitasking and social interactions.

2019: We finally get lounge chairs and all they can do is sit on them like lifeless mannequins, sunbathe and drink?

🤨

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Seems just like the ones from Sims2 - It's a lounge chair for crying out loud. Sit by the pool chair. What do you want a lounge pool chair to do. Really?

Do you not socialize? Read? I mean the point isn’t really what we want to do there, but that this game is built around the multitasking feature and we were explicitly told by the studio that it was unacceptable for them to release a lounger that isn’t compatible with it. In Sims 2 the loungers had nested interactions, not everything was available but more than sitting was.
    edited June 2019

Do you not socialize? Read? I mean the point isn’t really what we want to do there, but that this game is built around the multitasking feature and we were explicitly told by the studio that it was unacceptable for them to release a lounger that isn’t compatible with it. In Sims 2 the loungers had nested interactions, not everything was available but more than sitting was.

No - I sit by the pool under an umbrella (I burn too easy, no tanning for me) and watched my kids - other than that was not much interested in lounge chairs

In house lounge chairs if i use them at all - I prefer swivel chairs, I sit reading or using my desk or watching a movie. I socialize by standing up and talking with my friends not sitting by the pool.

ETA - I was in Sims 2 not all that long ago at the indoor pool in strangetown and all the sims were sitting in lounge chairs just like that guy watching people in the pool playing hold your breath and marco polo - and doing nothing else for hours. Same thing.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

In 2016 they said multiple times that lounge chairs are expensive and a lot of effort to create because of all the multitasking and needed animations.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/14718178/#Comment_14718178
    "The Sims 4 is support for multitasking across the board, so it isn't acceptable to us to ship objects that you'd expect to work well with multitasking - such as a lounge chair - and limit them to a specific subset of animations or interactions."
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

TBH, I didn't count -- it just seems that objects had a bit more functionality in previous games. Yes, there are new animations but that doesn't mean that they have as many as were in previous games.

As far as multitasking on lounge chairs, I doubt it will happen. I bet anything they tried, and couldn't stop the musical chairs. In some ways, it may be better that they can't do anything but be in the lounge chair because multitasking in Sims 4, while good in theory, really has severe bugs in the way it actually ends up working.
    edited June 2019

In 2016 they said multiple times that lounge chairs are expensive and a lot of effort to create because of all the multitasking and needed animations.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/14718178/#Comment_14718178
    "The Sims 4 is support for multitasking across the board, so it isn't acceptable to us to ship objects that you'd expect to work well with multitasking - such as a lounge chair - and limit them to a specific subset of animations or interactions."

Yeah perhaps so but people kept complaining that any lounge chair was better than no lounge chair and we have waited5 years - seems like multi-tasking in lounge chairs just don't fly. Would you rather keep going with out them. You can always remove them if so.

My sims seem to prefer socializing while standing or at a bar or table and chairs anyway.

I don't know - I am just sort of glad to see a few finally. It looks like a pool or beach area - being originally from Florida - looks really normal to me.

Personally if I had my choice of beach socializing I'd be at least wanting Volley ball or fun things to do on beaches - not lounge chairs for such activity.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited June 2019
    JPsimmer wrote: »
    2016: Devs say they will only add lounge chairs if it’s done PROPERLY, integrated with multitasking and social interactions.

2019: We finally get lounge chairs and all they can do is sit on them like lifeless mannequins, sunbathe and drink?

I think Multitask was abandoned a few of years ago, all the new interactions are monotask .
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Sims 2 sims chat in lounge chairs, they read, they Day dream. Sims 4 sims sit there and look disconnected. I think it looks so strange because sims 4 sims normally fall over themselves to socialise.

No - I sit by the pool under an umbrella (I burn too easy, no tanning for me) and watched my kids - other than that was not much interested in lounge chairs

In house lounge chairs if i use them at all - I prefer swivel chairs, I sit reading or using my desk or watching a movie. I socialize by standing up and talking with my friends not sitting by the pool.

ETA - I was in Sims 2 not all that long ago at the indoor pool in strangetown and all the sims were sitting in lounge chairs just like that guy watching people in the pool playing hold your breath and marco polo - and doing nothing else for hours. Same thing.

Not to sound rude, but it's 2019. And yes I would rather do without than to see an object that looks extremely uncomfortable (no neck support as the older ones had) and not even up to par for the very reason they waited so long to add them. Hey, they are the ones that said they didn't want to release an object Sims couldn't use to multitask. That is the reason they took so long, so they arrive and wow, just wow, they don't do any multitasking by talking to other Sims sitting near by and or they have to get up and sit differently to read a book. Lounge means lounge, you can read a book, use a phone, chat while lounging. But not in TS4 it sort of defeats the purpose of the reason they delayed them so long.

It's not the players' fault they were expecting more of the object but Maxis for saying they wouldn't release them without some good multitasking options and even stated it's below their standards to do so...well, I guess they have lowered them.
    edited June 2019

Not to sound rude, but it's 2019. And yes I would rather do without than to see an object that looks extremely uncomfortable (no neck support as the older ones had) and not even up to par for the very reason they waited so long to add them. Hey, they are the ones that said they didn't want to release an object Sims couldn't use to multitask. That is the reason they took so long, so they arrive and wow, just wow, they don't do any multitasking by talking to other Sims sitting near by and or they have to get up and sit differently to read a book. Lounge means lounge, you can read a book, use a phone, chat while lounging. But not in TS4 it sort of defeats the purpose of the reason they delayed them so long.

It's not the players' fault they were expecting more of the object but Maxis for saying they wouldn't release them without some good multitasking options and even stated it's below their standards to do so...well, I guess they have lowered them.

Well then take them out of YOUR game - I like them as they are and will have them in mine. 2019 - does chairs in 2019 do anything different than 10 years ago - a chair is a chair. Funny my son and his wife just came back from Jamaica for the 5 th anniversary - they sat in the same chairs at the resort they have pictures in during their honey moon just sitting there looking at the water and people on the beach. Not a thing had changed but the date on the pictures and their beach wear. I guess art (games) do imitate life actually.

So did you buy the game and reinstall after all or are you just commenting still.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Tan80Tan80 Posts: 72 Member
    I’m disappointed that you can’t read or chat while lounging as that is what I do when I’m relaxing on holiday, so wanted to this with my sim.
    edited June 2019

Well then take them out of YOUR game - I like them as they are and will have them in mine. 2019 - does chairs in 2019 do anything different than 10 years ago - a chair is a chair. Funny my son and his wife just came back from Jamaica for the 5 th anniversary - they sat in the same chairs at the resort they have pictures in during their honey moon just sitting there looking at the water and people on the beach. Not a thing had changed but the date on the pictures and their beach wear. I guess art (games) do imitate life actually.

So did you buy the game and reinstall after all or are you just commenting still.

First, how would anyone remove a patched content when they possibly need the patches but don't want an object? That's new if at all possible.

I saw on my thread that was closed you made the last comments to me about me no longer playing. I had legit reasons for stopping buying and have legit reasons for not wanting everything they add for free since then.

Unlike you ( I skipped it, too) when you were upset with that GF world too small and not enough lots, I decided summer of 2017 I wasn't just going to 'buy anyway' if something wasn't up to my expectations or standards anymore. You had made a lot of comments about that and was really upset by it, but I assume you got the pack anyway. I won't do that anymore, even if I do love all The Sims games or at least the idea of them.

No, I haven't gotten this new pack and after reading a bunch of feedback and problems with it, and or short comings in many areas of it, where things don't seem to be thought out very much I wouldn't get it until it was half off because I honestly feel it's a GP sold at EP price. One thing as a short coming is the mermaids. If you create one in a different world there isn't any kelp for them to put in a pool or whatever for them to eat like in the actual world so I think that would break immersion to me to put a mermaid in a pool though an EP should expand across all the game, or at least by my standards and then no kelp as someone complained seemed just a half done pack to me or not tested or an oversight or something. Again, what some of us call shallow because they didn't think about it or because they didn't care, or money or whatever, it still winds up seeming shallow with things like that not even thought about. Some are very disappointed of how drowning another Sim works...at this point it seems not too good, so with stuff like that in an EP (higher price) I won't buy now fix later anymore. They've had five years of my time to amaze me, and I'm waiting to see Realm of Magic but doubt I will be impressed. And since I bought many packs before then, I'm still entitled to bug fixes if they ever get around to them for the packs I do own.

And you know we actually have lounge chairs here in the backwoods and don't have to go to Jamaica to figure them out.

• InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    No interaction on lounge chairs beyond sitting and drinking? Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. I thought about sims gossiping on lounge chairs would be a nice little touch, since you know, talking and laying on a lounge chair is pretty far from unusual. Can my sim at least be on their phone as well? Ive finally updated but I havent had the time to check out all the new content in the patch.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top