Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relationship-Traits, Neighborhood-Traits and Customized Sim-Traits in TS5?

SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
Ok, so let’s share some ideas on how to make TS5-gameplay more interesting, customizable and varied with some new awesome categories of Traits! In my opinion this could be succesfully done by including:

1. Customized Sim-Traits – A dream-feature that’s still on top of my TS5-wishlist since many years now. Let’s hope that TS5-CAS finally includes this ultimate game-changing tool! It would work similar to how we today easily create custom-made Holidays in TS4 (but needless to say - a Customized Trait would be implemented quite differently in-game than a Created Holiday of course.)
Creating our own customized sim-traits would make each sim more special, unique and fun to follow around in-game. No more “all sims act the exact same way” ever again! (:
With a more puzzle-pieces based Trait-system where pre-programmed small puzzle-piece (with actual game impact!) are easily drag and drop-merged into Customized Traits, a sim-player could micromanage how a certain sim behaves on a whole different level than today.
Drag and drop maybe 5-10 different puzzle-pieces from a bunch of premade puzzle pieces (in order to work as intended this New Trait-feature would require quite a large number of small Trait Puzzle-Pieces though (I’m talking hundreds here…) - unlike in TS4-Create a Holiday where there are not that many puzzle-pieces to choose between)
These smaller trait-pieces would be categorized in different sections and once put together, you’d have to name the finished custom-made Trait! Hopefully each and every sim equipped with custom-made traits would surprise you in-game on a whole different level than today. Also no two neat-traited sims would ever behave in the exact same way again. (One sim may avoid germs and bacterias best they know how and maybe step away if someone coughs or sneezes, while another sim can’t stand smoke from the grill or disgusting scents - just for an example.)

2. Relationship Traits: Every sim-relation of significance (positive or negative) for example Childhood Friend, Best Friend, Long term work colleague, Nemesis, Spouse, Parent, Ex-partner etc, should have an option where the player may add a few Relationship Traits to spice things up a bit (Similar to how TS4-Lot Traits work today, just with A LOT more game-impact…)
A system like this could more easily define how different sim-relations evolves in a less random way than today. Perhaps also provide some special interactions between sims with some sort of history together? Will the divorced couple get along fine or keep a grudge? (Or is in fact one of them still emotionally involved and wishes nothing but getting back together with their ex again?) Are two work colleagues more likely to back each other up or less likely to credit the other sim’s work efforts and talents..? Are the newly engaged couple head over heels deeply and crazily in love or more unsure and hestitant about a future life together? Once again - endless possibilities in my opinion, if well implemented.

3. Neighborhood Traits: Yeah, I know… The customization of TS4-worlds/neighborhoods is basically non-existent. But it doesn’t have to stay that way in TS5, right? We do already have TS4-Lot Traits, so why not TS5-Neighborhood Traits as well? A fully customizable open TS5-world would benefit greatly from something like this. For example: “Abandoned” (less NPC’s spawning than usual, common lots opening and closing at random hours), "Crowded" (more NPC’s than the average neighborhood) "Runners’ roads" (more joggers), "Unreliable weather", "Spooky atmosphere", "Pickpocket gnomes", "UFO-hotspot", "Under construction", etc.

What kind of Traits would you create with these features in TS5? Is it something you’d use often? Share your thoughts!

Z5yqGx5.png
Post edited by SupersonicAvalanche on

Comments

• SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
    Reserved
    Z5yqGx5.png
  • DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
    Neighborhood Traits sound COOL, and if we have a CAW tool in TS5, even the World Trait option is possible.
  • AlpineCuriosityAlpineCuriosity Posts: 2,521 Member
    I love these ideas! ^^ Especially Relationship Traits and Customized Traits. Sounds to me like tools that could really add some fun and surprising gameplay elements!
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Implementing ideas like this would definitely elevate a Sims 5 game above its predecessors. Indeed, I hope if they ever do make such a game, its base concentrates on creating a solid and customizable foundation that can be built upon by expansions.

I hope that if they do introduce the ability to create your own custom traits, that they would be sharable on something like the gallery. (I also hope they do this with outfits and perhaps custom worlds if they bring that tool back).
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Love your ideas, we have talked about some of those trait ideas in my "Let's Discuss Sims 5" but definetely not in depht. I think i mentioned how i wanted both neighborhood traits and world traits that would define the culture of said world, like the greeting, the dance style, preferred food category, etc...
    Implementing ideas like this would definitely elevate a Sims 5 game above its predecessors. Indeed, I hope if they ever do make such a game, its base concentrates on creating a solid and customizable foundation that can be built upon by expansions.

I hope that if they do introduce the ability to create your own custom traits, that they would be sharable on something like the gallery. (I also hope they do this with outfits and perhaps custom worlds if they bring that tool back).

I agree 100% ^^
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    I like your ideas! Another addition for neighbourhood traits could be having upmarket areas and low end areas, depending one the area the education facilities could work better or worse, more or less burglaries etc
    giphy_1.gif
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    I like the idea of Relationship Traits the best! In game currently, every relationship is kind of the same potentially.

And I think I see what you're saying with the customized Sim Traits, too. Like how current TS4 traits are comprised of particular behaviors, preferences, perks, and/or tendencies. [Currently, for example, choosing the Gloomy trait will make a Sim 1)sad more often, 2)gain creative skills faster during sadness, and 3)have trouble socializing.] Instead of choosing a TS4 trait that involves smaller behaviors, in your version we just go ahead and choose the smaller details in the first place. I do like that a lot.

Thanks everyone for your input! It’s great that so many simmers already recognize these New Trait-features as the highly useful and extremely needed tools they are. How about we take another brief look at Relationship Traits?

Ever wished for your sim-characters to relate to each other in a more accurate and intriguing way right from sim-day 1? Less tampering with either cheats or outdated relationship-bars over and over? Fed up with non-consequential gameplay? If carefully implemented Relationship Traits could offer you detailed control on how individual sims interact with other sims they supposedly got a history together with over time.

With Relationship Traits added sims would for the first time ever “stay in character” so to speak and keep playing their part of your story with or without your interference. This way your whole sim-world would come to life on a whole different level than today!

Relationship Traits would always make sure that a certain sim interacts accordingly to your plans for that specific relationship with another sim (in more logical, interesting and refreshing ways). No more of that “weirder stories”-baseline that has done absolutely nothing for any in-depth TS4-gameplay in my opinion. With these new narratives added in form of Relationship Traits the illusion won’t be broken as easily anymore! Not even when you’re busy playing other sims and all of a sudden bumps into your main-characters for example on a social event of some kind. They would now be bound to interact with those important to your story, accordingly to their Relationship Traits between them - and we’d finally move on from this in TS4 today:

Talk to target sim X times – sit down and talk to sim X times – get a moodlet while making certain interaction (only 1 time but you have to stand up now again…) Then have a deep conversation X times (Wait, my sim can sit down again now?) Ok, so we’re finally done? Nope – you still need to get another moodlet now and hurry up to perform yet another interaction… A few more times now should do the trick… (Why don’t they stay seated…? Never mind…) Ok, here we go - Finally done! You get your gold/silver or bronze medal together with that same vague, confused feeling of once more being cheated of something important. Yeah, that’s right – cuz what happened to the sand box-themed gameplay anyway? *Ends current game session*

…to something surprisingly entertaining, interesting and much more useful TS5-storytelling wise in the future hopefully.

The ability to pre-set narratives on how two sims unique (played or unplayed) history together will be defined in-game would be more than useful in my opinion. Less random confused smiling, waving and repetetive interactions in favor for a smoother and much more engaging gameplay right from sim-day one! Now who wouldn’t want that? What do you say?

Z5yqGx5.png
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Ok, so let’s share some ideas on how to make TS5-gameplay more interesting, customizable and varied with some new awesome categories of Traits! In my opinion this could be succesfully done by including:

1. Customized Sim-Traits – A dream-feature that’s still on top of my TS5-wishlist since many years now. Let’s hope that TS5-CAS finally includes this ultimate game-changing tool! It would work similar to how we today easily create custom-made Holidays in TS4 (but needless to say - a Customized Trait would be implemented quite differently in-game than a Created Holiday of course.)
    Creating our own customized sim-traits would make each sim more special, unique and fun to follow around in-game. No more “all sims act the exact same way” ever again! (:
    With a more puzzle-pieces based Trait-system where pre-programmed small puzzle-piece (with actual game impact!) are easily drag and drop-merged into Customized Traits, a sim-player could micromanage how a certain sim behaves on a whole different level than today.
    Drag and drop maybe 5-10 different puzzle-pieces from a bunch of premade puzzle pieces (in order to work as intended this New Trait-feature would require quite a large number of small Trait Puzzle-Pieces though (I’m talking hundreds here…) - unlike in TS4-Create a Holiday where there are not that many puzzle-pieces to choose between)
    These smaller trait-pieces would be categorized in different sections and once put together, you’d have to name the finished custom-made Trait! Hopefully each and every sim equipped with custom-made traits would surprise you in-game on a whole different level than today. Also no two neat-traited sims would ever behave in the exact same way again. (One sim may avoid germs and bacterias best they know how and maybe step away if someone coughs or sneezes, while another sim can’t stand smoke from the grill or disgusting scents - just for an example.)

2. Relationship Traits: Every sim-relation of significance (positive or negative) for example Childhood Friend, Best Friend, Long term work colleague, Nemesis, Spouse, Parent, Ex-partner etc, should have an option where the player may add a few Relationship Traits to spice things up a bit (Similar to how TS4-Lot Traits work today, just with A LOT more game-impact…)
    A system like this could more easily define how different sim-relations evolves in a less random way than today. Perhaps also provide some special interactions between sims with some sort of history together? Will the divorced couple get along fine or keep a grudge? (Or is in fact one of them still emotionally involved and wishes nothing but getting back together with their ex again?) Are two work colleagues more likely to back each other up or less likely to credit the other sim’s work efforts and talents..? Are the newly engaged couple head over heels deeply and crazily in love or more unsure and hestitant about a future life together? Once again - endless possibilities in my opinion, if well implemented.

3. Neighborhood Traits: Yeah, I know… The customization of TS4-worlds/neighborhoods is basically non-existent. But it doesn’t have to stay that way in TS5, right? We do already have TS4-Lot Traits, so why not TS5-Neighborhood Traits as well? A fully customizable open TS5-world would benefit greatly from something like this. For example: “Abandoned” (less NPC’s spawning than usual, common lots opening and closing at random hours), "Crowded" (more NPC’s than the average neighborhood) "Runners’ roads" (more joggers), "Unreliable weather", "Spooky atmosphere", "Pickpocket gnomes", "UFO-hotspot", "Under construction", etc.

What kind of Traits would you create with these features in TS5? Is it something you’d use often? Share your thoughts!

Love all three! If TS5 has these features I just may buy it.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

Vehicle-Traits could also work to a certain extent - I'm thinking:

"Environment-friendly"
    "Ramshackle" (More repairs required)
    "Robust engine" (Less repairs needed)
    "Fuel-hungry" (Not very cost-efficient)
    "Self driving"
    "Loud engine"
    "Winter-Proof" (Never stalls)

...and so on

(: But then again, we'd need TS5-vehicles added first of course!
    Z5yqGx5.png

...and what about Seasonal Traits?

Wouldn't it be cool if we could link a certain sim-Trait to a specific Season in TS5? A sim could now Love Outdoors in Summertime and Hate Outdoors in Wintertime.

You could even create The "Pumpkin Spice Everything"-Trait (Seasonal Trait - kicks in every fall).
    Z5yqGx5.png

So... For any of this to happen in a not too distant TS5-future it is absolutely crucial that enough resources/programming-efforts goes into the TS5-basegame before release date. The Create-a-Personality sector has to be there right from day one - Or we'll risk ending up with the same basic sim-traits/gameplay/interactions once more. I honestly don't want that. I don’t think anyone wants that, right?

And I quote:
    “Express Your Campus Style – Make your Sim’s space cozy with dorm room décor that reflects their personality. Develop their style in any way you choose – whether wearing late-for-class sweatpants or their best-self outfits”
    (From description of TS4-Uni life)

That sums up TS4-sims pretty much, don’t you think? But never fear. With a solid Create-a-Personality-sector in TS5-CAS any potted plant or microwave in TS5 will be chanceless! Simply too much personality to reflect… I’m just kidding here - But seriously, if any future sim-game is ever going to change into a more intriguing direction gameplay-wise, it all needs to start in CAS with a much vaster and more detailed personality-section. And that is no joke.

This new CAS-section, “Create-a-Personality” needs to be just as scaled up as the TS4-outfits & appearance-category of today. It’s where The Custom Traits are put together, Facial Expression-types (laughter, crying, fear, astonishment , embarrassment, weariness etc) are picked out for each important sim (and even tweaked when necessary). It’s also where Relationships are pre-set.

It is where the player can choose between different Movement Styles (walking, running, dancing, ice skating (should depend more on how and when they learned the skill – Hockey players for example skate like there’s no tomorrow - racing on the ice - while figure skaters are more like dancers. Someone who learnt how to ice skate as an adult may appear more hesitant (and often stays like that) on the ice – at least in comparison to someone who spent their entire childhood in the rink… ), swimming, fighting, snowboarding and skiing etc – The list goes on…)

And on a quick side note (since we discussed the ice skating-skill above) – Don’t you think we need more ways in general to develop skills in different directions? A lock-option would be great to start with, since some sims just aren’t cut out for video game championships. While another sim for example would keep getting worse at cooking the more he/she tries perhaps? (Could possibly unlock some really interesting (gross…) dishes?) What I’m trying to say here is not every sim needs to become a star at everything every time. But since most sims need to cook on a daily basis, they all end up more or less star chefs in the end, as the game is rigged today. Anyway – back to Create-a-Personality:

Behavior & Preferences! Here we go…

Vocal (voice-type, speeche pace – too fast, too slow or just right? Strength of voice - some sims may have a louder voice while another almost whispers etc) ,
    Eating & Drinking (Just the basics really - Healty, unhealty, picky, chewing gum-enthusiast, loud chewer, only water please, smoothie-enthusiast, nectar-resistant etc)
    Sleep (Sleepwalker, nightmares, snoring, talking in their sleep, tossing and turning, favorite sleep position - back, stomach or side etc)
    Personal hygiene routines (autonomous) Do you think it’s important for your sim to floss but keep forgetting? Pre-set what ever behavior you want a special sim to perform on a regular basis.
    General interactions/behavior around other sims – because it’s the insignificant things that makes a great sim, right?
    Favorites & Fears (Yeah, we all want them back, so why not?)

I can’t stress enough though how important it is that we get enough options in each and every category – or every sim will just once more feel like every other sim in-game…

In short - How TS5-sims expresses themselves in-game should be closely linked to their unique personality – not household items, potions or random mood swings. I’m sorry – but there’s simply no other way to make things interesting again than to make it right from start, so… TS5 shouldn’t be all about the outfits, fancy patios nor collectibles – that’s just props and it will never make up for lack of more genuine sim-personalities and interesting gameplay-options.

What do you think so far? Feel free to add your own Trait/Personality-ideas on how to make TS5 an awesome simulation game!

Z5yqGx5.png
    I honestly can’t picture The Sims 5 without tools for sim-personality customization now - Hopefully TS5 is The Sim-Game that really surprises us all ^^
    edited January 2020
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7Y7GCPJ

Interesting survey about TS4-relationships - relationship-compatibility, relationship short term states and shared personal history (with long term impact) and much more.

It’s a good sign if TS4-personalities/relationships seem to be in focus at last (better late than never in my opinion)

Also great if we’d get the TS4-Winter themed GP soon, right? (:
    Z5yqGx5.png
  • AlveAlve Posts: 101 Member
    It would be really cool is the traits sometimes would randomly generate a story. Like in World Adventures where the treasure hunting was quite story driven. And if you weren't interested in it you could just decline it. A bit like Sims Stories I think it was called (like the cast away one). Like you have a single romantic sim getting approached by a npc, and the npc is trying to woo you and maybe they're asking your sim to come over to their house, and they have lots of money etc and you as a player chose to quickly enter the relationship or even get them married; maybe then you realize they have very annoying trait, don't have money at all and pick fights with anyone. or something lol it could lit be hundreds of other scenarios. maybe your kid have learning disabilites, maybe your sim really wants to move to a specific neighbourhood. I miss ts3 where you could actually read sims thoughts and what they said to each other. I always loved making them gossip to read what stuff they said about each other. To me it would make them more personal and unique.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

Wouldn't it be cool if we could link a certain sim-Trait to a specific Season in TS5? A sim could now Love Outdoors in Summertime and Hate Outdoors in Wintertime.

You could even create The "Pumpkin Spice Everything"-Trait (Seasonal Trait - kicks in every fall).

@SupersonicAvalanche the pumpkin/food ones can be turned into the favorites we had in Sims 3. Then we could choose a regular food or a seasonal one, if you pick a seasonal one our sim would be excited that the season is coming next because they'll get to eat their favorite food. Also, I would love unfavored stuff... You would be able to pick one favorite of each category, and you would have to pick a unfavored too.
    edited January 2020
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/965529/a-game-of-ts5-customized-traits/p1

^^^^ So many new traits I’d love to see/create in The Sims 5...
    Karon wrote: »

@SupersonicAvalanche the pumpkin/food ones can be turned into the favorites we had in Sims 3. Then we could choose a regular food or a seasonal one, if you pick a seasonal one our sim would be excited that the season is coming next because they'll get to eat their favorite food. Also, I would love unfavored stuff... You would be able to pick one favorite of each category, and you would have to pick a unfavored too.

That could also work out great! The important thing here is that all Traits (and Favorites) are well implemented - and that it doesn't get old quickly gameplay-wise. The more choices we have the better, right?

I believe TS5-main focus should be on having a great gameplay experience each time you open up a save. And important key-features here in, my own opinion, are creative in-depth CAS-tools that would finally allow us to create different kind of TS5-Traits - Custom made Sim-Traits and Relationship Traits could definitely help TS5-sims and their relationships come to life in much more unique and interesting ways.

Z5yqGx5.png