Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inquiry to Designers

adamclark83adamclark83 Posts: 692 Member
I've seen a number of lovely houses people have built for this game where they've taken an empty lot and in about 30 minutes, built a stunning house. My question is how do you do this? What do you use as inspiration as I have some Sims that I want to build lovely houses for but I sit there staring at the empty lot with no idea how I want it to look or what I'm aiming for.
2quwd7.gif

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Same here ! Sometimes I have a specific idea, but most of the time I just improvise. The building videos I watch are sped up usually.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Find references! Just look through the gallery or, better yet, Google houses that fit your tastes and are approximately of the same size you're looking for. You get better at it over time though. It's not easy building on a blank canvas from scratch when you're also still learning how to build so look for inspiration elsewhere. Open a few of them on a second screen and just try to replicate what you see (to the extent it's possible). You'll get better and after a while, you'll more easily be able to just come up with some things yourself. Good luck!
  • gretchend417gretchend417 Posts: 41 Member
    I always go to floor plan websites, recreating the ones that stand out to me the most. There are a lot of websites to chose from. Give it a shot!

It's also fun just to look. :)
  • adamclark83adamclark83 Posts: 692 Member
    I do the same, replicate houses that get my attention. Of all the houses I've built in the game, only 5 of them I've built of my own design. The rest is mostly replicated from plans I like. I recently completed a house on a 64x64 lot with a total price of just over $1.3million, the most expensive house in the game. That one is based off 908 Bel Air Rd with modifications.
    2quwd7.gif

• brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I get inspiration from online homes, when I look at a home I make note of what about that house stands out to Me and if it's something I can't duplicate with what I have to work with in basegame build/buy mode I move on to something else. Some things of course you can improvise with but if it's a certain type of window and the window is the selling point that makes that House and I don't have one similar than I just won't build it. If it's the structure of the house the sells Me then I don't worry if I don't have the exact same windows or wall pattern, as long as it's the same similar structure.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I look up floor plans or pics of something similar I'm wanting to build for inspiration. Just recently I was wanting to build a Priory for weddings in game so I searched for it on Google pics. I drew inspiration from the one in Elder Scrolls Oblivion. This is the last build I've done as here if late I've just been updating in game lots.

The build isn't on the gallery yet as I was waiting to add something to it as it just feels like it's missing something. I think when Realm of magic comes out I'll update it then load on to the gallery.

When I get to my computer I'll upload a pic of it along with the pic I drew inspiration from.

WbUrFQm.png
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    I get inspiration pretty much from anything/everything from certain color, pattern, texture, item/object, feeling, music, style, theme, real buildings to viewing other simmers' creations and learning/discovering new tricks and possibilities. I have found themed challenges hosted by other simmers very inspiring whether it has been for a room, house, entire lot or a sim/household.

If I'm completely out of ideas, I usually just put the foundation and scale it to cover the entire lot and begin buying items/objects I like and making random rooms... changing, shifting, playing around with them until something start to appeal. If that kind of creativity doesn't come naturally to you, then it's wisest to view houses, rooms, furnishing etc from the internet or even loan books from a library.

The most important thing however, is to remember to be kind on yourself. Nothing kills inspiration and motive more certainly than your own negative attitude/feelings towards your own creations.
  • ellizelliz Posts: 14 New Member
    I have a (secret!) Pinterest board full of floorplans and homes to build in The Sims. I especially like Mid-Century Modern style homes, tons of floorplans and elevations floating out there for inspiration.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited June 2019
    idk either how they make those mega cool ones I lose patience before that :joy:
    but I think it helps to watch some speed builds you get lots of tips and ideas from those
    and also recreating something you have seen irl or in movies
    sometimes comes out really pretty :smile:
    old houses? new houses? whatever ur in mood for really

personal tip would be making smaller houses in general if the theme allows
    because that means less walls and roofs to handle and makes it much easier
    to come up with something that does not look like odd box :joy:

also usually start my builds by thinking what is good layout for gameplay
    and what kind of routing would be good and it it just works better in game
    because sometimes you have those pretty lots and then ur sim walks hours to get off the lot :joy:
    so I try to avoid that by thinking routing first
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free