Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Early Access - My honest first impressions

This review was made possible by EA Game Changers, thank you EA for allowing me early access

Full disclaimer: I have only played the pack for like 6 hours so far

99o30h.png

MY HONEST FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I wasn’t this excited for a TS4 pack since Seasons. When seasons released, I liked many things about it but was also critical of some aspects, specially gameplay related. After Seasons came Get Famous (my very first early access pack), and then Strangerville (which I wrote an honest review here)

Neither one of those 2 packs suited my gameplay style, so I was eager to finally get my hands on Island Living since it theoretically ticks almost all the boxes for me. Did it live up to my expectations?

Let’s travel to Sulani and see.

2h5n23r.png

THE WORLD:

We have kind of gotten used to smaller worlds and the last EP had a very disappointing one. This world comes with 14 lots, more than the last EP but still not enough for a player like me.

The world is gorgeous, it is lush and full of details. The sunsets and sunrises are on par with the ones you can see from the island in Windenburg, just stunning!

It is a shame that we can’t see underwater because from the surface it looks like it would be breathtaking.

ioeook.png

I haven’t had the time yet to experience the locals nor the festivals because I spent most of my time on the other islands but I'll comment on it as soon as I can, tomorrow I have the day off and I'll be playing the whole day so if you have any questions, shoot away!
Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
All my creations are CC free.

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited June 2019
    CAS:

The hairstyles are great, and I am really getting used to this! They have been consistently good since Seasons, a year ago. I still wished we would have gotten at least a new hairstyle for toddlers and a hairstyle with a more subtle flower crown for all the life stages.

af7d61.jpg
    2d26rgn.jpg
    I always like to see how winter hats look with new hairstyles, I must say they look amazing with this particular 2.
    nxosn9.jpg

The feminine clothing items are exactly what I wanted from such a pack, beautiful patterns and shapes, flowy, summery, colourful.

The masculine items are as usual more lacklustre but very well done all the same, I know I’m going to overuse some of the items here. It’s a shame we didn’t get more “full outfits” for men, the only one being the diving one.

Kids and toddlers didn’t really get much as usual although kids got a bit more than I expected and toddlers look so cute on theirnew outfits! They should have also added the leaves bracelets that teens+ have for both toddlers and kids.

My main issue with CAS though, is that barely any tops match properly with any bottoms (patterns or otherwise).

Here, some very gorgeous outfits that do match:
    hs5b9j.jpg
    m79v8y.jpg
    28srq4z.jpg
    25870ba.jpg

Mermaid CAS is nice, I love the patterns and shiny scales! It is great that they added “mermaid faces” that you can choose from.
    dbl3ld.png
    14nz03o.png

BUILD/BUY:

I didn't have the chance to build too much but I am planning big things! The items are unbelievably detailed. There are 2 distinct styles, one more chilled and unpolished and one more high-end. Both extremely pretty.

As we knew by now, pools can't be built at sea level, howhever, they can look really great on the second floor.

My only issue with BB is very minor and is that yet again, they forgot to add (ironically) island counters that match the new kitchen counters

33vnr7s.png

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Bookmarked!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Thank you for doing this! I'm curious to see the Game Changers' take on this pack. I've wanted a beach pack for a long time now, and I want to know if it's worth getting on release or if I should wait for a sale.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    My only issue with BB is very minor and is that yet again, they forgot to add (ironically) island counters that match the new kitchen counters

33vnr7s.png

I thought one of the Game Changers said they were working to get the matching island counters in before release? That's a shame 🤔
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

33vnr7s.png

I thought one of the Game Changers said they were working to get the matching island counters in before release? That's a shame 🤔

That's great news! It seems like they didn't make it on time but there are still technically 2 days left, fingers crossed. Otherwise, it will come in next month's patch I guess.
    Beach lot requirements:

eik2gh.png
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Thank you for the info and pics.
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Great pics and info! And I love that new fridge. <3
    aSE16f8.gif
    Great pics and info! And I love that new fridge. <3

Oh I'm sorry for the confusion, the fridge is from Jungle Adventure and the stove from Parenthood. I just added then to the pic to give more context and to show how well they fit together.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Once again male hair styles and clothing are ignored 6 female 2 male so annoying the same can be said for clothing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Once again male hair styles and clothing are ignored 6 female 2 male so annoying the same can be said for clothing.

I would normally agree, but in this case, some of the hairstyles work very well for both feminine and masculine sims, the long curly hairstyle with tons of volume fit better for men I find, and the one with the flower crown looks very appropriate for island males, the flowers are way too big for most female faces.
    But yes, overall we need more male attention.
    I just discovered something really cool!
    First of all, that sims can use those massive ladders that go into the sea, I was under the impression they were just decor.
    9k9gcm.png
    Unfortunately they don't work outside the water (they are basically gigant pool ladders).

And, here is the awesome discovery I just made: the Get Together jumping platforms work to jump straight into the sea!

20sfu6o.png
    28hhk44.png

Here in movement:
    https://youtu.be/6bWbxzsg3Lk
    (sorry for the plum quality, I'm not an expert Youtuber :D )
    The diving platforms are a pleasant surprise

How does sunbathing affects a dark skinned sim?
    2u6ogme.png
    33a9o4i.png
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Beach lot requirements:

eik2gh.png

I'm glad it doesn't require much. Other lot types are too restrictive for me.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited June 2019
    Thank you for review.

Are there any game options for Island Living? I am hoping for options to control pollution on the beach and mermaids spawning.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Thank you for review.

Are there any game options for Island Living? I am hoping for options to control pollution on the beach and mermaids spawning.

Here is a great guide with all the new cheats.
    You can make your beach pristine by cheating (although as I said before I haven't really seen a lot of rubbish around so far).
    Here is a great guide that explains the island system better than I ever could.

As for the control of mermaids, I'm afraid there's no way to control the population. But as far as I can see, it work more or less like aliens in that if you don't play them and delete the existing ones, they rarely appear.
    I'm playing around with Build/Buy and it's just so beautiful!
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that the glass floor can be enlarged without a problem.

This is the original size of the piece:
    2j3370j.png

And here it is enlarged
    2rpzpyx.png

Otherwise it would look like this:
    14l095t.png

Also great but the fact that it can easily be scaled up means more options, and that's what I'm all about.
  • sivansivan Posts: 24 Member
    thank you
    When I saw coconut was a new harvestable I assumed the tree will look like the plantain one but I was wrong.
    I'm so happy to have been wrong!
    e03cdd.png
    Yeah, TS4 at least gets the harvestables right.

I remember seeing bananas introduced in TS3 Showtime, and when I saw the banana tree, my thought as a tropical native was "this ain't it chief" :D

• TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Well, TS3 had one or two tree templates, a high bush template (more added in the university and supernaturals DLCs) and a low bush template. TS4 has much more diversity on plant design.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    Have you had the glitch of sims taking baths or showers with their clothes on? I noticed it in a few Simmers gameplay videos and am concerned.
  • RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    [bookmarked] Thank you for all the great pictures and thoughts concerning this pack. Have fun playing today! <3