Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who else hates Sims babies?

I've created a thread about something similar before, but I want to know your opinions on Sims babies. I personally think that there are a lot of things wrong with babies, and children in general, in the Sims. The base game includes one option for bassinets and little customization. I think they should include at least two or three different cribs since you have about a hundred different styles and colors for all the other furniture. I imagine an actual crib, much bigger than the bassinet, like one with wooden bars and a decorative blanket/toy inside, something more realistic and adorable like the race car beds they offer for toddlers. If not something like that, at least maybe add a new bassinet with a customizable baby pillow/blanket. At the very least I would like to be able to customize the color of the entire crib, not just the ribbon on the side. Not everybody likes white bassinets, especially if you have a themed baby room, only providing four colors can limit your options. Another thing I hate is the fact that babies are practically glued to their cribs. Obviously, allowing sims to travel with their babies was a huge fail, considering all the glitches that came with it. But, a sim should have the option to hold their baby while sitting on the couch, or rock their baby in a chair, or just carry the baby around the house. And, in my opinion the "show off" button has no use. Lots of people can't even use it because they put their bassinets against the wall. While it is a cute idea, I've never been able to use this feature because I refuse to take up unnecessary space just to show off my baby. Also, the fact that you can put your baby in the inventory is just horrifying. On top of that, their needs won't deplete in the inventory. If you are tired of your baby, you can just stick it in the inventory! And you won't get your baby taken for doing so. You can't put a toddler in the inventory, and even if you could, they would die in a few days because their needs would deplete, but a baby can just live in the inventory? This adds a very inhuman aspect to babies. They might as well be one of those Baby Alive dolls, but at least a child can carry their Baby Alive doll wherever they go.

Comments

• Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    The problem is, and always has been that babies in this game are objects with sim-data coded into them rather than full-blown actual sims. It's why you see so many posts asking EA to Free the Babies, and yet, there seems to be no response. I'd love to see this problem rectified, but at this point, I'm not sure it's possible.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    The state of infancy has never been a focus of mine. In Sims 3, I just wanted it to be over with as quickly as possible. In Sims 4, I age them up to toddlers right away. So, I'm more or less unable to share the frustration surrounding babies. I am, however, opposed to the idea that they should be reduced to a piece of furniture, and that you must simply guess at what they need. Same thing with Sims 4 pets. I dislike not having access to a regular needs panel.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    "Hate" is a strong term. "Disinterest" is closer. I don't find TS4 any more limited in its treatment of infants than TS3, but neither is it much more engaging. They have arms and legs, a plus. There are no rocking chairs (base game) to rock them in, a minus.

However, given it is a stage that lasts by default 3 days, how much customization do we need? Sure, I'd prefer a swanky Mid-Mod bassinet that toned with my furniture, but I am just going to drop it right back in Family Inventory as soon as the baby ages up.

As for Toddlers, I am glad I delayed my migration to TS4 until they were added, though even off in TS3-land, the angry mutters against their initial omission was hard to miss. I think especially with Parenthood, there is in fact more depth of play than Generations brought to Toddler-Teen in TS3. I think Emotions are thoughtfully employed, and have enjoyed my Toddler's reactions.

Babies are crying, eating, sleeping poop-factories. Once my parents have each had a shot at some cuddles and a diaper change, they get aged up. That's how I've always played, and TS4 hasn't changed that.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Babies and toddlers are my least favorite as they are so needy and annoying really. Even if they fixed them, it just means more work caring for them as no matter what game, I am just going to age them up anyways.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hate is a strong word but I do not like playing with the baby stage and I do not like having my sim being pregnant either. Even if babies were updated I believe that I would keep on creating toddlers in CAS and taking it from there.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't hate them. I also don't like them. But the reason I don't like them isn't because they're objects or anything like that. Babies are just kinda boring and useless. Even if they gave us the most incredible sim babies ever I'd still have no interest in the lifestage
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I can't say I hate them, I just don't play with them. They are aged up to toddler as soon as they are born. They eat, sleep and poop. That's about as interesting as they get. I'd still age them up asap even if they were the most fantastic babies in sim-history. At least then I can see their needs, I can control them. The parents can carry on doing what they need to do, and I'll take care of the little one. Less fuss that way.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I don’t hate them. They’re basically non-entities.
  • Options
    AquariusMomAquariusMom Posts: 229 Member
    [quote="...If you are tired of your baby, you can just stick it in the inventory! And you won't get your baby taken for doing so...[/quote]

Seriously? I can't stand playing babies and toddlers. I could've done this the whole time? How did I not know this? THANK YOU!!!

• Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2019
    If you are tired of your baby, you can just stick it in the inventory! And you won't get your baby taken for doing so...

Seriously? I can't stand playing babies and toddlers. I could've done this the whole time? How did I not know this? THANK YOU!!!

Spoken like a true Aquarius Mom.

I kid, I kid.
  • Options
    Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    I find them very boring, I age them up the day after they are born.
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I find their constant whining super annoying. But I'd be fine with them if I could take them out of my home lot, so they can join the family on trips. I'm sick and tired of taking my family to the wharf for snacks and fishing, only to have a parent continually rush home because the stupid baby won't stop crying.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I dont hate them and am pretty meh about needing to "free" them, I actually find them very mellow, feed them, rock them, change the diaper about once every eight hours. Pretty chill way to raise the parenting skill and relationship IMO.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    I don't hate them. I just wish they were better than they are. Like why can't we have baby objects and why can't they come out of the bassinet ever? We can't even dress them in different clothes or do anything with them. They don't feel like a family member but more like an object just waiting there to be interacted with.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • Options
    ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    I hate them lol. Theyre nothing but a difficult nuisance that cant really be part of the family. I feel like babies are a missing life stage because really theyre just interactive objects. Im a family player so im team #freethebabies
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I hate the fact that babies are objects instead of sims so much. I want a baby overhaul more than anything right now. Babies feel like a doll, not like a part of the family and that's a major problem. And I always link this video when the question comes up; this is the kind of depth I'd like to see from babies. Crawling, bathing, toys, bouncy chairs, learning to stand. All of that would make babies so much more lifelike and enjoyable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBJqbJpbETs
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    I don't hate them. I also don't like them. But the reason I don't like them isn't because they're objects or anything like that. Babies are just kinda boring and useless. Even if they gave us the most incredible sim babies ever I'd still have no interest in the lifestage

Family players have good reason to want incredible babies though.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I hate Sims 4 babies and wont use them loved them in Sims 2 though. They need to be freed and made to be more like the babies in Sims Free Play.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    I don’t hate them. They live for three days at most before an age up, so..
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

Family players have good reason to want incredible babies though.

i bet
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited June 2019
    I loved sims 2 babies..... I’m team #freethebabies too. I would love to be able to rock them, change their clothes on a changing table, put them on the couch or a blanket, put them in a crib, carry them around, and take them with me in a stroller when my sim goes to another lot, or around the neighborhood. I play with aging off, so my sim babies can be around awhile.
  • Options
    AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    All these years and I didn't know you could stick a baby in the inventory. Doh! *slaps forehead, cackles and twirls evil mustache*

But seriously. I agree with your points on interaction and providing better cribs. Sims 2 had a decent selection of baby furniture and toys, 4 feels very rushed, similar to toddlers when they were first added.

What I most disliked is that as soon as my Sim left the room after feeding/giving them attention, they started crying, and have since used a mod to rectify this problem. However, the guessing game and babies in general has never really bothered me. Likely because there's much more important stuff I still want to see worked on first. Toddlers, imo, are a step worse as far as neediness goes. Personally, I think they could use more animations (i.e. drooling, gurgling noises, happy squeals, etc.) and perhaps a few different preset body sizes (there are chubby babies, lol), but that would probably require them to not be an object. Yeah, it's up in the air. Honestly, I don't expect much else from a baby, it's fairly realistic in the 'eating, sleeping, pooping' department.

On a lighter note and given this is the Sims franchise we're talking about, let's hope they don't overdo it in the future, causing them to turn out like Jack Jack...
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I hope when they do this update, they improve the looks of the babies also.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Like most here I don't hate them, but I don't like them either. It's such a bare bones lifestate you feed them, rock them and change them, that's it. Nothing is customisable about them and it misses out on some of the most common aspects of caring for a baby. Not being able to take them out is a bummer but in Sims 3 when we were able to I'd rather leave the kid at home cause it creeped me out (it squirmed alot in the pram kinda a fish out of water). Sims 2 probably had the best babies but it's just sad that it gets largely ignored.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    I LOVE Sims babies!

(You meant Sims 4 babies only? I don't blame the babies.)
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!