Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you guys think about the Sims 4 adoption?

I don't usually adopt a lot of kids in the Sims 4, but I recently had one of my single sims adopt two children. I love this feature and it really adds to a simmers ability to create a unique story. I think it is very realistic that you have to pay money to adopt a child since kids do cost a lot of money. However, since you are already having to pay for all of the kids furniture and toys yourself, plus having to consistently pay for their meals throughout childhood, I feel that charging $1,000 dollars for a kid makes it seem as if you are 'buying' a child. However, requiring someone to pay $1,00 dollars for a child can separate families who have enough money to care for a child, and those who don't. Besides that, I love that there are an equal amount of boys and girls. I also think that the Sims did a stand-up job of making sure everything about the children was random. I think it adds to the realisticity of adoption. Also, the fact that you don't have to wait a certain amount of time before adopting another child is great.

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I sometimes use the gender options to create infertile couples and have them adopt children -- it's a great option and it's interesting to see how the family tree looks. It is expensive to adopt a child -- a friend of mine adopted her younger child from Ethiopia and it cost a lot along with furniture and unlike The Sims 4 she couldn't just kaching the extra $1000. :D
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I have an infertile couple in my current game, they have had foster children, another couple, 2 men, adopted 3 children in this game. I actually use the adoption in the game quite often.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Hold on? Sims can be infertile??? unless you are talking about elders and same sex couples
  • Options
    Sims_4_ever_Sims_4_ever_ Posts: 143 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Hold on? Sims can be infertile??? unless you are talking about elders and same sex couples

Yes, it is an option in the customization button below the gender signs. There you can customize a number of things about your sim, such as what type of clothing they wear(men's, women's or both) which is a great feature because it allows your sims to create unisex outfits. Besides that, you can also choose whether your sim can get pregnant or get others pregnant. There is also a 'neither' option, which means that your sim can neither get pregnant nor get anyone else pregnant, which would essentially mean that they are infertile. There are a few other customizations you can find in this bar, but I won't list them all.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I disagree. It's expensive to adopt in real life too. I think adoption should be for financially middle , preferably upper middle class people anyway, so that children can go to nice homes and not live in poverty. So I think its fine to have the financial aspect.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I wish the adoption relationship was different. The game goes as far as saying half-siblings, so why can't we get adopted-siblings/child relationships in the game? This way the adopted child can have more parents, and they can meet their biological parent(s) for storytelling purposes.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I love how you can choose which one you want for sims and animals. You couldn't see them in the Sims3 and they were always cute, but I really love picking the one I like out of all of them. Sometimes, I create a new game just for adopting. :)
  • Options
    Infertile couples also do not have the try for baby option, fyi
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    All the adopted kids I've seen are ugly as sin, and IIRC you can't adopt children taken from other households by social workers. I just move whatever kids I want to adopt out of another household and move them in, or just create one from scratch.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    irishluck1986irishluck1986 Posts: 309 Member
    sunblond wrote: »
    I have an infertile couple in my current game, they have had foster children, another couple, 2 men, adopted 3 children in this game. I actually use the adoption in the game quite often.

How did they foster the children?
  • Options
    I have Parenthood, so I just move a kid into the household and have them adopt as care dependent.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

You can use the options from the gender patch that we got a few years ago to set Sims to Can Impregnate, Can Get Pregnant, or Neither. So just set one or both members of the couple to neither and pretty much Woohoo without consequence (Try For Baby option doesn't even show up). I've also used the option to give my Sims a "vasectomy" or "get the tubes tied" when I feel like they've had enough kids.

Gordy wrote: »
    All the adopted kids I've seen are ugly as sin, and IIRC you can't adopt children taken from other households by social workers. I just move whatever kids I want to adopt out of another household and move them in, or just create one from scratch.

Maybe I"m just lucky but I've had some very cute adoptees -- sometimes it's just a matter of a better hair style or a wardrobe adjustment and they look just fine.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I prefer to use the wishing well over adoption just because it's more fun but I see no issues with the adoption system as it is. It's doing its thing~
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I think there could be more depth to it. For example, irl you need to go through several checks from social workers and adoption agents before adopting a child. In the game, you leave and go get them and that's it. There's no acknowledgement of a former guardian at all which makes it seem weird. Heck, for buying pets with C&D, you have someone come to your house to bring you the animal. Yet for a child, you just leave out and come back with them with no other human involved. It's pretty backwards. For a video game it's fine, but I wouldn't be opposed to it getting more depth put into it.
  • Options
    I actually created a Social worker in the game using that new registry thing. She is friends and drops by to check on the foster children too.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Used adoption once. She grew up very pretty.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    Sims_4_ever_Sims_4_ever_ Posts: 143 Member
    I was playing as one of my 100 baby challenge kids, a YA who I'd moved out of the house, Violet. I got bored one day, and decided to have her check out the adoption center, "just for fun." Next thing I knew, Violet had adopted two kids, and had picked out the cutest child for her mom...I should have known, I should have known. Every time I try to 'just take a looksie' I end up with 17 children, 4 babies, and 3 toddlers....I even went back to her mom's house and had her adopt a child...True story.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited June 2019

Yes, all Sims can be set, under Gender options, to be neither able to impregnate, nor to become pregnant.

And same-sex couples can have genetic offspring, without cheats, expansions or mods, in TS4 base game.

Which brings me to adoption: I have not played with it, yet, because my married couple were able to have their own baby. I missed it in The Sims Medieval (although adoption as a social institution goes back to classical antiquity), where my same-sex couples were naturally infertile.

I am glad the option is in-game, and yes, the fees are realistic and appropriate.
  • Options
    trulyoutrageoustrulyoutrageous Posts: 245 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I wish the adoption relationship was different. The game goes as far as saying half-siblings, so why can't we get adopted-siblings/child relationships in the game? This way the adopted child can have more parents, and they can meet their biological parent(s) for storytelling purposes.

I always wished the same thing! I wish the game would fix its familial relationship system or whatever its called, lol.
    supersonic, simobotic, disconnected, not respected, who would ever really wanna go and top that?

tumblr_np8nzkY5xK1rkqz3ho9_r1_250.gif
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Unfortunately adoption is real life costs a lot of money, so it is realistic for me to have it that way in the game as well.

In RL, to put a price on a child in any circumstance is very disturbing. You used to give your child to family or relatives via via that you could trust, cause family bonds were very important and the core of every functioning society.
    We have come to the point where society can not 'give' children to others anymore, cause family connections have been lost and broken and trust is non-existence. It is a petty.
    The fact that a middle person who has nothing to do with it, should come between something so intimate and personal is.. again very disturbing to me.