Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Farming Expansion Pack Ideas

TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
The idea of a farming EP is beginning to gain more traction in the community after the Island Living announcement, and there are plenty of cool and new features I’m looking forward to.

There were already some hints that we have discovered and speculated in the past months and days, such as the new off-the-grid lot trait coming with the June patch, the cowboy / rancher with a horse painting in Stranger Ville, a reference of the chicken coop from the S3 Store in one of the object descriptions in Get Famous, and the barnyard painting in Seasons. Now ain’t these all hinting towards a farming pack?

Now, these are things I am hoping to come with an off-the-grid living expansion.

WORLD

The first big thing will be the new world which will have immersive environments and game changing features.
  • The new world will be having a countryside or rural feel to it which is based from Southern United States and South East Asia.
  • Introduction of a new and bigger lot size, I’m guessing 70x70 or bigger.
  • And the new world environment would which are sims are able to interact with similar to Sulani.
  • Another thing similar to the world of Sulani is to have uneven lots. Which would then give us the ability to plant on hilly locations and create terraces.
  • Noticeable new weather type: heavy drought, an intense weather that has a direct impact on water supply, crops, and animals.
  • One neighborhood should feature a total off-the-grid system e.g. no linear electricity and water pipes while the rest the neighborhoods are fully operational.

OFF-THE-GRID SYSTEM

With the addition of the off-the-grid lot trait coming this June, this ep could vastly improve the system and add new awesome gameplay to it.
  • Any lots that has this lot-trait will have a limited supply of resources or not have any of it at all. Also no reception and internet.
  • Sims may resort on water wells, solar panels, electric generators to provide these said resources.
  • This lot may not have a proper sewer system so sims may have to rely on “dry-toilets”
  • Sims could only refill their hygiene need by swimming in any body of water, portable showers, tubs, or showering in the rain.
  • Sims may have the option to not own a phone, finally!

FARM ANIMALS / LIVESTOCK

The farm animals could function very similarly to the hamsters from My First Pet Disaster, should be object tied and does not need to be that complex. Just think of the farming stuffs from the S3 Store. And means that we can directly buy them from bb mode.
  • Cows can be milked and processed for dairy products.
  • Chickens are tied to their chicken coops and can be harvested for eggs and meat. They can also be fed with seeds, play with kids, and be held by sims. Again, just think of MFP but on a much greater and decent level.
  • Pigs can be slaughtered in pieces for pork. Nah, just kidding. I guess they can be harvested through a rabbit hole object and processed for pork. Pigs can also be trained to hunt truffles similar in Stardew Valley.
  • Goats may function the same as cows but with different animations.
  • Sheeps can be sheared for their wools and harvested for muttons.
  • New harvestables are corn, wheat, sugar canes, rice, beetroot, oats, and peanuts.
  • Ability to build an actual vineyard and manufacture wines simply disguised as ‘juice’. Curse that T Rating!

FARMING MECHANISM
  • Be able to have functional silos where we can store our raw produce
  • Weather affects crops, too much heat withers the whole plantation or too much rain floods or drowns them.
  • Ability to raise mark up prices depending in season.
  • New industrial machines similar to the cupcake one we have in base game.
  • Pests could destroy your crops and you may have to purchase pest repellant to obliterate it.
  • Interactions on plants with the use of various tools lie pickaxe, sickle, hoe, etc.
  • Automatic Farming?

FARMER CAREERS

There will be plenty of work-from-home careers that our sims can apply for. Island Living comes with four WFH careers and introduced the ability to have odd-jobs. For this expansion, I’d want our sims to become a Crop Farmer, Animal Farmer, Cowboy (Horse Rancher) and an Aqua Culturer.
  • As a Crop Farmer, sims would be given a task to plant and harvest a batch of crops with a given deadline. Usually last for a week or two. There will be no exceptions even with droughts and pests or stuff like that. I mean, being a farmer is hard irl if you know what im saying, right?
  • Sims who are in the Animal Farmer Career would be required to run a livestock and harvest the products within the given amount of time.
  • Cowboy Sims should build and own a horse ranch business and…uh, what do cowboys do again? I literally have no idea.
  • The fishing system is probably getting an overhaul coming in June Patch but from what I have seen. It’d would only give us the ability to catch fish in fish traps which so lame and overhyped imo. This expansion is a great opportunity to introduce fish ponds. One that can be put in land and one in lakes or actual ponds.

HORSES

Now, without horses, this pack would sound like a game pack disguised as a full $40 expansion (Get Famous anyone?) In Island Living, Mermaids were finally introduced and comes as full occult life state with unique features and powers. Which is fair enough since mermaid is the only occult I can ever imagine to come in an expansion.
  • With this pack, horses could be finally introduced in the game! I would like my sims aged Child and above be able to ride and roam around the vast neighborhood.
  • Raise horses from calf to elder and be fed with Hay.
  • Cowboy sims may train them to do tricks and enter competitions. Not actual competitions tho, just think of we train our dogs and run them in obstacle courses in game.
  • Horses could be created in Create A Sim under the pets’ category. Borrow some mechanics from cats and dogs like the color wheel and trait system. Choose breeds and create exotic breeds.

CREATE A SIM
  • New Skills and Aspirations
  • New Traits
  • Clothing similar to StrangerVille and Laundry Day

B.B. MODE
  • Furniture Style similar to Laundry Day
  • New gates and fences
  • Silos

NEW INTERACTIVE OBJECTS
  • Water Wells
  • Solar Panels
  • Electric Generator
  • Water Tubs
  • Dry-Toilets
  • Silos
  • Placeable Fish Ponds
  • New Woohoo: Hay Stack
  • New Death: Mad Cow Disease
  • Fire Fly Lights
y'all got bread?
Post edited by TheIntrovertSimmer on

Comments

• cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited June 2019
    i'd like a mulch bin to do better fertilization in the game instead of doing one by one, would be a nice place to put trash and reuse it for later

also atvs and other farm/country vehicles.
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    i'd like a mulch bin to do better fertilization in the game instead of doing one by one, would be a nice place to put trash and reuse it for later

also atvs and other farm/country vehicles.

Recycling and Composting!
    y'all got bread?
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    I like ideas. Can you please add alpacas/llamas to the list? For fleece/wool gathering! Plus they're adorable and I have a full on alpaca fever right now, so I need them in my game. Also mermaid, witches, and fairies fever... haha
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 300 Member
    County fairs!! I’m a huge advocate for county fairs as a festival, where you can show off your livestock, sell produce, ride attractions, play games, and win prizes. 🤙💚
  • DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
    Wow I enjoyed reading majority of your ideas, I especially liked it if the pack has a South East Asian rural feeling because it'll look like my country like, a lot. Either way I'm still excited if they decide to make it like the American or European style, which is more likely to happen.

Talking about animals, I think most realistically they'll make chickens, cows and sheep. I don't think they will give us ability to kill an animal manually (other than hunting but maybe just for rodents). Goats might be included in the pack as an alternative source of milk, and I also see ducks and geese coming into the game as some other sources of eggs (maybe geese will play the role of guarding the farm).

I would also like to see some wild animals, pest or not, like wolves (kill livestock), wild hares (destroy crops) and deers. Maybe by that way werewolves could finally be included, even more possible if the game introduces a lunar phase system (for both farming/harvesting purpose and werewolves' transformation).

Horses, although not my most wanted element, but I could see them coming into the game with different sizes (big - horses, small - ponies). I think unicorns will be a possible addition too.

Other than farming, I personally also want some other jobs to do in the game. For example, there could be lumberjacks to cut woods from forest, for the sake of the Off The Grid lot trait so that they can start fire. I would like to see nectar making, food canning, fruit pickling, butter and cheese making and any other possible food proccessing methods to be added.

For electric generating, I want to see windmills, both traditional style and modern ones. Perhaps the traditional ones could just be a build mode feature where you can just add the wheels onto the wall of a finished building, or maybe just make it a large object, size of the telescope we have.

Oh and there's this thing I think would be a nice touch if it's ever a thing. Considering basic weathers (sunny, cloudy, rains and thunderstorms) to finally be patched for the sake of farming needs, I would like to see the pond tool to be added, where real floods caused by heavy rain is possible, and rainwater will accumulate at the lowlands or valleys. Building drains for water to flow away would be necessary, unless you are planting water paddy which requires a bit of water depth. Maybe we could have an overhauled terrain tool where you may choose the best soil to plant a certain crops, including clay, loam and more.
  • AuronoiChieftainAuronoiChieftain Posts: 362 Member
    These sound like good Ideas, but off the grid isn't just for Rustic kinds of people, off the grid could also mean more Modern/Futuristic versions as well, because if you have, for say, a good amount of batteries, you could essentially have a modern living, without utility bills (it'll be the more expensive option, which is why most people don't think of Renewable Energy really like an option for them). energy storage is a must, as well as options for people who want to go completely green, but don't want to run farms to do so.

Another feature could be (although mentioned, I feel more should be spoken about it) Aquaculture, it's not just harvesting fish, but using the Fish Waste as Fertilizer for Plants, the waste of the plants would feed the fish. It's a more modern way of looking at the Off the Grid Option, plus I personally feel Off the Grid would do better as a separate Game Pack, and Farming would still be an Expansion, but would not have all the features the Game Pack would offer (I personally am still sore about the Laundry day pack, I think maxis missed a Massive opportunity to create something great), as I for one would love not to pay Utility Bills, but I don't want to give up Modern Amenities at the same time, as I don't think I'd be able to live without my Computer and other Electronics.
  • isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
    Love it! Only a few other things I’d want:

•Firewood- Cut down trees (new intractable trees... maybe sims and cats can climb them too), chop and stack wood, then use it in fireplaces for emotional boosts. Or use the wood at the woodworking station to craft new furniture.

•Canning/Preserves- Store harvestables in jars, pickle vegetables and fish, make jams/spreads.

•Brewing and Wine Making- I mean, sims medieval had wine and beer without loosing the T rating! Grow hops, wheat, and grapes.

•Farmers Markets- Buy or sell harvestables, busk for tips, gossip with your neighbors from down the road.

•Pests/Animals- Rats, rabbits, and coyotes that harass livestock and steal harvestables.

• Build mode assets for trailers/mobile homes.

As for the world- dont forget the dirt roads, a five mile house bar, winding creeks, and townie sims with strong personalities (rednecks and hippies make for a great mix in small towns!).
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I agree with all of this! I think canning/preserves, wine making, farmers markets, county fair would work well too!

Also baby horses are called foals--colts for male and filly for female. :)
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Imma see on November if this thing happens. lol.
    y'all got bread?
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    County fairs!! I’m a huge advocate for county fairs as a festival, where you can show off your livestock, sell produce, ride attractions, play games, and win prizes. 🤙💚

I'd love to see county fairs as wel! We REALLY need new types of venues,and the county fair could be a new venue type. No more putti ng boring base game venues in future packs,please,EA-the base game venues have gotten so dull and not very fun anymore.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • AnyahsAnyahs Posts: 36 Member
    Would also like a sewing/knitting skill. I need a farming pack so bad you don't understand. Q_Q also I'd like to see new plot styles for farming. Rows would be one. Long, thin boxes would be another (instead of a square box it would be a rectangle, either 2, 4, or 6 spots). And maybe large plots that you would start in the spring and harvest in the fall... that would represent fields. We don't have Cucumbers do we? We need those too. I really hope if we do get one we'll get a few different breeds of each animal. Like, 3 types or colors of cows, black and white sheep, different chicken breeds so you can get blue, green, brown, and white eggs, etc. Also... I don't think we have the option to make soup do we? Eating chicken noodle soup when you have a cold could help your health.

The fact that a farming pack could bring so much to the game but still hasn't been done is so sad. I think sending animals to a butcher would be fine, maybe give it a different name. I mean we just cook the fish we catch, why not? Beef, Pork, Chicken, Duck, Goose, turkey. If you own a farm and are a baker/chef, the byproduct from your farm or local farmers market could improve your meals and give it the "home grown" moodlet.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I'd like a pack like this... maybe. As you say, farming is hard work, as is ranching (aka - Animal Farming. And Cowboys take care of beef cattle, not horses. Thus why they're "Cow" boys. A horse farm is just a horse ranch.) And I'm not sure how real I'd want that work to be in a game I play to relax.

But it will all be worth it if we can get horses and county fairs.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited August 2019
    I love this so much! Just include Nectar Making from fruits and this would be my dream come true!

latest?cb=20160330200011
    a256aFi.gif
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I love a lot of these ideas and I really want a farming pack. For me I would prefer the theme of country living a bit like in Sims 3 pets which I felt had a farming feel to the build buy content. Also it would be cool to have tractors roaming around and even better if sims could drive them. I would love to interact with animals and as they have done that with dolphins in island living I think this could be implemented in a farming pack and expanded upon.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    edited August 2019
    A County Fair Expansion Pack would be pretty cool! They could add carnival rides and games, farm animals, and stadium events like tractor pulls or rodeos. And, ugh, food stands which we don't need more of (unless they look like food trucks instead of stands?). A new world could be named [Something] County and it's huge but super empty, super rural, with tons of fields in the background between lots (because I don't see Sims ever being able to plant, tend and harvest multiple acres of corn, wheat, or hay).

Then again, I'm from rural USA so county fairs have a cultural significance here. Would Simmers from overseas find the same appeal?

ETA: Plus, a new fairgrounds lot type, obviously
    And as far as carnival rides, I'm already feeling nauseous thinking about a carousel or ferris wheel in first person camera mode.

I kept editing this post so much I decided to make it its own thread.
    Post edited by jadonbakes on
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    If there are ever cows in the game, I would dearly love there to be cheese and butter-making (let’s have the butter churn from TS1 back please), along with eggs of different grades from chickens, and vineyards with wine-making. It might even be nice to have products come due in different seasons (based on the life cycles of their originating produce): Eggs and butter in spring and summer, cheese and jams in summer and fall, wine in fall and maple syrup or something wintry in late winter or early spring.

If there ever are cows, there should also be a system whereby better quality milk (the result of taking really good care of your cows) would allow sims to produce different kinds and levels of cheeses (which could be aged for different lengths of time and in different ways). These could be sold, used in existing recipes to improve their quality and taste, and also used in a range of new recipes as well.

Someone mentioned bringing back canned fruits and preserves from previous games — I agree wholeheartedly that they should definitely do this. I would also like to see jams, jellies, chutneys and pickles be included in the game, along with a few new harvestables to serve as ingredients and new recipes to showcase them. (So we could have blueberries, raspberries and cucumbers which could then be turned into jams and pickles, and then into jam tarts or pies, or pickle chips or salads).

I love the idea previously mentioned of a Country Fair or Farmer’s market. The Country fair could be a new festival or even a holiday. This could lead to the idea of a product or produce quality competition at a country fair, which could be excellent if done right. Sims could win blue ribbons or other kinds of awards by entering their best milks, creams, cheeses, butters, preserves, jams, wines/ nectars, in a variety of competitions. If their produce and products were to win (and this shouldn’t be easy or automatic), Sims could be rewarded by having that product (or maybe even all their goods) sell for more sImoleons and by seeing their reputations improve. This could perhaps even givie them some further perks to help with their farms. (Organically grown or developed goods could take more effort or time, but could ultimately turn out to be of a higher quality and taste, and thus be more rewarded in competition and price).

Fun activities at the country fair could include some or all of the following: (countrified) rides (like a log ride or carousel) for all ages, simple chance or skill games with prizes, eating contests (like those in TS3), apple-bobbing, pole-climbing, ax-throwing, craft-making, dunking or kissing booths and, of course, new food carts with country food (like bacon or sausage on a bun, corn dogs, funnel cakes, barbecue chicken., cotton candy, cheese curds or poutine, tacos, mini donuts and snow cones).

It shouldn’t all be about skill and fun, either, but difficulty and chance should be present too. I love the idea of drought as a new weather type that could really screw things up. In early Spring or Fall, there could also be unexpected hard frosts, which could damage or kill plants or ruin harvestables. We could finally get hail back again, which could also damage crops or injure animals left outside. Remember the rabbits that ate plants in TS1? And there were mice too. They could come back, and well trained attack dogs or cats could chase them off.

What about swarms of aphids, grasshoppers or locusts or other pests? These could be dealt with chemically, with a certain set of consequences, or organically (with more effort and planning but with certain benefits). Bees could be made more important than ever, too, used to help pollinate slow or stubborn plants.

If we ever do get farming I hope it is both challenging and fun.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think we should have an overhaul on cooking to encourage using fresh ingredients - Normal and Good quality meals don't give Happy moodlets, only Excellent and Outstanding give moodlets, and Outstanding food can only be made with fresh ingredients you have. If we get cooking/baking contests, this would also encourage people to grow their own ingredients. The more fresh ingredients you use, the more likely you are to win.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    Gordy wrote: »
    I think we should have an overhaul on cooking to encourage using fresh ingredients - Normal and Good quality meals don't give Happy moodlets, only Excellent and Outstanding give moodlets, and Outstanding food can only be made with fresh ingredients you have. If we get cooking/baking contests, this would also encourage people to grow their own ingredients. The more fresh ingredients you use, the more likely you are to win.

What a good idea! It might also be interesting and more challenging to have it so that certain dishes could not be made if a key ingredient was missing (like Walleye surprise or Fish pie currently). Sims would have to travel to a farmer’s market or a grocery store (!) to get the necessary and really good quality ingredients. Of course, homegrown produce, well fertilized, organically tended and carefully nurtured through the elements, should be the best of all, (as you suggested).
  • LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    We have had City Living and now Island Living, I think we will get Country Living to round out the set. We may even at some point get Future Living because Grant mentioned liking the idea of a futuristic pack a year or so ago on Twitter. All of the above ideas would be great for Country Living, looking after animals, country fairs and crafts, new recipes, new clothes and BB objects and of course growing a variety of crops.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    LMcGE wrote: »
    We have had City Living and now Island Living, I think we will get Country Living to round out the set. We may even at some point get Future Living because Grant mentioned liking the idea of a futuristic pack a year or so ago on Twitter. All of the above ideas would be great for Country Living, looking after animals, country fairs and crafts, new recipes, new clothes and BB objects and of course growing a variety of crops.

i would LOVE that, future living could bring back plumbots
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The new world will be having a countryside or rural feel to it which is based from Southern United States and South East Asia.
    I don't like that idea.
    I want a rural English countryside inspired world.
    Or an Australian or New Zealand inspired farm world.

Any lots that has this lot-trait will have a limited supply of resources or not have any of it at all. Also no reception and internet.
    or only able to get reception from the top of a hill.

Goats may function the same as cows but with different animations.
    Goats can be shorn, just as sheep can be. Where do you think Mohair comes from?
    Sheeps can be sheared for their wools and harvested for muttons.
    I doubt they'd include any animals for meat.
    New harvestables are corn, wheat, sugar canes, rice, beetroot, oats, and peanuts.
    Unusual combination of harvestables.

Rice requires special conditions, making it a bit too complicated to include.
    And peanuts are a really weird inclusion... Why not include macadamia nuts too?
    Ability to build an actual vineyard and manufacture wines simply disguised as ‘juice’. Curse that T Rating!
    The ability to create a 'yeasty brew' could also be included, using wheat or oats.

For this expansion, I’d want our sims to become a Crop Farmer, Animal Farmer, Cowboy (Horse Rancher) and an Aqua Culturer.
    Why not a mixed farmer? They're pretty common around here.
    And why only 'cowboy'? Why not Jakaroo and Jillaroo, too?

As a Crop Farmer, sims would be given a task to plant and harvest a batch of crops with a given deadline. Usually last for a week or two. There will be no exceptions even with droughts and pests or stuff like that. I mean, being a farmer is hard irl if you know what im saying, right?
    How would that work with the seasons? You can't grow crops out of season, so the deadline would have to be realistically placed around the end of harvest time. You couldn't have a deadline at a time before the crops have grown or been harvested.

Cowboy Sims should build and own a horse ranch business and…uh, what do cowboys do again? I literally have no idea.
    They're not called horseboys. They're called cowboys for a reason.
    In Australia, they're known as Jackaroos and Jillaroos, or Stockmen (as the senior position), they ride horses to cover larger distances faster, while caring for livestock such as sheep and cattle.

Raise horses from calf to elder and be fed with Hay.
    A baby cow is a calf, a baby horse is a foal.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited August 2019
    I believe we should have a farmers market where all fruits and vegetables can be sold at normal quality. If you have a pack that carries that fruit or vegetable it should be included too, not just base game fruits. Our sims who aren’t gardeners should be able to buy normal fruit to put in their fridges, or inventories.
  • simmietimesimmietime Posts: 103 Member
    My biggest worry with a farming pack is that we wont be able to process the animals for meat, because the devs may be afraid of offending people. Personally id be pointless if we could keep cows and chickens but not eat them.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    simmietime wrote: »
    Personally id be pointless if we could keep cows and chickens but not eat them.
    Plenty of farmers keep cows and chickens for purposes other than eating them.
    Have you never heard of dairy farms, and egg farms?

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    simmietime wrote: »
    My biggest worry with a farming pack is that we wont be able to process the animals for meat, because the devs may be afraid of offending people. Personally id be pointless if we could keep cows and chickens but not eat them.

Worst case, modders can make a meat mod unofficially on the side after release. I'd never use it myself personally because, although I love eating meat, I'd not want to kill my sims farm pets so yeah xD