Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How badly will June 18's patch break CC and mods?

So I've been seeing a LOT of discussion and rumors floating about how the upcoming patch and changes for the expansion might completely destroy mods tomorrow.

So far I've heard that a lot of clothing CC will be broken now because of tanlines - although I'm unclear if that just means the tan won't appear correctly or if it actually breaks the CC in some way.

That poses and animations, plus the pose player will break because of a structure change to the sims bodies because of mermaids - this I'm not sure about. Sims 3 had mermaids added and it didn't effect pre-existing poses or animations so not sure why it would this time but...

Then it also appears their is a chance all pie menu extensions will be broken due to some change, meaning mods that add new interactions via the pie menu won't appear anymore. I'm not sure why this is or if its true but it will break a LOT of mods.

Outside of that it sounds like there might be a lot of other things this patch will effect....OR not at all.

I'm just getting into the Sims and built the specific mods/CC folder I want to use. Most of my mods at things to sims life or little interactions like take shoes off indoor residence lots. But i DO use pose player a lot and I have a lot of CC makeup and accessories like wedding rings.

So I think I might just play Sims 4 offline tomorrow and do a wait and see...

What do you think fellow community? Do you think tomorrows patch is gonna break a ton of mods with all its new features and changes?

Will you be holding off updating?

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited June 2019
    The outlook for CC clothes is actually good. Most CC is not expected to break. CC that has proper alpha channels will even work with tanning/burning. CC without proper alpha channels won't but isn't expected to complete break. It sounds like even skins might survive, mostly! @SimGuruMorgan's posts are all gathered here under CAS & CC.

It's typical that MCCC partly breaks, UI Cheats Extension breaks, More CAS Columns breaks, Pose Player breaks, and @Neia's career-building tool breaks, along with custom careers (which are easy to update once she gets a chance to update the tool). Generally speaking, updates on most are fast (@Neia has needed extra time recently). I'm anticipating typical but not cataclysmic breakage. I do know that some modders are on holidays so there may be some update delays because of that.

Of what you're using, I most expect Pose Player to break.

Edited to add a link for anyone seeing your post who might benefit from it. I'll be tracking here starting tomorrow: Broken/Updated Mods & CC: Island Living + June 2019 patch. SimsVIP also tracks, and there's some tracking and individual support on @Deaderpool's Discord server.

My own approach is to back up my Saves, pull out my Mods, and update. Then once I take out the known broken mods, I'm a Bad Simmer and put the rest in to see what's broken. I don't play my regular saves until I've got enough working/updated that key things in it won't get borked up too badly.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I don't think it'll break any worse than usual. I typically play offline and download the updates of mods until I can replace everything.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Broken/Updated Mods & CC: Island Living + June 2019 patch. SimsVIP also tracks, and there's some tracking and individual support on @Deaderpool's Discord .

Thanks for the link to your thread, I've noticed people have commented for a while that poseplayer will break but each time they do it seems fine. Andrew hasn't updated it since last year/get famous. Lets hope if it does break he's still around to fix it.

I scanned through the tweets you linked too and can't find reference to why people think the pie menu is going to break for a lot of mods that need it. You don't recall seeing a reason do you? I know last months patch broke them until they hot fixed it.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I think the only time mods got really broken was when they updated from Python 3.3 to 3.7 (if I remember correctly). There was the "missing text" issue as well but that was breaking only description, not functionality, due to some background changes.
    In other words: unless there's a major change to how the mod/CC code is processed, I don't expect stuff to be broken much. I'll just back up my mods and save folder, update what I can, and just wing it and see (worst case, I'll load backed-up saves when they are fixed).
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    eh they've been destroyed before. Not a big deal. The mods will be updated in no time.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    Bit of speculation until we actually know what will be updated, do we know yet? I've been searching for patch notes but guess they'll come once the patch does come.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »
    I don't think it'll break any worse than usual. I typically play offline and download the updates of mods until I can replace everything.

Also same. Or I play with some updated mods that I like more and take the outdated ones out that i don't use as much and put them back once updated.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    It is mainly script mods that will break. However, I am sure we may need to do a cloth purge for Island Living tan feature.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Does anyone know if gallery poses will break? Also, if you remove gallery poses, will Sims that you already have on the gallery be affected (i.e. will they change their poses in the pictures on them on the gallery?)
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Does anyone know if gallery poses will break? Also, if you remove gallery poses, will Sims that you already have on the gallery be affected (i.e. will they change their poses in the pictures on them on the gallery?)

Definitely not. They are already uploaded, what you do on your computer has no effect on them.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

Definitely not. They are already uploaded, what you do on your computer has no effect on them.

@Netzspannung thank you so much! In that case I’ll probably delete my gallery poses just to be safe :)
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited June 2019
    @MaggieMarley I sometimes use gallery poses and I use CAS poses all the time. I always like to move them out of the mods folder when I don't use them. Not that there's any harm really, but I don't like to burden my game with more cc than necessary.
    Oh, and don't forget to delete the file localthumbcache.package when you remove cc to avoid any issues.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    The clothing won't be broken (like it probably won't crash the game usually), tan and burns just won't work properly if they don't have the alpha channels set correctly or something. Usually you can tell if cc isn't the best when in CAS as they often conflict with other clothing and accessories, etc...

Mods will probably break as most do. Some modders are pretty quick to update; but give them time.
  • EspeonLuver93EspeonLuver93 Posts: 21 Member
    So? Does anybody know what time the patch is coming out? I wanna make sure that my mods won't break as I have quite a few of them. It seems like clothing won't be effected, but will hair and build and buy CC be effected? And should I remove my downloaded lots as well?
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    So? Does anybody know what time the patch is coming out? I wanna make sure that my mods won't break as I have quite a few of them. It seems like clothing won't be effected, but will hair and build and buy CC be effected? And should I remove my downloaded lots as well?

10 am pacific time i believe
  • Clementine_TeaClementine_Tea Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2019

Build and Buy and hairs will be ok, but I'd remove mods to be on the safe side. I don't think downloaded lots will be effected.
    tumblr_n43w4pCOm11sf2cljo1_400.jpg

Build and Buy and hairs will be ok, but I'd remove mods to be on the safe side. I don't think downloaded lots will be effected.

You should [in theory] always move your mods folder to the desktop when updating because they can break your game. Always keep a copy of the mods folder and on the desktop so that you don't break your game when updating.
  • Clementine_TeaClementine_Tea Posts: 20 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »

You should [in theory] always move your mods folder to the desktop when updating because they can break your game. Always keep a copy of the mods folder and on the desktop so that you don't break your game when updating.

I always have a backup on my desktop- I remove mods like UI Cheats and MC Command Center since they can mess up your game pretty bad if it's not the latest version. I found that CC like clothing and makeup don't mess up the game, however.
    tumblr_n43w4pCOm11sf2cljo1_400.jpg
  • EspeonLuver93EspeonLuver93 Posts: 21 Member
    Thank you @cheescaeks, @LilMissSimmer5678, and @Goth583 for your quick replies. I've already moved all of my mods onto my desktop and now just playing the waiting game. Unfortunately, I live in the Eastern Time Zone so I have to wait until 1 pm for the update. :(
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Little Miss Sam updated one of her mods yesterday. Would she need to update it again after today?
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
    Possibly, if it is a script mod, but if its a tiny mod she may not need to.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm curious cause this will actually be the first patch since I started playing with custom content and a few mods. Is the patch going to remove my cc items and break the way I've designed some of my sims?
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm curious cause this will actually be the first patch since I started playing with custom content and a few mods. Is the patch going to remove my cc items and break the way I've designed some of my sims?

Custom content (clothing, hair, items) RARELY breaks with a patch but mods are the one you need to check to see if it needs updating. I would go to the creators' sites that you got your few mods to find out if the patch broke those specific mods. Sometimes you don't need to update anything.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

If it's made correctly no, but when you boot up the game right after an update, the setting for mods/cc will be set to OFF, so you'll have to fix that before you can play.