Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Flat roof?

pchapmanpchapman Posts: 260 Member
I am trying to build a Spanish stucco type house and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do a flat roof. Do I just using ceiling tiles? I don't see a flat roof option under roofs. Building in Sims 4 is sure different than Sims 3, but the longer I do it the more I like it save some texturing issues. Thanks!
Origin ID for Sims 4: patti2297
Follow me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/27640240@N08/

Comments

• PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    I'm trying to do a flat roof, too! Anybody?
  • simsimbensimsimben Posts: 96 Member
    You just use the ceiling tiles. I'm pretty sure you can add some different tiles at the top to make it more like a roof.
    312zgpx.jpg
  • QuelsimmyQuelsimmy Posts: 531 Member
    Maybe place a roof and bring it down to the lowest setting possible?
  • peacemaker_icpeacemaker_ic Posts: 1,878 Member
    To do a flat roof, you first need to create a ceiling for the boxes underneath, then take the foundation box from the build section (the one with no walls on the thumbnail) then place and drag where you want your flat roof to be. Then this will allow you to place the cornices/architraves to this box to cover the tile edge.

Another bonus I have found is you can actually apply some, if not all, of the roof patterns as flooring for your roof or elsewhere. Select to roof style you want then apply it to the flooring you just placed. I recently used it in my latest creation and works a treat.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    If you prefer a thicker flat roof and/or don't want edging that sticks out, you can select the hipped roof style and flatten it completely and then apply the inlaid exterior trim. It works quite well if you choose a dark colors, which is what I needed for my current modern WIP.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • MandyAmandyMandyAmandy Posts: 51 Member
    I just drew a fence around the top of my house and let it auto fill the space in it then just deleted the fence.
  • darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    so far, I have been just using the floor tool and then use a low fence as a border.
  • WicCaesarWicCaesar Posts: 67 Member
    Many creative ideas! Thank you!
    SIMGNATURE.png
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    I just made a third floor without walls for a rooftop patio, but that was only because it was a work-around for roof glitch I encountered. It still worked out for me.

09-04-14_9-04nbspPM_zpsd85fbd1e.png

09-04-14_8-20nbspPM_zps3db50a10.png

• pchapmanpchapman Posts: 260 Member
    Some wonderful ideas, thanks to all of you. I will have to give these ideas a try. I had sort of given up on the flat roof idea at the moment. Now, I am eager to give it a try again!

I just made a third floor without walls for a rooftop patio, but that was only because it was a work-around for roof glitch I encountered. It still worked out for me.

Love it!!

• KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    For top floor roofs, you can take the hipped roof and flatten it all the way down. Unfortunately, if you're going to be attaching it to other floors (say it's a porch roof, and there's a floor above it), it will leave an artifact that wall coverings won't cover up - like a black line along the baseboard.
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

To do a flat roof, you first need to create a ceiling for the boxes underneath, then take the foundation box from the build section (the one with no walls on the thumbnail) then place and drag where you want your flat roof to be. Then this will allow you to place the cornices/architraves to this box to cover the tile edge.

Another bonus I have found is you can actually apply some, if not all, of the roof patterns as flooring for your roof or elsewhere. Select to roof style you want then apply it to the flooring you just placed. I recently used it in my latest creation and works a treat.

I can't seem to figure out how to add foundation to anything but the first floor since I think I have to have the walls built before the foundation will go down? Possibly I am missing something though in your explanation on how to do it.

• darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    pchapman wrote: »

I can't seem to figure out how to add foundation to anything but the first floor since I think I have to have the walls built before the foundation will go down? Possibly I am missing something though in your explanation on how to do it.

Yes. before you can do foundations, you have to have a room built. then you can raise the foundation. and here is a pic of my house with flat roofs.

27wxhtv.jpg

29dcxv9.jpg
    edited September 2014

Yes. before you can do foundations, you have to have a room built. then you can raise the foundation. and here is a pic of my house with flat roofs.

Darkside,

Wow, that is really good, I mean really good! The part you have on the top, I know where it is, but on my build I cannot seem to get it to work so this is the roof I finally went with. I spent hours making this tiny house. :smile:

15169860661_084c459617.jpg

I also seem to be having trouble getting pictures to post. ( Crosses fingers)
    Post edited by pchapman on

• zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    I built a 3rd floor directly on top of the 2nd floor (same exact size and shape). Then replaced the 3rd floor walls with fencing (was unable to just place fencing without wall ? Will have to experiment with this more). This is my very first sims 4 build so it's a learning experience.

That gave me a flat roof on top of the 2nd floor surrounded by a fence. In Willow Creek a lot of the houses have roofs like this.

But I noticed it actually created a 3rd floor, the game considered it a 3rd floor. And from world view you could SEE a weird floating 3rd floor flat roof. I remembered reading in a different thread that I can't seem to find now something about the sledgehammer tool! I sledgehammered the 3rd floating roof! Thank goodness.

I've been entering the other pre-made houses to look at their roofs and sure enough it looks like it was made the same way!

I am however, concerned IF seasons EP were added, would this "roof" keep the rain and snow out???
  • MemeDuckIzLitMemeDuckIzLit Posts: 1 New Member
    I made a room on top of my house with the room tool and i deleted the walls on the top of my house and it made a flat roof
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    edited June 2019
    zorba2357 wrote: »
    But I noticed it actually created a 3rd floor, the game considered it a 3rd floor. And from world view you could SEE a weird floating 3rd floor flat roof. I remembered reading in a different thread that I can't seem to find now something about the sledgehammer tool! I sledgehammered the 3rd floating roof! Thank goodness.

I've been entering the other pre-made houses to look at their roofs and sure enough it looks like it was made the same way!

I am however, concerned IF seasons EP were added, would this "roof" keep the rain and snow out???

As long as the ceiling is intact (no holes) it will keep the weather out in Seasons. Notice that a roof and a ceiling are different things. Roof alone doesn't protect from the weather, the interior ceiling does.

You don't need to sledgehammer the floating ceiling and/or floor, although it's the quickest way, it may also cause unwanted additional loss as it may actually remove the entire room instead the ceiling and/or floor. The safest way to do it, is to click the room active, get your view in such an angle so that you can touch the ceiling or floor with your cursor without touching the walls (notice, you can't see the ceiling, if you don't "page up" to the level above the active room), then simply click the ceiling and choose "remove ceiling" and it clears the ceiling from the active room. (Notice that if you add a roof to the room without the ceiling, weather will come inside in Seasons pack.) Same with floor, however, unlike with ceilings, the floor option is found on the same level as the active room - click the floor without touching the walls and choose "remove floor" and it will remove the floor leaving walls and ceiling intact. (If you'd sledgehammer the floor, it would delete the entire room.) Also with this exact same way you can add floor and/or ceiling to an active room :)

If you use the cheat bb.showhiddenobjects, you get a ready flat roof in the roof catalog - basically the very same 3x3 square foundation tool found in foundations and works the same way.. it just shows in the roof section ^^

• Apricot6644Apricot6644 Posts: 1 New Member
    You build your four walls, then you go up one floor, then select the room. You'll see a yellow highlight around the top. Select that, and select "build roof." It automatically puts a flat roof if you use the auto-box tool.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey! It's awesome you're putting in how you were able to do it so as to help other users but unfortunately this thread is a bit old so I'm going to close it off. If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top