Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help game files out of order after downloading the sims 3 game again

crunchies4mecrunchies4me Posts: 30 Member
hi everyone, hope all is well with everyone. My question is about game files. I had to reinstall the sims 3 game and in my attempt to transfer downloads etc. I must have mixed up the files so now it says the game is no longer installe.

Does anyone know what files go where and what files should be there exactly because Hopefully If I put them back in their right locations I won't have to reinstall. With my internet it takes 2 or 3+ days. Thanks everyone!!!
Post edited by crunchies4me on

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2019
    The installation procedure involves only the Program Files, seen as Program Files(x86) on 64-bit systems, not the user added content. The TS3 user game folder in Documents is not part of that and is actually expendable. If you remove the TS3 user game folder entirely (or rename it), a new one will spawn to take its place on the next startup of the game, just with no added content or prior game saves in it. With the exceptions of editing things like sgr files and putting custom remakes/fixes of EP worlds in place, we aren't meant to be tinkering around with the Program Files.

Most often the Windows Registry needs to be cleaned after an uninstall but before a reinstall takes place because otherwise remnants of the prior install will stay behind and get in the way. If you never got the reinstalled game to launch successfully, this might be the missing step. We usually recommend Piriform's CCleaner for this task, the free version is fine.

But when it comes to Program Files, it's not a matter of knowing what goes where exactly. The installers have to put things in their correct places and inform Origin (if relevant) and the operating system of where they all are or either the game cannot run or it cannot be authenticated on startup.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • crunchies4mecrunchies4me Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what happened in that case. Originally something happened that the game unistalled or I deleted the incorrect sim 3 download. So I installed it again and I got as far as the main menu when it said origin needs to be downloaded in order to play.

I don't know what could have happened for it to say that suddenly. I messed with the files in an attempt to re do my mods I had several different sim 3 download files. . I'm guessing then that I must have confused the incorrect ones with the latest instalation causing me be unable to locate the actual instalation... 😩 I've got sim 3 files and such all over the place. I have attempted to figure out which was old and new. Again messing with the files and confusing the old with the new.

All I know now is that I've messed with the files confusing the old and new trying to transfer mods to them but I obviously went wrong somewhere. 😩 I guess if I can't sort out the old instalation files from the most recent instalation I'm going to have to download all over again...get rid of all files and such completely so the only files on my computer is the ones that came with the instalation. But I'm hoping I can sort this out as to not need to go thru more days of downloading to reinstall. It's been smooth sealing for a while now until this situation.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Is this even supposed to be an Origin controlled installation or is the game from some other source like retail store discs?

If Origin, you might try an Origin based Repair Game on TS3. But if not or if that doesn't help, this "all over the place" thing suggests you might have too much of a mess on your hands to sort out any other way than secure your user game files (if they are important to you), uninstall, clean registry, install again from scratch.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net