Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play the sims with volume off? Or listen to shows, podcasts or music while playing?

Comments

• MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    I turn volume low and listen to or watch something else
    I usually turn on Spotify and relax. I love ts4 because of how relaxing it is.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited June 2019
    I turn volume off and listen to or watch something else
    I could never play the game with the sound on, because I love playing while I listen to music and the two conflicting sounds would get on my nerves. The only sound that really comes out of my game are the sims' voices, just so I know what's happening. I have everything else turned off.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I keep volume on and i dont listen to or watch other things
    Sometimes I turn the volume off if I spend a long time in CAS or build mode and the music starts to get tedious but I don't put any other music on.
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    Usually I have the sound off, only because my boyfriend plays his games so loud that there’s no point!

Otherwise, I’ll have the volume low and probably also be listening to music or a podcast, or tv in the background.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I almost always turn the volume off. Sometimes I listen to or watch something else. Mostly, I just turn off the game sounds because I don't hear them very well anyway.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    I turn the sims music off and play my own. (BTS! BTS!) Also sometimes I try to watch tv shows while playing, but end up missing half of whats happening.
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • DragonGirl643DragonGirl643 Posts: 90 Member
    I play with volume sometimes, but I usually play without volume and don’t listen to anything else.
    why are my sims games so weird?
  • ThePocketWeaselThePocketWeasel Posts: 103 Member
    It really depends. Some days I'll play the game and not listen to anything else, other days I'll listen to a podcast at the same time. I don't tend to listen to podcasts that require me to be concentrating really hard because I'll miss bits here and there. I'm a newbie to building, so whenever I build I'll probably be looking at a few videos and different website for inspiration and how-tos.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I only turned off the music. It's hard for me to concentrate with that going.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It really depends. Sometimes I play with the volume on and sometimes I play with it off.
  • SilvyrRainSilvyrRain Posts: 20 Member
    I'm too new to the game to play without sound or with something playing. So, for now, I just leave the sound on and listen to it, especially since I have so many things to experience, so I want to hear the sounds. Later on, I may start listening to my own music while playing. We'll see.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited June 2019
    There's not really an option for this, but a lot of times I play with the volume off and no other sound going. I find the quiet relaxing. :)

I usually turn the volume up when there's a big event going on--a wedding or birthday or something like that.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited June 2019
    I sometimes raise the voices a bit but no music ever. I tend to reduce the game to minimum and browse the internet, read emails, watch TV occasionally and during playing as well.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I have voices off, but everything else on.
    When I play I usually run a story in my head, so I have little capacity for listening/watching other things during play.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I keep the game's music off, but I keep the rest of the sounds on. In previous Sims games, I needed to listen for the sound of the carpool arriving, and now it just feels off when I can't hear what's going on. It drove me nuts listening to the music in CAS and Build Mode though, and Sims playing musical instruments badly or a limited number of songs on the radio.

I'm happiest with my own music on, but still able to listen to my Sims' household do their thing.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    how is it even possible to play when you can't hear things!?

Also I don't watch TV ever and I never run the internet at the same time as I play cause I don't wanna kill my laptop.

Very simple -- I can hear the game. The number of audio queues for Sims games in particular is very small. I'm not playing a multiplayer shooter, a fighting game or a raid in an MMO where I need to listen for said queues as they come in rapid succession. The Sims games are a slow, more meditative experience, and one that meshes nicely with listening to NPR or Critical Role.
    no but you can still hear it. I mean when you turn it off!?
    I have the radio playing in my sim house so I can hear music but the game sounds too, so it's the same as yours but when it's completely off? It wouldn't be immersive enough for me and I couldn't play.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    how is it even possible to play when you can't hear things!?

Also I don't watch TV ever and I never run the internet at the same time as I play cause I don't wanna kill my laptop.

Very simple -- I can hear the game. The number of audio queues for Sims games in particular is very small. I'm not playing a multiplayer shooter, a fighting game or a raid in an MMO where I need to listen for said queues as they come in rapid succession. The Sims games are a slow, more meditative experience, and one that meshes nicely with listening to NPR or Critical Role.
    no but you can still hear it. I mean when you turn it off!?
    I have the radio playing in my sim house so I can hear music but the game sounds too, so it's the same as yours but when it's completely off? It wouldn't be immersive enough for me and I couldn't play.

listening to other things actually keeps me more focused and less bored. I am known to get sleepy while playing the sims and having something else playing helps curb that :p
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    The soundscape in Sims 4 is fabulous, even to the point of different shoes making different sounds on different surfaces. I'd miss that if I was listening to someone else. The sound is great for immersion.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    The soundscape in Sims 4 is fabulous, even to the point of different shoes making different sounds on different surfaces. I'd miss that if I was listening to someone else. The sound is great for immersion.

I get sleepy , listening to just the sims . In fact i become bored much more quickly. Once I started listening to narrations of stories and stuff it saved my "simming". But I see what you mean <3
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I keep the volume on and sometimes will watch tv (especially if just in cas or building), I have turned off music for cas, build, etc....because of glitches.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Music off, volume on. And by music, I mean loading screen/CAS/BB. I will occasionally listen to a podcast or attempt to watch TV, but usually, it's just me and the game sounds!
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    I can't handle not having the volume. Without volume I can't here a baby or toddler crying or listen to my Sims play music. Also, seeing mouths move and not hearing anything drives me crazy. I have to have my headphones in so that there is sound. I need sound. They game is just less satisfying without it. Also, it really does make caring for children harder without sound. I know the icon changes colors based on their distress, but it is easier just being able to hear it and know.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Volume on and earphones. Especially love the sound of rain and thunderstorms.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    I tend to go between only listening to my game, and having the volume low while listening to music, maybe a podcast. I really love the sounds of the game though. Except for when babies cry. I zoom like, all the way out as fast as possible so I can take care of it while also not hearing it 😂
  • xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    I usually only turn the volume off and listen to music when I’m building or in CAS.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!