Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should the next Sims game go above the T rating?

Comments

• SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    'More mature' doesn't necessarily mean an M-rating. I'm super okay with it staying T. If I want more adult stuff sprinkled in (like sims getting drunk), I'll mod it.
  • VioletfeyVioletfey Posts: 28 Member
    I think that they don't need to change the rating to M, BUT, I agree about the current game being a little immature because the emotional stakes are pretty low.

I'd like the emotional stakes of certain interactions to be greater. They sort of incorporated this into Get Famous with the Celebrity Quirks. So if a sim uses her phone all the time, she develops a phone obsession quirk or if a sim is constantly primping in the mirror, she develops a vain quirk.

What if, when a sim loses a loved one, they develop a quirk where it's harder for them to love again? Or if they experience a lot of mean interactions or bad luck they develop a quirk where they feel rejected (sort of like the Loser trait in the Sims 3). It doesn't have to be too dark or even veer off into depression, and can still keep its quintessential absurdist Sims vibe.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Im also of the opinion that the "T" rating is fine as is. I already have a couple mods for more mature scenarios that Im fine with. It doesnt make sense from a business perspective to so drastically change the Sims in such a way that a child would need his parent's permission to buy. Plus you know, there are plenty of adult simmers that dont gravitate toward mature games.

I agree though that the Sims 4 is a little too "friendly". I mean sheesh if you just had a huge argument with someone suddenly being on friendly speaking terms with them immediately after makes no sense. If one sim catches their SO cheating I dont want them "fine" a little while later! I want it to be harder to patch up the relationship. I want my sims upset that their ex just left and took the kids! What kinda breaks a little immersion for me is that Sims' problems dont escalate much higher than being wet in the rain. I love my families, but their lives are too perfect. And real life isn't perfect. Real life has problems and struggles, and either you get through it or you wallow in it.

The Teen rating is fine, but dang it sims need some heavy problems that dont just go away soon after.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Absolutely not. This is a fun, life simulation game, not a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game. There are mods for that kind of sad game play.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I'd be interested in a game like that, but really, all I need are some certain mods to do so. The emotion system in the Sims 4 needs to be fixed so that they don't overwrite each other so easily and then the game needs more practical consequences. Do these and you'll have your solution.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited April 2019
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2019
    Honestly the whole cartoon look wouldn't fit a M-Rated game. Most M-Rated games go into the uncanny valley. But yes like Tomb Raider, if Sims were to go above teen rating which it has in some countries already for silly reasons, I wouldn't play it. I could see the Urbz series be more mature rated. But I could see Sims lose its competition if it went the M-Rated route especially with games like BitLife now which seems to be popular with a lot of adult Simmers. I think if people want the Sims M-rated, there are plenty of mods out there to allow that. Also if the Sims were to enter the M-rated it probably couldn't be streamed on Twitch or Youtube anymore and the cases of pedophiles will become a lot worst in the Sims community, so probably not the safest thing to do especially as of late since I'm well aware of teenagers going into adult areas and adult gaming. I rather not risk it for EA for legality reasons.
    β€œAlthough the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited June 2019
    Personally I feel like T should be okay but another thing is that they are overly cautious with it

or then I just had very weird childhood where kids shows had much more disturbing things than sims :confused:

so if I could actually have realistic things in game with higher rating I'd prefer that to having sugar coated happyland
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I would be fine with a spinoff like The Sims Medieval being rated M, but I want the main game to remain T. Crime and dark humorous deaths are fun in the Sims, but I don't want nudity and gore in my game.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    mika wrote: Β»
    I would be fine with a spinoff like The Sims Medieval being rated M, but I want the main game to remain T. Crime and dark humorous deaths are fun in the Sims, but I don't want nudity and gore in my game.

Agree, make a spin off.But the main should be teen.
  • moltaziamoltazia Posts: 58 Member
    id like more realism in some areas like

more passionate romance interactions (not more explicit than the ones we already have just more passionate versions of them)

giving birth not being super weird??? like you dont have to see the undercarriage but like a "normal" birthing pose and the person you bring along holding your birthing sims hand and the doctor at the end of the bed. (also homebirth on the bed in a simillar way maybe?)

being angry with someone having more lasting impact, same with loosing a friendship. (buffs last longer)

drinking too much juice gives you the goofy walkstyle for the duration of the "too much juice" buff and that the addicted to juice or whatever its called quirk from get famous is a temp trait you can get (like the infected trait from strangerville). if you drink too much juice too many days in a row and then gets a "tense" moodlet when your sim with that quirk/temp trait stop drinking all toghether and you sort of have to weather it out to get "clean" again. would make great storytelling potential etc.

an attraction system!

just stuff like that.
  • moltaziamoltazia Posts: 58 Member
    Absolutely not. This is a fun, life simulation game, not a plum game. There are mods for that kind of sad game play.

you do know that a M rating does not mean wohoo simulator game right? it means showing mature themes, themes that sims already have in it (death, romance, wohoo, drinking badly disgused alcohol, birthing(?) etc) but now for alot of people they seem to have gone a bit too far into kid-friendlying these themes to the point that these subjects are almost handled a bit TOO lighty.

as someone who has played since sims 1 id say that the games have gotten less and less mature when it comes to these things. (mixed bag for different themes of course over the previous 3 games). ill just say that without the lows the highs mean nothing.
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited June 2019
    They even removed the Depressed and Terrified emotions from the game because it’s not T rated. There are a few other things that were suppose to be added but due to the rating, those features were removed. Not entirely sure.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: Β»
    The sims doesn't need to go above T.

What they need to do, is to not go bellow C, as in childish, which is what TS4 is in many ways (angry poop).

this. it doesn't have to go above T to add realism and tone down the goofy childishness.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    If you are thinking more explicit woohoo and graphic violence I'd say no. Anything else probably wouldn't push the rating over teen. I don't mind the silliness of the game, but would love more lasting consequences to actions. If a relationship is in the red friendly interactions should be few and far between.

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    actually sometimes I feel like stuff gets more disturbing when they make childish version of it
    or maybe thats just me thinking too much
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    These 12 year olds will never understand us.
    y'all got bread?
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    I guess people forgot about goosing or the steamy make-out from Sims 2..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sims 4 is already rated M... in Australia. (It's because of the woohoo action, and also online interactivity which surprised me, because the Sims 4 gallery and forums are pretty pg compared to something like COD). That said, while I don't want Sims 4: Get Mobsters, I'm all for humorous 'mature' references such as juice kegger parties, which I enjoyed in Sims 3. I also would love more negative consequences for cheating on spouses etc.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    edited June 2019
    I guess people forgot about goosing or the steamy make-out from Sims 2..
    This is one of the reasons why I never understand why people try to defend or justify TS4's bowdlerised state.
    Sims 4 is already rated M... in Australia. (It's because of the woohoo action, and also online interactivity which surprised me, because the Sims 4 gallery and forums are pretty pg compared to something like COD). That said, while I don't want Sims 4: Get Mobsters, I'm all for humorous 'mature' references such as juice kegger parties, which I enjoyed in Sims 3. I also would love more negative consequences for cheating on spouses etc.
    The M rating in Australia carries a different meaning. It's an advisory rating roughly identical to the North American T rating. If it was given the restricted MA15+ rating, then some questions would definitely have to be asked...
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Ehh, as much as the insistence on everything being kid friendly and safe and (IMHO) boring irks me, I'm not sure how much farther I'd actually like to see them take the series. The return of elements from Sims 1 & 2 (as well as some of the earlier console games) would be fun (vibrating heart beds and dancing cages anyone?), as the older games had a raunchier and more irreverent sense of humor without, I feel, taking it too far. In this age, I'm no longer sure what constitutes a T rating and what warrants a lower or higher one, but, maybe something like T+? A lil' edgier and more suggestive without being full on M-tier?

ok but '' get mobsters '' sounds like great expansion though
  • SimsWichtesSimsWichtes Posts: 127 Member
    Yes I want a higher rating. Limits because of age restricition are lame. The game shall not be gory and brutal but just more realistic.

I dont think they do that. But what we can fear is that Sims 5 will be age restricted 6. Thats what I think its possible. I dont think we can wish for higher age restrictions. I think we can hope to keep the one we have. (12)
    If they go down to get a wider range of fans we had to say goodbye to pregnancy, death, and more.

• WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Yes I want a higher rating. Limits because of age restricition are lame. The game shall not be gory and brutal but just more realistic.

I dont think they do that. But what we can fear is that Sims 5 will be age restricted 6. Thats what I think its possible. I dont think we can wish for higher age restrictions. I think we can hope to keep the one we have. (12)
    If they go down to get a wider range of fans we had to say goodbye to pregnancy, death, and more.

Pregnancy might stay in, but definitely no woohoo. It'd be Sims 1 style, you kiss until someone's ready for a baby and either someone's instantly preggers or POOF, crib outta nowhere.
    GGgkkg wrote: Β»

Pregnancy might stay in, but definitely no woohoo. It'd be Sims 1 style, you kiss until someone's ready for a baby and either someone's instantly preggers or POOF, crib outta nowhere.

they will bring back the baby bringing birdie