Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you make a good kid's room?

JessKatJessKat Posts: 45 Member
edited June 2019 in The Sims 4 Lots
I'm actually awful at building kids' rooms, so I could really use some tips and pictures.. Thanks!
(Here are some pics of my creation of a child's bedr
  • o
om https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2vG6nb7vTQ
giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d07e6fb664a753741936494&rid=giphy.gif
My Origin: CatsAndUnicorns

That average simmer.
Post edited by JessKat on

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited June 2019
    Are you asking for Sims 3 or Sims 4.Judging from your past posts I assume 4.The section you posted in is for sims 3, while games are similar, their building tools could differ.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-creative-corner
    Here is where you want to post for Sims 4.

Either way:

spacious-childrens-room-design.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8PRMrMyA1naTYLljDFS4tYiB7QkaZSn6ZJqDPGOP5P_lb_RKc

While neither game may have all the items needed, you could use MOO(move objects on) to do some pretty nifty stuff.
  • JessKatJessKat Posts: 45 Member
    Are you asking for Sims 3 or Sims 4.Judging from your past posts I assume 4.The section you posted in is for sims 3, while games are similar, their building tools could differ.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-creative-corner
    Here is where you want to post for Sims 4.

Either way:

spacious-childrens-room-design.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8PRMrMyA1naTYLljDFS4tYiB7QkaZSn6ZJqDPGOP5P_lb_RKc

While neither game may have all the items needed, you could use MOO(move objects on) to do some pretty nifty stuff.

ah, I didn't notice I posted it in Sims 3, thanks for the tips :)

That average simmer.
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    Depends do you build it for a toddler, child or teen or for different ages. Basically, it's like any other bedroom but typically with brighter colors and more vivid textures. (It's not a requirement by any means, though, so go with whatever you like.)

You want to make sure you have the correct beds... toddler's can only sleep in their own specific beds. Kids and teens however can sleep in any bed. You most likely want to include toys and skill building items meant for kids (easily found under kids category in build mode like everything else appropriate for them). Notice that toys in TS4 are also skill building items for toddlers and kids! I personally like to give kids their own dresser, bookcase, school desk, seating area for reading and watching their own TV on top of sleeping and play areas - of course depending heavily on how big or small the room is.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Bright saturated colors, lots of toys, carpeted floors, kid clutter (like backpacks), kid things (like drawing tables), nightlights, posters, etc. The kid themed items in packs like Kids Room Stuff and MFPS really help.
    Bright saturated colors, lots of toys, carpeted floors, kid clutter (like backpacks), kid things (like drawing tables), nightlights, posters, etc. The kid themed items in packs like Kids Room Stuff and MFPS really help.

Thank you so much!

That average simmer.
    Gwiniel wrote: »
    Depends do you build it for a toddler, child or teen or for different ages. Basically, it's like any other bedroom but typically with brighter colors and more vivid textures. (It's not a requirement by any means, though, so go with whatever you like.)

You want to make sure you have the correct beds... toddler's can only sleep in their own specific beds. Kids and teens however can sleep in any bed. You most likely want to include toys and skill building items meant for kids (easily found under kids category in build mode like everything else appropriate for them). Notice that toys in TS4 are also skill building items for toddlers and kids! I personally like to give kids their own dresser, bookcase, school desk, seating area for reading and watching their own TV on top of sleeping and play areas - of course depending heavily on how big or small the room is.

Same, but I try not to give my kids too much stuff because I don't have that much money in the game XD

That average simmer.
  • pisceansimpisceansim Posts: 10 New Member
    I think the sims 4 has a really great selection of little odds and ends and decorations that do a really amazing job of personalizing rooms, particularly for kids! One of the biggest tips I have for creating realistic kids rooms is to keep the clutter young, while keeping the furniture a bit more mature. Most people in real life don't have the opportunity to replace bigger furniture items (beds, dressers, etc.) with great frequency, so often times, those items are bought while thinking down the line - there's a lot you can do to make a room feel like it belongs to a child or teen even with some of the more plain looking furniture. And, if your sims are struggling for money, it makes it just as easy as changing a swatch on a bed or dresser and acquiring new clutter to help the room age with your sim!
    pisceansim wrote: »
    I think the sims 4 has a really great selection of little odds and ends and decorations that do a really amazing job of personalizing rooms, particularly for kids! One of the biggest tips I have for creating realistic kids rooms is to keep the clutter young, while keeping the furniture a bit more mature. Most people in real life don't have the opportunity to replace bigger furniture items (beds, dressers, etc.) with great frequency, so often times, those items are bought while thinking down the line - there's a lot you can do to make a room feel like it belongs to a child or teen even with some of the more plain looking furniture. And, if your sims are struggling for money, it makes it just as easy as changing a swatch on a bed or dresser and acquiring new clutter to help the room age with your sim!

Thank you so much! :3

That average simmer.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    pisceansim wrote: »
    One of the biggest tips I have for creating realistic kids rooms is to keep the clutter young, while keeping the furniture a bit more mature. Most people in real life don't have the opportunity to replace bigger furniture items (beds, dressers, etc.) with great frequency, so often times, those items are bought while thinking down the line - there's a lot you can do to make a room feel like it belongs to a child or teen even with some of the more plain looking furniture.
    Agree. People tend to decorate kid rooms with exclusively kid furniture and it looks both overboard and completely removed from the rest of the house's decor.
    Light colors with a few colorful items thrown in work better in my opinion. Make the base room neutral, and then add the childish items on top.
    To give you an example, a light wood simple nightstand with a fun shaped lamp, or calming neutral wallpaper with colorful wall decor / posters / curtains.

When in doubt, make it look like the rest of the house but simpler.

Add more toys and activities. There are good child decor items in sculptures.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sorry for double-posting but I kinda liked the idea of 3 different age kids in the same room so I tried it in my style.
    It's not very pretty or fashion magazine worthy, it's just a fun room for children to grow in.

I used base game and C&D since what I could see in your screenshots. Hopefully you'll recognize a few items.

gKXUpyAl.png
    lZkTP3jl.png
    8s27zo3l.png
    Post edited by happyopi on
    happyopi wrote: »
    Sorry for double-posting but I kinda liked the idea of 3 different age kids in the same room so I tried it in my style.
    It's not very pretty or fashion magazine worthy, it's just a fun room for children to grow in.

I used base game and C&D since what I could see in your screenshots. Hopefully you'll recognize a few items.

gKXUpyAl.png
    lZkTP3jl.png
    8s27zo3l.png

That's awesome!! Similar to what I did but I went a bit over the top XD

That average simmer.
  • sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    I find it helps to match the room to the personality of the sim. Hard with babys and toddlers when I'm building for gameplay but if it's just for building I always imagine a family that's going to live in that house and give them personalities. I especially do it for children's rooms. One kid could be more neat while the other kid leaves a lot of clutter lying on the floor.