Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My game randomly just turns off after a while.

After I play for a few hours, my game will out of nowhere freeze, then shut down completely to my desktop screen and I get a pop up saying my game stopped working, and I have to restart / reload the whole thing . Does this happen to anyone else, I'm trying to figure out if it's a bug or my computer. I have an HP Laptop with Windows 8, 64 bit. My laptop is a few years old, but it only started doing this recently since the Strangerville update.

Comments

• cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    you got any mods? if so, removed them. then repair game. see if it still does it then. you gotta do those things first before we can move with different options cause mods can be very pesky pesky.
  • ang803ang803 Posts: 20 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    you got any mods? if so, removed them. then repair game. see if it still does it then. you gotta do those things first before we can move with different options cause mods can be very pesky pesky.

I have no mods or cc because my laptop is older / slower than i would like and I’ve always been scared they would crash it.

• MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    I know nothing about computers, but could it be your memory or graphics? Games just straight shut down/crash when they're using too much memory for me.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    are you using laptop mode?

cause what moonfoxnightcry said could be the issue, though with your laptop being a 64 bit you should be able to run sims 4 just fine since the game was made to run on systems with less than that.
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    It sounds like your computer is shutting down The Sims when the computer is getting overused to prevent overheating or you are using to much memory.
    Make sure you keep your hard drive clean by using a disk clean up programme.
    Disable background tasks you aren't using, whilst playing the game.
    Check that your computer doesn't get too hot while playing, if it does it means the computer is being overworked.
    Make sure you laptop cooling system is free of dust.
    Try updating graphic drivers.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    If you are on a laptop, the most likely cause would be overheating. If it's available, check the temp of the CPU and fan speed. These can both help you see if your laptop is running too hot. You could try cleaning the fans/vents.

Also make sure all drivers are updated
  • ang803ang803 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks, everyone, I have noticed my laptop gets pretty warm after I play for a while, that could be the issue, and I am in laptop mode on my game as well. Appreciate the feedback!
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    edited June 2019
    Glad people were able to try and help out! If you still have issues it would be best to post over on The Sims 4 AHQ which is set up specifically for technical issues. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread off.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top