Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 should be it’s own “console”.....

isaiahzayisaiahzay Posts: 295 Member
It should be it’s own console.

Rather than relying on hardware from computers or game systems, wouldnt it be amazing if it was its own small console, with the hardware designed around one massive game, that can connect to computers or TVs? (Yes... connect to both... as in play connected to a PC, a Mac, or right to a tv depending on your preference. Plugin a mouse + keyboard to play just like you always would with sims games. Think of it like a very specific external hard drive... and no! Not a console like Xbox or PS... use some imagination here for plum sake!)

I’m picturing something small, almost portable, that can process a massive base game and can also download expansions as they come out.

Yes, if something like that is possible it would be expensive... but wouldn’t a high functioning, detailed, and complex game be worth it?

If the hardware is designed around the software I figure the game could be really intensely intricate: open worlds, advanced AI, powerful customization, almost limitless expansion, even optional VR and online aspects?

I’m just saying, I hope we see something like this. A huge new version of the game that would be expanded on for several years without being weighed down by any outdated engine.

The possibilities of it could potentially mean; gameplay that is very realistic but also larger than life, an entire simulated planet to explore with different environments and cultures, even time progression where the world changes and you could play in different time eras (pre-history, dark ages, renaissance, victorian era, the roaring 20s, the 60’s, modern day, futuristic time eras, etc.) Just think of the possible expansions, we could even see optional additions that would let you actively control sims as you would in other genre games like racing, first person shooters, EA sports games, etc. bringing it beyond a life simulator.
Post edited by isaiahzay on

Comments

• Options
    SimsWichtesSimsWichtes Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2019
    If its like you described cheap and high quality, why not.

I just doubt they do that. I think sims 5 will be for PC and console as usual.
    I like PC the most but of course I dont know it any other way.

Sometimes I just wish they would create a more complex and detailed sims game for high-end gamer pcˋs. but of course this is selfish as not everyone could play then and their laptops/computers would lag after a few expansions.

Prob they best way is for them to continue with their current plan
    Post edited by SimsWichtes on
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    Reminds me of the Atari. Stick the game in slot......... Unfortunately the next big idea is Cloud gaming where the game isn't held on your PC, Mac, or Console either. It could be several terabytes in size that way.
  • Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    Aren't PCs usually more powerful than consoles though?
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Atari. Stick the game in slot......... Unfortunately the next big idea is Cloud gaming where the game isn't held on your PC, Mac, or Console either. It could be several terabytes in size that way.

Yeah you’re right, online streaming is more likely. Which is too bad for several reasons, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    EA would never fund the development of console hardware for a single game. That would be a poor business decision. Recouping the costs would be put on the consumer and it would be a couple hundred at least. I don't think they would fund development for ANY sort of hardware, in the first place.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Uh yeah, no. No way. PC/Mac. I'd never buy a console like that.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited June 2019
    heck no, i don't buy or use consoles.

edit: and the way you cant even mod the game in console versions would kill the modding community, one of the biggest reasons the sims did so well in the first place dating to the first version.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Aren't PCs usually more powerful than consoles though?

Yeah, I think so. My daughter that also plays the sims 4 decided to buy it for console because it was making her computer work too hard. She said the downside of it being on console is that you don’t have the huge gallery we have for PC’s. That would be very off putting to me as I love the gallery creations, and often use them.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    not a good idea i would went the sims5 to be on pc
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
    Nope, it should be like a walk-in machine where you play as a Sim and live a second life.

Oh wait this is 2019…
  • Options
    Nope, it should be like a walk-in machine where you play as a Sim and live a second life.

Oh wait this is 2019…

Yup 2019... maybe time to discuss some sort of innovation? Or are computer games still the future of gaming like they were in the 90s?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Thing is, not everyone can afford a new console

I totally get that, but let’s be honest, between all the expansion packs... a decent version TS4 is costing a couple hundred already.

So in the end, a more completed game that doesn’t rely on expansions but still offers them would be less expensive.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Limiting gamer's choice on specific platform is bad (looking at you Epic Game)
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Nope. They'd never be so foolish as to take away their most accessible platform. Many Sims players hate consoles and only play because it's on PC.
  • Options
    Irdiwen wrote: »
    Why not let people choose between platforms? Sorry, but I think this is not a good idea.

I think you mean if people want to play on PCs or Macs or on TVs they should have a choice? Yeah, I agree, just connect to which you prefer.

It’s a weird concept, and I’m not explaining it well, especially not technical wise, but I think the basic concept might be an okay alternative to trying to develop a game through updates over time, with each update having to be adjusted to each platform (like how it is now).
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited June 2019
    No thanks, I hate playing on consoles.
  • Options
    LoliGilLoliGil Posts: 30 Member
    It would be better to buy a separate gaming computer than a console for only Sims. That just seems like a waste of money with how limiting it is.
    I have 99 problems and spiral stairs would solve at least 13
    Origin ID: Emilissa
  • Options
    rudy8292 wrote: »

I do too... but a hybrid type platform? You’ll just dismiss it altogether?
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited June 2019
    isaiahzay wrote: »
    rudy8292 wrote: »

I do too... but a hybrid type platform? You’ll just dismiss it altogether?

The thing is also I think developers are limiting themselves by going console or even hybrid since like someone else mentioned in this thread already is that PC's are much more powerful in general. There simply is much more potential when it comes to PC gaming.

But, on the other hand; The Sims is already a casual game when it comes to specs, that's also the reason why I think they should let the 'potato generation'' of pc gaming go and take the Sims to a next level. I think they are playing it way too safe with this game. This game isn't really progressing because they are trying to stick too much with the ''casual'' audience with not so powerful pc's.

It's like with everything when it comes to technology. Technology is evolving and sometimes you need to upgrade your systems.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2019
    I doubt they can include everything you mentioned in one game and expect it to turn out any good. Unless Sims 5 comes out far, faaar into the future, I don't think any of this is feasible. Especially on whatever budget EA gives this franchise.

And while I wouldn't be totally against the idea, sticking to a console would be unfriendly for the casual audience - and we can't just ignore accessibility for the sake of advancement, because The Sims has a huge casual audience. I know I wouldn't buy the console. I'd rather stick to Sims 2 and 4, games I've already invested in.

Does EA even have people who work on their own consoles, actually? Genuine question here.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I just can't imagine playing without the mouse and keyboard.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2019
    It should be on both and honestly gaming is entering a new era with cloud gaming in which you can play on any device: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller