Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can This Relationship Be Fixed?!

This all started because my Sim, Gwen has been falsely labeled as a 'cheater' by the game.

My Sim's ex-husband, Ricky is a womanizer. He was constantly flirting with other women although he doesn't have the 'Flirty' trait. Well, one day it became to much to bear. She and her husband have a 'mutual friend' named Cairo who is of 'Best Friend' status to both of them. I moved Cairo into the house so I could advance him in his skills and career. The entire time he lived with them he behaved as a 'Best friend' would and there were no inappropriate interactions...ever!

Cairo knew of Ricky's infidelities and didn't like it, although he never stepped in to say anything to Gwen about it. The game never punished or branded Ricky for any of his actions; so he has a spotless reputation.

Well, one day I sent Ricky and Gwen to the gym so he could work out and she could use the hot tub to relax. While she was outside in the hot tub, Ricky decided to stop working out so he could go flirt with two of the women there. This caused Gwen to come inside, upset, to witness his betrayal. Cairo was also there pumping iron as was a few other of Ricky's co-worker, who all stopped to come over 'upset' at him. Cairo, who was obviously tired of Ricky's flirting ways, decided to autonomously give Gwen a 'Friendly Hug' which was witnessed by Ricky. Ricky didn't like that.

Fast forward to a few days later. I was tired of seeing Gwen in an unhappy relationship so I packed Ricky's personal belongings into his inventory and promptly kicked him out of the house. I didn't know when you kicked a Sim out whatever was in their personal inventory gets transferred to the 'active' Sim's inventory. This is the first time I have had to use that feature of the game.

Okay, here's where things went severely wrong. Gwen and Cairo were at home talking about things when Cairo received the option to 'ask Gwen to break up with Ricky'. The option was under the 'friendly' category so I took it as one friend expressing advice to another given the circumstances. I wasn't aware it was a romantic link! So, I had Gwen take what I thought was his advice. The game divorced Gwen while at the same time linked her and Cairo as if they had some sort of intimate relationship, which they didn't; so she became labeled a 'cheater' and Cairo and Ricky became bitter enemies.

Gwen isn't a cheater. She and Cairo are not in an intimate relationship. And, Ricky who is now of townie status has seemed to have lost his mind at the thought of his best friend and wife being 'involved' and is seriously out to get him. So far, Ricky has found the woman that Cairo was dating and made her his partner. Not wanting to open up that can of worms, I changed their relationship (Ricky's and the lady's) to acquaintances and promptly removed her from the game. This apparently turned out to be the wrong thing to do because now Ricky seems to be consumed with searing jealousy and spite for his former best friend.

This entire situation is a misunderstanding. The Sims Team should have placed the 'Ask To Break Up' option as a 'Romantic' interaction and not a 'Friendly' one. Plus, they should have programmed in a back door in the event of misunderstandings such as this one happening; but they didn't.

I have worked very hard training my Sims and they are a vital part of my 'SimVerse' story and cannot be removed or replaced. Each of these Sims has a specific role to play. If anyone knows of a way to remove the 'cheater's mark' from the scrap book please share the solution with me.

Comments

• thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @mw1525 What a story!!! I did love it.

Regarding the cheater label, try out buying the clean slate lifetime reward. I believe it'll clean any bad stuff from your lady's scrap book.

Here's in case you want to read a little more.
    https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/lifetimerewards/cleanslate.php
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    @thuggushsplicer - I tried the 'Clean Slate' LTR first hoping it would do the trick. That reward wiped out the number of days Gwen had been married; so it wasn't a keeper. Thanks anyway.
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I feel your pain. I had a sim with the eternally faithful status who out of the blue the game labeled as a cheater because apparently the paparazzi saw him “having an affair.” Not once did I ever direct him to cheat on his wife, so I can only assume someone must’ve autonomously flirted with him while I wasn’t looking and the paparazzi ran with it. :/ 54 days (or so) of their relationship thrown out the window because of that. Ridiculous.
    @AfterMidnight - Exactly! Misunderstandings do happen in-game through no fault of our Sims. Yet, our Sims have to pay the price for some of the things a townie will do. The game should have come with a 'You've Got It All Wrong' social interaction to help mend these situations.
    edited June 2019
    @mw1525 I decided to read this article: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Reputation

You're right, there's no way to fix that. You end up with few options: 1) Add a note to her scrapbook and use clean slate. She'll lose the days but she can rebuild. 2) Live with the cheater reputation. 3) Go back to a previous save.

I also found this information interesting:
    Celebrities get the reputation of "Cheater" much easier than regular Sims. If they are seen in public flirting and showing romantic intentions towards another Sim, other than their partner, they may be publicly disgraced, get the "Cheater" reputation and be accused of infidelity by their partner, even if they have not become a romantic interest of the Sim they were flirting with.

Apparently, it's part of the game mechanics to be acussed falsely or quickly. I also wonder whether your sim still has the "public disgraced" moodlet. In this case, do you have the option to bribe the paparazzi or sue them? There's more info about public disgrace on this page: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Celebrity_status

I hope you find a way to deal with that! I bet your sims will do well.
    Also, I think I'll turn on celebrity status in my game for the first time. Your story made me wonder how much drama I can add up to my game.
    @thuggishsplicer - Well, I had to give in and use the 'Clean Slate' LTR to set Gwen back to rights. Using NRaas' Master Controller, I reset Ricky and Cairo's relationship down to acquaintances. While that won't stop the hate from flowing, it will limit what he can do about it. I wouldn't mind the 'falsely accused' factor so much if it had been better done.

When it comes to celebrities, at least they get a social which will allow them to tell other Sims of their innocence. With the cheaters mark, all my Sim could do was ask other Sims 'What Do They Say About Me' :/ .
    @mw1525 I'm glad to hear you're good again with your game. ❤

There are many things that could've been improved. I hope your sims don't test the limits of the game again. :-)
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    mw1525 wrote: »
    This all started because my Sim, Gwen has been falsely labeled as a 'cheater' by the game.

My Sim's ex-husband, Ricky is a womanizer. He was constantly flirting with other women although he doesn't have the 'Flirty' trait. Well, one day it became to much to bear. She and her husband have a 'mutual friend' named Cairo who is of 'Best Friend' status to both of them. I moved Cairo into the house so I could advance him in his skills and career. The entire time he lived with them he behaved as a 'Best friend' would and there were no inappropriate interactions...ever!

Cairo knew of Ricky's infidelities and didn't like it, although he never stepped in to say anything to Gwen about it. The game never punished or branded Ricky for any of his actions; so he has a spotless reputation.

Well, one day I sent Ricky and Gwen to the gym so he could work out and she could use the hot tub to relax. While she was outside in the hot tub, Ricky decided to stop working out so he could go flirt with two of the women there. This caused Gwen to come inside, upset, to witness his betrayal. Cairo was also there pumping iron as was a few other of Ricky's co-worker, who all stopped to come over 'upset' at him. Cairo, who was obviously tired of Ricky's flirting ways, decided to autonomously give Gwen a 'Friendly Hug' which was witnessed by Ricky. Ricky didn't like that.

Fast forward to a few days later. I was tired of seeing Gwen in an unhappy relationship so I packed Ricky's personal belongings into his inventory and promptly kicked him out of the house. I didn't know when you kicked a Sim out whatever was in their personal inventory gets transferred to the 'active' Sim's inventory. This is the first time I have had to use that feature of the game.

Okay, here's where things went severely wrong. Gwen and Cairo were at home talking about things when Cairo received the option to 'ask Gwen to break up with Ricky'. The option was under the 'friendly' category so I took it as one friend expressing advice to another given the circumstances. I wasn't aware it was a romantic link! So, I had Gwen take what I thought was his advice. The game divorced Gwen while at the same time linked her and Cairo as if they had some sort of intimate relationship, which they didn't; so she became labeled a 'cheater' and Cairo and Ricky became bitter enemies.

Gwen isn't a cheater. She and Cairo are not in an intimate relationship. And, Ricky who is now of townie status has seemed to have lost his mind at the thought of his best friend and wife being 'involved' and is seriously out to get him. So far, Ricky has found the woman that Cairo was dating and made her his partner. Not wanting to open up that can of worms, I changed their relationship (Ricky's and the lady's) to acquaintances and promptly removed her from the game. This apparently turned out to be the wrong thing to do because now Ricky seems to be consumed with searing jealousy and spite for his former best friend.

This entire situation is a misunderstanding. The Sims Team should have placed the 'Ask To Break Up' option as a 'Romantic' interaction and not a 'Friendly' one. Plus, they should have programmed in a back door in the event of misunderstandings such as this one happening; but they didn't.

I have worked very hard training my Sims and they are a vital part of my 'SimVerse' story and cannot be removed or replaced. Each of these Sims has a specific role to play. If anyone knows of a way to remove the 'cheater's mark' from the scrap book please share the solution with me.

WOW! Your TS3 game did all of that? It's pretty a pretty awesome drama to me! Please make a copy of this save game before you fix it and I hope you let it run its course - I want to see what happens!

Will Ricky continue to seeth and exact revenge on innocent Cairo? Or will he finally realize how hurtful it feels to be "cheated" on and stop flirting with other women to make up with Gwen? Will Gwen even want him back? Oooh, this story is too good to fix!

edited June 2019
    @ClarionOfJoy - Yes, my Sims actually did all that :D!

The Betrayal:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/h80rikr8e6273t9/Betrayal_1.png/file

The Betrayal 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/71xbr33947tky3b/Betrayal_2.png/file

Bad Idea:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/m2z7rxho8l5gfh7/Bad_Idea.png/file

Useless Talking:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/l4yeyh4qxb4lsks/Useless_Talking.png/file

I have already used the 'Clean Slate' reward on Gwen because Ricky was going to implode with jealousy! And personally, I don't fancy Sim murder or should I say 'An Accidental Death' in my game, so I spent the points.

Will Ricky continue to seeth and exact revenge on innocent Cairo?

-So far, he doesn't seem as strongly interested in Cairo as before. He's shown he hasn't forgotten about what happened, but at the moment his focus has changed. However, Cairo isn't trying to be anywhere around him and promptly leaves the venue if Ricky shows up.

Or will he finally realize how hurtful it feels to be "cheated" on and stop flirting with other women to make up with Gwen?
    -Well, after the 'Betrayal' Ricky took two women. The first, I deleted from the game and the second I didn't because she is a townie I want to keep. About a week after I used the 'Clean Slate' which broke Gwen and Cairo's romantic ties, Ricky and his lady friend broke up. Actually, I'm not certain who dumped who, I just know its over. Perfect timing on the break-up wouldn't you say?!

Will Gwen even want him back?
    -Herein lately, he has been 'bumping' into Gwen when she is out and about in town. Or just showing up in odd places when she is alone. Recently he 'bumped' into her in the middle of the Lucky Palms dessert where I had her collecting space rocks, not even kidding! Sometimes I have them speak, other times I don't. It all depends. Every time he is watching her. Considering the icon which is above her head in the screenshot, I'd say its a safe bet she isn't trying to see him on a personal level anytime soon. But hey, that could change. ;)

Strange Place to Meet:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/924ojoby74v2jm1/Strange_Place_to_Meet.jpg/file
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2019
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy - Yes, my Sims actually did all that :D!

The Betrayal:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/h80rikr8e6273t9/Betrayal_1.png/file

The Betrayal 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/71xbr33947tky3b/Betrayal_2.png/file

Bad Idea:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/m2z7rxho8l5gfh7/Bad_Idea.png/file

Useless Talking:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/l4yeyh4qxb4lsks/Useless_Talking.png/file

I have already used the 'Clean Slate' reward on Gwen because Ricky was going to implode with jealousy! And personally, I don't fancy Sim murder or should I say 'An Accidental Death' in my game, so I spent the points.

Will Ricky continue to seeth and exact revenge on innocent Cairo?

-So far, he doesn't seem as strongly interested in Cairo as before. He's shown he hasn't forgotten about what happened, but at the moment his focus has changed. However, Cairo isn't trying to be anywhere around him and promptly leaves the venue if Ricky shows up.

Or will he finally realize how hurtful it feels to be "cheated" on and stop flirting with other women to make up with Gwen?
    -Well, after the 'Betrayal' Ricky took two women. The first, I deleted from the game and the second I didn't because she is a townie I want to keep. About a week after I used the 'Clean Slate' which broke Gwen and Cairo's romantic ties, Ricky and his lady friend broke up. Actually, I'm not certain who dumped who, I just know its over. Perfect timing on the break-up wouldn't you say?!

Will Gwen even want him back?
    -Herein lately, he has been 'bumping' into Gwen when she is out and about in town. Or just showing up in odd places when she is alone. Recently he 'bumped' into her in the middle of the Lucky Palms dessert where I had her collecting space rocks, not even kidding! Sometimes I have them speak, other times I don't. It all depends. Every time he is watching her. Considering the icon which is above her head in the screenshot, I'd say its a safe bet she isn't trying to see him on a personal level anytime soon. But hey, that could change. ;)

Strange Place to Meet:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/924ojoby74v2jm1/Strange_Place_to_Meet.jpg/file

This story is so interesting! I think it's so cute that Ricky broke up with his rebound and is now "accidentally" bumping into Gwen when she is out and about town!

Will Gwen eventually come around and start talking to Ricky? Or will someone new come along and steal her heart? And will Cairo ever recuperate from being caught up in the middle of the storm that was between Ricky and Gwen? Will he himself ever find true love of his own?

Please keep us posted about any further developments in this awesome TS3 soap opera!

PS: To have your images appear directly in your post, there's an icon of a little picture at the top when you're writing your post. Click on that and enter (or paste) the URL of your picture and then press enter. Press the preview button at the bottom of the editing window to view your post to see if you embedded it properly.
    edited June 2019
    @ClarionOfJoy - Thanks. I didn't add the images to the thread because they are captioned and I didn't want the words to be unreadable to some.

Quick Update:
    Cairo has moved out of Gwen's house and is back to being a fully functioning townie. I hope to see him around town more. Ricky has a new girlfriend who is a 'Gold Digger' and possibly a 'black widow'. Since he is rich (and newly single), I suppose he would have been on her radar as a potential boyfriend. Well, that didn't stop him from phoning Gwen and asking her to come over his house to 'hang out'. I sent her and surprisingly they had a very nice time. They chatted, told jokes, he told her about his new girlfriend and he cooked dinner (cheesesteak) for them. Finally, a little after midnight things wrapped up and she went home. He does seem like he is trying to inch his way back, but we'll see. In the meantime, if Gwen finds a Sim she is interested in, I'm going to go with that.