Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I think Strangerville is a waste of money

Comments

• Sims_4_ever_Sims_4_ever_ Posts: 143 Member
    Trying to do a finite story like they did within the Sims can be challenging, but I'd pay 20 for the doors and windows tho.

Haha. I don't know if I'd pay that much for doors and windows lol...But definitely for some new furniture
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    It's one of my favorite packs, it was worth it to me :-) most of them have been, but there's a few packs that I probably wouldn't have thought now that I've played them. Mainly bowling stuff, romantic garden stuff, and spa day. The rest of them I think we're worth the money. Although of course I do wish they were cheaper too haha
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    11 lot world (and it’s really a nice world), western style CAS items (and more), really unique build mode items, new City Living style career, and a cool new way to play the game (even if it just lasts 3-5 hours).

And it’s just a gamepack!!! Only $20 U.S. Strangerville (IMO) is by far the pack most worth the full price.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I think it's subjective. For me it was well worth the money. I loved the cas items, the build items, the buy mode items and the little story mystery was just a bonus to me. I'd love the option to skip the mystery on future saves after beating it in one, but it doesn't take long and I love the little mid to southwestern style town. I can see why some wouldn't want it though. The story has very little replay value I feel
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I think it really depends. I was done with the story after two hours, but my husband played it a for 3 days until he solved the mystery and he really enjoyed it.
    So just for that, worth 20 bucks for me.
    Also I like the new world, the NPCs and the b&b items that came along with the pack. And if someone thinks 20€ is too much, then just wait for a sale.
    I mean you can't go wrong with a new world, and for a gamepack it wasn't that tiny.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It really is just a 1 time and done pack. Kind of like all the game packs that come with a world. But then I also only play in my own created save file. It destroyed the sandbox feeling of the game, at least to me.
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    Agreed!! I got it mostly for the military career, the aesthetics of the town, build/buy, and cas (and because I thought laptops would function like laptops). I would not recommend paying full price for it if you're mostly in it for the story.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2019
    It really is just a 1 time and done pack. Kind of like all the game packs that come with a world. But then I also only play in my own created save file. It destroyed the sandbox feeling of the game, at least to me.

The strange thing is: I get a lot more use out of Strangerville than, say, Outdoor Retreat or Jungle Adventure. I've played through the story twice but I think by setting the strangeness to the desired level, I can just continue using it as a town where things and people are just generally odd, and that attracts conspiracy theorists, scientists and militaries alike. I think it gives me characters, a world, and career options that I can just keep on using in different ways, while the skills that come with JA and OR are just far less interesting than, say, the martial arts skill that comes with TS3 world adventures (and that is at least somewhat reintroduced with Strangerville). So I guess replayability is also a matter of perspective.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I made a military base out of it, that is what I wanted it for. I had to get through that mystery thing before I could use it.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I love the pack. Most of my houses have a bunker in them now, right next to the laundry room in the basement. The Landgraabs in Oasis Springs (now Area 51) have bought a superbunker that I found on the Gallery. Great fun.
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    I really like this pack, and I REALLY love the lots up on the side.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I only planned on buying it if I was both bored and on sale. And what luck! A sale happened and I needed new lots to build on. I havent really touched the story and I doubt I will. The theming just doesn't do it for me. So I just have my sims do their own thing for my story purposes.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    It's actually one of my favorite packs. It took me maybe two hours to solve the mystery but I really didn't care for that aspect (which I get is the main selling point). I bought it for the world which I love and the CAS and build/buy items. It was worth the money for me as I use the items all the time and a few of my main families live there, too.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    I just bought Strangerville during the recent sale. Like many devoted simmers, I really bought it only for the sake of completing my Sims 4 collection. I didn't think I'd like it, and I wasn't really planning to even think about the "mystery" and solving it. But then, I happened to have a couple who are conspiracy theorists. In fact, as part of their storyline, he's become a fairly well-known conspiracy theorist, although initially his wife just thought he'd lost all sense.

I wanted to move them into a smaller home now that they're empty nesters, and putting them in Strangerville seemed like a fun thing to do. I'm in no hurry to solve the mystery, and since I play rotationally it might be a week or more before I get back to their household. But I'm loving the story so far. After meeting Ted Roswell and a few other townspeople, David's wife is now a confirmed believer, too. There definitely is something strange going on near that military installation, and she's right there beside her husband, gathering evidence, and then sharing it through videos. On the downside, I've lost two drones already because I didn't know quite how to use them, but the mystery is adding a lot to my on-going storyline for this couple.

Will I ever replay the mystery? No, once it's solved, it's solved. I only have one game, not a lot of different saved games, so the mystery will be over and done. Does that make the pack worthless then? Not to me. Strangerville will still be filled with memories, it will be part of my sims' stories, and I'll have access to the world, the lots, and all that's in CAS, build mode, and buy mode.

I was surprised actually to find how much fun I'm having with this pack. I'm looking forward to more opportunities like this with future packs. For me, it's just a matter of finding the right sim "characters" in my rotation to logically complete the game's storyline. Luckily I had a household that was just perfect for this mystery.
  • QueenEcheveriaQueenEcheveria Posts: 61 Member
    I actually really liked it but I do wish you could toggle the adventure off as it's the only thing that's actually preventing me from playing in that world again (Unless you copy the save file).
    pouladb96c2.png
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I bought it on sale for $12 and I think it was worth it. Wouldn't have bought it for $20, but we all have different priorities.

I knew the mystery wasn't going to be that exciting for me--it ended up about how I expected and I found the frequent travel from lot to lot and some of the tasks to be a bit repetitive. It was wearying. But I really enjoy the world, the items, the career and trait, and the ability to have some possessed Sims. After I solve the mystery I likely won't do so again, but I will keep the infection and such going.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I was unsure when I got this pack if I would like it and I do think it is love or hate pack. I found the storyline ok and it took me ages to complete it but that was because I was taking it at my own pace and rotating between households in different worlds. However I do love the world, build/buy, cas items that come with it, one of my main families live there. It’s a pack I have come to love over time. However I can understand why others don’t like it.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    I like the StrangerVille pack. It adds a little bit of extra fun now and then and I like how different the world looks. My only issue with it is having to replay the mystery on each save. There really should be an option not to after doing it at least once in the game.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    yeah the "mystery" is kinda lame, I still haven't finished it btw, I like to drag things out and I love the strangeness of the town, I do like the pack for the CAS and BB objects and the radiostation, I really love that one.
    The new career is ok too.
    It's fun and without the mystery I guess there would have been no point to it, there would be no strangeness...
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I love the world & many of the CAS & build/buy objects, so that alone is worth it. I just wish there was an easier way to opt out of the mystery without having to go through all those cheats every time I want to start a new save. I don't know why they couldn't have put an "opt out" option in the game options, they did it for weather & celebrities.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    edited June 2019
    Mystery aside, Strangerville comes with possibly the MOST beautiful world in TS4 so far, a new paranoid trait, the Military career (which was standard in Sims 2 & 3 for sure), and mostly versatile victorian windows and doors. The only drawbacks are that you must actively solve the mystery to live in Strangerville in order to live there without the weird looking plants...but definitely not a dealbreaker. Plus the hype leading up to the announcement/release was amazing.
    Post edited by jadonbakes on
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I've never purchased any Sims 4 game at full price. I actually just got Strangerville on sale during that 40% off promo they had going and I enjoyed it for what it was. I was a little disappointed in the length of the mystery but hey, that's why I always wait for a sale!
  • SilvyrRainSilvyrRain Posts: 20 Member
    The Strangerville world is actually the most similar world in S4 to where I live. And, yes, including some of the "strangeness". So, for me, the pack is a definite yes. I even worked in a science lab similar to what they were trying to create.

I can definitely see why it wouldn't be for everybody, and that's totally fine. But, I love the world, and all of the stuff that was included. I just bought it recently in the sale, so I haven't played the mystery yet. I understand that may not be the best feature, but I love all the stuff and the environment enough to be happy with my purchase anyhow.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    The world is gorgeous! I love the town! :)
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Had they just put a little more detail in the military career such as adding the military reward obstacle course from 2 instead of only adding in the march to work from home I would of been much happier with this pack. The mystery took me about 2 hours to complete and for me it has no replay value once was enough, sadly the military career which is the entire reason I purchased Strangerville is just so basic.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"