Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I think Strangerville is a waste of money

Sims_4_ever_Sims_4_ever_ Posts: 143 Member
I think that the Strangerville pack is a waste of money. The mystery looks very fun, but for an average simmer, it takes maybe three days tops to solve the mystery. After that, there is really nothing interesting to do, and nothing of value added to the pack besides the mystery...and since I've already seen gameplay of the mystery being solved, I'd much rather put my money on a better pack. It was a creative idea, but maybe there should have been layers, perhaps updates with new mysteries to solve?

Edit: To clarify, I do not think that the pack isn't worth any money or that it is not a good pack, I just don't think it is worth what they sold it for, since the mystery ends so quickly. I would love to see the creators maybe continue the mystery or add new ones, since the pack is purposed around the mystery.
Post edited by Sims_4_ever_ on

Comments

• Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    But after you solve the mystery, you have a new world (yes I know, it is small), tons of new CAS features as well as build/buy items.

I personally love the aesthetic of the world and the little neighborhoods within it. I LOVE the new content that came along with the pack. The mystery gameplay is just an added feature that enabled me to branch out of my usual gameplay style for a bit.

It's unfortunate that after you've beat it in one save, you have to beat it again in a new one. There definitely should be a toggle or opt-out. I understand that you and many others would have rather seen their money go to a different type of pack.

I don't think it was a waste of my money, personally! I like the theme so I guess that must be why. I agree that new mysteries to solve would be awesome, and would "keep Strangerville strange" so to speak!
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2019
    I disagree. It gave my sims something to do and you can reply it as well if you want. People usually do replay video games or rewatch movies or they would just rent instead of buying it. Also it took me less than three days to complete. It took me two though in reality, it was more like a couple of hours and felt a bit too short. I found the concept unique and fun. It adds a bit of weirdness which this game desperately needs (reminds of Sims 2, which I loved).
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    I disagree. It came my sims something to do and you can reply it as well if you want. People usually do replay video games or rewatch movies or they would just rent instead of buying it. Also it took me less than three days to complete. It took me two though in relating, it was more like a couple of hours and felt a bit too short. I found the concept unique and fun. It adds a bit of weirdness which this game desperately needs (reminds of Sims 2, which I loved).

I absolutely agree with that. I'm not bashing the concept of the pack. It was very fun to see the creators make something new and unique such as a mystery. The battle at the end gave me the last level of Ratchet and Clank vibes. lol. And the possessed faces were hilarious! But I think it's unfortunate that you can finish the main purpose of the pack in just a few days, unlike other packs. It's just not worth it to spend a few hours on something and be done with it...I do enjoy having a new city as well, but there just isn't enough substance for me.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think you shouldn't have purchased it if you are not a fan of story mode as the trailer and game description pretty much said it all or what else do you expect?

• Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    I think it's worth buying, but not at full price.

It's fun to play through a few times, but then it's "okay, been there, done that". Even trying to put a spin on it, you still come back to the same exact steps.
    The world is beautiful. Some of the CAS and build/buy are awesome. The problem is other than the Military career and the martial arts dummy, you can't really carry anything over unless you are solving the mystery. If they would have included more that wasn't explicitly tied to the mystery itself, it would have been so much better.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i use it all the time for the world, build buy, and cas. worth every penny.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited June 2019
    Personally it's a lot more use to me than a lot of other game-packs. I rarely use spa day, dine out or outdoor retreat. I really love the world, and the mystery, the Cas and build items are to die for too. I prefer really enjoying the story for a few days and then having the world afterwards, than a pack that I can re-use but don't really enjoy that much. If it were an Expansion, I'd agree with you, but since it's only a game-pack, I'm fine with just the world and story.
  • Options
    Anmirla wrote: »
    I think it's worth buying, but not at full price.

It's fun to play through a few times, but then it's "okay, been there, done that". Even trying to put a spin on it, you still come back to the same exact steps.
    The world is beautiful. Some of the CAS and build/buy are awesome. The problem is other than the Military career and the martial arts dummy, you can't really carry anything over unless you are solving the mystery. If they would have included more that wasn't explicitly tied to the mystery itself, it would have been so much better.

I think that it is not worth what they sell it for. While they do have some great things, the whole Strangerville pack is built around the mystery, and the fun ends all too quickly. It is more one of those 10-13 dollar packs, in my opinion.
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I enjoyed the mystery and find the shady acres neighborhood one of my favorites in all the worlds. Well worth the 20 bucks(bought on release).
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I disagree. It came my sims something to do and you can reply it as well if you want. People usually do replay video games or rewatch movies or they would just rent instead of buying it. Also it took me less than three days to complete. It took me two though in relating, it was more like a couple of hours and felt a bit too short. I found the concept unique and fun. It adds a bit of weirdness which this game desperately needs (reminds of Sims 2, which I loved).

I absolutely agree with that. I'm not bashing the concept of the pack. It was very fun to see the creators make something new and unique such as a mystery. The battle at the end gave me the last level of Ratchet and Clank vibes. lol. And the possessed faces were hilarious! But I think it's unfortunate that you can finish the main purpose of the pack in just a few days, unlike other packs. It's just not worth it to spend a few hours on something and be done with it...I do enjoy having a new city as well, but there just isn't enough substance for me.

How much does it cost to go to a movie these days? How much to eat out at a restaurant....even fast food? More than $20 I imagine.

Meanwhile, even though I completed the mystery ( I took my time and spread it out over more than a week) I still have a town, some great b/b additions to the game, and the option to start it up and get the weird going again. Which I intend to at some point. I just like Strangerville better with the weird skies and the pods, and the infected sims.

But really. Well worth $20 that I can still use. Vs a movie, or a fast food dinner.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2019
    fullspiral wrote: »

How much does it cost to go to a movie these days? How much to eat out at a restaurant....even fast food? More than $20 I imagine.

Meanwhile, even though I completed the mystery ( I took my time and spread it out over more than a week) I still have a town, some great b/b additions to the game, and the option to start it up and get the weird going again. Which I intend to at some point. I just like Strangerville better with the weird skies and the pods, and the infected sims.

But really. Well worth $20 that I can still use. Vs a movie, or a fast food dinner.

Movies tend to cost around $20 as a lot are blu-ray. Cheaper movies are the ones that been out for a long time, no special features or bombed at the box office. Fast Food is really expensive now too and at least movies and games have more value and use. The price of everything has gone up. But hey, that's why I wait for sales or look for sites that are cheaper. I was finally able to get Strangerville due to the big sale going on and pre-ordered Island Living cheaper from CDKeys.

Sales and shopping around really does come in handy for those on a budget. Oh there are also coupons. We use coupons all the time.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2019
    I’ve bought Strangerville in the sale for about $11, and I think it’s a decent pack, and that sales price is reasonable for me as someone who’s not big into that kind of “strange” stuff and story mode.

At least the strange stuff is harmless enough. :smile:

But I do love the CAS and B/B and the small world that comes with it! :heart:

(And at least it’s not 50 or 60 dollars!)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think that the Strangerville pack is a waste of money. The mystery looks very fun, but for an average simmer, it takes maybe three days tops to solve the mystery. After that, there is really nothing interesting to do, and nothing of value added to the pack besides the mystery...and since I've already seen gameplay of the mystery being solved, I'd much rather put my money on a better pack. It was a creative idea, but maybe there should have been layers, perhaps updates with new mysteries to solve?

Edit: To clarify, I do not think that the pack isn't worth any money or that it is not a good pack, I just don't think it is worth what they sold it for, since the mystery ends so quickly. I would love to see the creators maybe continue the mystery or add new ones, since the pack is purposed around the mystery.

I look at Strangerville as a bigger Stuff Pack with country themed stuff + a world pack like we had in Sims 3. I think I would have been more invested in buying sims 3 worlds if they had a playable backstory like Strangerville has... So, i am happy with strangerville and would gladly say goodbye to Stuff Packs if they turned them into world packs.
    BUT, i agree with you that the mystery is solved to quicly while leaving us with a lot of unaswered questions, like where the plant came from, who created it, why... etc...
  • Options
    YouYou Posts: 123 Member
    It’s not for everyone.
    I'm you.
  • Options
    Hmm...You strong supporters of the pack are making some good points. I'm glad that those of you who payed full price enjoyed it. But if I could have it my way, all of the packs would be VERY cheap...I still think it would be a much more tempting and worthwhile pack if there was more to the mystery, or additional mini mysteries that come with updates. However that would be a lot of work for the creators...At the end of the day I'm still disappointed at how short-lived the mystery was, and isn't that the appeal of the pack?
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I thought the story was kind of boring to play through, to be honest. But I don't regret buying it for the sale price. I think it had enough to make it worth the $11 even if I didn't care for the story.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited June 2019
    Everybody values packs differently, some love certain packs and others don't. Not really sure what the point of this thread is other then to say you don't like it? Thats cool. I do. Maybe somebody else doesn't. Maybe somebody else liked it and doesn't like it anymore. Maybe somebody who didn't like it, likes it now.

Or MAYBE ....well maybe I should find something to eat now..I'm hungry.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited June 2019

But that's normal for some players. With all the packs. :)
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

But that's normal for some players. With all the packs. :)

I agree. Even when the upcoming Island Living pack, there would be people who will discover all of its features and explore it in a matter of days.

• Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm going to disagree too, actually. I've said it quite a few times here, but the mystery is garbage. You don't really have antagonists until the end; there are no actual characters because the game has to rely on generic NPC sims; the "story" is just you gathering a bunch of items over and over again; and there's so much tedious backtracking. I love the idea of a storyline to follow, but this was poorly executed. And something this shallow is the last thing Sim 4 needs right now.

All that said, it's still very well-made outside of the story. Laptops alone sold the pack for most people, but you also get a unique world with a lot of personality, a fantastic array of Build Mode items (particularly the clutter and decorations), solid CAS items, a decent-enough Military career, an interesting trait (Paranoid) and a way to play as a Dale Gribble-esque doomer, and that somewhat fun bugging system. This pack is really great for storytellers.

I'd say it's definitely worth the price if it's on sale or part of a bundle. The main gimmick's a wash, but other areas make up for it. And at least it's better than Outdoor Retreat.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Strikes me as a glorified stuff pack. Interesting, but not worth the full price.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited June 2019
    I felt it should have been almost a spin-off something like Sims Midevil or Castaway but like a minigame. I wasn't a fan of how they took away the freedom of making my own stories. I bought to 'try something new' thinking I would give it a shot, but I feel it took away from the major component of Sims Games: You rule. Instead, I feel Strangerville turned the sims 4 slogan into you follow instructions.

edit: the bb/cas stuff was OK, and the world was OK, but I don't see it being worth $20.00 they want to it at full price. I rarely use anything from this pack tbqh.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    If you like the world and build mode objects that come with the pack, that's great. But the pack was centered around the mystery, not the stuff. And the mystery is a bit of a let down. A lot of people above me have said that the mystery itself was mediocre, ended too quickly, didn't make sense, ect. but almost everyone has said something good about the stuff. Lets remember this is a game pack that's purpose is the mystery. It's not a stuff pack, and that's why I find it to be not worth the money. If you are satisfied with paying the release price of $20 just for the stuff, that's fine. But seeing as it's a game pack, the mystery is really the entree and is not worth it.
  • Options
    SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    Trying to do a finite story like they did within the Sims can be challenging, but I'd pay 20 for the doors and windows tho.