Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear SimGurus, MERMAIDS have no transformation...

FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
edited June 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
You guys did an amazing job on Island Living, but you forgot to add a transform animation or visual indicator when a human becomes a mermaid after eating the mermaid kelp.

Deligracy already criticized that in her mermaid video, why isn‘t there a Transformation when turning a human into a mermaid for the first time? (At 16:10) Vampires and PlantSims have one, just seems weird that mermaids have none.
https://youtu.be/O32XdRkPtR4&t=16m10s
You could easily reuse the vampire and PlantSim transform animation and add some bubble effects and you got it
PAQs4mu.jpg
a256aFi.gif
Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think this adds to the secrecy of mermaids. They are supposed to be a legend around the island, but everybody seems to know about vampires and plant sims and aliens. Mermaids are more of a legend to scare people from going to far out to sea and getting attacked by sharks (this IS a feature in the new pack!).
    funny-gifs20.gif

• FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think this adds to the secrecy of mermaids. They are supposed to be a legend around the island, but everybody seems to know about vampires and plant sims and aliens. Mermaids are more of a legend to scare people from going to far out to sea and getting attacked by sharks (this IS a feature in the new pack!).

No I mean when a Sim eats the mermaid kelp and they turn from Sim into a mermaid for the FIRST TIME. It‘s great for story telling purposes since you worked hard to get the mermaid kelp to turn your Sim into a mermaid, but no transformation animation happens. They just stand there doing nothing

Also in Sims 3 we had a transformation when a normal Sim became a Mermaid after eating the kelp
    mermaidtransformation.jpg
    a256aFi.gif

No I mean when a Sim eats the mermaid kelp and they turn from Sim into a mermaid for the FIRST TIME. It‘s great for story telling purposes since you worked hard to get the mermaid kelp to turn your Sim into a mermaid, but no transformation animation happens. They just stand there doing nothing

Also in Sims 3 we had a transformation when a normal Sim became a Mermaid after eating the kelp

Yeah, it doesn't bother me that much.
    funny-gifs20.gif

But as Deligracy said, for story tellers it‘s important since that could be a major plot point, but your Sim just stands around without any animation
    a256aFi.gif
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It may be a bummer for some story tellers, like the ones that do videos. It is of no difference to me, I do play the game to tell stories, but not to share.
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I mean, it isn't a deal breaker, but it isn't perfect. A moodlet works for me, but I feel like it needs more emotional weight, at least.
  • MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    I think if they just added some subtle music or animation, it would please both parties. Like a little song that lasts 4 or 5 seconds (so it doesnt bug ppl and can be modded out) or the sims does a very simple animation (like they touch their throat to indicate they feel thirsty)
    @ClarionOfJoy

I don't view "transformations" into another occult as meaningful gameplay. It is just a pretty visual. You can be upset with that if you choose. What I want is something they have yet to do, which is make the traits of a sim actually matter. Give the sims a memory system that does not involve a select time on a moodlet. Make it harder to just earn money from hobbies. Stuff like that has more meaning to me. The game thus far has been concentrated too much on being visually pretty and less on that I deem as gameplay footage.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy

I don't view "transformations" into another occult as meaningful gameplay. It is just a pretty visual. You can be upset with that if you choose. What I want is something they have yet to do, which is make the traits of a sim actually matter. Give the sims a memory system that does not involve a select time on a moodlet. Make it harder to just earn money from hobbies. Stuff like that has more meaning to me. The game thus far has been concentrated too much on being visually pretty and less on that I deem as gameplay footage.

That's not the topic of this thread though is it? What you're talking about is has already been covered in a multiple of other threads. (And I have no idea why the devs haven't addressed those complaints.) One of the reasons why TS4 feels "empty" is because there are so many shortcuts to animations or animations being reused for so many things. So having no mermaid transformation just adds to the "emptiness" of this game.

But as Deligracy said, for story tellers it‘s important since that could be a major plot point, but your Sim just stands around without any animation

I am a story teller.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2019
    because It's not a Magical Transformation?

Yes Mermaids are Supernatural, creatures, however eating kelp is simply a biological transformation.
    It's... like Gillyweed, and I hate that I'm using this reference... It' like when Harry Potter eats Gillyweed to win that one Tournament in the Goblet of Fire... Ugh Harry Potter lore...

It's a subtle transformation.
    Now if they used a Spell to do it Like In the little Mermaid, Ursula's Cauldron effects, or Triton's Trident, Then it might be more extravagant transformation. But Then again eating kelp to become a mermaid, I know there's not logic or lore behind it, but then Shouldn't that be a temporary Status? Like eating a Forbidden fruit to be a plant sim, you have to keep eating forbidden fruit to remain a plant sim. Wouldn't you have to keep eating kelp to remain a mermaid?
    But they Said if a Human eats one sea kelp, they turn. if a Mermaid eats two back to back, they turn into a human permanently... again no logic or lore behind it.

Other than what they did, or I guess they didn't do, Maybe if the sim ate kelp and fell sick due to a sudden lack of Water, as a side effect of eating the kelp, and was really thirsty, the moment they get in water they would turn and maybe it would be this grand reveal. That's how I would do it, it definitely wouldn't be the Sims 3 swirling vortex of bubbles.

I just hope this means they splurged all the money for animations on the Realm of Magic GP.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

Yes Mermaids are Supernatural, creatures, however eating kelp is simply a biological transformation.
    It's... like Gillyweed, and I hate that I'm using this reference... It' like when Harry Potter eats Gillyweed to win that one Tournament in the Goblet of Fire... Ugh Harry Potter lore...

Now if they used a Spell to do it Like In the little Mermaid, Ursula's Cauldron effects, or Triton's Trident, Then it might be more extravagant transformation.

I just hope this means they splurged all the money for animations on the Realm of Magic GP.

You're referencing things outside of the world of The Sims. The better reference would be TS3, which DID have an animation for the transformation. It's pretty great too. So I don't understand why they didn't put it in TS4. Maybe there wasn't enough in the budget to add it in or the game engine couldn't handle much more animations that they excluded it? Either way, this is why I don't like TS4 much. And it makes me feel sad when TS4 simmers try to make excuses for it.

• dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    It bothers me somewhat. Becoming a mermaid is a pretty big deal, you think the sims wouldn't feel anything at all different? Only enough for a moodlet?
    It's underwhelming and unrealistic that they have no reaction to something so huge. Moodlets are a big cop out.
    They have two animations for mermaids in CAS, one with fish swimming and one that's a splash of water, both would suffice to be re-used for the transformation.
    It also irks me that the animation from the trailer of the mermaid entering the water isn't actually how their tails appear in game. They just show up.
    @ClarionOfJoy

That's not the topic of this thread though is it? What you're talking about is has already been covered in a multiple of other threads. (And I have no idea why the devs haven't addressed those complaints.) One of the reasons why TS4 feels "empty" is because there are so many shortcuts to animations or animations being reused for so many things. So having no mermaid transformation just adds to the "emptiness" of this game.

But I am a storyteller and do not see a transformation animation as important. I am more interested in what actual gameplay that can be done since I do not use many mods for my storytelling. Basically what is being described as missed is a "look pretty" animation, at least to me.
    @ClarionOfJoy

But I am a storyteller and do not see a transformation animation as important. I am more interested in what actual gameplay that can be done since I do not use many mods for my storytelling. Basically what is being described as missed is a "look pretty" animation, at least to me.

But we already have the animation, they just need to add it to mermaids as well.

Did you watch Deligracy‘s video? She also was thinking it was kind of weird. The Sim was just standing around doing nothing. That‘s not what happens when your Sim turns into another occult! There‘s always a transformation.
    a256aFi.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »

Now if they used a Spell to do it Like In the little Mermaid, Ursula's Cauldron effects, or Triton's Trident, Then it might be more extravagant transformation. But Then again eating kelp to become a mermaid, I know there's not logic or lore behind it, but then Shouldn't that be a temporary Status? Like eating a Forbidden fruit to be a plant sim, you have to keep eating forbidden fruit to remain a plant sim. Wouldn't you have to keep eating kelp to remain a mermaid?
    But they Said if a Human eats one sea kelp, they turn. if a Mermaid eats two back to back, they turn into a human permanently... again no logic or lore behind it.

Other than what they did, or I guess they didn't do, Maybe if the sim ate kelp and fell sick due to a sudden lack of Water, as a side effect of eating the kelp, and was really thirsty, the moment they get in water they would turn and maybe it would be this grand reveal. That's how I would do it, it definitely wouldn't be the Sims 3 swirling vortex of bubbles.

In the movie "Splash" (Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah) the hero doesn't even become a full mermaid -- he's able to breathe underwater if he's with the mermaid.

Personally I'm more interested if there'll be a cheat to trigger volcano eruptions than how Sims turn to/from merSim state, but then again that's just how I roll. B) (And I've got a week to get my Sim to earn the Gardening aspiration reward of fireproof -- it'll come in handy for those hot rocks...)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I mean, turning into a vampire is a coded thing in pop culture, turning into a mermaid not so much ? The other way around, mermaid turning human, feels more common.

I see the kelp as mechanics to play catch-up with sims you already created but in hindsight should have been mermaids all along.
    Unless I'm missing something and there really is a deep lore behind the magic kelp, and not just "oh yeah mermaids they've always been there on Sulani, that guy here is Jim he was born with the tail, you just never saw it before because he's shy."

Maybe in realm of magic you could get another scenario, buying a potion off a witch to transform, w/ animations et all.
    edited June 2019

The fact that I don't want my sims doing a sparkly animation when they become mermaids does not make my stories bad. Yes, it's a big deal, but if it were to happen at a crowded beach I don't want everybody on the lot to come and look at it and suddenly everybody knows the sim is a mermaid. Sure, they could do it at home, but again. I'm a storyteller. I script everything. It might not fit the storyline for them to do it at home. Because I disagree with something does not make my stories bad. And as you said with your post afterwards, we will take anything the guru's give us. Where did that idea come from? I am not buying My First Pet stuff and probably never will. The same is probably true for the Moschino Stuff Pack, and I will only be buying Get To Work for the aliens. Plain and simple. Oh, and why blame us that don't care about the lack of an animation if there isn't one in Realm of Magic? This has nothing to do with us.

[Removed quoted post ~Rtas]
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
    funny-gifs20.gif

edited June 2019
    PlantSims also have a transformation animation after a Sim eats a forbidden fruit. But there is no animation when a Sim eats a mermadic kelp to become a mermaid.

In Sims 3 mermaids had a transform animation when a Sim turned into a mermaid after eating the kelp.
    a256aFi.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Last mermaid movie I saw was like 20 years ago (Disney’s Little Mermaid) if I recall correctly she had a pretty lively transformation. Let’s be honest the exclusion of any sort of visual transformation is just so they can continue to say occult’s are better when they get their own pack versus being included in an expansion. It’s not like this is complicated for them they did it for a free patch occult (plantsims) it’s just laziness that’s stopping them from doing it in this pack that actually costs money.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    When TS4 simmers act like something doesn't matter, it just encourages the devs to continue putting out packs that aren't as detailed as previous iterations. You're part of the problem. Please don't do this anymore.
    Eh. I get what you mean, but that's a bit harsh. Constructive criticism is what makes the game good at the end, I agree, but a lot of times simmers simply complain about everything, without being actually helpful. This "Sims 4 will never be good enough" mentality isn't very encouraging as well but rather frustrating.

Like, for example, for me it doesn't matter there are no "functional" babies, cars, a color wheel or an open world. I'm not missing these features, I couldn't care less for them. And I'm free to express that, as well as the other simmer.

But back to topic. Becoming a mermaid is magical, so a proper transformation would be appreciated. I hope they're adding it before the pack release (kinda unlikely, though) or in a future patch.
    Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
    English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
    tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2019
    I’m pretty disappointed by the lack of a transformation, (though not a deal breaker to not buy the pack obviously).

I mean, there are two very quick, but very pretty/cool looking transformation animations for the mermaid forms within CAS already! Re-use that, devs/gurus!
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2019

It may be a bummer for some story tellers, like the ones that do videos. It is of no difference to me, I do play the game to tell stories, but not to share.

When TS4 simmers act like something doesn't matter, it just encourages the devs to continue putting out packs that aren't as detailed as previous iterations. You're part of the problem.

Please don't do this anymore. Hold the fire to the devs' feet and push them to do better. I think Island Living is a good pack because people wanted more out of the previous packs and the devs listened. However, it could have been better as can be seen by the complaints already coming out. It's not to put the pack in a bad light - it's still a nice pack - but I hope the complaints encourage the devs to put more details in for the Uni and Supernatural packs (and any other packs after this).

For me, the Island Living EP gives me real hope that EAxis may be returning to making great packs once again as in previous iterations. And in turn, if we keep urging them, then TS5 will be AMAZING!

Exactly. This is part of the reason why EA never pushes past the limit with the sims and it's because simmers are okay with the bare minimum. We gotta stop accepting and encouraging half baked effort/work from them, but then have the never to complain about why they didn't this or improve that. Sure the lack of a transformation animation isn't a huge game deal breaker but it IS lazy, cutting corners work. It's the same lazy, cutting corners work that left sims 3 riddles with bugs and glitches so bad that the modders had to come in and fix some of their mess and why sims 4 is a step back from 2 and 3 in the entire franchise/series. We had transformation animations for vamps, werewolves, and mermaids in sims 3 so there's really no excuse for there not to be a transformation in the game here.
    giphy.gif

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The SimGurus forgot to add a transformation animation or visual indicator when a normal Sim becomes a mermaid after eating the mermaid kelp.

Deligracy already criticized that in her mermaid video, why isn‘t there a Transformation when turning a normal Sim into a mermaid for the first time? (At 16:10) Vampires and PlantSims have one, just seems weird that mermaids have none.
    https://youtu.be/O32XdRkPtR4&t=16m10s
    You could easily reuse the vampire and PlantSim transform animation and add some bubble effects and you got it
    PAQs4mu.jpg

It costs money to do that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.