Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Windows 7-10 Fixes

Comments

• luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Hey guys! This thread was super helpful for me in getting Sims 2 UC to work on my laptop, but after I play for about 4ish hours the game crashes on me. It's happened on different lots, different families, but seems to be after a few hours of playing. I've never had this issue before so I don't know what could be causing it. I'm on Windows 10, if that has anything to do with anything. Any help is appreciated!
  • ReittisReittis Posts: 21 Member
    Hi!

I installed The Sims 2 Ultimate collection on a Windows 10 64-bit system. The game refuses to start, and the mouse and keyboard stop responding to the invitations. I've tried compatibility window in Windows XP and Windows 7 settings, but does not help. Does this work in the latest version of Windows 10?

I tried to edit GraphicRules.sgr file and install 4 GB patch but not working.
  • dezoutlouddezoutloud Posts: 35 Member
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Hey guys! This thread was super helpful for me in getting Sims 2 UC to work on my laptop, but after I play for about 4ish hours the game crashes on me. It's happened on different lots, different families, but seems to be after a few hours of playing. I've never had this issue before so I don't know what could be causing it. I'm on Windows 10, if that has anything to do with anything. Any help is appreciated!

Yall know how old this thread is? Lol. With the game closed, go to Documents> EA Games > Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and you should see two files, Accessory.cache and Groups.cache. Delete them both, then reload the game. If it works, Go back to the two new files and right click, go to properties, and check read only for both files. The biggest problem with the sims 2 is its absolutely packed with the potential for corruption without you knowing it, it's possible your caches are corrupted.
    Reittis wrote: »
    Hi!

I installed The Sims 2 Ultimate collection on a Windows 10 64-bit system. The game refuses to start, and the mouse and keyboard stop responding to the invitations. I've tried compatibility window in Windows XP and Windows 7 settings, but does not help. Does this work in the latest version of Windows 10?

Have you just installed and it hasn't run at all or has it run in the past and now it's not?
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    dezoutloud wrote: »
    luxsylvan wrote: »

Yall know how old this thread is? Lol. With the game closed, go to Documents> EA Games > Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and you should see two files, Accessory.cache and Groups.cache. Delete them both, then reload the game. If it works, Go back to the two new files and right click, go to properties, and check read only for both files. The biggest problem with the sims 2 is its absolutely packed with the potential for corruption without you knowing it, it's possible your caches are corrupted.

Ah I knew it was old but people still seemed to be posting so I figured I'd try anyway 😅 thanks for the help though, I'll do that and hopefully it works!
    > @dezoutloud said:
    > Reittis wrote: »
    >
    > Hi!
    >
    > I installed The Sims 2 Ultimate collection on a Windows 10 64-bit system. The game refuses to start, and the mouse and keyboard stop responding to the invitations. I've tried compatibility window in Windows XP and Windows 7 settings, but does not help. Does this work in the latest version of Windows 10?
    >
    > I tried to edit GraphicRules.sgr file and install 4 GB patch but not working.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you just installed and it hasn't run at all or has it run in the past and now it's not?

When I installed this game and start. If i change the resolution to full hd, the game will not start at all. Default Resolution will start, but very slowly even if the initial startup is done. Computer is modern and custom.
  • k_reeser1k_reeser1 Posts: 153 Member
    Hi!

same issue here the thing is you have to wait 5-10 min!! game launches up great just give it time
    untitled.png

> @k_reeser1 said:
    >
    > Hi!
    >
    > I installed The Sims 2 Ultimate collection on a Windows 10 64-bit system. The game refuses to start, and the mouse and keyboard stop responding to the invitations. I've tried compatibility window in Windows XP and Windows 7 settings, but does not help. Does this work in the latest version of Windows 10?
    >
    > I tried to edit GraphicRules.sgr file and install 4 GB patch but not working.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > same issue here the thing is you have to wait 5-10 min!! game launches up great just give it time

Yeah but if I install this Ultimate collections on Windows XP (old computer), the game start in practice instantly. So I think that problem is inside Windows 10 system and this game compatibility. Even compatibility mode doesn't really help.
  • k_reeser1k_reeser1 Posts: 153 Member
    correct,windows 10 needs an extreme amount of loading time.
    untitled.png

> @k_reeser1 said:
    > correct,windows 10 needs an extreme amount of loading time.

And The Sims 2 does not work in Virtualbox Windows XP virtual system because it requires DirectX what Virtualbox does not support. I have to take the old XP machine out of the closet whereby I can play the game with good resolution and fast start.
  • RawxRawx Posts: 3 New Member
    Does anyone have a fix it not responding on startup?, I haven't even been able to get into the game. Have tried compatibility mode and running as admin, as well as the 4GB patch, so far nothing has worked.
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    If on Windows 10, you just need to let the computer sit there for 5 minutes after launching the game before it will actually get to the EA logo. It might look and sound like it's doing nothing, but it should be there in task manager. Just leave it alone so you don't trigger the "not responding/end task" message and it should start up fine. I don't know why it takes so long to start up, but it does.
    k_reeser1 wrote: »
    correct,windows 10 needs an extreme amount of loading time.

It could just be your computer. I have Windows 10 with an i-7 processor and 16 gb of ram and the sims 2 UC runs and loads in like 2 seconds the moment I hit "Play". Any less and your computer is gonna struggle, its a 13gb game, so running it with the highest graphics settings could be a struggle unless your computer has high enough specs.
    > @dezoutloud said:
    >

When I installed this game and start. If i change the resolution to full hd, the game will not start at all. Default Resolution will start, but very slowly even if the initial startup is done. Computer is modern and custom.

What are the specs of your computer? Go to Settings > System > About
    Processor and Installed RAM

Also what is the default resolution on the computer? That's in Settings > System > Display and under Resolution there should be a menu that will show you whatever the recommended setting is.
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hi, I'm not sure if anyone else is having trouble getting the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to start on the latest version of Windows 10 or if it's just me. The game was working just fine several months ago, but when I went to start it up today it acts like it's going to launch in the Windows taskbar, but then immediately stops responding and locks up my keyboard and mouse. The only option I have at this point is to use CTRL + ALT + DEL to reboot the computer. As far as I know nothing has changed since I last played except some updates to Windows 10. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help.

Here are some things I've tried that have been mentioned in earlier posts:

Repairing the game through Origin.
    Removing all custom content.
    Deleting the cache files.
    Tried starting the game in various compatibility modes.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    @Kendrana even though you will lost your save but try deleting the Sims 2 file in your documents as that will regenerate it when you launch the game.

You can copy a back up somewhere before deleting it incase it doesnt work
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hi, @Finbar659. Thanks for your reply. I tried that, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. Like I mentioned, the only thing that I can think of that has changed since I played several months ago was updates to the Win 10 operating system.
  • MaglxisbackMaglxisback Posts: 250 Member
    Im on windows 10 here and its running perfectly
    > @dezoutloud said:
    > k_reeser1 wrote: »
    >
    > correct,windows 10 needs an extreme amount of loading time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It could just be your computer. I have Windows 10 with an i-7 processor and 16 gb of ram and the sims 2 UC runs and loads in like 2 seconds the moment I hit "Play". Any less and your computer is gonna struggle, its a 13gb game, so running it with the highest graphics settings could be a struggle unless your computer has high enough specs.
    >
    > > @dezoutloud said:
    > > Reittis wrote: »
    > >
    >
    > When I installed this game and start. If i change the resolution to full hd, the game will not start at all. Default Resolution will start, but very slowly even if the initial startup is done. Computer is modern and custom.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What are the specs of your computer? Go to Settings > System > About
    > Processor and Installed RAM
    >
    > Also what is the default resolution on the computer? That's in Settings > System > Display and under Resolution there should be a menu that will show you whatever the recommended setting is.

- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AM4, 3.7 GHz, 8-core
    - Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SSD, 2.5", V-NAND MLC, SATA III, 550/520 MB/S
    - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX Red, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.2V
    - Thermalright Macho Direct -Cpucooling, LGA115x/2011(-3), AMD AM2(+),AM3(+)/FM1/FM2(+)/AM4
    - Corsair 750W RM750x (2018), power, 80 Plus Gold
    - Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium Edition, ATX -miditocase
    - ASRock X470 Master SLI, ATX-motherboard
    - Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+ graphics card, 8GB HBM2
    - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    - Asus 27" MG279Q IPS-monitor WQHD, 144Hz, Freesync, pivot, DP/mDP/2xHDMI/USB 3.0

So performance is enough to endlessly and others newer games star less than10 seconds..
    > @Reittis said:
    > > @dezoutloud said:
    > > k_reeser1 wrote: »
    > >
    > > correct,windows 10 needs an extreme amount of loading time.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > It could just be your computer. I have Windows 10 with an i-7 processor and 16 gb of ram and the sims 2 UC runs and loads in like 2 seconds the moment I hit "Play". Any less and your computer is gonna struggle, its a 13gb game, so running it with the highest graphics settings could be a struggle unless your computer has high enough specs.
    > > Reittis wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @dezoutloud said:
    > > > Reittis wrote: »
    > > >
    > >
    > > When I installed this game and start. If i change the resolution to full hd, the game will not start at all. Default Resolution will start, but very slowly even if the initial startup is done. Computer is modern and custom.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > What are the specs of your computer? Go to Settings > System > About
    > > Processor and Installed RAM
    > >
    > > Also what is the default resolution on the computer? That's in Settings > System > Display and under Resolution there should be a menu that will show you whatever the recommended setting is.
    >
    >
    > - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AM4, 3.7 GHz, 8-core
    > - Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SSD, 2.5", V-NAND MLC, SATA III, 550/520 MB/S
    > - Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX Red, DDR4 2666MHz, CL16, 1.2V
    > - Thermalright Macho Direct -Cpucooling, LGA115x/2011(-3), AMD AM2(+),AM3(+)/FM1/FM2(+)/AM4
    > - Corsair 750W RM750x (2018), power, 80 Plus Gold
    > - Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium Edition, ATX -miditocase
    > - ASRock X470 Master SLI, ATX-motherboard
    > - Sapphire RX Vega 64 NITRO+ graphics card, 8GB HBM2
    > - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    > - Asus 27" MG279Q IPS-monitor WQHD, 144Hz, Freesync, pivot, DP/mDP/2xHDMI/USB 3.0
    >
    > So performance is enough to endlessly and others newer games star less than10 seconds..
    >

Asus 27" MG279Q IPS monitor default resolution is 2560x1440. This problem occurred during the previous Dell monitor which resolution was Full HD and the on another Windows 10 computer.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I'm playing on windows 10 and the game runs fine for about 20ish minutes before crashing at various parts in the game. It's always at a different spot or household. The only thing I can do is save often but it gets annoying with how much it crashes. I fixed my screen resolution and the graphics card issue with the graphics ruler but my game still crashes.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • MissaMullinsMissaMullins Posts: 17 Member
    Ha, yea, all these tweaks messing with the graphics rules does nothing for the problem. I have a NEW gaming laptop and TS2 worked fine on my Win7 that I upgraded to Win10. I tried changing the file myself or to installing someone else's file (two different people) uploaded. None of them work and people just seem to give up. It's really aggravating when you see people saying that it doesn't work but yet you pass it off to other people who also say it does not work, too. I know you guys think you are really helping people but if it doesn't work for everyone maybe that is not the fix we need. I am currently playing castaways, life stories, and pet stories, all sims 2 spin-offs without a problem other than the tiny screen that can't be fixed changing the GR there is no resolution setting for the 320x200 in there, and there is no DirectX popup and it's not in window mode. What happened to the good old days of fixing the ".ini's" and calling it a day but now those files don't exist and we just seem to screw the game up even more by messing with properties that have nothing to do with a missing DirectX file. If it's DirectX its DirectX, not some gaming card. DirectX is a Microsoft issue, not a graphic card issue. As long as I have been dealing with The Sims games people always think they are so smart and say "it's your graphics card, or send me your Dxdiag file", it's not always so simple! Every problem I ever had people always wanted my Dxdiag and was fixed without it by not listening to EA that didn't make you feel like your computer was the problem.
  • MoneyquarterMoneyquarter Posts: 8 New Member
    This is a completely new approach that has had a lot of success for users with powerful graphic cards. If you've stumbled across this thread, give my guide a try and report how it goes!

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/d6852h/stop_sims_2_purple_soup_crashes_on_windows_10_and/
    > @Moneyquarter said:
    > This is a completely new approach that has had a lot of success for users with powerful graphic cards. If you've stumbled across this thread, give my guide a try and report how it goes!
    >
    > https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/d6852h/stop_sims_2_purple_soup_crashes_on_windows_10_and/

d9vk-sims2.zip downlad link is dead.
    > @Reittis said:
    > > @Moneyquarter said:
    > > This is a completely new approach that has had a lot of success for users with powerful graphic cards. If you've stumbled across this thread, give my guide a try and report how it goes!
    > >
    > > https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/d6852h/stop_sims_2_purple_soup_crashes_on_windows_10_and/
    >
    >
    > d9vk-sims2.zip downlad link is dead.
    >

What? There's no Zip link. There's a link to GitHub Releases and you should be looking for the tar.gz file.
    Ah! I figured out that slight pothole in the documentation. It is fixed now. Please look again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top