Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 should be much more Advanced , with more Player control.More player involvement.

EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
Even if you want to claim that you dont want The Sims to be just like real life, thats cool and that isnt the point. That isnt really the argument im making here either. Its about just how little effort has been made to actually make the games an immersive and fun experience. In sims 3 there were imaginary movie theaters. And our sims would disappear inside to have popcorn and watch movies on the big screen while you waited outside. And Imaginary diners where sims would teleport to their booths and have all this pretend food and you would imagine them being inside and having this great time.There were also Imaginary spas, where your sims would go to treat themselves to saunas and back rubs, but you couldnt get a peek inside. And make believe sports arenas where sims sat back with hot dogs and refreshments and watched games you could never see. And even imaginary tombs at the graveyard where sims would go inside and become spooked by something scary. But you had to imagine what it might be.

I think that so far, the sims games have failed to be proper life simulations at all. And if Sims 5 is more of the same, what is the incentive to shell out the money for it? After I have already invested literally hundreds of dollars on Sims 4 and if you combine Sims 1,2,3 and 4 over the years thats well over $1000 of content just to be able to do the same stunted imaginary play in each new game.

Rabbit holes, should be optional, for those who want less .But those of us who dont want to imagine and pretend our way through a game that calls itself a life simulation, we should have the chance to play a game where all of the activities can be actively participated with by the player. And OPEN to us. In sims 4 it has been announced that one of the new water activities it just a rabbit hole. Why is it that we are still being forced to play in such a closed off manner? You have those who dont mind rabbit holes and thats okay. But what if I dont want just another building shell to run off too. It should not be on me the player, to imagine things. I dont want that, I want to be a part of the gameplay.

I need more for Sims 5 in order for me to actually buy it, because im not buying a 5th title for the same tired and rehashed experience. There is honestly no reason to even create a new title , if you're not going to innovate and expand to new heights you've never before reached. Us original simmers are getting older now. Sims 5 should be a new sims experience.Allow us to have more openness and more gameplay abilities than we ever had before.
"Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
Post edited by EnjoyfulSimmer on

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    because not everyone's computer not even GAMING computers can handle an open world? Not everyone wants to follow our sim to movie theatres-I mean when you can get off your bottom and GO to a real movie theatre? Why would I want to follow my sim into a dinner-it would just be the same as what we got w/ Dine Out sure its nice. Do you want to follow your children and teens to school I mean what could they do AT school ? Would you want to follow teens to their part-time jobs when you can go and get one of those part-time jobs for yourself in real life?
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited June 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »
    because not everyone's computer not even GAMING computers can handle an open world? Not everyone wants to follow our sim to movie theatres-I mean when you can get off your bottom and GO to a real movie theatre? Why would I want to follow my sim into a dinner-it would just be the same as what we got w/ Dine Out sure its nice. Do you want to follow your children and teens to school I mean what could they do AT school ? Would you want to follow teens to their part-time jobs when you can go and get one of those part-time jobs for yourself in real life?

That is just about the weakest argument Ive ever heard. Why not just do it all in real life? That defeats the purpose of playing the sims. Whose motto was once "Play with Life." Disappearing into fake structures is not playing with life. The "why dont you just go to the movies in real life?" argument doesnt work. I play games, because I want to. I have no interest in pretend things being done where I can not see them and I will not be settling for more of that with Sims 5. You are free to , if thats something that thrills you. But it doesnt thrill or impress me.

More pertaining to this conversation, rabbit holes are not consistent with realism or life simulation whatsoever. Your comment makes it very clear that you do not care about realism or world or gameplay immersion. But many players do.

actually they are-sometimes. In a way-I go to a mall rabbithole in real life to get away from my dad. I mean do you know how diffcult it would be to play a computer with EVERY SINGLE thing open? I bet you don't.. it was hard enough with the Sims 3 to have the worlds open without the movie theatres being open- Sims 4 style is better (granted we could use some movie theatres since I would like a soda fountain for my Dine Out Restaurants and how about a retail version of a popcorn machine both past and current versions?)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member

That is just about the weakest argument Ive ever heard. Why not just do it all in real life? That defeats the purpose of playing the sims. Whose motto was once "Play with Life." Disappearing into fake structures is not playing with life. The "why dont you just go to the movies in real life?" argument doesnt work. I play games, because I want to. I have no interest in pretend things being done where I can not see them and I will not be settling for more of that with Sims 5. You are free to , if thats something that thrills you. But it doesnt thrill or impress me.

More pertaining to this conversation, rabbit holes are not consistent with realism or life simulation whatsoever. Your comment makes it very clear that you do not care about realism or world or gameplay immersion. But many players do.

actually they are-sometimes. In a way-I go to a mall rabbithole in real life to get away from my dad. I mean do you know how diffcult it would be to play a computer with EVERY SINGLE thing open? I bet you don't.. it was hard enough with the Sims 3 to have the worlds open without the movie theatres being open- Sims 4 style is better (granted we could use some movie theatres since I would like a soda fountain for my Dine Out Restaurants and how about a retail version of a popcorn machine both past and current versions?)

Rabbit holes are in no way immersive . They are the very definition of the break of immersion. And they arent realistic. Nowhere in real life does anyone disappear into buildings that can't be entered or seen inside of and then pop out with like nothing ever happened. But because of the first remark you made about doing things in the game being pointless because we can just do all of it in real life, I see no reason to discuss this topic further, with you in particular. Because we absolutely fundamentally disagree about what this game is and what it claims to be . And anyone who tells somebody to "just just go and do something in real life" in response to criticizing a SIMS game,that is all about mimicking real life, is not someone I can reasonably have a common sense discussion with :) So lets just agree to disagree and move on.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Rabbit-Holes are there to prevent crashes and allow a maximum amount of people to play the game. I don't think they can turn rabbit-holes off without changing everyones game. If everything in ts4 was active then I wouldn't be able to play.
    funny-gifs20.gif

edited June 2019
    Rabbit-Holes are there to prevent crashes and allow a maximum amount of people to play the game. I don't think they can turn rabbit-holes off without changing everyones game. If everything in ts4 was active then I wouldn't be able to play.

If sims 5 is no different than sims 3 or 4 as far as the advancements made then I will absolutely not waste any money. I'll leave that to people who want to line their pockets for ZERO innovation and progress and the same gameplay and same experiences just re-branded and repackaged. Heck the freaking no. Sims games aren't cheap. $40 per pop on an EP. Sims 5 would have to be earth shatteringly innovative and advanced gameplay wise in order for me to invest.
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I agree that each iteration of the sims should bring something new to the table but also include features of previous games. The sims 4 base game imho should have been able to do everything the Sims 3 base game did but added something to it. The Development team should be looking at what made sims games fun in the past and ask themselves "How did 1 2 and 3 do this and how can I make this better?" That's what any sequel/new version of a game should do.

As for your rabbit hole argument, I'm not sure how some jobs would transfer to an active career all that well, Politician yes. Diver, yes. Astronaut would absolutely be an interesting active career(I imagine it would kind of be something like GTW scientists), but there are some such as Tech Guru I'm not sure would transfer to Active careers in a meaningful way especially at the higher ranks, since a Computer Programmer pretty much sits and types all day. Same with the higher ranking Business levels, the CEO will sit in an office and do what? Answer the phone and maybe cheat on their spouse with the secretary? ( < That is a bad tv based joke dont take it too seriously.)

Open world I could give or take, I can understand why they left it out this time, since originally Sims 4 was supposed to be online MMO type thing I guess. It took a while to get used to, but in the end so long as there is indepth game play and interesting sims then I'm fine with a closed world. I love Sims 2 or its depth and activities, even with its closed world. I love Sims 3 because I could go anywhere with my sim, I want to go collect that meteorite outside work? Or dive into the water to find special ocean life I went on an adventure with them. Do I want to explore this tomb and maybe be cursed by a mummy, do I want to fight a mummy? obviously. So I explore with them!

But sims 5 should absolutely strive for the best things that each game had to offer. Including an open world as well as other things that made sims 1 2 3 and 4 great games.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2019
    because not everyone's computer not even GAMING computers can handle an open world?
    Do you have source to verify this carried over myth through out the years that's been proven time and time open world is partially the problem of not handling the open world. Especially when such words usually come from people who run TS4 on toasters and can't tell whether their "gaming" rig is 64bit or lower.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    because not everyone's computer not even GAMING computers can handle an open world?
    Do you have source to verify this carried over myth through out the years that's been proven time and time open world is partially the problem of not handling the open world. Especially when such words usually come from people who run TS4 on toasters and can't tell whether their "gaming" rig is 64bit or lower.

and yet there are people are were barlely able to play Sims 3 with all EPs on GAMING computers. Heck Sims 4 with all the packs with 64 computers can't even handle window/laptop mode and yet they aren't toaster machines
    6adMCGP.gif
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    edited June 2019

and yet there are people are were barlely able to play Sims 3 with all EPs on GAMING computers. Heck Sims 4 with all the packs with 64 computers can't even handle window/laptop mode and yet they aren't toaster machines

I have a "gaming" computer I built myself 3 years ago and it plays 3 better than it does 4. Load times for 3 are actually better then 4's load times for me. I'm sure people have issues loading 3, but its not unplayable. And the computer I built isn't even considered the top of the line and I have everything for 3 installed (just not katy perrys sweet treats) runs as good as 4 for me. No mods and 3 GB of CC. Meanwhile in sims 4 I have 500MB of mods and CC.

If sims 3 is unplayable in a Rig similar to mine (i5, 16GB RAM, 1060 Nvidia) I'm more inclined to believe they have bad mods or bad CC than the game being barely playable.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I think the sims games should focus on letting the player play with life and experience different parts of life, have those magical moments when sims interact with each other in ways you did not expect and let you create your own story.
    Many games that are telling good stories are focusing on one point of view from the protagonist, the sims are supposed to help you create whatever story and world you want with any sim so the game should offer you options and give you opportunities to do that.

But I also think it should be a game, it should be entertaining and fun to play and offer new experiences for us in the forms of jobs, careers, activities, professions etc. Things that make gamers play games for hours and hours on end. And it is disappointing for me that much of that feels very limited by hardware or software restrictions.

I hope that the sims5 will not feel as restricted, but instead offer "wow" moments like other games do, like when you see incredible vistas or defeating a really hard boss in other games.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    I also think ts5 should not be made unless it brings new things to the table
    because in my eyes games have not changed enough from what they were when ts4 was made
    I can't really see anything that would be groundbreaking enough for me to want to buy ts5, start over with new game,
    wait for eps, get a new computer to run it... just no. the time just isn't here yet
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited June 2019

There's a time when technology is improving you have to follow it. It's life. You can stick up with previous games if you can't accept that.
    Lu4ERme.gif

There's a time when technology is improving you have to follow it. It's life. You can stick up with previous games if you can't accept that.

and not everyone can buy a gaming computer? I don't even have a JOB because of disability income
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

and not everyone can buy a gaming computer? I don't even have a JOB because of disability income

Like I said it's life, I don't understand why us who follow the technology should be "bothered" by people like you who can't? Like I said, if you can't follow, stick up with previous things. It's life, there's elders who use mobile phones, others don't, that's life.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

To be fair you don't necessary need a gaming computer ?

I agree with this.I play with low runner laptop.Its 64 bit,and was made in 2012.Im going to upgrade this year.To a gaming computer with rotting programs.Even my laptop can run sims 3,and 4 .With expansion packs with mostly no issue
    So I do wonder how many people were playing on stuff that did not meet the requirements
    So people are can only have old computers shouldn't be allowed to play newer Sim games just because you guys want every single thing to be opened up which would make some people's computers just crash? Jeeze and people think I'm self-centred. You guys are more self centred then I am

Be allowed , you are still allowed to play sims.Your not entitled for this game.I don't won't the whole world open up. I feel for those who have low end computers. The best thing to do is save, or get a part time job.

not possible on disability income not unless I want to decide between medication or roof over my head
    6adMCGP.gif
    So people are can only have old computers shouldn't be allowed to play newer Sim games just because you guys want every single thing to be opened up which would make some people's computers just crash? Jeeze and people think I'm self-centred. You guys are more self centred then I am

Be allowed , you are still allowed to play sims.Your not entitled for this game.I don't won't the whole world open up. I feel for those who have low end computers. The best thing to do is save, or get a part time job.

not possible on disability income not unless I want to decide between medication or roof over my head

Then I'm sorry, but maybe you can get extra job.Babysit , or find smaller jobs you can do.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited June 2019
    Techbilt wrote: »
    If sims 3 is unplayable in a Rig similar to mine (i5, 16GB RAM, 1060 Nvidia) I'm more inclined to believe they have bad mods or bad CC than the game being barely playable.

My system is an i7, 32GB RAM, GTX 970, and TS3 still runs poorly on my system. This is after a fresh install with no mods and only enabling a couple of expansions. I have long load times, a lot of camera stutter, etc. For me, TS4 runs perfectly with no issues, fast load times, no lag or camera stutter, etc and I have all of the current content.

And so the future of the Sims should be stunted because of your personal problems? I am astounded that some in this fan base think that is acceptable. No other game WORKS like that!!! Games need innovation and to deliver new advances in order to stay modern , current and interesting!

What they should do is make Sims 5 a very modern and impressive game, those who cant or wont keep up should not determine where this series goes.

Then I'm sorry, but maybe you can get extra job.Babysit , or find smaller jobs you can do.

even those are not allowed for anyone on disability beside I don't have a baby-sitter training. I mean 28/29 year old in a room full of 12-13+ children? Their parents would think I'm only there to do nasty stuff to their children /s

Whatever your special situation is, I don't want to see the Sims franchise held back and still the same old game on the 5th iteration due to things of this nature. I wont say anything about the last bit other than to say I would like for this post of mine to STAY on topic and about the growth of "The Sims", I dont want it veering into troubling and bizarre territory :/
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2019
    Personally I don’t need to be able to play each and every detail in the game to call it a life simulation game. It’s a game, not life. That mainly applies to rabbitholes like careers and school though. Making restaurants and shops and prom and an ocean a rabbithole is something else, those need to be open. Movie theatres? Meh, I don’t really see the fun in watching a room full of sims sittig in a chair watching a screen. My sims hardly ever watch tv either.

I do agree with the part in this discussion however that advocates the game needing a good computer. I want the game to be as complex and in depth as possible, I do want that open world and I want to be able to customize as much as possible. I’ll never understand why for other games that’s not a problem, but as a simmer I’m supposed to be ‘casual’ and not care about that? I do.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Personally I don’t need to be able to play each and every detail in the game to call it a life simulation game. It’s a game, not life. That mainly applies to rabbitholes like careers and school though. Making restaurants and shops and prom and an ocean a rabbithole is something else, those need to be open. Movie theatres? Meh, I don’t really see the fun in watching a room full of sims sittig in a chair watching a screen. My sims hardly ever watch tv either.

I do agree with the part in this discussion however that advocates the game needing a good computer. I want the game to be as complex and in depth as possible, I do want that open world and I want to be able to customize as much as possible. I’ll never understand why for other games that’s not a problem, but as a simmer I’m supposed to be ‘casual’ and not care about that. I do.

For me, I do need to be able to see every detail. Having everything OPEN makes it seem less fake. Yes, at the end of the day its a game. That does not mean it should not be a good game or a convincing game. Its comments like the ones there, that make this game NOT do more than the absolute minimum . If they think most of their fans dont care about cutting edge features, like seamless gameplay and realistic graphics and immersive gameplay, then why should they provide it?

To be honest, other games look better and are more impressive because the fans of those games would never go for anything less. They want cutting edge graphics and they want stunning gameplay. Sims fans are all "I want a game that can run on my weak computer." They are probably the only fan base of people who dont want to push the boundaries and see what this "Life simulation" idea can truly be.

And if thats the case. If Im asking too much from this fanbase. And Maxis listens to them and makes Sims 5 another rehash and it seems outdated and behind the times in comparison to other popular video games when its released, then I just won't play or partake in this community anymore. Because it seems like any requests for this series to BE more and DO more than it has before is met with resistance. Or a sense of why do we need this fancy feature, or all that high falluting 'nonsense'? we dont care about that, we just want a simple, cartoony game, with closed off environments! :|

What if I don't want another cartoony Sims game, that looks like a child's dollhouse? What if I want a more contemporary Simming experience?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Call me weird, but I like rabbit holes for some things, like work. When they walk out the door and disappear, I just imagine that they're commuting to another world somewhere off the map to do their job so for me it's not unimmersive at all. If you have to go to work/school with your Sim in order for them to progress and you have a family of 4-5, how do you choose who to follow each day? That's my main issue with the GTW careers. I do like the Work From Home careers where you choose to go to the rabbit hole or stay home and do required tasks, and I'd love to see that option added for schooling for children/teens. A mixture of the different types of careers (like we currently have) would be the best starting point for a theoretical/mythical Sims 5.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top