Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not too excited...

Anyone else with me? I usually love expansions and as a Sims fan, I just feel this expansion is lacking in gameplay. The neighborhood and items look beautiful but beautiful items aren’t enough to justify the price of an expansion. They could have at least added resorts to the game, but we get dolphins, mermaids, and sunburns?

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited June 2019
    Don’t we also have snorkelling/diving, the aqua jets, floats, beaches?

Don’t get me wrong I can see your point. I think much if the game play will be exclusive to the world. Although I read they will try and open up ocean swimming for all worlds. But I actually think this EP has a lot more game play potential than say Get Famous.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, I can understand, and I have some friends who feel that way. But they're more Sims 3 fans, and they feel that S4 packs are generally more bare

Personally I'm still excited though, but that's really a personal preference more than anything
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    And sharks, volcanos, boats/jet skis, new jobs and traits (CAS and lots...including a nudist one and off the grid, etc...), improved fishing, pool floats, interactive waterfall, snorkeling, new radio station, etc...a lot you are leaving out.

Even if exclusive, we have the ability to world hop which we couldn't before so even if you don't live there you can still experience a lot things and not everything is exclusive either (just the ocean and they said they are looking into the possibility of opening it up to all worlds).
  • jaymancrazjaymancraz Posts: 92 Member

Don’t get me wrong I can see your point. I think much if the game play will be exclusive to the world. Although I read they will try and open up ocean swimming for all worlds. But I actually think this EP has a lot more game play potential than say Get Famous.

Diving is a rabbit hole, Aqua jets don’t go far because there’s no open world, and beach water is literally flat. Not trying to be a Debby downer, but it seems like they tried to make this EP fit with the iteration of the game when it doesn’t. The very least they could’ve done was add a resort system which would have fit perfectly with systems already in the game. And I actually think Get Famous had much more realistic gameplay with the added social media elements.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2019
    Actually, it can go pretty far as the ocean is big and can still do quite a bit. It isn't a completely closed world, you can walk around neighborhoods for quite a distances before needing a loading screen.
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • jaymancrazjaymancraz Posts: 92 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Actually, it can do pretty far as the ocean is big and can still do quite a bit. It isn't a completely closed world, you can walk around neighborhoods for quite a distances before needing a loading screen.

I guess we just disagree which is fine. I just feel like this EP does the absolute bare minimum with features that don’t seem to work with this iteration of the game... Why are we paying for a volcano we can’t interact with and improved fishing? It just seems silly to me.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Hmm, it seems like a proper EP to me judging by the Youtube videos I've seen so far. I don't feel the same way about Get Famous - that was totally a game pack disguised as an EP. But this looks like it adds a lot more and I'm pretty hyped for it.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    In my opinion it adds more then Get Famous did.

You have
    Boats
    Beach activities
    An interactive waterfall
    Swimming and snorkeling
    Dolphins and more.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    jaymancraz wrote: »

Diving is a rabbit hole, Aqua jets don’t go far because there’s no open world, and beach water is literally flat. Not trying to be a Debby downer, but it seems like they tried to make this EP fit with the iteration of the game when it doesn’t. The very least they could’ve done was add a resort system which would have fit perfectly with systems already in the game. And I actually think Get Famous had much more realistic gameplay with the added social media elements.

I love sims 3 but I wasn’t a huge fan of resorts so I’m not bothered they have been excluded as I imagine it would be a copy of other in game systems. I appreciate lots of people wanted them.

I am disappointed that diving is a rabbit hole but I’m not surprised.

I watched a game changer video and I thought I saw the sim travelling from one part of the Island to another part without a loading screen. I think there is quite a large area so sims can use boats/jet skis and swim/snorkel.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    No. I love the mermaids and dolphins and various other things within the pack. I love the siren-like powers in this iteration, in particular.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    Anyone else with me? I usually love expansions and as a Sims fan, I just feel this expansion is lacking in gameplay. The neighborhood and items look beautiful but beautiful items aren’t enough to justify the price of an expansion. They could have at least added resorts to the game, but we get dolphins, mermaids, and sunburns?

All of that for me is candy for the eyes and has it purposes marketing wise. I would love the resorts and I would love the houseboats if they were added but they were not and I am not sore as I can go back to previous version and play what Sims 4 lacks in gameplay thank goodness for that. However, looking at the trailer it all looks intriguing and I would be lying if I said I am not but the trailer has it purpose as well marketing wise look at all the sales it may make from one trailer even if some people are willing to wait to see more.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2019
    I agree OP, this is one of the first EPs or GPs since Vampires I got excited about but then I came back down to earth and started to learn more.

Why is it that TS4's EPs are always so small? In content, in worlds, in gameplay, activities, new interactions, and stuff. They are always so limited.

If I look at TS2's Bon Voyage (ocean swimming) with it's three worlds, numerous activites for all three worlds that can be done anywhere else (ocean swimming etc.) and hotels to book, or run, many different objects to use, dances to learn, things to collect, owning vacation homes etc. etc.

Then there is TS3's IP world with tons of other things to do, and an open world and house boats and so much more. They didn't even have to add ocean swimming we already had it in TS3. And then there is the deep sea diving world, yeah, huge EP, and it's resorts..sigh.

It's not about this EP doesn't have hotels etc., it's always (to me) wow I can get a novel in older games I have to buy Reader's Digest in TS4.

Why is this never answered? And if it is by players, then it's, well, they have smaller budgets, do any of us really believe that anymore? TS4 passed the billion dollar mark months ago...it's all by design, less content for more money is more the truth.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I wasn't overly impressed with the trailer since it just showed the girl walking around, and sims dancing and things, and then she turned in to the mermaid at the end. I thought it was pretty "meh" looking.

But seeing what all is in the pack and the beautiful ocean lots to build over the water and all the possibilities it adds for my sim world, I am looking forward to adding it to my game.

I've set the map as my desktop background and use it to figure out how my Sulani is going to look.

I love the elementals and the off the grid option coming with it. I love that merfolk can also now have a darker side to them.

I can't wait to set up my B&B and send sims there for "vacation"!
  • BABYfactor99BABYfactor99 Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm not excited because nothing cool is free and it is REALLY not cool if you have to put things for sale. What happens if your Xbox, PS4, or your pc gets damage and you lose everything, Wouldn't you like things to be free like the Seasons pack or the Jungle adventure pack?
    Please post your thoughts. EA needs to hear us and make it up to us not them.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I'm not very excited, but I'm blaming that on my computer. I have all EPs up to now + 3-4 GP/SP, and my PC is starting to show signs of lagging more often. Adding a full new world will probably not help, especially not when it's home to numerous families, and not just a vacation destination. I like what I see and read, but I know that the next pack I add might make it much harder to make videos from my game, and IL will not be worth that.

Might get it later to play it as a separate save, then "turn it off" for my main save. Hoping for future packs that are worthy of being my very last pack :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    I have few disappointments with this pack but overall the good points of it are double if not triple so looking to buy it soon
    (also the fact that there is no b/b item I don't like makes me really happy so :sweat_smile: )
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    With the world, career, and life State I think it does feel like an expansion. I like all the expansions so far but the only one that hasn't felt big enough to be an expansion to me with City living. That one felt rather small and I feel like I should have been a game pack.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Don't buy it then.

Why do people take it so personally when someone critiques EA? Of course I’m not going to buy it if I don’t want it. That’s not the point of this post. My point is to bring up a concern and wondering if others think the same. This game adds very little new substantial gameplay and I think it should be called out.

So true and sometimes I feel they can't help it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2019
    As a mermaid player, I prefer how mermaids (sirens) are done in this pack, so to me, it’s worth it. They did more with mermaid here than in Sims 3, though I do miss the Kraken call, and having dive lots.

(I tried and tried to play Sims 3, but I just got bored with Sims 3 mermaids a lot, as they didn’t really have much going for them besides the one cool Kraken thing. They didn’t lullaby sims or enchant sims. They were just there to be regular sims, which I already don’t like much in Sims 3, who look pretty in the water... and that’s really it. They were basically just boring eye candy who dried out a lot for me, lol.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    As a mermaid player, I prefer how mermaids (sirens) are done in this pack, so to me, it’s worth it. They did more with mermaid here than in Sims 3, though I do miss the Kraken call, and having dive lots.

(I tried and tried to play Sims 3, but I just got bored with Sims 3 mermaids a lot, as they didn’t really have much going for them besides the one cool Kraken thing. They didn’t lullaby sims or enchant sims. They were just there to be regular sims, which I already don’t like much in Sims 3, who look pretty in the water... and that’s really it. They were basically just boring eye candy who dried out a lot for me, lol.)

I haven't read about their powers yet, but if it's just about mermaids for some then this could have been a GP as it seems so much smaller than past EPs of older games that offered ten times more in them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    edited June 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

I haven't read about their powers yet, but if it's just about mermaids for some then this could have been a GP as it seems so much smaller than past EPs of older games that offered ten times more in them.

What do you mean by “smaller”? (Genuinely curious, not trying to sound rude! 🙂) I’ve heard a lot of game changers saying this is possibly the best EP so far, so I’m wondering what makes it seem less than others to you?

EDIT: unless you mean smaller than TS3 IP, which then I understand.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member

one would get more use out of dried fish than mermaids in ts3
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free