Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What stuff/game/expansion pack was a total surprise to you? That you weren't expecting to be so good

texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
For me it was Get Together. At first I didn't realize the potential of the clubs system. It basically can help create and maintain all kind of gatherings that one can imagine for our stories. It was a big surprise that only unveiled after I played for some time.
What about you? What stuff/game/expansion pack was a total surprise to you? Meaning that you weren't expecting it was so good before you tried it?

Comments

• Options
    VinceVince Posts: 88 Member
    Seasons.

Gosh, I didn't know that how much this expansion will change my experience in game.
    This expansion offers a real immersive touch.
    Nothing is more important than empathy.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I agree on Get Together, I didn't expect it to be bad or anything, but it definitely did more than I thought it would. The clubs system is really amazing, great way to hang out with your favourite sims in the same place. :)
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Get Famous, it's lots of fun even though I'm not interested in fame/celebrities. Jungle Adventure, I enjoy archaeology skill and dangerous treasure hunt.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Get Famous for me too. I'm not interested in the celebrity theme, but I must admit the fame and reputation systems are very well done. The only let down in the end for me was the world.

Bowling Night Stuff was another pleasant surprise. I've never really enjoyed bowling in real life, but for some reason watching my sims play is rather fun. It's also great for parties and family players like me.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Get Famous here too. Was never a fan of fame in past games but it’s such a fun experience this time. I think it’s one of my favorite packs (seasons is my absolute favorite though). It’s so well done and I think it’s great that there are so many ways to gain fame. I really enjoy playing around with it and I like how much it effects the game as a whole.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Get together which is one of my all-time favorite packs. Strangeville too, I'm a very realistic player so I wasn't expecting to care for this one especially since I also don't like desert worlds but this ended up being one of my all-time favorite packs.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Honestly, I'm finding Bowling Night to be really useful. I had not used it at all for the longest time. But, I placed one of the Maxis lots down in this game and have formed a teen bowling club, it's been a great way to have my teens hang out, find romance, and do something besides hang out at a bar or the park.
    I gave the Bowling Alley the teen hangout trait and so when the club meets, there are other groups of teens there bowling as well.
    I'm planning an adult version of the club now, since some of my Sims aged out of the teen one. 😀
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    Get Together for the win! I never knew what the purpose of that pack was at first but then after playing with it, I fell in love with it! I use the clubs to set up my worlds so I can see fighting teenagers when I visit a lot, and see some ghosts doing mischiefs... And the world is just gorgeous and huge... One of my favorite worlds of all time! And the premades are also very detailed and actually have stories...
    I have to say Fitness Stuff is actually used a lot in my builds. I hate it that they didn’t include some basic training equipments like rowing machine or pull-up bar but I use the ceiling light in every one of my build now. And I love the earbuds.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Get Together. I never realized how customized and useful clubs could be. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    City living- I bought it for the cas and build/buy content but I love the festivals and all the cultural foods that come with it and use it a lot in my gameplay. I have not liked the previous city/downtown packs that have come with other sim games so it has been a nice surprise
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited June 2019
    Get together hands down. I had wanted a system to form factions and secret societys and seen a few other users ask for the same, one of them with a very detailed and appealing concept (sadly I do not remember their username). But overall it didn't seem to be a popular demand, so I was very positively surprised when it came true. Only downside, they marketed it as a party pack and people are still dismissing it as one.

Edit: Argh, read only half the thread title and missed the part about not expecting a pack being any good. That would be Luxury Party. Made the same mistake as the people who dismiss Get together here, saying "meh, party pack". But I use the punch bowl fountain and buffet table so often that I can hardly imagine not having this pack anymore. Also the clothes, though not as often.

And of course Backyard Stuff. The promotional render seemed so lackluster. I expected the gameplay object to be mood altering lemonade, but then the trailer swept me off my feet. To this day it is my favorite pack (after it fighting a long battle against Cool Kitchen, but eventually relegating it to second place).
  • Options
    MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    Laundry Day. I am one of simmers who are disappointed because our off the grid pack turned into something so mundane. Yet, here I am, adding hamper to every single household that I play (nine, for now)
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Romantic Garden. At first I was like "It's just flowers, who cares?," and that's essentially what it is, but used properly it can make some incredibly gorgeous builds.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Wow, I’ve never thought of it. That’s a very great question @telmarina!! 💙

Hmm 🤔 I would have to say Cats & Dogs was the most surprising for me. I’ve never owned any pets so I wasn’t sure how it would be. But I absolutely love having a pet in every family I play! I also love how quirky and independent the pets can be.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Laundry Day.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Strangerville. I went on YouTube one day, and sitting there on my front page was the reveal trailer. I was so shook!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Oof, didn't read the whole thing... I don't have enough packs to answer the full question :D
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sims 4 Vampires...

I've played all the sims in the past game versions but never once have I played vampires before the Sims 4 and I've discovered that I quite enjoy stepping out of my normal realism sim comfort zone every now and then.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited June 2019
    Mine was also 'Get Together'... I heavily criticized that pack when it was first announced. I seriously thought it was going to be the worst pack ever released in The Sims... not even kidding. I found the announcement trailer very cringe worthy and assumed it would be nothing but a money grab.

Ironically, it turned out to be my favorite Sims 4 expansion pack until 'Seasons' was released. It still stands as my second favorite expansion pack to this day! :smile:
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
    Seasons.. I just thought it will add a few things to my game, instead it completely changed it!
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Easily Get Together I had no idea how great the club system would be every other pack is what I expected besides Get to Work I could never imagine how bad it turned out seeing as Open for Business is my favorite Sims expansion ever.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Get Famous. I thought since the only career choice was acting that the pack would lack in content but they made acting so involved and interesting it was worth it. And though I still think things like singer should've been apart of it I actually love this pack and what it does offer.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Sims 4 Vampires...

I've played all the sims in the past game versions in the past but never once have I played vampires before the Sims 4 and I've discovered that I quite enjoy stepping out of my normal realism sim comfort zone every now and then.

Same here! :)
    I never wanted occults in the game, I wanted to keep it as natural as possible. Now I want more and more supernatural things! :D
    I'm sooo looking forward to Witches, Fairies, and Mermaids.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Get to Work. Not for the careers, I play scientist all the time, played detective once or twice and lost interest, I have yet to play Doctor...

But for retail stores. You can sell just about anything, including career reward items, trait reward potions, money tree seeds, ambrosia, forever fresh food, collection items, etc. All the super powerful items.

Since it’s so much easier to earn money in the game rather than earn aspiration points, advance in careers, etc, it’s super useful to have a retail store that sells the “cheaty” items.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Get famous. I expected it to be annoying as I wasn't a big fan of it in 3 but it's fun and well made
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.