Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited June 2019
    I like to have it in window mode because I like doing other stuff while "filming" my story. Its either that or my mods. I guess "Window Fullscreen" also wouldn't work either? That people who want to play the Sims 4 will have to be forced to use full screen (and w/ my luck-it will make my computer crash AGAIN)?
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    How do we get the 64 bit version of sims 4?

Dear Simmers,

Today we are announcing some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac. As of June 2019, we will no longer support The Sims 4 on Non-Metal Mac OS machines or PC 32-bit Operating Systems.
    Apple has announced plans to phase out support for graphics processing technology called OpenGL and will be moving to a new technology known as Metal. Due to this change, we will upgrade The Sims 4 to work with Metal. For those that cannot upgrade to a Metal supporting OS, The Sims 4™: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see the FAQ below.
    This update will also retire support for 32-bit Operating Systems. We regularly evaluate our technologies, and to continue growing, improving, and optimizing the game, we have made the decision to retire 32-bit support. If you are a PC player who cannot update to a 64-bit OS, The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see FAQ below.

We want to thank all Simmers who have played or are still playing The Sims 4.

Where can I get The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will be available in June 2019. If you are an existing The Sims 4 owner, we will have instructions on this page which will walk you through the steps to get your copy of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition when it is released. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not be made available to new players.

When will this change happen and when will The Sims 4: Legacy Edition be available?

This change is tentatively planned for June 2019. If there are any changes to the planned June date, we will update it.

Will The Sims 4 on my Non-Metal Mac OS be automatically updated to the legacy version?

No, you will need to download The Sims 4: Legacy Edition. To find out if your Mac supports Metal, please check here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073

Will The Sims 4 on my 32-bit OS PC be automatically updated to the legacy version?

No, you will need to download The Sims4: Legacy Edition.

Will The Sims 4: Legacy Edition receive any additional content or bug fixes in the future?

No, The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not receive any more content or bug fixes.

Will any online features still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

The Gallery, game banners, and social integrations will be disabled. The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will not display or allow any purchases of content released after February 2019.

What Stuff Packs, Game Packs, and Expansion Packs can I play using The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

You will be able to purchase and play all Stuff, Game and Expansion packs released between September 2, 2014 and February 26, 2019. This includes Luxury Party Stuff Pack, Perfect Patio Stuff Pack, Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack, Spooky Stuff Pack, Movie Hangout Stuff Pack, Romantic Garden Stuff Pack, Kids Room Stuff Pack, Backyard Stuff Pack, Vintage Glamour Stuff Pack, Bowling Night Stuff Pack, Fitness Stuff Pack, Toddler Stuff Pack, Laundry Day Stuff Pack, My First Pet Stuff Pack, Outdoor Retreat Game Pack, Spa Day Game Pack, Dine Out Game Pack, Vampires Game Pack, Parenthood Game Pack, Jungle Adventure Game Pack, StrangerVille Game Pack, Get Together Expansion Pack, Get To Work Expansion Pack, City Living Expansion Pack, Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack, Seasons Expansion Pack and Get Famous Expansion Pack.

Content released after February 2019 will require you to upgrade your system.

Will custom content still work with The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

It will be up to the custom content or mod developer to decide to support their custom content for both The Sims 4 and The Sims 4: Legacy Edition.

Will there be different versions of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition for Non-Metal Mac OS and 32-bit PC OS?

There will be one version of The Sims 4: Legacy Edition that you will be able to download.

Will my save files still work in The Sims 4: Legacy Edition?

Yes, save files will still work with The Sims 4: Legacy Edition. Instructions on “how to” will be published once The Sims 4: Legacy Edition is released.

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2019
    heidi11576 wrote: »

You don't need a separate version of Sims 4 if you have a 64 bit machine. The "legacy" version is only needed if you do not have upgraded hardware.

I am getting warnings that my sims4 is not optimized

You don't need a separate version of Sims 4 if you have a 64 bit machine. The "legacy" version is only needed if you do not have upgraded hardware.

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2019

What is your processor speed and OS?
    I'm trying to solve my Windows 64 but my game either flickers or the computer freezes up entirely when trying to play Sims 4 despite being a solid 64 bit computer. All I been getting is nasty comments on the EA help site. Some people have suggested I update to Windows 10.
    6adMCGP.gif
    seems to have gone away, happened once and it has not repeated . I will post a photo if the error comes back

What is your processor speed and OS?

• kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited June 2019
    @MadameLee
    Can you indicate WHO you suggested upgrade to Win10 and WHO was not kind to you? You were kindly asked to update your Win8.1 and your answer was that you can not do it because your dad has forbidden you to do it. Who would like to force you to change your Windows system knowing that it's your dad's computer?
    I kindly inform you that everyone can play 64-bit version of the game in the window mode and the laptop mode as long as his software does not have as many errors as you have.
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
    @kreatora (I didn't recognise you for a second!). Actually the computer isn't dad's its mine but he didn't want me to update it until I talked to my sister (but like I thought it was a waste of time). At the moment I'm downloading the 58 updates I been ignoring for the Windows 8.1 So I'm goign to see what happens after the updates come in?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2019
    Windows 10 is a lot more gamer friendly than Windows 8, so I would suggest it. Keep in mind you may have to reinstall some minor programs like apps and stuff, but that is not a big deal. I had fewer crashes when playing games on Windows 10 and it takes up less memory to run Windows 10 so you can use it for games and graphics are great. I am a hard core casual gamer and have ran games like Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen and Civization IV, VI and even the Sims and House Flipper. Only really encountered a handful of crashes mostly related to my overly used graphics card dying, which had nothing to do with any of the games just annoying.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
    Will Dad need to take the computer any place to upgrade it to Windows 10?
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited June 2019
    The windows 10 installation is pretty simple get the cd dvd or flash drive version of windows 10 and run the installation and it should install, but as always backup everything before upgrading incase anything goes wrong. Also if your Dad don't feel comfortable doing it you can always take it to any tech shop but the Windows 10 install is pretty easy and straight forward.

Edit Keep in mind make sure you can trust the tech shops if you take it to private tech shops most are legit but some are not. Most comptuer stores like best buy can offer the tech shop services for a small fee or offer you step by step help in case you get into trouble. Just make shure you get windows 10 64 bit version

@Sid1701D9 I'm going to test my current idea of updating my Windows 8.1 with the 58 updates I been ignore (foolishly) since Feb 2016. I just didn't want to be forced to upgrade to Windows 10. So I will see what happens when I play the game in full screen mode after the 58 updates are installed
    6adMCGP.gif
    I think microsoft was trying something new with Windows 8 it caused so munch confusion they had to build the start button back into windows 8.1

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    I think microsoft was trying something new with Windows 8 it caused so munch confusion they had to build the start button back into windows 8.1

I believe so too as I hated Windows 8 and went back to Winows 7 for awhile until Windows 8.1 came out and I liked that one better.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    I have a question about something I noticed in the Control panel under "all programs" I'm not sure where to post it. Do I post it on the Sims 4 help forum or on Microsoft/Window's forum?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Try here
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    @MadameLee You don't need to update from 8.1 yet if you don't want to but it is very important to update to secure your machine from the latest viruses etc., I use the Windows key to minimise the game when I want to do something else during play and use full mode. You might need to update your video card.

The free upgrade for Windows 10 is over according to Microsoft but there might be a way to do it according to the second post on this page below. It was updated on 29th May so should be still ok.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-does-it-cost-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/04310401-7901-4097-93da-cef8fd361beb
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Guess that is good news for some folks :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • MarmarSimsMarmarSims Posts: 183 Member
    I have a question, just to be prepared if ever they do push through with the Legacy update.. What does it mean if my laptop says 32bit operating system, 64bit processor? Can I update to 64bit??
    30uejra.jpg
    Origin: maritakoyaki
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited June 2019
    @MarmarSims You can try
    MarmarSims wrote: »
    I have a question, just to be prepared if ever they do push through with the Legacy update.. What does it mean if my laptop says 32bit operating system, 64bit processor? Can I update to 64bit??

You won't need to anyway yet as the Legacy edition has been delayed and the latest pack is available for you on 32bit. Might be easier to save for a new machine. :)

Depends on your machine I think. 64bit needs more than 2GB memory.....

I would ask someone from your machine manufacturer or Microsoft support about that. Your processor is ok but it does depend on other requirements for 64bit. I know you can for Windows 10 but your version may vary and you might have to start all over again installing an OS after saving a backup of your files.

Down the page for instance.......
    "How to check if PC supports 64-bit version of Windows 10
    Windows 10 64-bit is only available on compatible hardware. If your device is currently running the 32-bit version, before planning the upgrade, you must find out if your machine includes a 64-bit processor, a minimum of 2GB of system memory, and whether the rest of the hardware has 64-bit driver support."

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10#check_cpu_64bit_windows10

Not sure if the following still applies now.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-32-bit-to-64-bit-upgrade/b9591f98-5a38-4be6-b8e4-2cffbac3199d
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited June 2019
    MarmarSims wrote: »

What version of Windows?
    How many RAM? this at your risk, most gamers and other people than want a fast system recomend no go to 64 bits if you have less than 4 GB RAM

It come pre-installed at your laptop when you bought it? if was pre-installed, Windows 10 x64 will not request serial number, as takes it from your motherboard.

AND MOST IMPORTANT:
    You cant upgrade from 32 to 64 bits. Must be a clean install, it mean, before do it, download (but still no install) all 64-bits version of your drivers, and after install Windows 10 x64 you need install again all programs and games you had. And store all those installers at flash-drives, external hard disk, or anoter partition, as drive C: will be formated

(for games, Steam and Origin have option to install games in another partition or drive, so only will need install Steam/Origin, but it is for advanced users)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    This might mean The Sims 4 has a long future and I must say I don't feel like I need Sims 5 already. Since the Seasons expansion pack I'm really satisfied with what the game has become
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited June 2019
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to give you a heads up - we have updated the FAQ to reflect the change SimGuruDuke tweeted about:

We previously announced that we were making some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac on June 2019. We have decided to postpone this update to later this year. All players can currently play all released packs and will be able to play the recently announced Island Living Expansion Pack. We will share more information on the specific date once we have confirmation.

@simgirl1010, you might want to update the FAQ in your opening post here as well ;)
    You can find the changes in here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7954169#M13283