Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Delete threads

Hello,

I think we should be able to delete threads that we no longer want on the forum.

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited June 2019
    They won't allow us to do that. This has been asked over and over again with the same "No we can not" answers.

EA_Mage who is no longer here posted some of the reasons why they will not allow us this option in this thread. Abuse is one of the issues.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16706056#Comment_16706056

And this thread where EA_Mai commented in it as well... :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/954261/can-we-have-a-delete-thread-option#latest
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    JayGlover wrote: »
    Hello,

I think we should be able to delete threads that we no longer want on the forum.

Agreed, it would be nice.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Thanks for the suggestion, @JayGlover! As @lisasc360 explained (thanks for sharing those links!), this is not something we will be implementing. I'd recommend reading the linked posts for more details :)
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I think they should or we should be able to remove unwanted posts.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    You can always get in touch with eg. EA_Mai and ask her to delete derailing posts in your thread.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited June 2019
    drakharis wrote: »
    Again, it would end up being abused by other members when someone posts things in their threads that they may not agree with or like and decide to delete the thread. And if that should happen, then other forum members will start to avoid those members threads for fear of the thread or the posts disappearing on them just because the OP doesn't like or want to hear others opinions from members who might disagree with them. So I'm just satisfied with the EA management team doing the closings or removing offending posts as they see fit.

You can put someone on ignore and not see their comment in threads but it won't work for the Activity page or your wall. Of course the person on ignore can't send you a PM if they wanted to.

To put someone on ignore, you need to go to their page and click on the little box next to the "Message" button as that will bring up a drop down box with the word "Ignore" in it. The "Ignore" list can hold 5000 names to it.

This is what it looks like when we place someone on ignore. The picture will still show their name which would be Cinebar but not their comment unless you click on the date that's sort of grayed out. Of course this is only an example picture as I didn't keep Cinebar on ignore. You can change your mind on people that you have on ignore anytime as you can do that through your preference settings at the top of your page that's next to star... :)
    Be1v8XZ.png

Hope this helps... :)
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited June 2019
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    drakharis wrote: »
    Again, it would end up being abused by other members when someone posts things in their threads that they may not agree with or like and decide to delete the thread. And if that should happen, then other forum members will start to avoid those members threads for fear of the thread or the posts disappearing on them just because the OP doesn't like or want to hear others opinions from members who might disagree with them. So I'm just satisfied with the EA management team doing the closings or removing offending posts as they see fit.

You can put someone on ignore and not see their comment in threads but it won't work for the Activity page or your wall. Of course the person on ignore can't send you a PM if they wanted to.

To put someone on ignore, you need to go to their page and click on the little box next to the "Message" button as that will bring up a drop down box with the word "Ignore" in it. The "Ignore" list can hold 5000 names to it.

This is what it looks like when we place someone on ignore. The picture will still show their name which would be Cinebar but not their comment unless you click on the date that's sort of grayed out. Of course this is only an example picture as I didn't keep Cinebar on ignore. You can change your mind on people that you have on ignore anytime as you can do that through your preference settings at the top of your page that's next to star... :)
    Be1v8XZ.png

Hope this helps... :)
    Unfortunately the greyed-out name creates the temptation to see what they're saying even though you know you won't like what they have to say. It should be that if you put someone on your ignore list, you shouldn't be able to see their name or posts at all.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    It would already be great if there was separate flagging to request deleting of your own threads
    because there is so many times you end up realizing similar thread exists like 10 minutes after starting one
    and I sort of feel like thats not what I should be using flagging feature for but???

or maybe a way to delete thread inside certain time limit or something?
    or maybe if only you commented on it and no one else?

it feels so cluttery just leaving those threads all over the place

⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited July 2019
    Simmingal wrote: »
    It would already be great if there was separate flagging to request deleting of your own threads
    because there is so many times you end up realizing similar thread exists like 10 minutes after starting one
    and I sort of feel like thats not what I should be using flagging feature for but???

Feel free to use the flagging feature if you realize there's already a similar thread after opening one yourself. It happens to everyone sooner or later! If you include the link to the similar thread in your report, we can easily merge your post to the existing thread :)

The flagging feature is there to bring something that needs moderation to the attention of the mods or myself - as long as you don't use it in an abusive manner, you can perfectly use it to flag your own posts. Also, hey, you would be helping us keep things tidy!

PS. Maybe try to remember the search feature before opening a new thread :smiley: