Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mystery Mansion Challenge

Comments

• Options
    KaduMcFadu80KaduMcFadu80 Posts: 57 Member
    @Caimar11 Wow! Your mansion looks really good. I love the layout.
  • Options
    IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Pebblycat Great house!! I did kinda like you, and built the outside first, I'll decorate inside later.

@Caimar11 Love the picture. Very rustic-looking house. Almost looks like it should be in Oasis Springs.

As for my house.. I have the outside shell pretty much done. Lady Sarah is two days away from Adult (I've been having her have a ton of kids to allow for as much time to decorate as possible... lol) The house is currently worth almost 200k (1.5 k short) .. despite the fact it's little more than a weird looking shell with 18!! sets of stairs. I have all the features required done except the 13 dead ends and the basement.. mostly because 1, I haven't figured out the floor plan, and 2, I haven't had enough money leftover from shell building to build the basement. Also, I'm not 100% sure what constitutes a "dead end" @KaduMcFadu80 .. maybe you could clarify?

Adding pictures under a spoiler tag...
    The outside from different angles...
    06-06-19_6-04-57-pm.jpg
    06-06-19_6-05-09-pm.jpg
    06-06-19_6-06-45-pm.jpg
    06-06-19_6-07-50-pm.jpg
    First floor... (with greenhouse and garage/ex-stables) The stairs to the basement are just to the left of the greenhouse.
    06-06-19_6-13-26-pm.jpg
    Second floor...
    06-06-19_6-13-38-pm.jpg
    Third Floor...
    06-06-19_6-13-46-pm.jpg
    Attic space and towers...
    06-06-19_6-13-52-pm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @IllusoryThrall and anyone else who would like more clarification regarding "dead ends" in the challenge, basically it's any kind of path where there is no exit. For example, say you have a set of stairs in your house that lead up, but there's a window or wall at the top instead of a door or hall, like these stairs from the Winchester Mystery House:
    lg_5dc330-Winchester-Mansion_DaveThomas_stairs.jpg
    Or this one:
    Staircase%2Bto%2Bwall.jpg
    Perhaps there's a door that opens to an empty 1x1 square space, or say there's a turn at the end of a winding hallway that when you go around the corner you come face to face with a blank wall. You could have a door that opens to a set of stairs that lead toward a door that's actually the "door to nowhere" as shown in the spoiler below, which is not only one of the 13 dead ends needed in the mansion but also one the 13 building requirements as well.
    4267.jpg
    When I play tested this challenge with my own build, I would navigate the entire house in Tab mode just to see where every path--up or down, left or right--would take me, and if I found myself getting turned around a lot, then I knew I was doing something right. Gotta outwit those pesky gnomes, you know :p
    Hope this helps
    Post edited by KaduMcFadu80 on
  • Options
    Caimar11Caimar11 Posts: 21 Member
    @IllusoryThrall your house looks great ! How did you manage to get your sim married with kids? I like my girl enough but I added the Butler and immediately regretted it with how high maintenance he is lol. Can't imagine a house full

The butler's name is butler Winchester and I moved him to the basement. I have him repairing things, foraging and working on his painting skill. He was lonely for the first week but he leveled up farming on his own so now he can talk to the plants to fill his social need.

@KaduMcFadu80 thanks for the clarification and pics! Excellent ideas.

• Options
    PebblycatPebblycat Posts: 861 Member
    Nice mansions @Caimar11 and @IllusoryThrall!
    I'm finding every time I go to decorate, I add more rooms or fiddle with the layout :o

I think I'm going to have to add the Butler as a household member. I've never used the butler service in game (service hire option) until now and he's pretty useless. He's the worst NPC, he barely does anything :s
    My Origin ID: Pebblycat
    Visit Pebblycat's Showcase to see what I've created
  • Options
    LaurenNumberOneLaurenNumberOne Posts: 54 Member
    My house is turning into a monstrosity, but I still don't have enough dead ends. My brain just can't comprehend that in the design.
  • Options
    Caimar11Caimar11 Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2019
    I completed the building aspect of the challenge and the mansion Barron challenge ! I have the altar up and the butler painted her portrait. Now I'll just wait until she dies for the urn and continue decorating the house in the meantime. I'll post pics soon! I just need to learn how to do it correctly. Edited for pics:

Completed Aspiration:
    YR1Gyz0.jpg

Finished Portrait of Lady Amelia by butler winchester:
    GPCt0jU.png

Overview of the Mansion:
    h6VjgYd.jpg

Tower 3 stories:
    fFBT66A.jpg

Basement With a hidden gnome:
    rfjPQek.png

Lower level where butler resides and one hidden passageway:
    TedGb73.png

1st Floor basically normal with the altar, gazebo, fountain and 10 of the interior windows:
    Om1Y8I7.jpg

2nd Floor not yet decorated a couple dead ends, 3 interior windows, the door to nowhere, one hidden passageway and the 3 balconies:
    jMkdjpA.jpg

3rd floor all mazes with most of the dead ends, the last hidden passageway which leads to the tower, and a bunch of hidden gnomes in rooms that can't be accessed:
    odcwknu.png

Then lastly the attic:
    Ftoa0Io.png

There are 13 stairs, 13 rooms not including the basement or attic or tower. At least 13 dead ends, I stopped counting at 13. The altar, the painting, and it's on the 50x40 lot in newcrest. Used the cheat to set household to 0 funds and the cheat for the hidden doors. She gardened for her income, the lilies and dragonfruit bringing in the most simoleons. I will clean up the upper levels continue decorating. Then when she dies I'll put up the urn change the lot type and upload the lot to the gallery tagging the challenge and OP. This was a fun challenge, thanks for coming up with it @KaduMcFadu80 !
    Post edited by Caimar11 on
  • Options
    Definitely ended up with more than 13 rooms, but I figured the more ridiculous the better. I ended up making a kind of maze in the basement with gnomes at the dead ends. It actually turned out pretty funny because people visiting the museum go through the maze to view the gnomes so it's super busy down there. I can imagine people bumping into each other in the dark and getting spooked by the ghosts on their explorations.

My sim completed the mansion baron challenge 4 days before she died and I tried really hard to spend all her money before the end. This is the only challenge I have actually attempted. It was fun!

Mine is the Lockwood Mansion on the gallery.
  • Options
    @Caimar11 I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge. Your mansion looks amazing! I love all the twists and turns :)

@LaurenNumberOne I saw your mansion on the gallery. It's beautiful and the hedge maze is a nice touch. Good job!
  • Options
    shakerellashakerella Posts: 321 Member
    The great title brought me in for a peek! I think I will have to try this one out!
    My Current Challenge: Drifter House Challenge
  • Options
    @KaduMcFadu80 Thanks, I appreciate that!
  • Options
    Congrats on finishing @Caimar11 and @LaurenNumberOne! I promise to look at your builds once I'm finished, don't need any more ideas than I already have. I'm in panic mode as my Sim is going to die soon and I still have lots to do, my adding things on is out of control :o:#
  • Options
    So my Sarah Winchester has died, the Grim Reaper wouldn't give her an extra couple of days :'(
    I've decided I'm going to continue with the Butler until he passes and then I'll turn it into a museum. I plan to keep Sarah on as a ghost and let her do what she likes (I've never played with ghosts before)

At the end of the challenge Sarah had completed all the building requirements and was decorating all the different rooms. Unfortunately she didn't complete the mansion baron requirement (she was on the last tier)

Will be uploading the mansion once I finish with the butler

Front, Back, Door to Nowhere
    QctsmOa.png
    Lar6XRt.png
    oWYK8TD.png

Floor Plan
    n2iCcRC.png
    tqRiIcS.png
    zgpebv8.png
    kPhGIiz.png
    6cKYrLH.png

Attic Spaces - both accessible with one leading to the tower
    LndsCIz.png
    NzisRGC.png

Altar
    i0HAWzR.png

Some decorated rooms
    A "building" room
    T8c2s6H.png
    Library
    E8BUv6f.png
    Staircase to dead end
    XlLJv7d.png
    Butler's Room
    s8eQjCh.png

Pleading to Grim Reaper and Sarah's Portrait picture
    Rc3AdMa.png
    P2N1VXj.png
  • Options
    AuroraBoreallisAuroraBoreallis Posts: 108 Member
    edited June 2019
    Quick question or two ... Required ...

13 stairs ... Is that 13 sets of stairs or 2 sets of stairs at 7 steps per set of stairs ... I can't imagine finding room to put in 13 sets of stairs ...

13 dead ends ... Can the dead ends be part of an outside hedge maze ...

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Quick question or two ... Required ...

13 stairs ... Is that 13 sets of stairs or 2 sets of stairs at 7 steps per set of stairs ... I can't imagine finding room to put in 13 sets of stairs ...

13 dead ends ... Can the dead ends be part of an outside hedge maze ...

Thanks in advance

13 individual staircases throughout the build and 13 dead ends throughout the house itself.
  • Options
    @Pebblycat Well done! Your mansion looks great! I love the altar and how you have it roped off (I'm gonna have to use that idea ;) )
  • Options
    I've finally finished the challenge! I kept going until the Butler died and it was still tough to finish - it was most definitely a race to the end for the poor Butler! paint a couple of paintings, decorate, paint, decorate :D Some areas are still not quite what I wanted.
    I'll definitely tackle this challenge again one day but will be doing it on a smaller lot :p
    Thanks for the challenge @KaduMcFadu80!

Gallery Link if you'd like to take a look :smile: : Winchester House

Front
    mx34Eb3.png

Back
    3jXWGLr.png
    Hj3U8Pa.png

Other Rooms
    Games Room
    WJ43jQD.png

Ballroom
    yQLszwh.png

Started to make this room which is a reference to the movie
    QYHKqjP.png
  • Options
    @KaduMcFadu80 I checked out your mansion and I really loved that you used the terrain tools to have it on a hill and I love the design of the exterior. Loved the open entrance way with the balconies and interior windows. Wish I could build something like that!

@LaurenNumberOne Love the design of your mansion. The shape and floor plan is really interesting. You certainly packed a lot in on the smaller lot!
  • Options
    @Pebblycat I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge and thank you for the kind words about my mansion on the gallery. That was my final test mansion (#5 of 5), which I wasn't able to get to $350,000 before my matriarch died (I was sooo close though :'( lol) I'm currently working on #6, but I'm taking a break until Island Living comes out, which I'm super excited for!
  • Options
    @KaduMcFadu80 I'm taking a break for Island Living too. I'm super excited about it.. and today seems to be taking forever. Perhaps I'll do some more mansion building while I wait. :wink:
  • Options
    MaiynaMaiyna Posts: 13 New Member
    I've had my little break from the challenge in order to work on my own island-style challenge, but now I'm ready to jump back into this challenge! I believe I'm about 3/4 of the way completing it, just the corridors and basement maze to do (as well as decorating the whole house and gardens!). I've made my living mainly from painting and gardening, as that seems to generate cash quickly haha. And my matron currently has 4 sons and a husband, still wanting a daughter! Hopefully I can upload some pictures shortly!

(Origin ID: SpasticRED)
  • Options
    MaiynaMaiyna Posts: 13 New Member
    Ok guys! I finally did it! First play through save my matriarch just before completing her aspiration, second save play through she managed with additional 2 days. Unfortunately I cannot upload any photos on here yet, but when I can I will show you my mansion properly.
    It's under Greystone Manor in the Sims Gallery with my Origin ID SpasticRED :) I've uploaded it as a museum as well as residential. I've also decided to continue playing with the Greyson Family, focusing on the eldest son (I've also uploaded the next generation after both parents died into the Gallery).
    I loved this challenge! And because of it I have made the best ever house I have ever created from scratch :) only inspiration was old-style British mansions.
  • Options
    @Maiyna I saw your mansion on the gallery and I have to say that you did a fantastic job! I'm glad that you enjoyed playing the challenge as well. :)
  • Options
    @KaduMcFadu80 Can children/teens be aged up early if they have A's in school? Or do we need to wait for their birthdays?