Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do ya want mermaids in a tropical expansion!?

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    On the condition Legs must be descaled while in human form.

Agreed. I hated that "in human form" they still looked like merfolk. How are they supposed to live among us if they have fish scales on their legs? And brightly colored ones at that.

I would, however, like to add scales in places on merfolk like we can add tattoos.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Yas!
    I dislike the idea that every occult sim has to be hidden/forced to blend in all the time, which kind of takes away from their uniqueness. I'd love for that stuff to be optional, like tattoos. But if I had to choose between land-walking mermaids with scales, and just regular land-walking mermaids, I'll go for the former (more interesting) option.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Nay.
    Although I really want witches and robots, I would rather see them put more detail in other things. I would rather see things like volleyball, surfing, boating, ocean swimming and diving, along with activities like sand castle building, and bucket and pail for toddlers and children, shell collecting from children and up. Sunbathing teen through elder. Some things like slow dancing and hula dancers (and skill).
  • _starfrog_starfrog Posts: 84 Member
    Yas!
    > @SheriSim57 said:
    > Although I really want witches and robots, I would rather see them put more detail in other things. I would rather see things like volleyball, surfing, boating, ocean swimming and diving, along with activities like sand castle building, and bucket and pail for toddlers and children, shell collecting from children and up. Sunbathing teen through elder. Some things like slow dancing and hula dancers (and skill).

even though i did answer yes to this, i'm going to have to agree here! i would love, love, love mermaids. but, the things that are mentioned here would be more important for a tropical/beach pack, imho.
    still using fabric softener
    Yas!
    i'm not sure why my quote didn't show up in a neat little box like everyone else's...
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I don't care.
    Honestly I could take them of leave them
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Yas!
    _starfrog wrote: »
    i'm not sure why my quote didn't show up in a neat little box like everyone else's...

If you were a New Member at the time of posting, that would be why.
    Yas!
    @EmmaVane i was. makes sense! thank you :)
  • DuchessVDuchessV Posts: 3 New Member
    Yas!
    > @SheriSim57 said:
    > Although I really want witches and robots, I would rather see them put more detail in other things. I would rather see things like volleyball, surfing, boating, ocean swimming and diving, along with activities like sand castle building, and bucket and pail for toddlers and children, shell collecting from children and up. Sunbathing teen through elder. Some things like slow dancing and hula dancers (and skill).

They can put detail into more than one aspect. It's an expansion pack, not a game pack.
  • Sakuske1Sakuske1 Posts: 86 Member
    Yas!
    I enjoyed playing with the mermaids in the Sims 3! I'd be happy to see them again
    Check out my Gallery with Origin ID: kkranich
  • TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    Yas!
    Yes! I love mermaid myths and I loved that we got mermaids with Island Paradise. My only request is that, if we do get mermaids, there to be a second form option like we have with aliens and vampires. It would be cool to have option where you can make your mermaids on a scale of Splash to The Shape of Water
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Rather than yet another life state you can't mix with others (especially one that can only survive in water), I'd like water-related new traits, a skill and an aspiration for all sims. And one neighbourhood under a glass dome on the ocean floor.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Nay.
    I wanted to say "I don't care" but it's actually more a "nay" just because they could use the resources to add in something I'll actually use in game...
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Yas!
    I want more occult Sims so I'm all for mermaids!
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yas!
    It would be rather stupid of them to leave mermaids out in an island pack. (if we get one). They were using them as maybe's in all the polls on Twitter about "what do you want to see in Sims 4" that I saw.

I would like that sea serpent to be included as well as another way of dying or upsetting a boat. >:)<3

and...as my dog made friends with a seal on an adventure in Brindleton Bay I would like them too.
  • MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    Yas!
    I would love to had mermaids back in the Sims 4. I just hope we can had an option to change or remove theirs scales off their legs while they’re in human disguise, new colors and customize tails of mermaids, new animation of the mermaids swimming and jumping in the oceans and lakes (I guess) of any world will be better then the sims 3 mersims since there won’t be no open world in Sims 4, & etc.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I don't care.
    Simburian wrote: »
    It would be rather stupid of them to leave mermaids out in an island pack. (if we get one). They were using them as maybe's in all the polls on Twitter about "what do you want to see in Sims 4" that I saw.

I would like that sea serpent to be included as well as another way of dying or upsetting a boat. >:)<3

and...as my dog made friends with a seal on an adventure in Brindleton Bay I would like them too.

But not all simmers like the non-human or occult Sims - so they get angry when eps come with non-human sims. Everyone wants eps - it is why GPs were made so we could get non-human sims and no one has to give up a whole ep not to have them in their game as the sims 4 does not allow toggles so they can't be just shut off like Sims 3 did. We have to be fair to everybody - don't you think?

I very much see and like getting my non-human sims in gps made just for that kind of sim anyway - they are much better occult s.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

But not all simmers like the non-human or occult Sims - so they get angry when eps come with non-human sims. Everyone wants eps - it is why GPs were made so we could get non-human sims and no one has to give up a whole ep not to have them in their game as the sims 4 does not allow toggles so they can't be just shut off like Sims 3 did. We have to be fair to everybody - don't you think?

I very much see and like getting my non-human sims in gps made just for that kind of sim anyway - they are much better occult s.

Yes, but since were not getting any occult at all.I think it would be good if we have them expansion pavks.Players can just ignore them
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    I don't care.

Yes, but since were not getting any occult at all.I think it would be good if we have them expansion pavks.Players can just ignore them

They are still complaining about aliens in get to work - they do not want them in the eps. So we got gps for them. They will not ignore them and paying 40 bucks for sims eps some don't want to get rest of the ep - matters when at least half the simmers complain about it. Makes me wonder if that is why we now have to wait so long to get them. I love the non-human characters - usually playing them more than the human ones - but I can still see their side of the issue if characters cannot be shut off to avoid them - then isn't it only fair everyone can have an ep and enjoy it too. You have to admit - having had merfolk in Sims 3 in the ep - you could not really avoid them totally even with toggles - there was always a few in the water when my sims were diving. As I said i like them so not a problem for me for any supernatural or occult - but for others.

I still think they would be done better for those of us that love these creatures done like Vamp in their own gps.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i dont remember if i ever posted on this thread but a huge massive yes. we need more occults and i love mermaids

for people who dont like occults they seriously need to re-add the toggle to adjust occults as the player wants, but otherwise: yes yes yes mermaids
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Yas!
    Mermaids are one of my favorite lifestates. I only need Vamps, Witches, and Mermaids tbh. If they improve upon werewolves and make them along with other lifestates more interesting, I will get them as well
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Yas!
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > Horrorgirl6 wrote: »
    >
    > Writin_Reg wrote: »
    >
    > Simburian wrote: »
    >
    > It would be rather stupid of them to leave mermaids out in an island pack. (if we get one). They were using them as maybe's in all the polls on Twitter about "what do you want to see in Sims 4" that I saw.
    >
    > I would like that sea serpent to be included as well as another way of dying or upsetting a boat. >:) <3
    >
    > and...as my dog made friends with a seal on an adventure in Brindleton Bay I would like them too.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But not all simmers like the non-human or occult Sims - so they get angry when eps come with non-human sims. Everyone wants eps - it is why GPs were made so we could get non-human sims and no one has to give up a whole ep not to have them in their game as the sims 4 does not allow toggles so they can't be just shut off like Sims 3 did. We have to be fair to everybody - don't you think?
    >
    > I very much see and like getting my non-human sims in gps made just for that kind of sim anyway - they are much better occult s.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes, but since were not getting any occult at all.I think it would be good if we have them expansion pavks.Players can just ignore them
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They are still complaining about aliens in get to work - they do not want them in the eps. So we got gps for them. They will not ignore them and paying 40 bucks for sims eps some don't want to get rest of the ep - matters when at least half the simmers complain about it. Makes me wonder if that is why we now have to wait so long to get them. I love the non-human characters - usually playing them more than the human ones - but I can still see their side of the issue if characters cannot be shut off to avoid them - then isn't it only fair everyone can have an ep and enjoy it too. You have to admit - having had merfolk in Sims 3 in the ep - you could not really avoid them totally even with toggles - there was always a few in the water when my sims were diving. As I said i like them so not a problem for me for any supernatural or occult - but for others.
    >
    > I still think they would be done better for those of us that love these creatures done like Vamp in their own gps.

This is pretty easily avoided by including mermaids, but just making them something you have to "unlock".

Aliens are a problem (to people who don't want them - I love them and honestly feel like they're really underserved and could use some updates to have any more Alien-ness) because they appear unsolicited. And they can appear unsolicited and radically change the direction of your game. If you like playing well plotted games, this can really throw a wrench into things. And if you bought an expansion because you wanted to play a police officer or a doctor but then it also came with this un-togglable thing that completely changes the whole genre of the game, I get why that would be irritating. I honestly wish Aliens hadn't been in Get to Work either, because then I wouldn't have to hear people complain about them and when they were added they might have been given more direct attention to be a lot cooler than they currently are.

But you can avoid the Alien problem by including a new supernatural state in an expansion that is, by default, absent. And only become present after active gameplay by the player.

If there are mermaids but the only way to get them is to collect all three pieces of an ancient artifact and take them to a secret grotto to unlock their hidden undersea kingdom (or whatever, the exact mechanic doesn't matter. What matters is it's non-essential and not something you're likely to do on accident) then players who don't want them can easily avoid them by never unlocking them, and players who DO want them can unlock them relatively early in a game and play the way they want.

And if the already game adds any kind of underwater swimming (which, given the game's current abilities would likely have to be accessed behind a loading screen, basically treating underwater as its own series of "lots", but beyond that doesn't seem impossible), there really aren't that many resources taken from the rest of the game to make mermaids. We already have Vampire/Fame skill trees, swimming, and moodlets. It just becomes adding some new animations and skins, clothing and hair people who aren't playing with mermaids will want regardless, and a hidden lot or other feature to unlock them.

For me personally mermaids and ocean swimming make or break an island/tropical pack. If the pack is just resorts and hotels and sandcastles then I'm sure plenty of people will love it, but I'll likely prioritize other DLC I don't have yet over it if I have money to spare. There's not much appeal without mermaids.

I hope like vampires being weak to the sun, the mermaids get their fins involuntarily when wet (like in Splash) and have to flop everywhere until they can unlock a skill or trait that makes them immune to such, because that would be hilarious.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    Nay.
    If these mermaids are anything like the ones in Sims 3, then I definitely do not want them. They would be a waste of resources in my opinion.
  • CIASimtridgeCIASimtridge Posts: 31 Member
    I don't care.
    I would like if they were a special interaction and stayed in the ocean. I would not want to play as a mermaid as I don't think the sims 4 would be able to accommodate any game play
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Nay.

They are still complaining about aliens in get to work - they do not want them in the eps. So we got gps for them. They will not ignore them and paying 40 bucks for sims eps some don't want to get rest of the ep - matters when at least half the simmers complain about it. Makes me wonder if that is why we now have to wait so long to get them. I love the non-human characters - usually playing them more than the human ones - but I can still see their side of the issue if characters cannot be shut off to avoid them - then isn't it only fair everyone can have an ep and enjoy it too. You have to admit - having had merfolk in Sims 3 in the ep - you could not really avoid them totally even with toggles - there was always a few in the water when my sims were diving. As I said i like them so not a problem for me for any supernatural or occult - but for others.

I still think they would be done better for those of us that love these creatures done like Vamp in their own gps.
    Even with them not in expansions besides Get to Work its still forced on us go to a bar or nightclub forget which and you end up spawning ghost and aliens its so annoying there is no option for those of us who dont want anything supernatural in our game. I cant imagine what they would do with Mermaids I'm sure there would be no way escaping them either since toggles and options to control how you play is out of the question.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"