Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things we miss from The Sims 3 in The Sims 4

Comments

• VoraginousVoraginous Posts: 69 Member
    1. Super specific lifetime goals that start springing up as a teen
    2. Story progression
    3. More base game jobs + option to hop industries/job-rank mid-career
    4. Roommates + real estate income
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    I miss all the farm stuff and era related stuff. Sims 3 had such nice variety of most eras.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    Tag from TS3!
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 118 Member
    I miss a lot, but teaching teens to drive comes to mind. Burglars too.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    For me this comes down to:
    1. Open world
    2. CASt
    3. Vehicles
    4. Moodlets that stick with sims for a while, enabling them to remember
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited May 2019
    Depth and consequence. I.e my sim cheats on their spouse their relationship will take a hit.
    Brilliant expansions with new objects and different ways to play.
    Traits that mean something and have an impact and not a moodlet.
    CASt
    Random events like the burglar
    Pets (s4cats and dogs are trash compared to S3 pets)
    Horses
    Customisation options like being able to change life stage length and seasons
    Gorgeous worlds
    The fact that all life stages got a bit of love and not just young adults
    Teens and kids behave and act their age as appropriate I.e no children getting wishes to do laundry all.the.time.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    1. Cars
    2. Horses
    3. Body hair
    4. Beaches
    5. Teens that looked like teens
    6. Color wheel
    7. Slow dancing
    8. Martial arts
    9. Rebellious teens
    10. Tree houses
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • DaphneyyyDaphneyyy Posts: 70 Member
    I actually haven't played The Sims 3 before, besides at my friend's house, but I would love horses, driving, open world, university, etc. to come back!
    OldfashionedDearKestrel-max-1mb.gif
  • TroubleWTreblesTroubleWTrebles Posts: 2 New Member
    Good topic. Thanks for starting the thread. There are lots of great suggestions. I'm new to TS3 and TS4, so I don't know much about them, yet, but I do have some suggestions of my own.

The ability to recolor everything, as we can in TS3. I don't know why they didn't incorporate that into TS4. One of my favorite things is making things look the way I want them to look. I can spend hours (days, really) creating fashions and room settings.

Another thing I'd like is the ability to make all similar objects have the highest values. In order to give my Sims the best of everything, I have to reuse the same items, in every house, or my Sims are uncomfortable, or sleep too long, or don't like their food, etc.

I like the open world concept in TS3, too. My Sim was jogging, and I thought it'd be fun for her to visit a neighbor, but she had to go home first. Bummer.

What I'd really like is more control over every aspect of the game. It's not much of a "god game" if I don't get to set the parameters the way that I want them.
  • GnarlyGnarly Posts: 55 Member
    Turn on's and offs as well as astrology!
    giphy.gif
    (∩▂∩)/\(∩▂∩)
  • LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    edited May 2019
    Theres A LOT but the obvious one is not possible... open world
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I've realized I miss one thing: the ability to "drag out" the sleep to stay asleep until 2hr before they'd need to get up for their school/work so they remained asleep until the morning even if their energy bar was filled instead of sometimes getting up during the night.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Arky_NikkiArky_Nikki Posts: 4 New Member
    I never really realized how much I missed from TS3 until I started reading this... I really miss being able to swim in the ocean. It might seem like such a small thing, but it was really nice to be able to have that option. And I just realized that yeah, we don't have newspapers? I mean, even if EA isn't going to put a physical newspaper back into the game, couldn't we at least get the option to receive news updates through our phones?
    Speaking of phones, it would definitely be nice to have an option to turn them off. I really don't like seeing my child sims walking around playing on their phones all the time. I know it's "realistic" but honestly, I wouldn't let my actual kids have phones, why should my virtual ones be any different?

And many, many more things haha
  • GPHGPH Posts: 67 Member
    I still haven’t seen any of those items appear on the Sims 4 yet that are on my list and I’m really starting to get cross!!!!!!😡
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Nothing actually - as when I miss something - well I go play the game it is in - now a days. Granted it does not allow my Sims 4 Sims to have that experience - but it does allow me - the player - to enjoy the experience bugging me. It's why I keep games from the other series on my pc and ready to jump back in them where I left off - when ever i feel like it.

I am actually playing IP stuff in Beach City in Sims 3 and playing Uni with 2 Universities with 8 Sims in each in Sims 2 - as well as playing in Strangerville in Sims 4.

It honestly doesn't help the Sims games missing those things as i said - but it satisfies "my missing" of that particular gameplay.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    What I miss: human behavior that makes sense. If the Sims 4 team had actually consulted with a few behavioral psychologists, I think we would have a much better game -- especially since the emotion system is so paramount.
  • SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    - Beaches (swimming in the ocean, boating, jet skiing, etc.)
    - Dynamic interactions with other sims (playing soccer together, playing frisbee together, jamming together, tossing the football/ baseball, jogging together, walking together)
    - Drums, bass, electric guitar
    - Open World
    - Build World
    - Partners cuddling while sleeping, or cuddling on bed and chatting
    - Slow dancing
    - Nraas (I know, not an actual Sims franchise- but it enabled total control over everything)
    - Fruits/ Veggies/ Plants growing all on their own on public lots (no having to visit!)
    - Waaaay more build/buy items in catalog
    - Waaaay more choice for voices of sims (pitch)
    - Pool tables
    - Trampolines
    - Gem collecting/ gem cutting
    - Ability to place lots (especially 64x64) almost anywhere (when in world build mode), and ability to place trees anywhere you want (in world build mode).
    - Nice interactions ("Thank for cooking/ cleaning", etc.)
    - Grocery stores
    - Fairies (good ones)
    - Way more tree choices (and landscaping plants in general)
    - No 'awkward' interaction moodlets if a sim couple are chatting in the same group discussion
    - Ability to paint ceiling tiles
    - Pond tool
    - Cars, bikes, etc.
    - Waterfalls (for pools)
    - BuyDeBug effects (like waterfall effects, fog, etc.)
    - Sandbox (and that adults and elders could actually build sandcastles)

Hmmm... I could go on... Maybe I should soldier through an old sims3 save (even with the unbearable lag), because I really, really miss the dynamic play of it.
  • SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    Oops! Almost forgot a really important one....

The ability to purchase on Steam! Less expensive, more sales, and a lot of people (that I know) refuse to get TS4 because it's not on Steam (not even when TS4 just did the free thing).
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited May 2019
    I miss emotions.

For a game that touted emotions as its key draw, TS4 has distilled emotions down to its most bare bones and most of them are positive.

There are no emotions like:

guilt
    envy
    jealousy (TS4's jealousy is more like insecurity and co-dependence than true jealousy.)
    fear
    worry
    relief
    pride
    surprise
    discomfort (That is, emotional discomfort, not the "uncomfortable" of TS4 that seems to represent physical discomfort)

It was possible for all of those emotions to be conveyed in previous games, even though they didn't have big, bold labels attached to them. TS4 hasn't been able to accomplish this. There's so much nuance in life and the emotions that the developers have chosen to represent in TS4 simply don't cut it. They're not even close.

In TS4, tense and uncomfortable are the catchall for the emotions that don't include smiling, crying, or scowling. Its so annoying when I can't seem to provoke an appropriate response in a Sim. Tense is not the same as worried. Physical discomfort is not the same as fear. I wish that the team would take some time to add some of these types of responses to the game. Without them, the emotion system will continue to fall flat.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • SerpentStareSerpentStare Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm new to Sims 4, trying to give it a good honest go. I have really not got the hang of the game yet at all, particularly how the emotion system works with decor that supports different emotional states, etc.
    Things I miss immediately:

Base game hairstyles with colored ribbons and hair clips in them. Seriously, I don't get to accent an outfit with a hair bow?
    The colour picker - the ability to highlight my Sim's hair, give them yellow eyes, match my wardrobe how I like or style a whole bedroom in the colour of my choice without being restricted to one or two styles.
    And ditto the sims having the impulse to keep their attention on a fellow sim when having a conversation rather than ignoring them to check their phone. every. other. second.
    Any challenge to gardening?

...More to be added later, I'm sure.

Also, even in Sims 3, I really miss that sense of babies having life and animation to them rather than being objects which occasionally cry. Huge agreement to whoever said that, in this and other threads.
  • Pandasim2Pandasim2 Posts: 34 Member
    Most everything! Sims 4 is a major downgrade from 3 and I'm extremely disappointed with it. I know this will anger some but I've been playing Sims from the beginning with 1 and it got better with every installment until 4. Its fairly limited and boring now so I'm done. I'll just go back to playing the Sims 3 which was the best one in my opinion. Doubt I'll ever spend another dime on The Sims unless 5 is better than 3 (if there is a 5).
  • LoliGilLoliGil Posts: 30 Member
    Whenever I play Get to Work careers, I really miss open world. Day care or the other parent sometimes does a horrible job if I have a toddler at home, and I have to go through loading screens, waiting, and lost work times if I want to make them better without cheats.

Something really strange I miss all the time is the normal and plain furniture. Sims 3 let you get normal bookshelves and normal couches and normal everything. In Sims 4 I have like two options for a normal desk and I can't find a decent chair to go with it. Everything is fancy, hipster, modern, and almost abstract art.

Other things would be:
    Aspiration rewards that actually helped
    Personality traits positively and negatively effecting skills
    Firefighters
    Police officers and burglars
    Spiral staircases, ladders, and elevators
    The color wheel
    I have 99 problems and spiral stairs would solve at least 13
    Origin ID: Emilissa
  • SerpentStareSerpentStare Posts: 2 New Member
    This one seems weird and I just noticed it.

The game tracking which books a sim has read by title rather than by object. In Sims 4, this is tracked and deciding to read a book already read will show "reread" instead of read... but only if it is the same copy of the book. If I read "The Orbital Pudding" at a friend's house, the copy of "The Orbital Pudding" at the library, or for that matter at home, is not also marked as read.
  • stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    Prom for teen sims, teaching teen sims how to drive, pranks, ability to trick o' treat by going to other houses, cars, more stuff for the younger sims to do especially teens. so much more.
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]