Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How does The Sims cheer you up?

Hello!

All of us get sad sometimes, and for many of us The Sims is a way to cheer us up. I thought it would be nice to hear what about The Sims cheers you up or maybe what do you do while you are sad in The Sims to help you. I thought it would be nice for people to share their experiences and for people who are currently going through horrible things to be able to get some ideas on what to do in The Sims to hopefully help them.

For me what cheers me up in The Sims is how I can escape to a world so much like ours but at the same time.. so much more goofy. I love making my Sim go out into public lots and make friends when I feel sad, it takes my mind off things.

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited June 2019
    Hello!

All of us get sad sometimes, and for many of us The Sims is a way to cheer us up. I thought it would be nice to hear what about The Sims cheers you up or maybe what do you do while you are sad in The Sims to help you. I thought it would be nice for people to share their experiences and for people who are currently going through horrible things to be able to get some ideas on what to do in The Sims to hopefully help them.

For me what cheers me up in The Sims is how I can escape to a world so much like ours but at the same time.. so much more goofy. I love making my Sim go out into public lots and make friends when I feel sad, it takes my mind off things.

Nice thread.
    I like to go to a family in Brindleton Bay and take their dog on a long walk, following the Sim with a right click on their icon. That cheers me up as it did when I had a dog in real life. Every now and then you can stop to meet another Sim to talk to or the dog discovers something for my Sim in the sand dunes. :)
  • PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Hello!

Nice thread.
    I like to go to a family in Brindleton Bay and take their dog on a long walk, following the Sim with a right click on their icon. That cheers me up as it did when I had a dog in real life. Every now and then you can stop to meet another Sim to talk to or the dog discovers something for my Sim in the sand dunes. :)

That is a wonderful thing to do! I will have to try that whenever I feel down. Sounds so relaxing!
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I like to have my kids out playing and watching them have fun. I had a child Sim living with her older sister and her roommates. The girl when out to play at the playground and invited the whole household out to have a water balloon fight. It was nice to see them all have a good time (the older sister is pretty uptight, so I wanted her to relax lol).
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    The sims cheers me up because in this world I can work to improve the life of my sims. And they are often so very happy about the changes, just adding some decorations and building them a nicer house and they become so much happier. They are always happy with that they get and they are generally very nice to each other. They strive to get friends and do fun things together, things that I feel we do not focus on enough in our real world. And since you can shape the world to what you want you can create your ideal world, how you feel your sims should live. Redecorate or move them to a better house, give them better clothes, become friends with new people, work hard to get promotions, hang out at amazing community lots, create new families etc.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Most times what ends up making me smile or giggle is usually because of something the cats and dogs are doing. I just love the details they put in their behavior. First time I saw my cat ride on the vaccuum was the best.
  • stephanie132392stephanie132392 Posts: 91 Member
    The sims helps me relax. I always end up laughing or smiling!
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited June 2019
    When I really connect with certain sims , I enjoy seeing their relationships become strong and it cheers me up because I love these little pixel people <3
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    The Sims has been a great escape since I started playing it in 2001. If its the game play, building, creating sims or my favorite, creating CC for the game (only in TS1 and now started doing CC in TS4) it is a way of escaping the reality of life, and coping with difficult life situations.

Right now, I'm playing almost 24/7, except when I sleep, because a close relative died, just a month before his 50th birthday. He was only a month older than me, and we were neighbours, and in the same class in school. So I'm sitting here playing, and remembering the silly, warm and some times dumb things he did and said. Sims help me think about the positive side of things, and let the negative go. As the song goes: always look on the bright side of life. And that's what I want to remember about my cousin, he was always cheerful and full of enthusiasm. And my sims show me that every day.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I love putting my issues into creativity, whether is, building, CAS, or story telling, Sims is the best place for me to get lost and express my emotions through being creative. Also just having a virtual world to escape to and you can control it into what you want. It really helps my anxiety as well. :)
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I really envy people who can use a game to cheer themselves up or take their mind off things. I can for shooter games (like Payday 2) but if I'm sad, anxious, or upset, I can't play Sims at all.

For me, Sims is as much a mental game as anything else, so if I'm not in the right state of mind, I can't play my game.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I always get lost in time when I'm playing sims. It's not something specific that I do with my sims, it's just playing... It eats time. When I realize, hours have been gone and I didn't notice cause I was having fun. So, in the most difficult times of my life I didn't relied on the game, but when I was playing it, time passed much better.
  • midnitetechmidnitetech Posts: 283 Member
    It definitely helps my anxiety, but if I don't have a gameplan, I just get stressed. I have to know roughly where I'm going with my gameplay. I recently started a new story if you would like take a look. It's called Becoming Alex, and is about a young artist who wants to follow her heart. (midnitetech.tumblr.com/gameplay)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited June 2019
    I don't think I've ever used it as a way to cheer up. Usually if I was feeling sad I wouldn't feel like playing a game. Although I can't say I'm sad very often. I do like to play it to relax though
    Thank you everyone for replying! I love reading everyone's replies so please don't be shy and post away!
    I am sorry I haven't been able to reply to everyone I am just so busy I will make sure to in the next few days :)
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Sims makes me smile. Sometimes I play the game for ten minutes without even playing it. I just have my favorite Sim play guitar or piano and sing songs and I listen. It brings a smile to me face. Just being in that moment, is beautiful. Sometimes I take the game so fast paced, try to do everything, and it's fun, but sometimes you just need to do something simple, like watch a couple of toddlers interact with each other or a Sim paint a picture, or a Sim cook a meal. Just watching the simple things is so relaxing. It makes me happy.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The Sims helps me rewind and relax after a long day. I like to create a beautiful sim that I spend 30 minutes on (which feels like FOREVER because I'm super impatient) and it looks amazing. I don't know why, but it's like ASMR to me... unless my brothers are in the room, they are walking, level 5 HURRICANES.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I can’t play if I have too much on my mind. If I am only a little sad, playing can help me clear my head. But once I am done playing, I would feel sad again, perhaps even worse for wasting the day away.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    For me, it's making my sims do a lot of the things I can't due to anxiety, depression and several chronic illnesses that make me disabled. My sims feel no pain, so they can do everything - and boy do I make them! It's my little escape, where I get to be a Goddess. And it's often so cheerful that I end up feeling a bit better just by proximity.
  • ZyamanaiZyamanai Posts: 15 Member
    The sims cheers me up by allowing me to experience new and exciting paths to life that are hard to come by in real life. Plus I can adopt *all* of the animals I want and no one can tell me no haha. It's silly, fun, and just a joy to escape to.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Hello!

I play my sillier and goofball sims and let them be as autonomous as possible to watch the silly things they'll do. I have them make other sims laugh.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • SilvyrRainSilvyrRain Posts: 20 Member
    Like @WildIrishBanshee, I have severe chronic illnesses and am disabled. I live with a great deal of chronic pain. Gaming as a whole is a great distraction for me. There's a reason why many people in the chronic pain community have nicknamed their gaming PC or console the "pain box".

Now, specifically the Sims, well, I'm technically "new" to the Sims 4 although I played it a bit when it first came out. However, I've been a hardcore Sims 2 player for all of these years. I may play a lot of different games, but Sims 2 has been the great consistent game that I would always return to. I have full on kingdoms I've been building in that game. Playing that game always makes me feel comfort, even during difficult times. Now, I'm back to trying out the Sims 4 since it has improved so much. I'm hoping it will also become a consistent game.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I like to escape into my game, too. Sometimes, the day just gets too oppressive when all kinds of things go horribly wrong and you have no control. In my game I get to change that. I am in charge of what happens, to a large extent. Should a Sim suffer an untimely death, I can exit without saving and pick up the game where I left off. (Or start over.) Also, the Sims are a group of silly little pixels that do silly stuff when you least expect it. They make me laugh and that's always good. :)

I suffered through a very hard patch that lasted for two and a half years, quite awhile back. My Dad passed away and I took that very hard. From that point on, I lost people in my 'inner' circle on the average of every 6-8 weeks. During this time I even had to have the family dog put down. Got home from that to find out my two sons' Godfather had passed away. :open_mouth: In all about 16 people. It was rough. So rough that when one of my Sims died of old-age, I couldn't just carry that game save forward. I had no idea at that time that old age was the one death you couldn't plead with Grimmie to reverse. :'( It was a fun game save up until that moment. The Dad was a doddering old Sim and I could swear he was going senile! He would act as if he'd forgotten what he was doing, then just go do something else completely. Needless to say, blubbering as I was, I deleted that game save to start it fresh. In all, this game kept me from crawling back inside of my shell to stay there, for good.

Yesterday, my computer and I argued. It wanted to crash, left right and sideways, and I decided after using the compressed air on its innards, I would clean out the programs, too. Found out I have a ridiculous amount of duplicate files (mostly from my Family Tree Maker) and it took a good thirty minutes to have the scan produce the list and the rest of the day for me to only get about 3/4 of an inch down the scroll thingie -->

My eyes were bloodshot and stinging. All I really wanted to do was play my game. But, trying to do a good thing ate my day up! I wouldn't be over here, now, but for the fact it took over ten minutes and the lot still wasn't 'built'. As in I was placing it from the Gallery. Oi!

I truly need some Sim-Therapy. Byee~
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I just use gaming as a stress reliever. Although Sims 4 has too many bugs and glitches to accomplish that for me anymore. I play other games to get rid of stress. I only play the sims if I am willing to deal with the frustration after about 15 minutes.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    What a nice idea for a conversation!

I've always loved the creativity in the sims, and being creative puts me in a good mood.
    The sims also serves as an effective form of escapism - don't get me wrong; I have a good life and I don't wish to escape from it, but life can be a bit boring sometimes, especially if you're having a day where you've got nothing much planned, plus I believe a bit of fantasy and imagination is good for us.

I also feel genuine happiness seeing my creativity come to life and the little digital people I care about going about their day. :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    I like to have my kids out playing and watching them have fun. I had a child Sim living with her older sister and her roommates. The girl when out to play at the playground and invited the whole household out to have a water balloon fight. It was nice to see them all have a good time (the older sister is pretty uptight, so I wanted her to relax lol).
    That is so nice to hear! Did they live without a mother? It sounds like a very interesting household!
    logion wrote: »
    The sims cheers me up because in this world I can work to improve the life of my sims. And they are often so very happy about the changes, just adding some decorations and building them a nicer house and they become so much happier. They are always happy with that they get and they are generally very nice to each other. They strive to get friends and do fun things together, things that I feel we do not focus on enough in our real world. And since you can shape the world to what you want you can create your ideal world, how you feel your sims should live. Redecorate or move them to a better house, give them better clothes, become friends with new people, work hard to get promotions, hang out at amazing community lots, create new families etc.
    I agree with you that The Sims really do become happily easily, they are always so grateful for everything! I try to take example from them by also being grateful for small things in life. I do love how big The Sims is and how much we can actually do with our Sims, it is so fun!
    soko37 wrote: »
    Most times what ends up making me smile or giggle is usually because of something the cats and dogs are doing. I just love the details they put in their behavior. First time I saw my cat ride on the vaccuum was the best.
    I agree so much! I have Cats & Dogs and for now I only have a dog, I am planning to create a new save file of a family with an immortal cat.. see how it goes. I hope I will see my cat riding on a vaccuum too!
    When I really connect with certain sims , I enjoy seeing their relationships become strong and it cheers me up because I love these little pixel people <3
    I also enjoy when my Sims make friends with other Sims it is so nice to watch!

Kathykins wrote: »
    The Sims has been a great escape since I started playing it in 2001. If its the game play, building, creating sims or my favorite, creating CC for the game (only in TS1 and now started doing CC in TS4) it is a way of escaping the reality of life, and coping with difficult life situations.

Right now, I'm playing almost 24/7, except when I sleep, because a close relative died, just a month before his 50th birthday. He was only a month older than me, and we were neighbours, and in the same class in school. So I'm sitting here playing, and remembering the silly, warm and some times dumb things he did and said. Sims help me think about the positive side of things, and let the negative go. As the song goes: always look on the bright side of life. And that's what I want to remember about my cousin, he was always cheerful and full of enthusiasm. And my sims show me that every day.

I am very sorry for your loss. I am glad that The Sims 4 has been helping you during this tough time, grief is so difficult so please keep strong and keep remembering all the positives things that you can! I hope that The Sims 4 will continue helping you in this way. I 100% agree that The Sims is such a good franchise to escape from difficult situations.
    I love putting my issues into creativity, whether is, building, CAS, or story telling, Sims is the best place for me to get lost and express my emotions through being creative. Also just having a virtual world to escape to and you can control it into what you want. It really helps my anxiety as well. :)
    I am glad that The Sims 4 helps your anxiety! It helps mine too! It lets me relax so much. I am glad that The Sims is somewhere you feel you can be so creative, it is good to see everyone expressing their creativity!

ChelleJo wrote: »
    I really envy people who can use a game to cheer themselves up or take their mind off things. I can for shooter games (like Payday 2) but if I'm sad, anxious, or upset, I can't play Sims at all.

For me, Sims is as much a mental game as anything else, so if I'm not in the right state of mind, I can't play my game.

Understandable! I also have that with many things! For example when I am often very sad I struggle to feel hungry till I feel better..
    telmarina wrote: »
    I always get lost in time when I'm playing sims. It's not something specific that I do with my sims, it's just playing... It eats time. When I realize, hours have been gone and I didn't notice cause I was having fun. So, in the most difficult times of my life I didn't relied on the game, but when I was playing it, time passed much better.

I totally get the same thing! I often sit down just to relax and play.. the next thing I know it is 1am. It is so relaxing though.. especially after a long and hard day.
    It definitely helps my anxiety, but if I don't have a gameplan, I just get stressed. I have to know roughly where I'm going with my gameplay. I recently started a new story if you would like take a look. It's called Becoming Alex, and is about a young artist who wants to follow her heart. (midnitetech.tumblr.com/gameplay)
    I am glad the game helps your anxiety! I totally understand that, I get that a bit too. I often get anxious when I am not sure where my save file will go, I look at everyone who has amazing and long stories and feel like.. my save file is awful since I don't have a story and I struggle to make one. I will definitely look at your blog link!

I don't think I've ever used it as a way to cheer up. Usually if I was feeling sad I wouldn't feel like playing a game. Although I can't say I'm sad very often. I do like to play it to relax though

Understandable! Often when I am sad I also don't feel like doing many things. Playing the game to relax is great especially after a long day!

I am sorry that I haven't been able to reply to everyone yet! I love reading everyone's replies so please keep posting them!