Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 aMAYzing Gift Exchange ~ DONE :)

Comments

• Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @SamelaRita
    Petersen's Boardwalk is a fun place for sims to go! Old Man Petersen had a good idea.
    The Wainwright Place is perfect for Appaloosa Plains! The garden is the right size to feed a small family as well as earn a little extra income plus there's plenty of room for a horse or two.
  • Options
    AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @AIRIS6962
    Thank YOU for making a group gift! <3

Far from the Worldly Noise is perfect for Hidden Springs! It's like a cabin but oh so much better. LOVE the combination of stone, wood and other materials on the exterior ... alternating the wood/stone pillars with fencing adds a nice detail while opening up the space so it doesn't seem too enclosed. The interior is warm and welcoming!! Easy to see a couple invite a few friends over for an enjoyable dinner. You mentioned fishing and swimming in the pond ... yours looks much nicer than the ones I made!

Thank you very much to you, dear! <3
    But :flushed: I had a mistake in that description, sorry. I´m afraid that sims can´t swim in the pond, only to fish. I think I was in "TS4 mode" when I typed that. It´s the same with enlarge stuff, I always try to do it in TS3 :joy:
  • Options
    AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    Dear @60smusicluvr I am trying to upload your gifts, and the stories that go with them. Trying is the operative word...my imageshack account has suddenly decided that my free trial has run out (I've been paying for about a couple of years!) and so it won't let me upload the images, my launcher is uploading some of your gifts but not others...like, not the main one for starters! This is so frustrating, and I am so sorry. Addy has the files for your gifts and she can email them to you, if you like - and I'll put up the stories anyway, and you can see some pictures. Oh, and my game kept crashing every time I went in to take some screenshots. :s We think the actual physical crack in the disc might have something to do with that....
    You said you'd just discovered how much you liked Apaloosa Plains, so I made you some buildings and some families to go in there. I was hoping to have time to do over a house for the other set of grandparents, but time got away with me!
    Story links here:
    This is about the house itself.
    https://samelasstories.blogspot.com/2019/05/hillview-house.html
    And this is the Merediths and Wainwrights.
    https://samelasstories.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-merediths-by-personality.html
    This is the Wainwright Place - Jake and Sigrid's farm. You can move them out to it, with a money cheat!
    https://samelasstories.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-wainwright-place.html
    The Petersen boardwalk did upload, so the link to that is here:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9312030
    I hope you like them - no, I hope you get them! And I'm sorry that the technology has been conspiring against us both - I got back from holiday yesterday and thought, Oh, loading these will fit nicely in between the four loads of washing and ironing - bit of one, bit of the other, nice and peaceful. Ha! Not so! But we will overcome eventually! ;)

The Petersen boardwalk is really charming! <3
    Wainwright Place - Jake and Sigrid's farm is sooo lovely! I love farms and you made it truly beautiful <3
  • Options
    60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    @SamelaRita, no need to worry about the pictures for the Wainwright Place (although, I bet you want to get those on there, eventually), I've already gotten the lot downloaded. ;) I'm not sure what the lot looked like originally, but I love the openness of it, which is more than enough for horses to run and play. The fact that it's got a large indoor barn (something I have not done with my own few farmhouses) is nice, too. I like the cute, blue shutter windows (I think that's from Aurora Skies, if I'm not mistaken)you used. The kitchen and dining space is really nice and open and the kids room is super cute. I added some fish and butterfly spawners in the yard.

Hillview house looks lovely. I love the black and white diamond pattern in the kitchen set off by the rich, red cabinets. The dining area looks nice and cozy. The red couches in the living room stand out very nicely against the white fireplace. All the bedrooms are unique from each other, but I especially like the green bedroom, which looks calming.

I look forward to playing the Meredith's and enjoyed their story that was shared earlier about them.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    my game is fixed. i have all the packs loaded,
  • Options
    Going to officially close this "event" but ...
    feel free to continue gifting, chatting, sharing pictures of gifts in action.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Just a note to @SamelaRita - Sometimes, if the file size of the upload is too large - like 10 MB with UIC pics - the the launcher simply can't upload it. So, trimming back on some UIC replacements helps. Just an idea...

On your game crashing... that's not so good.
    Try renaming the sims 3 folder and creating a brand new one OR copying in your backup sims 3 folder if you created a copy after installing just your store items before playing.

Then, copy in just the library files or installing the export files (after ensuring you have all your store items and worlds - dcCache, InstalledWorlds, and that ccmerged file in dcBACKup).

Launch your game with the new sims 3 folder that hasn't been played before. When you get in game, place your lots & households and look around to see if they look right. Edit the name slightly, by adding "The" to the beginning or something, and then share. Try to upload again.

Maybe you already tried this. If so, I'm not sure what else you can do.
  • Options
    SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @60smusicluvr Here's the Meredith-Wainwright families - this is the basic, unskilled version of them. I think maybe that's why the other file wouldn't upload to the launcher properly (it said it had uploaded! The file is in my exports folder. But would it show up in my studio? Noooo) because between them they had quite a few skills.
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9312149
    I'm now going to play with the house again and see if it will co-operate this time.
    @ciane Thanks (again!) for the really helpful advice to the techno-dumb (me!) There aren't any UIC pics, because I didn't know how to do that, though as my husband said, that's a fun thing to be able to do. We're going to be trying the rest of your suggestions over the weekend :)
  • Options
    @SamelaRita
    They're a lovely looking large family! Shame the skilled version won't upload but people will enjoy personalizing them as they go along. :)

{{ fingers crossed }}
    Hope you'll be able to figure out the issues preventing the main gift from uploading.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Here's the link to the UIC - Upload Image Changer (I think): http://www.zindasgoldensims.com/
    Note: You will see the new images in the UIC program and once it's uploaded, but NOT in the launcher.

It's so easy to use now. After you have shared your lot/sim/household/pet, the file goes into the export folder. The UIC program looks at what's in the launcher to export and gives you options to choose the one you want when you click OPEN. Then you see how many images will be displayed and you can choose REPLACE and browse to the image you want to replace it with. The image can be almost any type (png, jpg, gif) so you can use either an unchanged or an edited screenshot. If editing, try to stick with a square shape, but know that the launcher does cut off the bottom. So, I like to make a 1000x1000 square in GIMP and center my screenshot on the top with a wide white background showing on the bottom. Then the cut off portion isn't part of the picture and the rest of the white is where the < and > are normally covering the picture.

When you replace one image, you simply go to the next image and keep replacing until you either run out or you quit to keep the file size down. Some simmers only change out the first pic. Others might only change out the first couple. I usually leave the last one so people can see the normal EA build.

I think that your main problem was that you had uploaded or attempted to upload a file with the same name. Whether that file is in your studio or not, the launcher knows it already did it and will add a (1) to the end; thus keeping it from uploading as the launcher doesn't like characters.

Sometimes, though a game, build, or family will get corrupt. You can't see it, but the launcher won't upload it. So, saving to the bin and placing in a brand new world should let it upload when you attempt to share again with a slightly different name.

If you use SAVE instead of SAVE AS or if you go to the main menu and select a different save to play, THEN stuff gets carried over to the new save that might not belong there or has the potential to corrupt that save. So, ALWAYS use SAVE AS and ALWAYS use QUIT and reload your game to play a different save.

If you are like me, you keep your saves separate and can pull out the save you were playing and paste it in your EA saves folder outside of the Sims 3 Folder. Then, you copy in the save you want to play. With only one save in the game, it'll load faster and have less chance to become corrupt.

You don't have to backup the entire Sims 3 folder if all your saves have the same stuff installed. If however, you've stylized each Sims 3 folder so that one is for medieval times only and another is futuristic only or one has only EA content and one has cc, then it's easier, if you have room, to simply rename your sims 3 folder and swap out the whole folder - but it is only really certain folders that would be affected: dccache, installedworlds, library, saved sims, and the mods folder). So, you could create folders titled medieval and futuristic and cc, etc. and place your saves in those folders along with the pertinent other folders. For example, you want a desert island. You install that world in an empty or almost Sims 3 game. You choose what you want to install in for that look. When done, you create a folder called Sims 3 isle and place the save folder, dccache folder, installed worlds folder, and saved sims and library if needed. Whenever you want to play that save. You would copy those folders from your current sims 3 folder to a different folder along with that saved game. Then you would paste in all your files/folders from the isle folder.

It's like cleaning out your caches, screenshots, and old saves when you finish playing to prepare for your next game session.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    @60smusicluvr Here's the Meredith-Wainwright families - this is the basic, unskilled version of them. I think maybe that's why the other file wouldn't upload to the launcher properly (it said it had uploaded! The file is in my exports folder. But would it show up in my studio? Noooo) because between them they had quite a few skills.
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9312149
    I'm now going to play with the house again and see if it will co-operate this time.
    @ciane Thanks (again!) for the really helpful advice to the techno-dumb (me!) There aren't any UIC pics, because I didn't know how to do that, though as my husband said, that's a fun thing to be able to do. We're going to be trying the rest of your suggestions over the weekend :)

UIC can be fun, and is relatively easy with gimp. Although you can tell by my uploads that I seldom use it as much these days.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    @Jessabeans Thought you'd like to see how your renovacy has inspired me. :) Which it certainly did -it's been great fun to start and made me find a different voice for the story telling as well. Hope you enjoy reading what your gift brought into life!
    @ciane thanks again for more helpful advice. My poor husband has caught the cold that I picked up in America, so he's not feeling at his brightest, but we'll go through that together some time very soon.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    That was beautiful @SamelaRita, I hope you and your husband feel better soon.
  • Options
    Here's a link to @SamelaRita 's story for @Jessabeans 's renovation challenge of the old mill gift:
    https://samelasstories.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-old-mill-chapter-1.html

If you haven't read a story by @SamelaRita, you are in for a treat!
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »
    Here's a link to @SamelaRita 's story for @Jessabeans 's renovation challenge of the old mill gift:
    https://samelasstories.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-old-mill-chapter-1.html

If you haven't read a story by @SamelaRita, you are in for a treat!
    That's so sweet of you! Thanks <3

• Options
    @Jessabeans and @ADWilson
    Do either of you, or anyone else for that matter, no what this object is?
    screenshot-16.jpg?w=840

I can't pick it up or delete it. I haven't checked the lot in a different world yet though to see if shows up outside of Rflongs fire island.

I'll be running my next save through save cleaner to see if that makes it go away.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    screenshot-16.jpg?w=840

I can't pick it up or delete it. I haven't checked the lot in a different world yet though to see if shows up outside of Rflongs fire island.

I'll be running my next save through save cleaner to see if that makes it go away.

No, sorry, I have no idea what that is but if you could tell me which build it is ... I'll place it in my game and see if it happens on my end.
  • Options
    It looks like a sculpted hedge, very like the worlds of wonder ones. I'm curious if the base is below ground.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    ADWilson wrote: »
    screenshot-16.jpg?w=840

No, sorry, I have no idea what that is but if you could tell me which build it is ... I'll place it in my game and see if it happens on my end.

It's Jessabeans wonderful Tudor build. I just plopped it in Sunset Valley, so it's not world specific.
    screenshot-212.jpg?w=840

The only thing I haven't tried yet is turning on moo to see if I can grab it then. With tce on the only options I get are thumbnail reset options.

The other possible explanation is it's something I don't have (there are a few reward/treasure hunt items I don't have) that is being replaced by the game mechanics.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    It looks like a sculpted hedge, very like the worlds of wonder ones. I'm curious if the base is below ground.

I think you are/were on to something. I ran it over with the wonder wall with hedge & it disappeared. Which is odd given I'd tried that with regular fence and no luck.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options

I think you are/were on to something. I ran it over with the wonder wall with hedge & it disappeared. Which is odd given I'd tried that with regular fence and no luck.

In game now.
    Removing Dead Hedge didn't touch first one but removed the second one.
    1-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg

I then built a fence (used Fee Fie Foe Fence) over it and removing that also removed this one.
    3-2.jpg

Happy to know it is easy enough to "fix"/clean up but am sure @Jessabeans is even more so!
  • Options
    KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    Looks like it is a fence post, but for one of the hedge fences. I've seen it with other fence posts if one MOOs a fence gate somewhere there isn't fence, then move it again, it leaves fence posts behind that can't be deleted or moved directly. I usually get rid of them by connecting a fence to them, then deleting it. Might be it had to be done with a kind of fence that creates the same kind of posts, which is why it worked with the hedge, but not regular fence.
  • Options
    Thank you @ADWilson & @KaytayRoall, despite the fence/posts I'm loving this lot so much.

Magda, not so much, at least not yet. ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm sorry about that, it's a leftover from when I had a hedge with a gate there before I replaced it with the withered hedges from the Manor venue. Going over it with the hedge should remove it, I thought I had gotten both sides after changing it. I pretty much built houses like I normally would and then went back in and to 'ruined' them so I knew they would work once finished. I'm sure there was a more straight-forward way to build.

I appreciate the trouble shooting, and sorry about that, I tried to use MOO/CFE sparingly so it would be easy to renovate but I get a little carried away sometimes.

I will catch up when we get back into town tonight. Sorry about it.

Ciane mentioned earlier sunken objects, I did sink the water pump rocks under the ground, but you can grab it from the top part with no issue to sell it. I didn't sink anything else, in Windermere I moved the curtains higher. That should be it.

Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • Options
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    I'm sorry about that, it's a leftover from when I had a hedge with a gate there before I replaced it with the withered hedges from the Manor venue. Going over it with the hedge should remove it, I thought I had gotten both sides after changing it.

@Jessabeans don't stress it, the lot has so many fun little surprises tucked around.

I'm sure that SamelaRita will enjoy it as much as I am. If you pop over to the renovacy thread you'll find a link to my current story and how Magda ended up with your wonderful build. o:)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top