Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is University so wanted? Can someone tell me why? I've never played it myself so I'm interested.

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I hope, if or when we get the Uni pack, that it's more in deph than what we got in 2/3. Those were super centered in the time spent at the campus and very few centered in how the university experience was reflected in the remaining life of the sims. I would love to see carrers upgraded, with new levels that would only be achievable for sims that finished a degree,just like in real life. I've also love that all education stages, from primary school on, would be improved so that marks would really matter. At this moment i think that is completely useless to have your sims study hard at primary or secondary school cause it adds nothing.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    It's part of my Sims circle of life.
    I really don't start generation play until I get university.
    University is where my young sims are shaped as far a personality and careers are concerned.

In the past expansions, University brought more careers and gave sims additional traits and want slots.
    They usually meet their future spouses there too. University also adds a change of regular game play after you have played the parents through their careers and the kids are grown up.

That's how I play as well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Well for one you get new careers, ones you have to actually get a degree to do. It's also fun because it brings realism in the game. I also like to play with my sims meeting other people while at school, like significant others and friends that will have the rest of their life. I'm not sure what sims 4 will do with it, but in previous games the EP has been massive with lots of new skills added and tons of content and a new world.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I've played University in 2/3, but the thing about those iterations vs TS4 is that they made teens different, and had a lot of them to do without making them look like adults.

I know we aren't going to get shorter teens, but what I'd like is more stuff for teens to do besides part time jobs and two clubs. I'd love for a university pack to add just... more for teens as they prep for college.

I'd rather have a dedicated TEEN pack than it be shoe horned into a Uni pack. A uni pack should be about YA's since they are who college is meant for.

Totally agree seeing teens did not go to Uni - technically. In Sims 2 they were teens when they graduated high school and left for college - but the minute they stepped in the dorm they aged up to YA's. I liked how Sims 2 Uni was as it was more or less my life and the life of all the "Teens" in my family. You leave for college a teen and grow up into a Young adult when you start this new part of your life. For my family it has always been considered a rite of passage and the next step after high school graduation - where you learn to care for yourself, learn what will carry you through the largest period of you life, earning degrees that will help you form the rest of your life and hopefully meeting other people that you can see yourself being important parts of your future.

Sims 3 Uni was different and didn't seem to me to hold the same importance on the same scale as Sims 2 Uni. Colleges of Life long learning I always looked at as updates to ones real college life and why I do hope Uni - if we get it - follows the way Sims 2 Uni did living on campus etc - maybe adding a few places on campus for life long learning - for older Sims (like in Sims 3 - but they would not live on Campus).

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    For me it’s all about the immersion. It’s just not realistic for sims to graduate high school and BOOM you’re a doctor or scientist 🤷‍♀️ Some jobs yes, but not all. Also there’s a noticeable gap (for me) that can only be filled by a Uni pack. So I hope very much so that we get one.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member
    Beer pong oh wait JUICE pong. Need I say more? :D
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    suzyl3 wrote: »
    Hi guys! I was just wondering, why does everyone seem to want a University Pack so much? I just wanna know about how great the previous university packs were since I didn't get to play them for myself and I wanna get hyped about it. Thanks!

Mainly because its a huge and important part of every human's life (or most of them, anyway).
  • simuellesimuelle Posts: 100 Member
    When I played TS3 in high school, I loved University Life because I could simulate my potential future (I like to play sims that are modeled after myself or people I know). Once in uni, I liked it because I could set my sims age length to epic and just model what my sim was doing after my own life. Now that I'm out of uni, I'd like University to further expand for legacy games. Just like how you get certain traits from completing all the scout badges, being well mannered, a good toddler life, etc., you can have a trait such as University Graduate or something. Plus, I imagine an EP like this in Sims 4 would add things like more after school activities, maybe events such as "University Entrance Exam Day", new careers, and much more. Plus, maybe going to university will give you an added boost when you join a career, such as skipping a level or two and starting out at a higher point.
    tumblr; punchella origin id; liujiaxie
    NNePthn.png
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    For me, it’s just another great way to tell out the stories of their lives. It gives more depth to my Sims, and I would look forward to my young adult Sims doing more than just partying.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    It is like another life stage. It also where I like to let my sims party, get into trouble, meet new Sims, etc before they have to get serious about jobs and such. I had more fun with 2 than 3. Not being able to send all the neighborhood kids to college at the same time was a bummer. If it is like Sims 3 where I can only send one household at a time, I might not bother with it. I hope they really think about the rotational players this time. Seasons was hard enough trying to make it work on a rotation.
  • CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I played ts2 on console and was like 6 when I played ts1. So I never got to experience university properly until the sims 2 ultimate collection was released, and it was the first pack I dived into. I would love to revisit it in the sims 4, which is the first in the series I've collected all packs for so far.

I feel the university experience would add to the stories and individuality of my sims, and I won't feel pressured to pop out a kid earlier in their ya life.
    caitytrina.png
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I loved TS2 University. The College Rock station is my favorite Sims music they’ve ever added. I added the music to my library and to this day it still brings me back when I hear it. I can even picture the lazy way they walked, that people made fun of.

TS3’s version of Uni must not have been very fun because I can hardly remember it and I assumed I missed it until just now when I looked at images from it - I definitely remember the architecture, I think I must have played it.

If/when we get this pack for TS4, I want rotational play to be possible and I would love to have College Rock again! Oh and multiple instruments playing together in a band!!
  • JesseBabe23JesseBabe23 Posts: 11 New Member
    I feel like it adds more to the gameplay overall and gives young adults more of a purpose. Like someone else said, I use the YA stage now to just kind of figure out what path they want to go on, party, and be with multiple partners until they turn into an adult and have to get serious about a job/starting a family. I just think it would be fun to get University back because it adds some really fun new content to the game. I really enjoyed going to classes, staying in the dorms, renting houses with other sims, going to the themed parties. It added more realism to the game, which I enjoy.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited May 2019
    I enjoy University because I like having the option for my Teens to grow into Young Adults and pursue new opportunities. Being a family player this would just add more interactions and activities for my families to do. For instance, having two teens go off to college together. I do hope it is a little more challenging this time around and maybe there is some UI that has "branches" that we could follow and get perks that would help shape our Sims personality, strength, weaknesses, skills, etc. (this would then open up the new career opportunities).

Also I always enjoy the Sorority house/Frat house options. I'm hoping that Sims will be able to try to pledge to different houses that they desire to get into and that the sororities and frat houses will have rival activities. I'd also like for the University to have the option for 'Legacy" Sims to be known and for rival sororities and frats to compete to get those Legacy Sims into their houses.

Then houses could have parties (some examples, toga, tail gate/keg, bonfire, etc) They could have other activities and events and maybe even a competition against all the houses to win prizes/trophies for their houses.

Then of course - the ability to get an education to work on new skills and to get a degree to open up new career paths. Also hoping that some of those career paths could be more skills that allow Sims to make money from home as I tend to like to use skills to make money than go through a career path (at least until the house gets bigger that I may need a Sim or two to leave the house for a few Sim hours so I can get control of their needs, if necessary).

I'd like class lectures, like in Sims 3, where we could have an interactive 'class' but also a rabbit hole class schedule and study groups, study alone, online, and do research for research papers, or to join groups (like in Sims 3, they had Jock, Geek, etc), maybe they could come up with different groups, or more and then this could help influence their University life experiences and stuff like that.

But - it's basically to just give my families more things to do to shape them, to grow them as I like the realism aspect to further develop my Sims as they reach new goals in their lives and then start their own families. :)

*Edit* and yesss, I loved the secret Societies in Sims 2!! (: ) I would also like to see those return in Sims 4. And definitely want them to have to do tasks in order to get in and also have them be turned down for secret societies, as well as frats and sorority houses.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't want supernatural packs, but I dont question those who do. University is a must for me. But I also buy all of the packs because they ALL have something to offer.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    I simply need drama in my game to spill more tea
    y'all got bread?
    edited June 2019
    It defines your whole life - one of lifes big turning points for most people I know. So to me it is very important of the transition between child and being your own adult person. Everyone in my family graduates high school and goes to college. It's just the way it is with most people I know.

When each of my babies were born the local banks send new parent a college account starter kit for your newborn - so parent plan their child future college - from day one. It is important to a lot of people. I cannot imagine never having gone to University - I even went back several times over the years to get more degrees and to update courses I had taken when I could.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Irdiwen wrote: »
    I’m a legacy player and I love having the option of giving my sims a higher education or have them carve out a different path. The option to choose is great, and Uni has always added a lot of fun extra options, a lot of new gameplay and cheaper, useful objects.
    I went to Uni myself and loved that, so I love sharing that experience with my sims.

Same I remember the stress of exams pre gaming in the kitchen befor hitting the clubs and resins to party here were a few of my favourites.

1: It’s the weekend
    2: it’s not the weekend
    3:We won a game
    4.we lost a game
    5.I passed a test
    6:I failed a test

Dam I loved uni and I want the same for my sims including finding out the lamb mince and teeca Masala sauce ( Do Not Mix)

• dadvansdadvans Posts: 24 Member
    I loved how it really separated my sims from the household to establish themselves as individuals. I always tried to adhere to longterm goals of my sims in S2, which meant adhering to their desired majors, greek life, etc. It always gave me a great structure to build their skills in line with their personality and wants, and when sending them back to the "real world" after graduating, generally gave me a great foundation for a generational subplot.

Honestly, after playing through generations of a specific family, I noticed my sims becoming smarter and more in tune with what was demanded of them coinciding with what they wanted. It made the game easier to play, but also more fun. It was hard to adjust to S4 without university, because it was such a rich character-building level of gameplay in S2 for me.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    For many real world teens, uni is something they aspire to, for older people, it's something they reminisce about. It's a high point in the lives of many. It's an experience that defines the transition between being a dependant, and becoming independent. It's a far more fun transition than going from school straight into boring work.

Also, it gives a bit more logic to many of the careers. Who would trust a doctor who hadn't been to uni?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    For many real world teens, uni is something they aspire to, for older people, it's something they reminisce about. It's a high point in the lives of many. It's an experience that defines the transition between being a dependant, and becoming independent. It's a far more fun transition than going from school straight into boring work.

Also, it gives a bit more logic to many of the careers. Who would trust a doctor who hadn't been to uni?

This in a nutshell. I liked TS3 Uni for the new career, CAS/objects, traits, career boosts, the social groups, etc. So while Uni isn't at the top of my want list, I won't say no to it either.
    I'd rather have a romance pack, fairies/witches, and a dedicated teen pack, in that order.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • katzsimovichkatzsimovich Posts: 15 New Member
    imo, TS2 university was just amazing... the first few times. it was a great way to get my sims to develop more skills before adulthood, which was way too short to begin with (29 days to reach the top of career, max skills AND build a family???) so the university path was rly just a way for me to "buy time" for my sims. then theres also the bonus careers and the career boosts. i didnt get to play with TS3 uni much, and for some reason TS2 had me burned out. but yeah, it does get old eventually. by the third generation, i just left my game on 3x speed til midterms and finals exams.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    honestly sims 3 university stressed me out (because im not that studious *cries*) so I didn't play the actual university that much
    what I mostly want is all the hobbies,parties,objects, social interaction, living with npcs etc that come with it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • TLM08TLM08 Posts: 105 Member
    University adds realism to the game for me and I loved the boost it gave to careers. Also with the Get together pack with the clubs I think university in TS4 has a chance to be really cool (and this is coming from someone who never utilizes the club function currently.) I really hope they release it soon.
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    As someone who has not played university in other versions of Sims, I want it just for that experience. I'm also excited about expanding on my storytelling and having that milestone in my Sims' lives. I'd really love to see more of a fleshing out of the whole education system though... not just adding university.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png